I have read it..will comment later😃
lakraj80 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
Nice one, thanks for the pm.
sonia_92 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6
Yayyy akash is a doc. Arnav is such a fantastic character, adorable with the kids, sexy with the lady.

cheers
sonia
clarissajohn thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
superb update madhu

what a story

i hope they will meet in next update
kushigowda thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
nanny thinking of payal n khushi😆
sunitikapoor thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

I loved that Anjali's kids love Arnav so much….

Very nice update…

Loved it..

Thanks for the PM😛
PixieFlame thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
WOW! 
Just read the whole thing, seems interesting! :) 
Can't wait to read more! 
GirlOfFire thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 6

Chapter 3 - Welcome to Yerba

'Arnav, have you eaten breakfast yet?' Anjali followed him out of the house. 

'I did, sis,' he said patiently. 

He stepped into the yard and whistled. The grey appaloosa appeared around the corner of the house, saddled and ready to go. He walked over and patted it, before putting a leg into the stirrup. 

'When will you be back?' she asked from the verandah. 

'As soon's I can,' he said, settling into the saddle, and picking up the reins with his left hand. 

'Tell Akash he needs to come home this weekend,' she called as he started moving away. 

'I will, sis,' he called over his shoulder, digging his heels into the side of the horse, and it broke into a trot.

He sighed as he finally stopped hearing his sister's voice. Yes, he loved her to death, but sometimes, she could be a bit ... clingy. He knew that with the passing of his brother-in-law, she'd been shattered for a long time. It was nice to see her finally getting back to her slightly annoying ways. And so, he tolerated it. 

The early hours of the morning on this solitary ride gave him time to think. The sun had just begun to climb the blue sky and the morning dew still sparkled on the grass and leaves, throwing tiny rainbows into his eyes. He narrowed them, scanning the landscape around him. It was a habit. One that ensured one's survival in this land. 

He was headed to Yerba today. First he would visit the Doc - Akash - his little brother. Then, he planned to make a small detour to the Box-Lightning. He needed to talk to Shashi Gupta. He also wanted to know how Happy was. 

The sun was already high when he stopped in front of the little house that was also Akash's dispensary. A few men and women sat outside on the bench, waiting their turn to see Doc. He nodded to them as he made his way in, raising his hat to the women. They followed him with their eyes. They all knew him, El Puma, as they called him, behind his back, of course. The cougar. It was in the way he walked and talked and held his head. There was something feline about him. He could strike faster than lightning, they all knew that. El Puma was feared but respected. They knew what he had done for the Circle-R at such a young age and they admired him for it. El Puma was a good man. He was also Doc's brother. 

Akash was busy with a patient, and Arnav indicated that he was heading into the living room to wait for him. Akash nodded. 

Ten minutes later, he walked into the room to see Arnav munching on an apple while he read the newspaper. 

'Howdy, bro!' Akash smiled, his smile always ready and cheery, emphasizing the crags in his cheeks. Tall, and lanky with skin a few shades lighter than his sibling, he still managed to carry the Raizada aura, without the overpowering maleness of El Puma, that is. 

'Howdy, Akash,' ASR replied, smiling lightly. 

'What brings you here?' Akash raised an eyebrow very similar to his brother's.

'How's Happy?' he asked. 

'Actually, I was plannin' on going to the the Box-Lightning today and checking up on him,' Akash said. 'But it's not gonna be for 'nother hour or so.'

Arnav nodded. ''Kay. I'll ride out with you. I'll see you at the Wild Bull, then.'

Akash's eyebrow rose higher. 'Don't let the sheriff hear you say that,' he grinned. Arnav smirked, and walked out the door, his silver spurs jingling softly. 

