Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Raila1014 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
I know you are no fan of Dan Brown but this is reminding me a lot of Him at least the cult piece.  I guess the boys have decided that it is better to keep hr close even if they cannot trust her as she is their only link to whatever the hell they are dealing with.  A little evil is better if it can take you to the desired goal.  I do like how they are questioning her more though and not letting her get away with little unexplained sentences - I refuse to call them lies as I think she is withdrawing information more than lying.  The part about her father is important though as it shows that she has broken all alliances with him.  Will she lead them astray or to the people who can answer a thing or two?  Well I will have to let you take us there.
Thank you for the fast updates - I am loving it!
soophie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Another quick update...yaayyy
awesome update
this is getting more confusing n scary
i desperately want to believe khushi bt something or other makes me doubt her again n again
plzxxx jst update soon
cant handle so mch suspense
vgedin thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5
Saini ? 😳  You are name-loyal 😛 

Its true what he says about Khushi - she can get away without telling the truth without actually lying. Her statements are are layered with ambiguity and convoluted language. 

Does she have an ulterior motive? Or is she finally giving them a real lead? They now know where the starting point of all this is - but they need to put a face on it. (And a name) Lets see where this goes.

But I find it very difficult to trust Khushi, I am glad Arnav is playing her own game with her.. 

pearl.b thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Another update...wow...d day just got better...i'm loving this..d whole suspense dat u've created...finally the mystery is going to unfold bit by bit...cant wait to read d next part.
shijinareneesh thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Khushi...whats happening here...
harsha.. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4
I totally agree with Arnav - Khushi's statements are ambiguous. She may not be lying but she also doesn't come clean. 
Arnav has to be careful with her, she can be the game changer.

I loved the light banter in the group - Keith acts like the trigger for the much required dose of humour.

1chilly thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
I really don't trust this Khushi.
And I too agree with Arnav here.
She mixes up a little bit of truth with her lies and presents it in a way that it sounds like the truth.
I missed out on reading three chapters but am happy now as I read thm together and got a few answers to the innumerable questions in my mind. 
You write the best thrillers RB. 
Now I am impatient to read the next part.
Kalyaani thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Khushi is going along with them and I see it as a move on her part and not theirs. She wants to send out a message and that is not clear yet. Hell nothing about Khushi is clear, if any clarity does exist it is in the author's mind and I have no clue how to navigate through that labyrinth.

It is annoying if not anything, Khushi is not lying nor is she speaking the truth, she basically is bidding time to meet her own agenda. Why else would she throw information at these guys as crumbs?

The thing she says about her father goes to show there is more to that relationship than what these guys get to know. I am not talking in the father daughter sense but he did teach her the ways of the tribe, so there is a teacher student relation too, was that an unsatisfactory one?

shr1234 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I find it difficult to trust her, infact I doubt her
RockBarbie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 8

Chapter 22:

"How did you get this address Khushi?" Saini speaks to Khushi directly ignoring us three.

"How do you know this is Khushi?" Keith quips not so softly. Everyone eyes turn on him and his ear tips run pink. "Well Mr. Sahai did say you were underground or something." Keith isn't wrong. It's something that has crossed my mind. Except for us cops everyone else seems to know more about what we are searching for. It isn't pleasant working in an environment like this but this is how it has been. Corporates have more access to inside info compared to us and private security have better resources than police. It was ironic how in the end, we still held the legal responsibility and cleaned up after everyone.

Saini raises an eyebrow and steps aside to allow us enter his home. "I do have access to a computer and internet, you know?"

"Cyber stalking then." Keith doesn't let the older man to get the last word. Saini only smirks in response.

"You didn't answer my question Khushi." The man iterates.

Khushi's shrug is non-committal. "I asked a question and people answered uncle. That's all there is to it." Saini looks at her skeptically for a moment longer than what I imagined and finally sits down, easing a little. "I don't know if you remember who Ranvir is-"    

"I know who he is. Your father raised Ranvir. I heard he left us." Saini's tone is accusatory.

"Yes. Yes, he did." Khushi nods and repeats the answer. It is strange to see her tensed given how composed she always looks and generally is. "He tried to kill me last week but I managed to kill him instead."

"Quite brutally at that," Keith quips, his lips curving upwards a little. I know that smile doesn't have jest in it. The potency of gore has shaken Keith more than all of us. Ironic how he watches torture po*n movies without as much a grimace but its real life counterpart evokes empathy.

