Arshi FF - Dusty Haven - [TH#2 Link on Index Pg 1] - Page 86

Posted: 10 years ago
wow, glad to hear from you and just happened to see this new FF Dusty Haven you are working on.
I will start reading this over the weekend. I became a fan of your work after reading wrong name and walk the line.
glad to see u are back..

no worries... i will wait...
Ek update ki kimat tum kya jaano Madhu baby???
How are things in Dusty Haven?

Chapter 17 - El Coyote

Khushi ran into the house, her hair flying in little wisps around her head. 'Papa!' she called, as she ran through the living room. 

Garima came out of the kitchen, wiping her hands on her apron, followed by Abeja. 'What is it, child?' she exclaimed, seeing her daughter skidding to a stop in front of her. 

'Mama, where is Papa?' she cried holding her mother's hands. 

'He's out by the stable,' said Garima, as Payal too rushed into the room. 'What's going on?'

Khushi ran out the door again, calling for her Papa as she raced to the stables. 'Papa!' 

Her father came running out at her frantic call. 'Khushi?! What happened?' He was followed by an equally perturbed Happy.

'Papa!' she finally halted her mad run, panting for breath, holding on to her sides, as she gasped for breath. She'd ridden Red hard all the way home, her sudden revelation whirling in her head. She didn't know what to make of it and who to turn to. Arnav hadn't yet arrived by the time she'd left. In any case, what  would she have told him. I saw your sister's husband get murdered?

Her father held on to her shoulders, trying to calm her down while the others crowded around her.

'Papa, the man I saw murdered,' her voice was breathy as she still struggled to breathe.. 

Shashi felt the whole world come to a stop around him. 'What? What about him?' He barely got the words out, his heart beginning to beat a faster. 

'Yes, papa, the man I saw murdered,' she repeated softly. She suddenly realized that she shouldn't make her father agitated, but the shock of her new knowledge had not yet worn off. 'He was Miss Anjali's husband,' she whispered, her eyes rounded in horror as the events of that night played through her mind, as they had been all through the journey home.  

Shashi grabbed her in a hug. 'Come inside,' he said gruffly, practically dragging her in. Once inside, he shut and bolted the door. 'Tell me what you saw,' he commanded. 

'I saw a picture, Papa. It was Miss Anjali's husband.' She shook her head. 'I had never seen his picture and they...' She cleared her throat. 'They never talk about how he died. But when I saw that picture I knew. I saw it, Papa. I saw him die,' Khushi was crying now, soft, mewling sobs. She buried her face in her father's chest, while Garima soothed her hair. 

'Are you sure, Khushi?' Happy asked. 

'Yes. Yes, I am,' she nodded.

The same look of worry and fear was on all their faces. If Miss Anjali's husband was the one who was murdered, then they needed to let the Raizadas know what had happened. That the murderer was here with them, in the same town. Right here in Yerba. 

'We must tell the Raizadas,' Shashi said grimly. 'They deserve to know what happened to their son-in-law.'

Garima nodded. 

'Come, child. For tonight, rest, and we will go there early tomorrow and let them know,' Shashi said. Khushi agreed, nodding her head. It was too late to go to the Circle-R at this point. 

It was only when she lay awake in bed that night, that she remembered. Arnav was supposed to be back today. She hadn't waited for him. She sat up in bed hugging her knees, feeling a little sad that she hadn't been there when he came back. She wondered if he'd missed her. 

Tomorrow.

Tomorrow, she would face him.

Shyam walked into his study to see Rocky sitting insolently in his chair, rocking it with his feet up on Shyam's desk. 

'What the hell d'you think you're doing?' Shyam was annoyed to see his foreman sitting like that. 

'You have a letter, specially delivered for you,' Rocky looked at the brown envelope that sat atop the other papers on the desk. 'From El Coyote. I wouldn't be so happy if I were you,' Rocky sneered before pushing off the chair and walking out of the room. 

Shyam looked at the envelope for a moment before picking it up and opening it. 

