nikitagmc thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 13 years ago
This year, there were a number of changes in Jhalak. So which of the changes in the show did you like???

Here are those which I liked:::

1.) Change of choreographers-- The last three seasons had a pack of almost same choreographers. While they were very talented and it was nice to see them, yet somewhere I'm glad that this time they gave a chance to new fresh talent and yet retained some of the old choreos like Nishant, Marischa Deepak (he wasn't paired with anyone but he was involved with the show- I saw his pics on FB chilling out with the Shampa, Chang, Sushant etc.)

2.) Allotment of choreos--- Good attempt to balance the popularity equation since votes play an important role in determining the winner. Comparatively less glamorous and low profile or less seen/heard faces were given comparatively more popular choreos, i.e DID stars. So Yana got Salman, Renuka got Jai, Anushka got Punit and so on. It may not have worked out perfectly, but still, it was thoughtful of the channel.

3.) Judges panel this year seemed more balanced to me. Madhuri was a classical dancer, Malaika has tremendous experience judging reality shows and judges well, and Remo is a choreographer getting into technicalities. I felt that considering this, the panel was better chosen than those of previous seasons. Whether we agree with their judging or not or how successful they were as judges is a different question- but the channel should continue the trend of choosing judges in this manner- balance it well, not all choreos, not all film stars and most importantly- people who not only dance well, but also have knowledge of dance forms, also there should be someone for western and at least one judge having knowledge of Indian forms.

4.) Inclusion of some new innovative rounds- like folk dance and Street Dancing.

5.) Introduction of the Most Consistent Performer Award. Don't get me wrong people, I'm not saying this cos Sushant won it, but rather cos I always felt bad in previous seasons when the performer who had done brilliantly the whole season got nothing if public voting didn't go in his/her favour. Many deserving people get eliminated at times cos they do not get audience support. In the previous seasons, Sweta Salve, Sandhya Mridul, Hard Kaur and Gauhar Khan couldn't win the JDJ trophy cos audience favoured someone else in the end. These people gave excellent performances, got wonderful scores and comments but were left high and dry with no recognition at the end. 

And so, I'm happy that they introduced this award as a sort of Critics Award. I hope they continue this trend.

These are the changes I liked this season. What about you?

Edited by nikitagmc - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sphallolalia thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
As much as I agree with you must admit wish #4 could have included more dance forms,,,,, in Dancing with the stars Australia, they have max 2-3 dance forms per week, and everyone does for eg: either Viennese Waltz or Salsa.... so there is a benchmark for the viewer even if u are not familiar with the technicalities..... and then towards the finale, they all have to do a form they were not given before......and this time they had a round where they had to repeat/reinvent a form they didn't do well - like a chance to redeem themselves ..... I still love the desi version, as its closer to heart for obvious reasons 😍

For me a major positive was  the judges specials esp. Malaika's

and the acid test was participants challenges to each other, they had to really push the envelope there 😊

krait thumbnail
only thing i liked this season was

Introduction of the Most Consistent Performer Award. i think they introduced this bcoz they know very well that the BEST dancer of the season never wins

Edited by krait - 13 years ago
nikitagmc thumbnail

Originally posted by: trinket

As much as I agree with you must admit wish #4 could have included more dance forms,,,,, in Dancing with the stars Australia, they have max 2-3 dance forms per week, and everyone does for eg: either Viennese Waltz or Salsa.... so there is a benchmark for the viewer even if u are not familiar with the technicalities..... and then towards the finale, they all have to do a form they were not given before......and this time they had a round where they had to repeat/reinvent a form they didn't do well - like a chance to redeem themselves ..... I still love the desi version, as its closer to heart for obvious reasons 😍

For me a major positive was  the judges specials esp. Malaika's

and the acid test was participants challenges to each other, they had to really push the envelope there 😊

I agree. That is why I wrote 'a few rounds were new and innovative'

Towards the end, they started having more of 'theme' based rounds rather than 'dance form based rounds'-- for example, they were not told to do specific forms like Tango or whatever, rather they were given a theme (like Love, colours, Relationship etc.) and were told to prepare the act on it. While it made the acts more interesting, the problem that occured was that everyone started using the dance form which they did well- bollywood, contemporary and so on. (Sometimes they did try to do it differently though-- like Sushant and Shampa did Flamenco in colours and Lyrical Hip hop in LOVE theme. 

Along with the themes, they should have given a dance form as well-- I liked the round where there were different eras of cinema-- they made it entertaining by giving it a Bollywoodish feel, at the same time, they had to do a prescribed dance form, like Cha cha cha, hip hop etc,
Rapier thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I haven't watched the other seasons of Jhalak. so I cannot tell you what the positive changes are. but i can suggest some changes for next season that will probably make the show better, according to me at least.

