Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Larae thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
i just read chapter 4 and 5 and what can i say its just brilliant i really love this ff every chapter i read it gets more interesting and i just feel like reading more and more and you are like one of the fastest updaters plz continue soon i cannot wait for the next chapter

love
mehar 😃
Sadia87 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
OMG can NOT wait for ch.6!!
Adi and mets' in an elevator..alone.. 😍
*mittu* thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Arti, just read all the parts. Its a fabulous fanfic. I loved Adi and mets encounter 😳 . Excellent writing 👏 👏 👏 .
How I wish they bring back Adi, Mets and Suyesh Mehra back in KGGK. I wont even mind if they show that Om is an imposter. Om is boring.. Suyesh Mehra was stylish. Guess that is not going to happen. We will have to be happy with the fanfics.
Can't wait for the next instalment. Please continue soon 😊 ..

--arti-- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
samhita, shaz, amina, mehar, sadizzle, mittu
THANK you so much! Hope you continue reading this FF and that it entertains you. 😊

Don't worry guys, Shruti and Maithili are back as a team in the next chapter I'm going to post in a few minutes.. 😳

@mittu
I AGREE! Suyah was stylish.. and he was suave, too, or maybe I just liked him because he's Adi's grandfather! 😳
I can't stand stupid OM. I laughed when you said Om is boring because I just wrote that in a new chapter.. not chapter 6 but in chapter 7 which I haven't finished yet!

Everyone, please be a little patient with me. I know the next chapter is short and boring but I'm writing some new stuff that comes up after that I think you guys will like! 😃

--aartiEdited by --arti-- - 15 years ago
--arti-- thumbnail
CHAPTER 6
Reconciliation

"Whoa! What the hell…," wondered Adi as some crazy woman entered the elevator in a rush, lost her balance and collided with him. She fell to the floor, taking him down with her in the next few seconds. He searched for her face angrily, wondering who could be this clumsy. His eyes found her face and rested on them.

From the shock of the fall and the dizziness of fast-moving elevator, Maithili's eyes were tightly shut after the fall. She had no idea that it was Adi's body that was on top of hers. In the moment that it took for her to open her eyes, Adi's anger dissipated and his eyes sympathetically savoured her vulnerability as she lay beneath him. She had been crying. Her reddened cheeks were moist. A pang of guilt struck him. He had done this to her, he berated himself. He thought he saw a mild throb in her wet cheeks for a split second, but it had disappeared. Without even thinking about it, he brought his hands to her face and his fingers almost brushed against those soft cheeks. What would happen if he touched her now? Would that old magic return? Will he feel that old spark between the both of them which he thought had safely disappeared from his life?

Maithili opened her eyes to see none other than Aditya Mehra on top of her and with his fingers so close to her face. She saw something in his eyes that she didn't recognize, but in any case, she was still furious with him.
"Get off me, Adi!" she ordered.
When Maithili uttered his name as Adi, he heard the sense of ownership she took when she said it. He felt so close to her at that moment, literally and otherwise.
"I'm…sorry," he stuttered as he got up, forgetting that it was her who clumsily fell on him in the first place! All that mattered to him now was that he had made her so upset. He tried to help her pick up her papers, but she shoved off his arm. The elevator came to a stop and Maithili rushed out, even more upset that Adi had seen her crying in humiliation. Adi followed her.

"Wait!" he yelled after her, catching up with her. "Don't do this."
"Do what? If you mean you want me to let go of the case, you can forget it."
"Listen, forget about the case for a minute. I mean don't run away right now, Maithili," he said. He had begun that sentence loudly but got to a really soft tone when he said her name.
Maithili stared at him. He had said her name with a tenderness that she didn't know he was capable of. She had managed to stop most of her tears of anger by now, but a few drops still fell involuntarily, as if to remind her of her humiliation.
"You're… crying," Adi softly said.
"Well I suppose you thought I'd be laughing with joy after what you put me through back there."
"I'm sorry. I… really shouldn't have spoken that way. I-I just don't know what came over me. I wouldn't have gotten that angry with someone else, so I don't know why when I saw that it was you I got so…" he trailed off, unable to complete his thought.

