Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

GirlOfFire thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 10 years ago

Chapter 13 - Coming Home

Akash was seeing off his last patient of the morning. It hadn't been a busy day so far, but that had nothing to do with his happy frame of mind. Miss Payal would be coming to town tomorrow, she'd told him that the last time he'd seen her. She came once a week to pick up material from the store. He smiled shyly to himself, as he remembered her sweet face and her large doe-like eyes. To him, she personified the woman he wanted in his life. He wanted to get to know her, and wondered if he should go calling on them. Would she mind? He didn't like to think so. 

Lost in his thoughts, he was walking back towards the house, when he heard the sound of racing hoofbeats. 

'Doctor!' a woman's voice called him, urgency in her tone. 

He spun around to see Payal riding up fast. 'Miss Payal!' he exclaimed. 'What brings you here?' he held the horse's reins as the animal tossed its mane, blowing hard from the run she'd put it through. 

'It's Papa!' she gasped. 'I don't know what's wrong with him, but he just... Please, come soon.' She begged him, her large eyes shining with tears, her face pale and devoid of color under the afternoon sun.

'Let me get my bag,' he said, without asking her any more questions. He ran inside, grabbed his bag. 

'I'm going to the Box-Lightning,' he informed the housekeeper, before dashing outside and leading his horse out. They headed out to the Box-Lightning and he asked above the noise of the hooves, 'what happened to your father?'

'He fainted and he wouldn't come back to consciousness,' she cried, wiping her cheeks of the tears that streaked them. 

His heart contracted at that. Her worry for her father was evident in the way she kept biting her lips, in the white knuckles gripping the reins. 'He'll be fine, Miss Payal,' he soothed. 'Please don't cry. I'm here, aren't I?'

She looked at him as if he was the only hope she had in the world. They were silent for the rest of the ride. When they got to the ranch, Happy was waiting for them on the verandah, worried and pale. 

'Where is he?' Akash asked, running up the stairs. Happy showed him to Shashi's room. He had regained consciousness but was lying down looking pale and weak. Garima and Abeja stood in one corner, tears on their faces as he walked in. He asked them to leave, before examining Shashi. 

The others waited outside, hearing the soft murmur of voices. It was some time before Akash opened the door and came out. He smiled at them. 'He will be fine,' he said, his eyes lingering on Payal's face for a second longer than necessary. 'It's not anything serious, as far as I can tell. However, it would be good if he could stay in bed for a few days. He hasn't been sleeping well, has he? I'll give you something for him to relax and rest.'

'Thank you, Doc,' Garima said, before going into Shashi's room followed by Abeja and Happy. They were all relieved to hear that he was going to be well soon. 

'May I have a word with you, Miss Payal?' he asked softly. He noticed how she hadn't followed her mother inside, her face still worried and drawn. She turned at his question, wondering what he would ask of her. 

They walked down to the living room and he asked, 'what happened, Miss Payal? Why did your father suddenly collapse? What's causing him anxiety?'

'It's Khushi,' Payal replied. 

Akash was puzzled. 'Khushi?' he asked. He knew that Payal's sister was tutoring the children. So what did she have to do with Shashi's condition?

'Khushi stays three or four days at Circle-R. So we didn't know if she'd left on Wednesday or Thursday. But when she didn't come back we started getting worried. Papa had been so worried about her...,' she stopped. There was no need to go into all that background with Akash. She'd tell him someday. Not now, she decided. 'Anyway, when she didn't show up this morning also, Papa was very agitated. And then, he fainted,' she began to cry softly. 'I didn't know what to do, so I ran to get you.'

He put his hand on her shoulder, as if he had the right to try to soothe her. 'You did right, Miss Payal. You say Khushi didn't come back? Did you send anyone to Circle-R to find out?'

She shook her head. 'Once Papa fainted, we ...' she choked.

