Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Maroonporsche thumbnail
Posted: 4 months ago

Originally posted by: loginidran

Absolutely. Just the way he is getting praised while Shahid got all the brickbats for only doing what can be termed now as the vanilla version.Neither Shahid nor Kabir Singh got any nominations even.

Shahid got nominations but didn’t win. Vanga got none as as best director. 

What is this semi insider or semi outsider? All it reminded me is a scene from Rajmouli's Maryada ramanna movie where sunil(hero)) put his one leg out and one leg inside of door step in order to save himself from getting butchered by the goons. 

Red only the title. 

VimalPanMasala thumbnail
Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: DheeJattanDi

What rubbish. You're not gonna tell me that Deepika is more of an outsider than an Akshay who comes from Chandni Chowk not related or familiar to a single Bollywood celebrity, or SRK from Delhi who started off on television purely due to his talent and good luck and got noticed. Both these men didn't even come from "wealthy" families to begin with, leave alone being related to/known to stars.

Deepika's father was already a well known name and so was she before she actually entered the industry.

Sorry but your post makes ZERO sense.

Yes, I've worked in this industry. Not really more of an outsider but the Modelling world is different. You have to have a strong portfolio in print to be able to start. Akshay was a model but did not get noticed for it (to get into Bollywood) so you cannot really compare him to a model, the methods of getting roles and being noticed is entirely different. Same with SRK. This is why I separated them. You can't compare. 

Maybe you can compare Kangana who also got noticed because she is fantastic at print but had a much harder time bagging that start. It's not impossible for models to hire a talent manager to get them "in" to Bollywood by lobbying but the girls go in very deep debt over this and it's very difficult to come out unless you do a OSO. Deepika was in debt for quite a bit but she was an instant hit. Nora is a good example, she started off like this but ended up in several 'relationships' to pay off the debt from her talent manager. Same with Jacqueline and her friends working for her. 

Prakesh Padukone has no clout in the industry. Plenty of people used to make fun of Deeps before she debuted (because they thought she was lacking) as that baller's kid. Many of these modelling peeps heavily look down upon sportspeople because the athletic build makes it very difficult to dance gracefully and keep weight down. 

VimalPanMasala thumbnail
Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Daebak

If his mother had money to gamble and was a wealthy kitty party lady and lived in Pali Hill, then why didnt Akki have cash?

I thought he worked as a chef coz his family was not well off? Or maybe I have the wrong info.

Gambling addiction. Akshay did not have cash. Family wasted it all. Unfortunately Akshay himself is alleged to have the same addiction but does many movies to keep affording that vice. 

IAmLuvBolly thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: VimalPanMasala

There's many categories. Imran Khan is a full on insider. Along with Abhay Deol. He just chose to do his own thing. No semi-about it. Shamita is too because her mom was an awful stage mom and told Shilpa to use her influence to get her into films for extra money. 

Aditya Roy Kapoor is the exact definition of semi but also very rich. Parineeti Chopra, Alaya F is also in this kind of category. 

Kiara's connections are moreso financially being decently well off. Her Bollywood connections are extremely old, I think her family approached Juhi(?) because they have some business in common. Ranveer's family connections did not secure him a debut because his side of the family is not very friendly. His finances helped convince YRF. Those two are a mix - they had to audition and fight others but they had a edge financially to set them up. 

In an opposite sense, Akshay is not an true-blue outsider - his mother used to gamble with Dimple Kapadia and was one of the older wealthy kitty-party ladies at Pali Hill. He had connections to debut into Bollywood but not cash. SRK also had good words from influential figures that got Hema Malini to catch his eye. 

Deepika is an outsider, she personally hired Reshma with her portfolio to get her into Bollywood. Being the child of a famous player doesn't get you films unless you're Sara Tendulkar. DP had the looks so Reshma took her in. 

Bhumi's father was a politician but he passed a long time ago. She's not really an insider. Her finances are also not very inflated. She worked as an assistant for many years so she does have many Bollywood friends, however that is in the context that she worked for them. A lot of people made fun of her BTS but Bhumi has focused now on being a character actress and given up on mainstream bollywood. 

I suppose it depends on how we each define insider or semi insider.  I agree about Imran and Abhay.  But I also think Alaya F is full insider being the granddaughter of Kabir Bedi.  ARK’s mom was an actress and his brother is big time producer so I consider him full insider too.  

I think it also depends on who takes interest in you. Pranutan as the granddaughter of Nutan is a full on insider but since Salman took interest in her and not KJo her career is that of a B grade artist now.  Kiara only has blood and familial connections with Saed Jaffrey and Ashok Kumar and her start was with the help of Salman Khan. But since KJo sort of took over with Lust Stories she’s an A lister now.  

Deepika is very much a self made woman. Ranveer is an interesting case because technically does have connections but I’m not sure how much help those connections were. He is very arguably also self made. I have heard of rumors of his dad giving YRF 10cr to launch his son. I doubt that’s true.  Even at their most struggling point I doubt YRF was desperate enough for 10cr to agree to this smiley36.  As a matter of fact given how KJo was against his launch I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that Bollywood wasn’t even aware of his connections in the beginning. Nothing makes you appealing and desirable in Kjo’s eyes than a Bollywood connection.  

My idea of semi insiders are Vicky Kaushal and Ajay Devgan. Or even Shahid Kapoor given that his parents were mere character actors with probably minimal to no power in the industry. He is connected to Nasirdeen Shah but I doubt he got him the backup dancer gig in Taal.  