He thought of telling her that he had been angry since the day she left India without saying goodbye to him. That he had only forgotten about that anger and that pain, it had still been there deep down until he just screamed at her. Memory is a trickster, Maithili, he thought to himself. He thought of telling her that he had seen her some days ago in this area. That he was surprised when Tanu told him she worked here… and that he had no idea she was so close all along while he had been desperately lost in her thoughts since the day he noticed her. But he couldn't tell her all this. The words wouldn't come, and it wouldn't make sense anyway. And on top of it all, he was aware that he had just been thoroughly out of line with her back in the office.

She breathed impatiently, and he sensed that she was uncomfortable. He blurted out the only thing that he thought would make her feel better at that moment.
"Look, you should go ahead with the case if it's important to you. In fact, I'll talk to Mamma and make sure you can remain in SAG."
"Stop it, Adi," she said in an angry and curt tone. "I don't need your permission to do the case, nor do I need you to get me my position back in a place where I have to deal with people like you. I was a lawyer before I came to SAG and will continue to practice even after leaving here," she said and quickened her pace.
"Okay, stop walking for a second. Can we please sit down and talk about this? Can I extend some 'professional courtesy' to you to make up for what I did back there?" he said, slightly humourously.
It was no use.
"No, it's too late."
"Maithili, come on," he pleaded.
She paused. Maithili was struck by the sincerity he heard in her voice. She stared at his face, feeling confused. But she couldn't trust him. Not now.
"If you think you can charm your way out of this case, then you're sorely mistaken. I'll see you in court, Mr. Mehra."

Adi sighed with frustration. He watched her walk away, determined to not give him a chance. He wanted to run after her and apologize again and again until she believed him. He wanted to brush off those tears of hurt from her cheeks, and he really wanted to make sure she was okay. But he just stood there, knowing she wouldn't budge, and knowing that there's nothing he could do right now.

It had been two weeks since the incident at SAG. As it turned out, a neglected old policy at Prism had created some problems for a sector of workers, and without Adi really getting to know about it, this issue had fallen through the cracks. Shruti had gotten involved with the case and resolved it so that it didn't need to go to court at all. It just had to clear an arbitration process where the lawyer has to sit down with the employer and work out the policy problems over a time of 2-3 weeks.

Shruti knew that Maithili had made a mistake, but felt bad because she also knew Maithili was new to law in India. Shruti decided to visit Maithili at her house.

"Um…Ma'am? Please come in." Maithili was surprised to find Shruti here.
"Thanks, Maithili." Shruti looked about. "Is Kamal ji also home?"
"Uh…Papa is away on a business trip."
"Oh I see. I just came by to talk to you about something," Shruti said as they both entered the living room and Maithili directed her towards the couch.
Shruti began to elaborate on the complications of the Indian legal system to Maithili. Shruti explained to her that one can't just file lawsuits at the drop of a hat in a country where stacks and stacks of legal cases stood as pending for years, sometimes decades. Shruti made it clear that this had nothing to do with the fact that Prism was her son's company, but that it was a general rule of thumb to follow. Maithili began to understand the situation better, and realized that she had initially acted in haste. Nevertheless, Adi had still been out of line with her.