He thought for a minute and said, 'I'll go to Circle-R now then, and find out where Miss Khushi is,' he said firmly. His voice softened as he watched her nod despondently. 'Please don't cry, Payal,' he put his other hand under her chin, tilting her face up, forgetting to address her as 'Miss Payal'. 'I'm here. I'll take care of it, alright?' She nodded, trusting him implicitly. 'I'll stop by and let you know what I found out,' he assured her. He looked at her pale face again and something made him stoop and kiss her forehead. 'Just don't cry,' he whispered against her skin.

Turning around, he walked out through the door, and climbed back on his horse. His face was thoughtful and worried as he made his way to the Circle-R. Where was Khushi? And why had her Papa been so worried about her? She'd held something back, he knew. The time to find out what is was, would come later. For now, the immediate urgency was to find Khushi. 

Anjali was surprised to see her brother arriving at such an odd hour. 'Akash!' she exclaimed, smiling happily. 'What brings you out this early?' she asked. 

He slid to the ground and asked as he walked up the stairs. 'Sis, where's Miss Khushi?'

'Miss Khushi?' she shook her head. 'She should be at Box-Lightning, shouldn't she?' She saw the grim look on his face and felt a faint alarm inside her. 'Isn't she?' she asked, worry lacing her voice.

He stood in front of her, shook his head and said, 'no. She isn't. When did she leave?'

Anjali gasped, her palm covering her mouth. 'She left two days ago, Akash. Oh my God! Has something happened to her?'

'Where's Arnav?' he asked instead. 

'Arnav is out on the range somewhere, and so is NK. Akash, what happened?' she held his arms, urging him to answer her questions. 

Nanny Raizada had heard the voices and came to the verandah to see Anjali looking horrified and worried, Akash with a grim look on his face. 

'What's the matter?' she asked. 'What happened, Akash?'

'Miss Khushi is missing, Nanny,' he stated simply. 

Nanny gasped. 'Missing?! How do you mean?'

'She didn't reach home after she left here two days ago. Her father collapsed with anxiety. I'm just coming from there,' he paced up and down as he spoke. 'What'm I going to tell them?' he asked Nanny, desperately. He'd told Payal that he'd find answers. He was no close to finding them, than he'd been earlier. 'Where do we start looking for her?'

'I think we should tell the Sheriff,' Nanny said firmly. 

Akash nodded. 'When is Arnav coming back?'

'Today, I think,' Anjali said. 'Poor Miss Khushi. I wonder where she is,' tears brimmed into her eyes. The thought of a young girl missing out here in the vast country was frightening. Anything could have happened to her. She sent a quick prayer to the Virgin Mother to take care of her friend, for that is how she saw Khushi now. 

'Can you send one of the hands to Yerba? Ask the Sheriff to meet me at Box-Lightning. I'll go over there myself, now,' he said, striding towards his horse. 

'Alright, Akash. You need to be there, now,' Nanny's face was puckered up with anxiety as well. 

'Oh Dear God!' she murmured as Akash rode off. 'I do hope the poor thing is well.'

'I know, Nanny,' Anjali wiped her cheeks. 'I'll send one of the boys over to Yerba,' she said moving away. 

Nanny just nodded, her eyes scanning over the vast open land. Where was Khushi Gupta? She closed her eyes, willing her spirit guide to appear and give her some answers. But the spirits eluded her today. 

Garima was sitting with Shashi, helping him drink a glass of warm milk, when she heard the sound of a horse. She hurried to the window. Akash was back. She saw Payal come out and greet him, and went back to her husband. 'Akash is back,' she said, smiling wanly. 'I'll go and see if he's found out anything.'

She went into the living room, and stood stock still. Payal was crying on Akash's chest and his head was bent low over her, his arms around her, the tenderest look of love on his face, as he comforted her, whispering softly. 

Her mouth fell open in shock! Quickly recovering herself, she knocked on the door. They moved apart, similar tides of red washing over their faces. Right now, though, she didn't want to deal with this. She had other, more pressing questions. 