1. Stay true to the concept of the show and do not let any trained dancer in the show. I feel it is very unfair for those who are not trained and have to compete with such exceptional dancers who know their technique and everything. And doing stage shows don't count. I mean legit training.

2. The judges panel maybe good this time, but I still feel that it is more important to have judges who have knowledge of the dances more than being able to do them. So basically, I want choreographers to judge the show with maybe one exceptional dancer. Remo and Madhuri are fine. But just add another choreographer to the panel. I'm not saying Malaika is not good. She is fine. But I have noticed that neither she nor Madhuri can accurately point out any mistakes. You need to know the terms and actual techniques to do that. having one judge who doesn't know the actual terms and stuff is fine. but having two is too much. We need accurate feedback. Not just "there were so many steps" or "i like the energy" and what not. We need someone who will point out all the mistakes, which Remo does, rather than speak generally.

3. Assign dance forms every week. This will stop the choreographers from boring us with the same styles every week. Imagine if all the choreographers decided they were gonna do contemporary this week. The whole episode will be an over dose of contemporary dances. Need variety!

4. Variety of celebrities. Need to have a good mix of celebs. majority of them this season are actors.

Actors: Daya, Sushant, Ankita, Mahi, Ragini, Renuka

Singers: Chang, Anushka

Athletes: Akhil

Comedian: Krushna

Popular figures (dunno how to categorize them): Yana, Shekhar

so you see, half of the celebrities are actors. And 5 out of the 6 actors are TV actors. Need variety!

That is all I can think of as of now...😆

There were a couple of things I liked on the show too:

1. Just like the TM said, the alloting of celebrities to choreographers. They tried to maintain a balance of the popularity, which is a very good move.

2. Quality of the choreography! The quality is very good! I had my doubts when I realized it was a celeb show. i didn't think the dances were gonna be that great. But they surprised me. Some of the choreos are fab!👏

Sphallolalia thumbnail

Originally posted by: nikitagmc

I agree. That is why I wrote 'a few rounds were new and innovative'

Towards the end, they started having more of 'theme' based rounds rather than 'dance form based rounds'-- 

As usual, you are spot on!
Perhaps the creative heads planned so, as the voting audience relate to the 'theme' more than a dance form they've never heard of..... 

Can't help saying this.... Sushant+Shampa+Theme+Dance form = Synergy  = Magic 

nikitagmc thumbnail

As usual, you are spot on!😆 Thankyou thankyou! I have noticed you are too kind with praise for me.
Perhaps the creative heads planned so, as the voting audience relate to the 'theme' more than a dance form they've never heard of..... Exactly. When there is a theme or a thought behind the dance the audience connects. In the beginning, the rounds were more form based (Salsa Tango, folk dance, street dancing) but Sushant-Shampa used a concept everytime which worked out well and people liked it a lot. And then the channel started GIVING OUT themes themselves as the audience who might not understand the difference between a salsa and samba perfectly can definitely understand the theme - easier for them to evaluate/appreciate, they might have felt.

Can't help saying this.... Sushant+Shampa+Theme+Dance form = Synergy  = Magic Agree absolutely. They brought out the themes very well, very soulfully. 

Sphallolalia thumbnail

Originally posted by: nikitagmc

As usual, you are spot on!😆 Thankyou thankyou! I have noticed you are too kind with praise for me.

[/QUOTE]

kya karein?? Watching JDJ and the battles here, I have become your fan-girl😳
nikitagmc thumbnail

kya karein?? Watching JDJ and the battles here, I have become your fan-girl😳

😆 😆 😆
Edited by nikitagmc - 13 years ago
BIackSwan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
fab post dear 👍🏼
i do agree with some of ur points nikita, but not entirely on da below

judges
yeah maduri's a trained classical dancer but i dont think she was a good judge. she was just sugar coating da celebs which is not wat we expect from a judge. as for malaika, i believe she was somewat better than maduri cz she at least tired to point out flaws and praised which needed to be praised. she wasn't da best but i can say okish... remo on da other hand was better compared to maduri & remo. since he's da only choreographer in da judging panel, he triggered both celebs and choreographers to a certain extent. i wish they had somebody like farah khan or vaibavi to balance da judging panel

dance forms
wish they had different dance form rounds so it was easier for us, viewers to see who's good at wat rather than pin pointing certain celebs for doin one particular dance form repetitively. we all had discussions and cat fights cz dere weren't any weeks dedicated to different dance forms

contestants
i'v da same pov as rapier on dis topic so i dont wanna repeat wats been posted abt da contestants