"Maithili, I know what you are thinking. Regardless of all of this, my son should not have acted that way with you, and I want to apologize on his behalf. You know, I have never seen him quite that angry. I guess it's just that he has really been working very hard on Prism. And that morning, it turns out that he had lost some important clients because of some rumours about the lawsuit. These kinds of things get blown up into very big issues. That's another reason to tread cautiously."
"You're right, Ma'am, and please, you don't need to apologize on his behalf. Aap mujhe sharminda mat kijye."
"Maithili, chahe koi bhi ho, I don't think it's right to speak like that in a professional environment."
Maithili nodded faintly. Of course she was still angry with Adi, but she didn't want to show that in front of Shruti, who was being so kind and patient with her.
"Maithili, there's something I need to tell you. When I first saw you, I felt like you reminded me of someone but I wasn't sure who. In the past couple of weeks, I have realized that you remind me of me -- of the younger Shruti Mehra. You have the same passion and conviction that I did. My hope is that you will go far, beta, and achieve a lot more than I have."
Saying this, Shruti reached towards Maithili and touched her shoulder lightly. Maithili felt embarrassed for having resigned in haste. She was moved by Shruti's words. Shruti and Maithili had been sharing such a good bond that Maithili shouldn't have taken out her anger with Adi on Shruti Ma'am. Maithili apologized to Shruti and thanked her for the job offer, and promised that she would be back on the job. She also told Shruti that she would see through this arbitration process with Aditya Mehra no matter how bitter their personal history was.
"I'm proud of you," Shruti said as she looked affectionately at Maithili. Letting her guard down a little bit, Maithili warmly reached towards Shruti for a hug and they both shared a friendly and affectionate embrace.

Maithili waved at Shruti, whose car was now exiting the front gate. As soon as Shruti was out of view, Maithili started to feel a bit nervous again and as she stood staring at the gate, she worriedly drew in a deep breath.
"I just want to get through this arbitration soon, and then things can be back to normal…" Maithili sighed.
Edited by --arti-- - 15 years ago
--arti-- thumbnail
Hi guys, I am going to introduce a new character in the next couple of chapters (probably in chapter 8).

Her name will be Kajal, and she will be entering as Adi's ex-girlfriend. A few hints: she will be negative towards Maithili, but not as unrealistically negative as she was in the show. But to be honest, I haven't figured out the contours of her character yet, so it still has to take shape!

I'm including her character in the character list on the front page!

Oh and surprise, surprise, this is what she looks like:

-artiEdited by --arti-- - 15 years ago
Sadia87 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
nice updated!!
OMG Adi is sooooo sweet! 😍 **lucky mets'** 😆

I disagree..this chapter was really really cute!..NOT boring!! 😳

Thanx for updating so quick!! keep it up!

Alwayz reading!
tsamhita thumbnail
hehe love the chapter arti 😳 aww! adi was being so sweet 😳 😳 lekin maihtili is really ziddi! 😆 😆 well, hope this arbitration goes well 😉
--arti-- thumbnail
CHAPTER 7
New beginnings

"Sir, Ms. Aggarwal is here for the arbitration," his secretary Shivangi said through the intercom.
"Send her in," said Adi as he somewhat nervously straightened up for his first arbitration meeting with Maithili.

He hadn't seen Maithili since their tense encounter two weeks ago, where she left him standing outside the SAG office. Shruti had kept Adi updated on what was happening with the case, and he knew that that Maithili was back at SAG and would be coming to his office for the next three weeks for arbitration. It was no surprise to him that she would be arriving this morning. Still, it made Adi nervous to confront her after all that had happened. He had been so rude with her, and so unnecessarily harsh. Those tears, he thought to himself, those precious drops running down her soft cheeks…he did that. He should've known better. After all, Maithili was new at this kind of thing, and who knows how different all of this is from her experiences in legal cases abroad. He knew how stubborn Maithili could get, and there was simply no way she was going to forgive him, he thought.

"You'd better get ready for some heavy attitude, Adi," he thought to himself as he heard the doorknob turn.
He gave her a pleasant smile as she walked in, which she brushed off brusquely. Noting that she had come alone, Adi remembered Mamma telling him that Maithili was handling this process by herself.
"Congrats on re-joining SAG," he said warmly.
"Thanks, but I'm not here to talk about myself," she shot back.
This is going to be a loooong day, Adi thought to himself.

It was the middle of the day, and Adi and Maithili had been working through legal files for at least the past 3 hours. Of course, with her sitting across the desk from him, he was too distracted to actually concentrate on any work. Surprisingly, she was quite professional with him. He noticed how remarkably different and grown up she was from the Maithili he once knew. It was clear she was angry with him, but she was able to put that aside and get through work.