The Wild Bull was one of the two salons in Yerba. It was the better of the two establishments. It was also the more popular of the two. Arnav pulled the horse up to the front of building, its wooden facade painted a cheery yellow. A lop-sided sign hung from the corner of the porch. He hobbled his horse and jogged up the steps, pushing open the batwing doors.  The interior was cool and dim, the sawdust on the floor muting his footsteps as he walked in removing his hat. A few men sat around at the different table. He stood just inside the door, giving his eyes time to adjust to the dimness inside, as he looked around, raising his hand to the men he knew. At the far right of the room was the bar, the bartender behind it. 

'ASR,' she said, happily, the dimples flashing deeply in her cheeks. 

'Ela,' he smiled, walking over to her. 

Lavanya or Ela as she was called, was the owner of the Wild Bull. At twenty-six, she was an exotic beauty, with long, curly, shiny, black hair cascading midway down her back, slanting black eyes, dusky skin and six-foot deep dimples beside her pretty bow-shaped mouth.

She leaned over the bar and kissed his cheek as he pulled up a stool and sat down, giving him a clear view of her bountiful cleavage. He tugged open the looped buttons on his sleeveless leather vest, and rested his elbows on the bar.

'Better not let the sheriff see you do that, Ela,' a big, jolly man said from one of the tables. ASR turned around and he raised his beer mug to him. 'ASR, howdy,' he said. 

'What'll you have, ASR?' Ela asked.

'Coffee,' he said succinctly. She poured him a mug of coffee, as Jim, the big man moved over to the bar to join Arnav. 

'I hear the new owner of Box-Lightning has shown up,' he said to Arnav. 

Arnav leaned against the bar and nodded, taking a sip of the thick, black coffee.

'Bit strange, that,' Jim said. 'How old Rudi up and disappeared, next thing you hear, he done sold Box-Lightning to the this guy.'

Arnav narrowed his eyes, his face blank. He was thinking the same thing. This was why he was going to the Box-Lightning. 

'Sorry, ASR,' Jim apologized. 'Forgot it might bring back some memories for you.'

''Sokay,' Arnav said, his voice quiet, low.  He was saved anything more as the door to the saloon swung open, and a tall man walked in. 

Dressed all in black, Yerba's sheriff was barely older than ASR. Like him, he too walked like a man who was more used to a horse under him than the earth. His dark hair was curly, brushed away from his face, his jaws were clean and his dark eyes clear. The square lines of his face barely showed any emotions, as his keen eyes looked around the room, coming to rest on ASR. His black shirt and black vest, with the shiny sheriff's star pinned to it, barely did anything to hide the well-built muscles of his torso and long arms. His powerful legs were encased in the uniform blue jeans and boots, and a single Colt hung from the holster on his right hip.

'ASR,' he said, walking across to him, holding out a hand for him to shake. 

'Aman,' said ASR putting his hand in his. 

Aman shook hands with Jim and turned to Ela. 'Ma'am,' he said. 

She nodded. 'What'll you have, sheriff?' her dimples nowhere in view. 

'Coffee, same as ASR,' he responded. She placed the mug in front of him and moved away, allowing the two men to talk in peace.

'I was coming to see you, Sheriff,' ASR said. 'Akash said I might find you here.'

Aman raised an eyebrow. He was a man of few words. ASR recounted the ambush with the Gupta family the other day.  

'What were they doing so far away from their land?' Aman frowned, as Arnav finished his tale. 

Arnav shook his head, just as puzzled. 'I don't know,' he muttered, taking a sip of the hot coffee that Ela had refilled. 

'I'll keep an ear out,' the sheriff said. They talked quietly for a while, until Akash came in, looking for ASR. 

He shook hands with the sheriff and then turned to ASR, 'shall we go?'

'Goin' somewhere, Doc?' Aman asked.

'Out to the Box-Lightning. Have a patient that I need to check on,' Akash replied. 

The men nodded at each other, and the two brothers left. Aman finished his coffee, placed the mug on the bar. He looked at Ela and asked, 'can I get a refill, ma'am?' She looked at him for a moment, her eyes flashing black fire and then nodded, moving away to fetch him more coffee.