'You have a month to get both the properties that we need. The delay has been too long. The plans are in the final stage and ready to be signed off. Washington has given the go-ahead. Dallas will follow. So make your move without delay. I will be in Yerba soon. I hope to sign the papers then.'

Shyam grimaced. A nervous tick started on his jaw, a snarl drawing back one side of his face. The letter didn't have a signature. He didn't need one. El Coyote had never needed to sign his letters.

Yes. The delay had indeed been long. It had been a long time in the planning. Months of planning.  They thought that they had time on their sides, but this letter seemed to indicate that time was running out and fast. 

Shyam sat down at the desk, his chin resting on his fingers, thinking. 

When El Coyote had come to him to take over the Box-Lightning. he'd thought it would be easy. Donny would sell to him. There was no reason not to. But Donny had stalled. So he'd had to kill him, hoping Rudi would sell. Rudi had been equally adamant. He wouldn't sell either. Killing him off would have meant the ranch would have been auctioned. He'd no doubt that he would have taken it then, fair and square. But even that hadn't happened. 

Even with Rudi's death, the ranch had slipped out of his fingers. He'd sold it to Shashi Gupta. 

Now with the Circle-R invested in the Box-Lightning, things were doubly difficult. He had to talk to Arnav, he thought. With the new alliance in the offing, perhaps Arnav would look at things differently. It would be in his best interests to do so. With so little time ...

Time. 

The one thing that Shyam Manohar Jha had run out of. If El Coyote was coming to Yerba, it meant that time was up. The sand had run through the glass. 

All he could do now was make sure that Anjali was not hurt. Of course, El Coyote didn't know of his alliance with the Raizadas. If he did ... maybe ... 

Then again, maybe there was another way out.

Shyam sat back, thinking, his mind working furiously, looking at the plan from all sides.

He had to meet Arnav today itself.

The sun was almost setting behind the hills to the West. It was a quiet time of day, and Arnav and Akash looked out contentedly over their land as they sipped their beers and talked quietly.

They were surprised to see Shyam ride up to the Circle-R. Dressed in jeans and a shirt, he was missing his regular sartorial elegance. 

'Arnav,' Shyam walked up the steps to stand in front of the brothers. He held out his hand and Arnav took it after a moment's hesitation. 

'Shyam,' said Arnav. 'I must congratulate you. Welcome to the family,' he said. 

'Thank you,' Shyam looked serious. 

'I'll go send Sis outside,' said Akash. 

'No,' said Shyam, holding out a hand. 'I came to speak to Arnav. In private,' he added. 

Akash raised his eyebrows, before excusing himself and walking away inside. Even though he was curious, he knew that if needed, Arnav would speak to him directly.

'Have a seat,' said Arnav civilly, although no smile broke through his visage. 'You have something you wish to say to me.'

'Well, yes,' said Shyam, trying to get the words out the way he wanted to. He helped himself to a glass of lemonade that JP brought out, and took a long sip looking out before he answered. Arnav waited patiently, his eyes narrowed. 

'Arnav, you know that I love Anjali and that's why I want to marry her. But I also wanted to put a proposition in front of you.'

Arnav said nothing, just raised his eyebrow and looked quizzically at his brother-in-law-to-be. 

'I want to expand the Striking-S,' Shyam began. 'I feel the time is right for us to grow some more. I need more grazing for my cattle. We've had a good year, as you know. And I'd like to buy some of the Circle-R property to the North. It borders on the Striking-S and the Box-Lightning. You already have so much land, I'm hoping you can afford to sell me that piece. I know you plan to expand further to the East and South. I'm willing to pay you above market price for that property.'

If Shyam hadn't been so caught up in his spiel he would have noticed the cold, frosty look that came over Arnav's narrowed eyes. Although he hadn't changed his posture or his expression, there was a stillness about him that should have warned him. 

'The Circle-R is big, Arnav, and with the Box-Lightning, you now have the biggest holding this side of the Pecos. All I'm asking for is that small piece of Circle-R.'