Through the corner of his eye, he stared at the way she absentmindedly tapped the edge of her pen against her chin. Ah, her chin, Adi thought back. He remembered the way she had stuck it out towards the breeze that day when he saw her for the first time after she had returned to India. Adi drifted into a fantasy. He imagined how it would've been if instead of the breeze, Mumbai had greeted her that morning with rain. How the drops of water might have dripped off her chin. And how if he had been there next to her, he might've kissed her chin, and how the cold and fresh rain water would've dripped down her chin, through his lips, and onto his tongue. He shook his head. He couldn't believe he, the serious businessman that he was, was having a bollywoodesque rain fantasy about Maithili in the middle of work. He chuckled at the thought of how angry she would get if she knew what he was thinking right now.
"Something funny?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.
"Uh, nothing… you don't want to know, trust me"
"O-kay," Maithili said in an irritated tone.
"Waise Maithili… how long has it been since you've seen a Bollywood movie?" he asked humorously.
She looked up from her files to shoot him a menacing look. She was clearly not amused.
"Can we get back to work, Adi?"
"Yes, of course," he paused before he continued, "but can you forgive me first? For the other day, at SAG? I'm really sorry, Maithili. There's no excuse for my behaviour and I've felt terrible since, please believe me," implored Adi.
A slow smile spread across Maithili's face. She was enjoying seeing Adi feel remorseful. She didn't want to let him get off that easy.
"What did you say, Adi? I couldn't hear you."
"I said I'm sorry about the other day."
"You? Sorry?"
"I'm really sorry. I mean it."

The Aditya Mehra she knew in college would have never apologized for anything, and especially not to someone from the opposite sex. She unwittingly smiled at him, warmly resting her eyes on his handsome features. His eyes looked so honest that she just had to believe that his apology was sincere. Maybe he had changed after all. She nodded to indicate that she had forgiven him. After all, she felt a little bad that he had lost his clients because of her hastiness. And she had to admit that she had gained a lot more respect for Adi after learning that she was Shruti's son. In addition, ever since she had been back at SAG, she had researched Prism and was impressed with his achievements.

"It's okay," she said. "And I'm sorry too, for…well, for rushing things with the lawsuit."
"No worries, what's done is done… Hey, can we take a break and go for lunch somewhere?"
"Don't push it, Adi."
"How is lunch pushing it?"
"Don't forget that I am here as a neutral party for this arbitration. Are you trying to bribe me?"
"Actually, that's not a bad idea."
Maithili rolled her eyes at this pathetic wisecrack.
"But I've got no intention of bribing you," Adi continued, slowly leaning in across the desk towards her, "so will you please lunch with me?"
Maithili smiled coyly at how sweet Adi was being with her.
"Mr. Mehra, I really don't---"
He interrupted her, "I like it when you call me Adi." He paused and added pensively, "I've missed the way you say my name." He retreated slightly, knowing he had said a bit too much.
"Fine, Adi, I guess I could use a lunch break." She was glad to change the subject.
"Really? You know, you're giving me too many surprises here. Firstly, I thought you'd never forgive me. And what's more, I didn't think you'd agree to have lunch with me. What happened to the Maithili Aggarwal who was always so difficult with me in college, huh?
"It's been a long time since that Maithili Aggarwal grew up and forgot about all that," she replied calmly.
"I hope you haven't forgotten everything," he said with a mischievous smile, and noticed some red rushing onto her cheeks.
"Let's go," she said, getting up from her chair and abruptly changing the subject to the topic of food.

"Adi beta, how was the first day of arbitration?" Shruti asked her son, who was sitting down with the newspaper in the living room after dinner.
"Oh it was great!" he said, realizing he probably was sounding a little over-enthusiastic about a dry legal process. "I mean to say, it went very well. It was a good start."
"Sounds good. How do you like working with Maithili? Apparently you two didn't used to get along in college. Any problems now?"
"Mamma… please. We were kids in college. We are obviously capable of working with each other just fine, and I think Maithili is incredibly skilled at what she does and quite professional."
Shruti smiled, happy that she was right about Maithili, and made her way to bed.