The Box-Lightning was a small ranch and the Gupta Homestead was a modest one. The two brothers rode onto the property, their eyes expertly assessing what they saw. A line of clothes hung on a clothesline towards the back. Arnav's eyes searched for a red horse in the corral. It was missing. He shook his head as they dismounted and tied the reins to the railing on the verandah before striding up the stairs.

The door was opened by Abeja. 'Doc!' she exclaimed, happily. 'Come in, come in.'

The two men took off their hats and entered the house. 

'How's Happy, Tia Abeja?' Akash asked.

'Much better, thanks to you,' she smiled wide, her eyes almost disappearing in the folds of her chubby cheeks. Then she looked at ASR, a questioning look on her face. 'You are... ?'

'ASR ... Arnav Singh Raizada. Howdy, ma'am,' he said quietly, with a little bow. 'Akash is my brother.'

She was puzzled. What was he doing here? She knew the Doc had come to visit his patient, he'd done that every day. But the brother?

'I would speak to Mr. Gupta, ma'am,' he requested in that husky voice of his. 

'Sit,' she said unceremoniously. 'I'll see if he's available. Doc, you know where to go,' she stated. 

Akash nodded. 'I'll go ahead and heck on Happy,' and he vanished inside the house. 

Arnav stood there, waiting, hat in hand, taking in the modest furnishing in the large living room. He could smell food cooking in the kitchen, which he assumed was at the back. Abeja bustled back in, her ample skirts rustling as she walked. 

'Shashi's in the study. Come with me,' she said. 

He followed her down a small corridor, lined with pictures of the family he saw. He wanted to stop and check them out, but Abeja was knocking on a door. 

'Come in,' said a gruff voice. 

She indicated he should go in. He walked into a small room, with a desk dominating most of it. Shashi sat behind the desk, standing up to receive him. 

'Sir,' Arnav shook his hand. 

'Have a seat,' Shashi said, indicating the chair next to Arnav. 

'Thank you,' Arnav sat down. 

'What brings you here?' asked Shashi coming directly to the point. 

'Wanted to welcome you to Yerba,' uncharacteristically Arnav was beating around the bush.

Shashi raised his eyebrow, as if to say he understood Arnav. 'Thank you,' he said.

'My Nanny, grandmother, would like to invite y'all all over for lunch this Sunday after church,' Arnav got that out of the way. 

'Thank her kindly, and we'd definitely like that,' Shashi smiled graciously. 'But what brings you here really?' he asked. 

'I have a proposition for you,' Arnav began, only to have the door open and Akash come in. 

'Doc. Hows Happy?' Shashi asked shaking his hand. 

'As good as new. I think he can go out now,' smiled Akash. 

'Good,' said Shashi, gesturing for Akash to sit down. 

Akash had barely sat down when there was another knock. He got up and opened the door to a pretty girl carrying a tray on which sat three mugs of coffee.

Just a little over five feet tall, she was slim with a heart shaped face and large doe-like eyes, hazel, like her sister's. Her beautiful lips curved in a smile as she glanced at Akash. Then turned towards her father. 

'Papa, Ma sent coffee for you,' she said, placing the tray on the desk. 

Arnav had stood up too. Shashi glanced at him and said, 'ASR, my older daughter, Payal,' he introduced. 

'Howdy, ma'am,' he nodded his head. 

'Sir,' she dropped a little bow in return, smiling with her eyes and lips. With a brief smile in Akash's direction, she left the room, and he shut the door after her. 

'You were saying something,' said Shashi, gesturing to Arnav. 

ASR raised his chin as if deciding something and said, 'I want to buy the Box-Lightning.' The two other men looked at him in astonishment. He took a deep breath and continued. 'I had put in an offer for it to Rudi, but he decided to sell to you. I don't know why nor do I want to know. I'm making the same offer to you plus ten percent.' He named a number. 'Sir,' he added as an afterthought.