'Did you find anything about Khushi?' she asked, coming into the room.

Akash drew a deep breath. He went forward and took her hands, helping her sit on a couch. Garima's anxiety grew. This wasn't how she'd expected him to answer her question. 

'I've send for Aman,' he said, instead. He crouched before her, holding her hands tight as Payal put an arm around her, sitting next to her mother. 'We're going to find her, Ma'am,' he said softly. 

Garima sat still, stunned. While he hadn't said much, he'd said enough. 'How?' she choked. 'My baby,' she burst into sobs, while Payal gathered her close, mother and daughter comforting each other. 

'Madre de Dios!' (Mother of God!) Abeja's loud voice pulled them out of the chasm of grief that they were sinking into. 'Why are you crying, Garima? Akash, mi hijo, (my son) did you find out anything?' she sat beside Garima, tears in her eyes, already knowing the answer. 'Garima, don't worry. Our mariposa knows how to look after herself. She'll be fine, you'll see,' she tried to cheer her up. 

'Tia Abeja, she's been missing for two days now,' Payal burst into fresh tears. 

'Two days?' Abeja clapped her hand on her head. She turned frightened eyes to Akash. 'Where will we look for her?'

'The sheriff will be here, soon,' Akash said. 'He'll bring a posse if need be. We'll find her. She can't have gone that far,' he tried to reason. 

But the three women knew something he didn't. In each of their hearts was the same fear. What if the killer had really recognized her, and had now ambushed her? A shudder went through Payal at the thought of her sister lying cold in the brush. She shoved the image away, and got up, walking to the door and back, pacing around the living room. The minutes ticked by slowly as they waited for Aman to show up. Happy joined them in the living room. Shashi was sleeping, thankfully, having been given laudanum by Akash, who'd check in on him earlier. 

Finally, Aman, Jim and a couple of other men, arrived at the Box-Lightning. Akash quickly told them what little he knew. Khushi had been seen leaving the Circle-R two days ago, making her way to the trail to the Box-Lightning. After that, she had vanished. 

The men quickly decided that the best place to start would be the trail itself. It'd been two days, but perhaps there were tracks that would give them some clue of her whereabouts. 

There were five of them now, Happy having joined them. Akash would wait at the Box-Lightning. His first concern was his patient. The men saddled up and rode out. Payal and Akash stood on the verandah watching them go, when they saw the strangest sight. 

A large grey horse came walking towards the yard, a red horse following it. Arnav and Khushi sat on the grey horse, Khushi with one arm in a sling. She wore an Indian buckskin sheath over her jeans, while Arnav was also dressed in a pair of buckskin fringed pants and a loose white shirt. They drew up in front of the group and Arnav raised an eyebrow.

They all stood and stared. 

Payal was the first to recover. 'Khushi!' she cried, running across the yard, heedless of the mud on the ground. Akash followed right behind her. She reached the horse and panting, held on to it, 'Khushi! What happened to you? Where have you been?' she cried

'Later, Miss Payal,' Arnav said, smoothly sliding off the horse and then gently lifting Khushi down. He set her down on her feet and said, 'You okay?' She nodded.

Payal threw her arms around her hugging her, while the men all began questioning Arnav. 

'Where did you find her, Arnav?' asked Akash.

'Did you abduct her?' incredulously from Aman. 

'Do you know she'd been missing for two days?' from Happy. 

They gathered around in the yard itself, all talking at the same time, relief and smiles on all their faces. The noise brought Garima and Abeja to the door, and they ran out to see their little one safe and sound, tears of joy and relief coursing down their faces as they hugged her.

Finally, Arnav held up his hand. 'Khushi needs to rest,' he said, looking at her. 'Let's go inside, we can talk then. Akash, can you take a look at her shoulder?' he asked his brother. 

Akash nodded, following the women inside. 