"Oh, I'm sure you are very professional with her," chimed in a bitter-sounding Tanu, who was sitting a few feet away watching TV.
Adi just remembered the whole lafda that Maithili and Tanu had earlier. Tanu had wanted him to talk to Mamma about Maithili, but he had forgotten. He sighed as he approached her.
"Tanu, kya baat hai yaar?"
"Don't yaar me. Bhai nahin ho tum mere…Traitor!" said Tanu in a sulky tone, flinging a pillow at him.
Adi caught the pillow and sat next to Tanu, trying to gently placate her.
"I think you got the wrong impression of Maithili."
"Oh really?"
"Well, okay, technically you didn't. She's quite…what do you say…well, she's outspoken, but she means well. And she's honest enough to speak what she thinks."
"Right," mumbled Tanu.
"Look, please give her a chance?"
"Ew, why are you asking me to give her a chance? I don't care about her! And I never want to see her again. What's the matter? Are you falling in love with her or something? Eww! Will I have to call her bhabhi?"
"Okay Tanu, that's enough," said Adi, getting off the couch while Tanu burst into laughter at having gotten a rise out of her brother.
Adi jogged upstairs towards Ashu's room to say good night, which was pretty much the only time he got to see his artist brother who liked to spend his time in his own world most of the time.

In the Rai Choudhury house, people tended up to stay up late into the night. Rishika had a habit of reading till late, and Gauri was usually buzzing around with too much energy to settle down into bed early. The only person who went to bed early was Rishabh Rai Choudhury, who was pretty boring in comparison to the stylish and vivacious mother--daughter pair.

Gauri was planning the details of the dance show she was choreographing for a charitable cause. She pulled out some of her costumes and went towards the mirror, trying to decide between them for the dance. She looked at herself, lost in thought for a moment, allowing herself to have a narcissistic moment admiring herself in the mirror.

Sometimes she felt like nobody understood her, including her best friend Tanu. Gauri was 19 years old, but she was a precocious 19-year-old, and though she developed an attraction towards boys, she wasn't too thrilled with the choice at her college. Why did boys her age have to be so…stupid, so utterly vacuous, she thought, frustrated. This opinion caused her to brush off most boys that gave her any attention, and it earned her the reputation that she was a snob and a heartbreaker. The fact that her friend Tanu's reputation was similar didn't help matters. But she didn't really care about their reputation. No matter what anyone said, Gauri knew Tanu the best. Tanu had a sharpness to her, and an edge that rubbed most people off the wrong way, but Gauri knew that her friend was mostly misunderstood.

Gauri sat down with her journal, lazily writing down her thoughts, which had rapidly shifted to Tanu's brother Ashu, whom she had vaguely known since childhood. In the past two years that Tanu and Gauri had become good friends, Gauri also spent more and more time with Ashu. Following suit with Tanu, Gauri called Adi bhaiyya and called Ashu by his name. Ashu was shy, but carried himself with a lot of maturity. She tried to sneak into his room to talk to him about his art, to see some of his paintings or sculptures in an effort to get him to open up to her. Ashu did respond to her, but only with a certain measure of timidity. As she wrote in her journal, she realized that she found the sensitive Ashu's creativity and timidity very attractive.

She closed the journal with a smile on her face, and turned down her music to make sure it wouldn't disturb her parents. She half-lay on her bed with her right foot still on the floor. Her nomadic dancer feet started absentmindedly tapping to the music and slowly stopped as she reluctantly fell into slumber, with dreams of Ashu awaiting her.
Edited by --arti-- - 15 years ago
tsamhita thumbnail
wow really well written! 😃 love how the arbitration went. i see adi's already flirting with mets 😉 😳 and maithili is slowly warming up to him 😳 tannu is quite funny with adi 😆 "eww! will i have to call her bhabhi" 😆 and gauri-ashu are a sweet couple in the making 😉 😃