Akshay and SRK are full on outsiders. First time I’m hearing about his mother’s gambling with Dimple. By that definition than even Amitabh Bachchan is not an outsider as his mom was very close to Indira Gandhi. What’s a bigger influence than Indira Gandhi?  

Mallika-E-Bhais thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: IAmLuvBolly

I suppose it depends on how we each define insider or semi insider.  I agree about Imran and Abhay.  But I also think Alaya F is full insider being the granddaughter of Kabir Bedi.  ARK’s mom was an actress and his brother is big time producer so I consider him full insider too.  

I think it also depends on who takes interest in you. Pranutan as the granddaughter of Nutan is a full on insider but since Salman took interest in her and not KJo her career is that of a B grade artist now.  Kiara only has blood and familial connections with Saed Jaffrey and Ashok Kumar and her start was with the help of Salman Khan. But since KJo sort of took over with Lust Stories she’s an A lister now.  

Deepika is very much a self made woman. Ranveer is an interesting case because technically does have connections but I’m not sure how much help those connections were. He is very arguably also self made. I have heard of rumors of his dad giving YRF 10cr to launch his son. I doubt that’s true.  Even at their most struggling point I doubt YRF was desperate enough for 10cr to agree to this smiley36.  As a matter of fact given how KJo was against his launch I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that Bollywood wasn’t even aware of his connections in the beginning. Nothing makes you appealing and desirable in Kjo’s eyes than a Bollywood connection.  

My idea of semi insiders are Vicky Kaushal and Ajay Devgan. Or even Shahid Kapoor given that his parents were mere character actors with probably minimal to no power in the industry. He is connected to Nasirdeen Shah but I doubt he got him the backup dancer gig in Taal.  

Akshay and SRK are full on outsiders. First time I’m hearing about his mother’s gambling with Dimple. By that definition than even Amitabh Bachchan is not an outsider as his mom was very close to Indira Gandhi. What’s a bigger influence than Indira Gandhi?  

B Sr’s mother came from an aristocratic Sikh family which was close to Indira Gandhi & his Mum is said to have been bffs with Indira Gandhi. When Sonia Gandhi first came to India, she stayed with the Bachchans!! They were absolutely family for ages before it all went downhill. 

But I highly doubt they had anything to do with B Sr’s Superstardom lol. Even Sr was an outsider b/c even though very well-connected etc, no-one helped him land those film roles & he struggled heavily for a long time. 

There are gradations to Nepotism & Privilege. People like Vicky Kaushal & Shahid Kapoor are only NepoBabies in name lol. 

Sorry I just finished watching Khushi & Jhanvi Kapoor’s KWK & I am riled. smiley36

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Mallika-E-Bhais

B Sr’s mother came from an aristocratic Sikh family which was close to Indira Gandhi & his Mum is said to have been bffs with Indira Gandhi. When Sonia Gandhi first came to India, she stayed with the Bachchans!! They were absolutely family for ages before it all went downhill. 

But I highly doubt they had anything to do with B Sr’s Superstardom lol. Even Sr was an outsider b/c even though very well-connected etc, no-one helped him land those film roles & he struggled heavily for a long time. 

There are gradations to Nepotism & Privilege. People like Vicky Kaushal & Shahid Kapoor are only NepoBabies in name lol. 

Sorry I just finished watching Khushi & Jhanvi Kapoor’s KWK & I am riled. smiley36

Oops I got into big drama for saying that last time. Glad to know some people think it is the objective truth.

Billi_Bangalan thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Easter Egg Contest Winner (2023) 0 Thumbnail + 6

We cant say deepoka is semi insider or something but being padukones kid definitely had a much bigger push in modelling arena and attention in media than other kids from normal families. A famous surname goes a long way.

Originally posted by: IAmLuvBolly

How is Shahid, Ajay and Vicky are semi-outsiders? All of their dads are connected to Bollywood. Don’t know how popular Shahid’s dad was but Ajay and Vicky’s dad are well known people in Bollywood. Ajay’s dad was very well known fighting director and Vicky’s dad is a producer. Ajay Devgan’s family has a production house from long time. He and Tabu went to the same school. His brother is also a producer. From Vicky and Ajay’s look, they would not get sidekick roles if they are outsiders. Kajol and Katrina would not even marry these guys if they don’t have family connections in Bollywood or if they didn’t come from an influential family. If any actors actresses parents are connected to Bollywood, then I don’t think they will be considered semi-insiders. I think semi-insiders can be considered if they have brother, sister or other relatives in Bollywood. I agree Akshay and SRK are full outsiders. 

Mallika-E-Bhais thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Grumpydwarf24

Oops I got into big drama for saying that last time. Glad to know some people think it is the objective truth.

Oh there absolutely are. My favourite theory is that most people who go on & on & on about Nepotism do so, only b/c they’re extremely jealous & insecure. Put them in that same position & 99.9% (actually 100%, but let’s be kind) would do exactly the same as the NepoBaby, some would do far worse. All this talk about morals & privilege & self-righteous jealousy only works b/c life has been unfair to them. If they had opportunity to do the same, they would do EXACTLY the same as the NepoBaby in grabbing that opportunity. 

And I say this as someone who works in a deeply nepotistic industry in India where I know no-one etc. So I get the frustration & irritation etc. But what’re you going to do?? Life is inherently unfair & you can only play with the cards you’re dealt with. 🤷‍♀️