The men sat in the verandah, sprawling on the steps or the couch, as Arnav recounted everything that had happened - well, almost everything, of course. There were some things that gentlemen never spoke of! And Arnav was if nothing else, a gentleman, he liked to think. 

'Striking-S, eh?' Aman said, sipping the beer that Happy had brought out. 'Those varmint ain't never up to no good.' He shook his head. 'Lucky you were there,' he told Arnav. 

Arnav nodded thoughtfully. Akash came out and he looked at him questioningly. 

'Her shoulder is fine, the bruises will fade. The head wound is also healing well. She should be right as rain in a couple of weeks,' he reported to his brother. 

'I'll talk to Shyam about them,' Aman said, still with his earlier train of thought. This was his town, and if nothing else, then people should feel safe here. Not worry about a few rotten eggs showing their faces every now and then. 

Garima came outside and caught Happy's eye. He nodded and turned to the men and said, 'would y'all all please join us for supper?'

A chorus of 'thank you, but we have to head home,' greeted him. 

Akash stood up and came to Garima. 'I'll come tomorrow and check on both Khushi and Mr. Gupta, ma'am,' he said politely. 

She smiled at him, relief at the safety of her daughter making her feel lighter. 'Of course, Akash. You know you're welcome here any time,' she twinkled at him, watching him blush at her mild teasing. 

He cleared his throat and said, 'well. Ah. I should be going,' trying to see behind Garima if Payal was around. 

'Payal is with her sister,' Garima said, following his gaze. 

'Er. Well, good night,' he doffed his hat and followed the men out. 

'Akash?' Arnav called him, still sitting on the steps. 'You're going to Circle-R?' 

Akash nodded.

'Can you wait a bit?' Arnav asked. 

'Sure,' said Akash. 

'Mrs. Gupta, may I see Miss Khushi?' Arnav asked, standing up to face her. 

'Yes, of course. Come in,' she led the way inside for the two brothers. 'I can't thank you enough for saving my daughter,' she held his large hands in hers. 

He shook his head. 'Was the least I could do,' he shrugged. 

'Come with me,' she led him out, and showed him to a door. She knocked on it, and Payal opened it. 'Come in,' she said, leading him into the room. 

He looked aroundv as he walked over to the bed, his hat in hand. It was a pretty room, in pale yellow and pink. Books stood on shelves and flowers in vases. A colorful throw was tossed over a comfortable chair, near the open window. A Navajo blanket was on the wooden floor in place of a rug. It was a cosy room. His eyes went to the bed, as she watched him walking over. She was sitting up leaning against the pillows. Her braid hung over one shoulder, over the modest cotton sleeping gown she had on. Her knees were bent, covered with a thick colorful blanket. 

'How d'you feel?' he asked her softly. 

'Better,' she smiled at him. 

'I'll be leaving now. You take care of yourself,' he said. While I am not there, his eyes told her. 

She grinned up at him and said, 'I will.'

'No riding off alone anywhere. Akash will come to see you tomorrow morning.' She nodded. 

'I'll be gone for a month,' he told her, softly. She looked at him wide-eyed, with a hint of anxiety in them. 

'Take care,' her voice wobbled.

'Good night,' he replied. He almost reached a hand out, but drew it back just in time. He was at the door when she called him. 

'Arnav,' he looked back. 'Thank you.'

He nodded and winked at her, before leaving the room. 

Arnav told Akash all that had happened since Khushi had gone missing, as Akash hadn't heard the narrative earlier. 

'It's good you went to the village. The diyi fixed her shoulder well. She just needs to keep it rested for a while,' Akash said. 

Arnav chuckled at that. 'That's going to be hard for her,' he said. 'She can't sit still in one place.' A thought struck him. 'What were you doing at Box-Lightning?'

So Akash told him all that had transpired since Payal had arrived at his door step so precipitately that morning. 

'Nanny and Sis will be worried,' said Akash, suddenly remembering them. They urged their horses a little faster to reach home. 

