Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kishore_bhakta thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
My favorites are the tabla, pakhawaj, and khol. I own those three in fact (all bolt tensioned, which is why I posted bolt tuned renditions of them).
sreejan thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
thankyou bhakthaji ...i have listened to most of these .......khol i never heard of ....where is it used ?
kishore_bhakta thumbnail

Originally posted by: sreejan

thankyou bhakthaji ...i have listened to most of these .......khol i never heard of ....where is it used ?

Bengali bhajans and kirtans.

If you guys like, I can post a clip of me playing esraj few years ago with khol as the drum.

sreejan thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: kishore_bhakta

Bengali bhajans and kirtans.

If you guys like, I can post a clip of me playing esraj few years ago with khol as the drum.

sure please do 😊

uknaik99 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
whenever i see pic of Tabla..

immediate picture comes to my mind is Jakhir Hussain and his hair... playing Tabla n saying WAH TAJ 😃 😃

just imagine any music without Tabla...it is like food without Salt... 😊 😊
kishore_bhakta thumbnail
😳
Here it is... back in 2002, when I got my first esraj and practicing without real knowledge of music. I recorded a small sample or Raga Dhani (which due to my poor fund of knowledge, turned into something sounding close to Bhimphalasi or some other Kafi thaat raga). The khol here is a Swarshala recording looped again to help me keep tala.

http://rapidshare.de/files/16276630/dhani.ram.html Edited by kishore_bhakta - 18 years ago
leoni thumbnail

Originally posted by: sreejan

Khol aka mridanga is used for Manipuri dance and for its folk song too.

mudabid thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Thank you Kishore bhaktaji. My favourites are the tabla and dholak.
Dholak especially brings memories of the kirtans and marriages I had attended. Guranteed to compliment songs from any genre 😉
kishore_bhakta thumbnail
Dholak is a fun instrument. The problem lies with (and this is true with any instrument) purchasing a good one! The rassi walla (rope ones) can't tune so high compared to the bolt one. I usually tune it to the fourth or fifth of the song. People find it strange considering that dholaks were "never meant to be tuned"