Khushi looks sharply at him but he ignores her. "I couldn't...risk..." Khushi trails. I don't want this argument again. We have had a lot of these in past few days and it's just a waste of time.

"The thing is Mr. Saini, there have been strange ritualistic murders happening around the city for three decades - the latest two being in this month alone. I have been attacked and so has Khushi after we started working together. Someone clearly don't was to find out who they are and the few things we have tying the two murders are - a pimp, culture of your community, Ranvir and an emerging political party. Venkat told us to start looking at the roots and gave your address. So here we are." I summarize.

Saini looks at me for a full minute and finally nods in understanding. "What do you want to know?" He asks me.

"Who is the person who started this new cult? Three decades ago Khushi's father told someone all the secrets of your community. Tell us who that is." I am hoping to get all answers here and close the case permanently.

Saini smiles softly. "ACP Raizada, first you have to understand that a cult isn't a gang. It isn't mafia or militia. Unlike these, the cult isn't about a means to make quick money or get a taste of violence for the sake of it. It is more evolved than organized crime and operates as a society in itself. The crime is justified inside the cult and they exist by their own laws. The members of cult prefer living in an isolated locality unlike gang members or mafia. It isn't because they are scared but they want to maintain their beliefs and faith in private."

"Okay, that's basically what most cults are and what they do. So?" Shukla speaks up for the first time. Usually he has patience to deal with bullshit of the f**ked up minds but this case has reduced him to my levels of patience.

Saini fishes for something on coffee table and sighs in relief when he picks a cigarette box underneath newspaper. He offers in our general direction first. My hands itch to hold one but I bite my cheeks to withhold the urge. Saini shrugs and lights up one for own.

"Your approach to this has been wrong since the beginning." Saini is condescending on purpose, I can see. I don't care to answer and ignore the tone. The man continues as if my reaction didn't incite him. "Khushi knowledge about the culture is pretty much complete. But she lacks the practical application though she would have told you almost everything about our history." I let out a frustrated sigh. Was being purposefully obscure and obtuse a part of this community's DNA?

My temper is flailing. "It would have definitely helped if people of your community stopped f**king around with facts if they were forthright from the start - Khushi included. You have managed to waste our time, get us hurt and run about the city worried and generally hiding complete truth. So yes, we have been wrong since beginning and since you seem to know everything, enlighten us."

"Is there a threat in there ACP Raizada?" Saini sits straight. I chuckle without humor as I pull the cigarette carton and snatch one from the box. The feel of it between my fingers is relaxing.

I take a long drag. "Give us the f**king answer. If I find out somewhere down the line that you knew the answer all along and tried to string us along...I will personally ensure that the rest of your life is miserable." I hear Khushi exhale louder than usual and I find myself not caring a bit. This charade has gone too far.

Saini looks perturbed and looks at Khushi, cigarette burning away between his fingers. "If I knew, I would answer him right now." She says softly.

Shukla and Keith turn and look at her, open mouthed. I am not sure if she is latching on my very realistic threat to push for an answer without wasting any more time or if she is really scared.

I don't care which it is but I am glad for the additional help.

Saini slumps a little and shows his annoyance and irritation at my words by killing the smoke viciously on ashtray. I still don't care. "I never got around finding out his name because I wasn't part of...all that. But I do know for sure that his father worked closely with some minister back in 80s. He was obsessed with money and power which both his father lacked but employer had in abundance. After this man's father was fired from the job, the family was ruined or something because of what followed after. He was hell bent on avenging his family."

"How did he meet my father?" Khushi asks.

Saini shakes his head. "Like I said, I wasn't part of the group that questioned your father Khushi. But if I were to fathom a guess, I would say gambling joints - horse racing to be specific. I think he also worked there and that's how your father and the man became fast friends." Saini replies.

I see Keith shooting off a quick email to Deshmukh. We have a new direction and enough information to re-start the whole thing. I only hope I am not too late.

"Of all the things he could have done, why did he start a cult?" Shukla ponders openly.

I can only smile mirthlessly at that. "Some people like to pretend to be better than others. Many presume that by emulating those people, they become better by association. And each cult is unique with its composition and finds a punch line to define their way of life."

"It isn't like that...not always," Khushi answers immediately.

I turn and give her a smile. "You really don't have a solid case to prove otherwise."

Khushi widens her eyes as if she is slapped and arranges her lips to a thin line. I am f**king tired of the nonsense and pretentiousness. I need goddamn answers so that I can close this case and give closure to many families out there.

They deserve to know what happened to their loved one.