'Do you have a plan B, Shyam?' Arnav asked him not waiting for him to reply, 'because I'm not selling any land. At. All.'

Shyam jerked up, his blank eyes meeting Arnav's cold ones. 'I thought since we were to be related by marriage you'd at least think about my proposal.'

Arnav shook his head. 'There's nothing to think about. Unless you want that land as dowry?' He raised a skeptical eyebrow, as Shyam shook his head. 'This land was given me by my grandfather. I'm not giving it away to someone else.'

'What if you were to give it to Drew and Dev?' Shyam asked. 

Arnav cocked his head, an eyebrow raised. Was Shyam saying what he thought he was saying? That the land should be given to him to hold until such time as Drew and Dev could take care of it themselves? This wasn't a decision he could make on the spur of the moment. He needed to think about it. He shook his head again. 'You're a cocky son-of-a-gun. I'll give you that, Shyam. I'd need to think this. It's not a decision that I can make lightly.'

'Fair enough,' Shyam said, although his insides were eating him up. He stood up. 'I should be going,' he said. 

Arnav looked at him, his face still an unreadable mask. 'Good night, Shyam.' He didn't let it show that Shyam's desire to leave without meeting Anjali was odd to say the least. He watched him walk down the steps and turn at the bottom, and hesitate. 

'One more thing, Arnav. I really want that land. If something happened to you, Anjali would be very hurt. She doesn't need to know about this,' Shyam said.

Arnav nodded. This was getting more and more curious. He stood there sipping his drink, watching Shyam ride away, as Akash came out and stood next to him. 

'What did he want?' Akash said. 

'A slice of Circle-R,' said Arnav. 

Akash raised his brows in surprise. 'Wow!' was all he said. 'Really?'

Arnav smirked. He couldn't understand this sudden move of Shyam's. The two brothers were completely baffled by this turn of events. Did he think that marrying Anjali was giving him free rein to meddle in Circle-R affairs? And what was that veiled threat to him? He drew a deep breath. He needed to know what he was up to. A visit with Aman was definitely needed. 

In the dim light of the lamp, Aman sat going through the papers that he had just received today. News that would affect his part of the world. As he sat reading through them, the door opened quietly. Ela entered and he looked up with a smile. 

'You were missing tonight, Sheriff,' she said, a small answering smile tilting the corner of her lips.

'I was working,' he smirked.

'I see,' she made a little moue. 'This?' she indicated the papers on his desk. 

He nodded. 'Did you miss me?' he leaned back in his chair and said.

'Mmm...Hmmm... ' she murmured as she walked over to him. He reached out a hand and cupped her cheek. She leaned into it, nuzzling his palm.

'I missed you, too,' he said, his hands going to her waist and pulling her down onto his lap, till she was astride him. 

Her eyes widened as she felt his hard arousal under her. 'Now?' she asked.

'Always,' he whispered as he took her lips in a long, sweet kiss. The papers lay forgotten on his desk. 

He woke up in the middle of the night. Ela lay curled around him, her long leg between his, her hand on his shoulder. Carefully, so as not to wake her, he slipped out of bed, slipped on a robe and padded to the study. Lighting the lamp, he pulled the papers towards him. Something had caught his eye earlier, just before Ela distracted him. 

Ela woke up to find herself alone in bed. She sat up and tugged on Aman's shirt and walked over to the study. She studied him as he sat at his desk, his dark head bent over his the papers. It was so strange, she thought.

She'd met Aman when she first moved into Yerba at ASR's behest. They'd met in San Antonio, and for a while she'd wondered if there was a chance of something happening between ASR and herself. But she'd soon realized that she preferred to have him as a friend. Attractive as he was, ASR as a prospective lover lost his appeal when she set her eyes on Aman. Something about the quiet, brooding Sheriff of Yerba had attracted her to him. It was only after Khushi had arrived on the scene that he'd actually made a move on her. She wondered why he'd never approached her before.

'Why?' she asked huskily.