Khushi reined her horse in at the Wild Bull. She looped the reins over the pommel and swung gracefully off the horse. She'd never been to a place like this, but there was always a first time. Walking into the dim interior, she took a deep breath and glanced around, the hat shading her features. 

Ela looked up as the door opened, her eyes widening at the petite figure standing there. There was no mistaking her as a man, even though she wore the standard range uniform of boots and jeans and shirt. The curves were all woman. 

She bustled over to her, 'Hey, welcome to the Wild Bull,' she said. 

Khushi turned, taking in the exotic woman in front of her. She smiled tentatively and said, 'I'm looking for Lavanya.'

'I'm Lavanya, but call me Ela,' Lavanya said. 'You're looking for me?'

'Ela,' Khushi held out a hand. 'Can we talk?'

'Sure,' Ela shook her hand, wondering what this girl wanted. She'd never seen her before. 'Come with me.' She led them both into her little office at the back of the room. 

Aman narrowed his eyes. Who was the new girl? His eyes followed them as they exited through the door at the back. 

'Sit, please,' Lavanya said.

Khushi had taken off her hat, and lowered herself into the chair, her fingers worrying the brim, and chewing on her lower lip. 

'What's your name?' Lavanya asked. 

'Khushi. Khushi Gupta,' she replied.

The newcomers! thought Lavanya. 'Welcome to Yerba,' she said. 'How're you liking it here?'

'Good,' Khushi said, smiling at her. 'I ... I heard you're looking to hire someone to work here,' she said eagerly to Lavanya. 

'Yes, I need another hand in the evenings,' Ela said. 

'Can I get the job? I'll work hard, I promise you. I can cook and clean and I know how to make a drink,' Khushi leaned forward, her words coming out in a rush. 

Lavanya's eyes wandered over her. The beautiful alabaster skin, the dancing grey-green eyes, the pouty mouth, and the pearly teeth. The men would flock in if she were behind the bar. But this was a rough country and so were the men. The girl wouldn't stand a chance. Besides, she didn't look a day over sixteen or seventeen at best. 

'How old are you?' she asked instead. 

'All of twenty, ma'am,' Khushi said. 

Lavanya raised her eyebrows. She had serious misgivings about this. She shook her head. 'I don't think I can give you the job, Khushi,' she said. 

The eagerness died out of her face, to be replaced by a woebegone look. 'But why?' 

'I don't think you'll be able to handle it,' said Lavanya seriously. 

WHAT was it with people thinking she couldn't do a job? Khushi thought furiously. 'I may look fragile, but I assure you I'm very hard-working and I can do this.'

'I'm sure you're hardworking, Khushi. That's not what I'm thinking of,' Lavanya assured her. 'It's the men I'm thinking about. You won't be able to handle them.'

'I can ride like a man and shoot like one. You think I can't handle them?' Khushi waved her hand dismissively. 'I've been dealing with men all my life, Ela.'

'I know, Khushi. But you're too pretty to put behind a bar,' Lavanya said the one thing that was uppermost in her mind. 

'So are you, Ela,' Khushi retorted, fire in her eyes. 'How do you run this place?'

Lavanya gave a lop sided smile, something sad in her eyes. 'I manage to, Khushi. But it's not always easy. Besides, we work till late at night. How'll you get home?'

Khushi could see Lavanya was bending and she pushed her advantage home. 'I'll get a place to stay in town?' she questioned, rather than asked. 

'No, Khushi,' Lavanya said firmly. 'No. I can't give you that job.'

'Please, Ela. I really need it,' she pleaded, the rounded eyes begging her to agree.

Lavanya turned away from them. She thought for a long moment. 'Okay. You can work here during the day, three days a week. I'll take the evenings,' she said. 

'YES!' Khushi jumped up in excitement. 