Nanny and Anjali were sitting on the porch. They stood up as the brothers came into view, their anxious faces telling their own story. 

'Arnav!' Anjali exclaimed hugging him. 'Did you find Khushi?'

He nodded his head, hugging his grandmother, after he hugged his sister. 'She was with me, Nanny,' he said. 'Let's go inside, and I'll tell you all.'

He knocked on the door and waited. It opened after a full minute. 

'You're late,' she said, dimples no where in sight, her red lips pouted. 

'Sorry,' he stepped in, taking off his hat. 'I was out at the Box-Lightning.'

'Box-Lightning?' she asked as she pulled his boots off. 

'Miss Khushi'd gone missing' he explained. 

'What?!' she exclaimed, sitting on his lap, unbuttoning his shirt. 

He nodded as he undid the braid she'd pinned up in a band on her head. 'Yep. Miss Khushi was missing for two days. Akash sent for us. We were about to go out in a posse, when ASR showed up with Miss Khushi, riding the same hoss. Turns out, she'd been with him all along,' he smirked. 

She slapped his now bare biceps. 'With ASR?'

He nodded, as he worked the ties on the back of her corset, undoing each one, and lightly rubbing his fingers on the bare skin as he exposed it. 'Turns out she got thrown by her hoss, and her shoulder went out. He took her to Shining Cloud's village. So they couldn't let anyone know in time. They came back this evening.'

He drew down the shoulders of her dress, and pressed his lips to the pulse at her throat, feeling her nails digging into his arms. He licked the spot, once, twice and she moaned. 

'Enough of Arnav and Khushi,' he grumbled, falling back on the bed, taking her with him. 

'What d'you wanna do?' she asked, saucily.

'Oh, lots of things. Why don't I show you?' said Aman stroking a rough palm on the smooth skin of Ela's back.

Edited by GirlOfFire - 10 years ago
vandana.sagar thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Waiting...Edited by vandana.sagar - 10 years ago
1chilly thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Loved the banner, Madhu.
Arnav is going away for a month.
A lot can happen in that time.
Shyam can get engaged to Anjali.
Will wait for you to tell us what will happen.
Garima seems to approve of Aakash getting lose to Payal
Arnav goes to tell Khushi that he will not be around for a month.
So both the brothers seem to have developed soft corners for the sisters.

PS.- Thanks for the note explaining what certain words meant.
Edited by 1chilly - 10 years ago
IronButterfly thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Finally she's back and now they will be seperated for a month.
goguma thumbnail
poor sashi is soo worried abt kushi, that it is affecting his health...

the truth abt kushi's past need to be told, at least to arnav, since kushi is under his care..
cant imagine what will happen if words get arnd that arnav will be gone for a month! 😲
kushi still needs to travel from her place to the raizadas..?

anw,   their goodbyes is sweet..!  😳
nah..  i dont think he'll stay away too long from her...  lol

nice to see the shy akash taking control of situation,
and both him and payal seeking comfort from each other...
i say they are making good progress!   😉
Edited by goguma - 10 years ago
katunkka thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I find Aman and ela sexy. Arnav and khushi are so cute. Aww he winked at her! Makes me remember arnav's wink in the show.
soppy thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Arnav gone for a month!
You can understand how after the kidnaping track in ipk i just hate this line!
So are arnav and khushi together now?
So curious to know where they stand!
Tulipdulip thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
Loved it!!... Where is Arnav going???
Raila1014 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
For a minutes thought Shyam did something to Sashi as he wants the ranch.  I can see why they are all worried.  Funny how things were when there was no cell phone to call home.  Payash was so cute and I am glad Garima saw them.  Why are you sending Arnav away for a month when things are heating up between them?  I am sure Kushi will find a way to not sit still and wait.  Great update as usual!
khushiiXOXO thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
ah!Gentle Akash and shy Payal's love story is blooming!

Arnav's going away for a month?!where?...