He looked up, startled, at her, his eyes dark in the shadows thrown by the lamp. There was no mistaking the hunger in his eyes as he looked at her, standing framed against the door, clad in nothing more than his shirt, her long legs crossed at the ankles, her arms folded across her chest. He raised an eyebrow, noticing the faint dimples in her cheeks.

'Why what?' he asked her.

She strolled into the room, the sway of her hips invariably arousing him, especially now with her hair sleep-tousled.

'Why did you never make a move on me when I first came to Yerba?' she asked, resting her hip against the table.

'Because I thought you were ASR's, and a gentleman never poaches on another's lady,' he said softly.

She threw her head back and laughed, her throat displayed enticingly for him. 'I was never ASR's,' she gurgled in amusement.

He frowned. 'Wait. So why did he always act so possessive around you?'

'Because he felt he owed it to me to look after me. He brought me here, so I was his responsibility. Plus, there was the Wild Bull ' which we're both partners in,' she explained.

He put his hands on her hips, pulling her sideways till her butt rested on the table. Slowly his hands slid to her knees and slid them apart, before they wandered back up again, unbuttoning the few buttons that she had had done.

Her breathing deepened as his fingers when curiously to one dusky nipple and he circled it.

'Now?' she asked. 'Here?'

He nodded, 'you have a problem with the desk,' he lowered his mouth onto her thigh.

'Not in the least,' she breathed. 'I thought you had things to read.'

'In the morning,' he mumbled, busy tasting the delicious taste of her inner thighs. 'Don't distract me,' he instructed.

Her fingers curled into his thick black hair, as he found the one spot designed to make her gasp. Her feet lifted and she rested them on the arms of his chair as he moved closer, his hands curling around her hips as he buried his face in her fragrant body.

There's something to be said for thwarted desire, Arnav thought. He lay in bed, wide awake. He'd been waiting to meet Khushi. All the way back home, he'd anticipated what it would be like, when he saw her again. They had to talk, he'd thought.

He'd not expected her not to be there. More importantly, she'd left just before he came in. Was she ashamed of what had happened between them? Or was she regretting it all?

He opened his clenched fist and looked at the object in his palm. A gold locket lay in it, edged with delicate filigree work, wrought around a beautifully enameled center - butterfly. The colors reflected those of her eyes, green and gold, and the pink of her lips. The artist had colored in the edges of the butterfly with hair thin lines of black. The locket hung off a slim gold chain.

He'd wanted to see her eyes when she saw it. He'd wondered if she would understand that, the minute he'd seen the butterfly, he'd been reminded of her. But now, that was all moot. He turned in his bed, punching the pillows, trying to find a comfortable spot.

Okay, Miss Gupta. If that's what you want, that's what you'll get.

He closed his eyes determinedly and tried to fall asleep.

Edited by GirlOfFire - 10 years ago
Res
Unres

I am the first and I am scared to say anything as I have never been the first to comment on a very popular story.

Shyam is playing a dangerous game with high stakes and I hope Arnav finds out soon about him and save his sister from making biggest mistake of her life and letting her boys be in the company of such person, just because he might marry his sister did't give him the right to threaten Arnav.
Khushi now know that on that fateful night it was Anjali's husband who was murdered and I am so glad that Gupta family are going to Raizada's to let them know about it.
Poor Arnav thinks that Khushi is trying to ignore him and is a bit upset by it, little does he know that he is being equally missed by his girl.
Aman and Ela share very passionate relation with lot of love, you have captured there emotion really well and the actual scene is beautifully written, I loved it.
I could feel khusi's fear and her parents apprehension and that is beacuse you are such talented writer and this story is out of this world, with every update I just feel more and more awestruck.
Please continue soon.
Thanks for coming back and updating.
Edited by gifttag - 10 years ago
ME 

~Edit~ 

Tum aa gaye ho, noor aa gaya hai😳

I am so so happy you are back. The sqeaky-jumpy-excited wala happy! 😃 Welcome back! 