'Not so fast,' said Lavanya. Khushi deflated and sat down. 'I need to see how you handle yourself in the bar today, before I say yes. Come with me.' Saying so, she got up and left the room. Khushi followed her out, and behind the bar. 

Aman stood at a corner, eyeing the scene in front of him. Whatever had happened in there, he could see that the new girl was nervous as she followed Ela in. He never thought of Lavanya as anything other than Ela. Earth. It suited her, her thought. He raised a finger and Ela motioned her companion over. 

'Yes, sir, what can I get you?' asked the girl in a nervous though firm voice. 

'I need to pay for the coffee,' he said, amused. He looked at Ela, wondering why she had stayed so far back. Ela looked at the girl and he smiled. 'What's your name, sweetheart?' he said, leaning over the bar, crowding into Khushi's space. 

She swallowed and stepped back nervously, but then straightened her back. 'Khushi,' her voice was stronger now. 'And I ain't no sweetheart, sheriff,' she had glimpsed his badge on the vest. 

His eyes roamed her face and then flicked over to Lavanya. A faint nod. A message passed. He dropped two coins on the bar, 'keep the change, honey,' he added. He noted the faint blush rising up her cheeks and trailed a finger down it. She grabbed his finger and twisted it back, pushing on it with all her might. He winced in pain. The little one was tough!

'Keep your fingers to yourself, sheriff,' she gritted out, jaws clenched, smiling all the while. The other men in the saloon had stopped what they were doing to watch the little drama at the bar.

Lavanya hid a smirk. She could definitely take care of herself, she thought. 

Aman pulled his finger back. Khushi glared at him. 'Ma'am,' he said, and touched the brim of his hat. With a slight smile at Ela, he turned and left the saloon.

Khushi stared at his back, her mouth open, eyes rounded. What just happened? She turned to Lavanya with a puzzled look. 

'Come back at eleven tomorrow,' said Lavanya. 

Khushi rode home in a daze. She had the job. But what was all that with the sheriff? she thought. Coming close to the house she noticed the two horses standing grazing near the verandah. A grey appaloosa. What was he doing here? 

She sent Red off towards the corral and ran up the stairs, pushing the door, just as someone pulled it open from the inside. She stumbled in, reaching out for something to hold on to before she fell flat on her face. Her hands landed on something soft and hard at the same time. Rock like arms held her waist, as hers went around this pillar against which she seemed to have fallen, holding her close, tight to a lean, muscled body.

Something told her it was him. She opened her eyes slowly and looked up. Caramel eyes looked into hers, concerned and amused at the same time. Her head was on his chest, her hat hanging behind her, her fingers on the ripcord muscles under his shirt.

He didn't let her go. Just held her in his arms, feeling the softness of her form all the way from chest to knees. He swallowed, trying to wet his suddenly dry throat, as he looked at that peachy skin, the bloom on it that of a fresh spring flower. Her big eyes stared into his, just as unable to look away, her pink lips parted in surprise and something else. 

Reluctantly, very reluctantly, he let her go, allowing her to stand on her feet, his hands sliding off her. 

'You!' she exclaimed. 'What are you doing here?'

1chilly thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Aman and Ela have something going on? Why would the sheriff be upset if Arnav went to the Wild Bull?
Why does Arnav want to buy the Guptas ranch? 
Khushi falls in Arnav's arms. Just the right pair of arms to fall in. 

The readership will grow gradually, M. I'm sure word will spread on the forum. 

I'm first. Yay. I'm first.
Edited by 1chilly - 10 years ago
CheshireBilli thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 7
OOOH! Aman and Lavanya. I sense the tension. I wonder why Ela won't give him the time of day? 

o.O There's history with Lightning Box and Arnav? Bet Shashi doesn't sell. They'd have to leave then.

And I see Akashji and Payalji have met and are showing interest. 👍🏼

I am so excited with Khushi working at the bar. Something tells me that ASR would be hanging out there quite a bit.

And she falls and he catches her.