So this El Coyote business seems to be a little scary.. I agree with Saiyyu, sounds like a Mogambo or Gabbar... whats Spanish for "Gaaon walon!" ? 😆 And Shyam.. the marriage isn't even final yet and he has the nerve to threaten Arnav, that too using the kids as a pawn! I hope Arnav and Aman beat him to pulp. Bas!

Oh God, not more running around for the poor Guptas, please... they cannot live like this.. nomadic and in fear. I hope they speak to the Raizadas soon! And especially Arnav. Coming to which.. that is one beautiful pendant. I want sweet sweet reunion and a sizzling kiss, no MU! 😲 

Next (double) update soon ? :D Haan main besharam hoon ! 😛
Edited by vgedin - 10 years ago
D is here  !❤️

Edited :

Great to see you re start this story M !

Coming to the update i am so glad Khushi spoke about her findings wish Shashi now lets see what the morning brings when the Guptas decide to speak to Arnav..

I cant believe Shyam's audacity to blatantly ask for a piece of land and also to the extent of bringing Anjali's kids in the picture.
Arnav has always been vary of Shyam i hope this makes him more alert.It  does ring all the wrong bells for sure!

Shyam seems to be stuck in a bigger mess with this whole El Coyote business. Desperate moves call for desperate measures !

Arnav got a gift for his lady love but i hope there no unnecessary MU !

Aman and Ela ...what to say lage raho !😆

Ps : The font size of this update was a little to small for comfortable reading !
Edited : You updated the font size ..thank u !😃
Edited by _disha_ - 10 years ago
V is here! And Thank you Dee!

Thank you for coming back...seriously am so excited...

I love how Khushi reveals everything about the person she sees being murdered  to Shyam...it's almost as destiny has brought them here to Yerba for a purpose...

Khushi and the Gupta's need to stop running , they have uprooted themselves and have given into fear and now it's time to confront it all... and speak to Arnav...tell him about Shyam...save Anjali and the kids...I really do want her to speak to him before her family does...it would be significant ..the implications ...especially now when he is already doubting Shyam's highhandedness and attitude...
I so want Shyam to be found out...

This sounds so Mafia ish...the El Coyote business... no wonder Shyam is getting bolder and desperate...blatantly asking for the land and having the audacity to bring in the kids...

Loved Aman and Lavanya, their relationship is just so passionate and full of oomph...their mutual desire...and both to me signify very loyal people too...their connection deeper than just their physical need...I like their intensity...something pulls me towards them...

So Arnav has got a locket for Khushi, one that reminds him of her...how very romantic and thoughtful...and he misreads her actions of running away just before he comes to do with her being ashamed of what happened between them ...he cannot be further from the truth...she has been missable without him...and has thought of him and missed his absence...so hope the misunderstanding does not remain and the morning brings them back together...with each other... And not just assume things...infact I hope he goes to her...
Edited by vandana.sagar - 10 years ago
Finally!

Firstly thank you thank you thank you for updating Dusty Haven. You know how much I love this story.

I am now looking forward to your super frequent updates... just like the good old days Yes, I am greedy 😳

Now to the update.

The Guptas have run long for too long. Now that all the key players are present, it is high time the Guptas get a closure and Khushi gets deliverance from constant fear. I still want Khushi to talk to Arnav first before she talks with anyone in his family

This El Coyote sounds like the Mogambo and Shakaal of this gang 😆. Anyways, seems his name means business with a violent edge. Why else would Shyam make a bee line for Arnav's estate, then bring in Anjali into the conversation and then give a veiled threat to Arnav? Man suddenly got desperate.

However, Aman already has a whiff. Lets see how all this adds up. My guess was correct about Arnav's and Ella's 'relationship' 🥳

Arnav that is a beautiful gold pendant you have got there. I hope you won't act like a jerk just because of your assumptions and give Khushi that pendant. Otherwise i will hit you on the head and steal the pendant! 😡 Edited by Rasgulla_sp - 10 years ago