Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Kyahikahoon thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 15 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 8 months ago

Originally posted by: DanmeiLover

When Calcutta was changed into Kolkata , a lot fo people had problems with it . Because of nostalgia and colonial hangover. 

But now , I seriously think it was the best decision to change the name into Kolkata.

So I don't see why not.. it's already one of the official names. There's no reason not to rename it.

Also, whoa , such a strong reaction against mere rumors!  This country truly is cursed with the wokes. 

Calcutta to Kolkata

Madras to Chennai

Bangalore to Bengaluru

Trivandrum to Thiruvananthapuram

Bombay to Mumbai

Mysore to Mysuru

Hubli to Hubbali

Cochin to Kochi

Pondicherry to Puducherry

Belgaum to Belagavi

Calicut to Kozhikode 

All these and more changed in 2000s and no one batted n eyelid. Hungama happens only now.

Here is the list with year of change

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaming_of_cities_in_India

Kyahikahoon thumbnail

Originally posted by: AreebsMumFanS2

the thing is in rest of the world, when place names are changed to pre-colonial names or to indigenous names,the conservatives have problems with it.. and in India the political dynamics is totally opposite so will be interesting to see how the groups react online..

Indian politics  me to left, right ka concept hi ulta hai..the PM that they hate so much is more liberal than the so called liberal wing😛 so much so that extreme right wingers even call him a minority appeaser and Maulana Modi😂

Take anything, LGBTQ rights, women rights n empowerment, Basic facilities for the poor n downtrodden and so on..this govt has been most liberal

Kyahikahoon thumbnail

Originally posted by: aparnauma

Bharat name was some 4000 years old but India Hindoo are the names that India had even before it came to be called Bharat.

For the record the name India is derived from Hindu and Sindhu which are lot more ancient than Bharat.

In Bible it was referred to as Hindu desh.

I would like India to be referred as Hindustan or India instead of Bharat alone.

So the name was Sindhu and Sindhu Sabhyata, not Indus and Indus Valley civilization..who gave that name? 

Till date we have women named as Sindhu..not Indus.

Hindustan is another option, but will it be acceptable to people who also oppose Bharat?

MaxMayfield thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Kyahikahoon

Indian politics  me to left, right ka concept hi ulta hai..the PM that they hate so much is more liberal than the so called liberal wing😛 so much so that extreme right wingers even call him a minority appeaser and Maulana Modi😂

Take anything, LGBTQ rights, women rights n empowerment, Basic facilities for the poor n downtrodden and so on..this govt has been most liberal

In this case it is not about RW or LW, usually I love to call out the BS of Left wing woke janta..but this is clearly done because the opposition is called "I.N.D.I.A"..i mean opposition is super petty and irritating and filled with chors, that doesnt mean that BJP needs to change the name of the country officially everywheresmiley36 I am wondering, what happens to the passports and every other document and our rupee notes as well, which have India mentioned in it?smiley44 and then to update every roll call in every summit/ organization "India" is a part of..its just unnecessary waste of time and money and effort..because politics is at play..

having said all of that, I agree Modi is Maulana Modi..smiley36 and Hindus are eighth class citizens in India, bring on Anand Ranganathansmiley37

Ocean_breeze thumbnail
IPL 2023 Match Winner Thumbnail ICC CWC 2023 Participants 0 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Palak2812

Yes 

G20 ka kaam has started from Dec last year itself.

I had been there yesterday.. Wanted to take a picture or two then thought maare jynge bina mautsmiley36

Kyahikahoon thumbnail

Originally posted by: MaxMayfield

In this case it is not about RW or LW, usually I love to call out the BS of Left wing woke janta..but this is clearly done because the opposition is called "I.N.D.I.A"..i mean opposition is super petty and irritating and filled with chors, that doesnt mean that BJP needs to change the name of the country officially everywheresmiley36 I am wondering, what happens to the passports and every other document and our rupee notes as well, which have India mentioned in it?smiley44 and then to update every roll call in every summit/ organization "India" is a part of..its just unnecessary waste of time and money and effort..because politics is at play..

having said all of that, I agree Modi is Maulana Modi..smiley36 and Hindus are eighth class citizens in India, bring on Anand Ranganathansmiley37

But it's still a rumor. For petty or whatever reasons, it's not done yet. I.N.D.I.A alliance can take this credit when the change happens.

Regarding other things, how did Myanmar n Netherlands go about their name changing process?

If this rumour is indeed true..govt can just start with sending official communication with the change. Even now their letterhead has Bharat Sarkar in Hindi.

Our passports have the name Bharat. Currency has Bharatiya reserve Bank written in Hindi. And no it doesn't have India written as a country name..nor govt of India.

It's Reserve Bank of India, Bharatiya reserve Bank in Hindi, Governor, Central Govt, kendriya sarkar in Hindi and Satyamev Jayate written along with the value and other things.

IIT Bombay and Madras didn't change their names when city names changed. So institutes need not change 

aparnauma thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Kyahikahoon

So the name was Sindhu and Sindhu Sabhyata, not Indus and Indus Valley civilization..who gave that name? 

Till date we have women named as Sindhu..not Indus.

Hindustan is another option, but will it be acceptable to people who also oppose Bharat?

Indus valley civilisation Indus were given by the people from outside who had trade and cultural contacts with India of that time and that. The name India has the echoes of Indus valley civilisation.

The reason south will oppose the name Bharat is because Bharat Varsha was the region upto Vindyas.

The region south of Vindhyas had historically never been part of Bharat.

Bharat is associated with Vedas and this ignores the people who do not follow Vedic religion.

So India is anyday better than Bharat.

NimbuMirchi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: I_M_SultaN

seth ji ne indian citizenship kia li yaha to naam hi change hugaya 

Kyahikahoon thumbnail

Originally posted by: aparnauma

Indus valley civilisation Indus were given by the people from outside who had trade and cultural contacts with India of that time and that. The name India has the echoes of Indus valley civilisation.

The reason south will oppose the name Bharat is because Bharat Varsha was the region upto Vindyas.

The region south of Vindhyas had historically never been part of Bharat.

Bharat is associated with Vedas and this ignores the people who do not follow Vedic religion.

So India is anyday better than Bharat.

What is this info based on? I live in South India. Here they religiously follow the Vedic culture. Veda is a very common name in the southernmost state of Kerala. Bharat is a very very common name even in older generation.

M mentioning names coz they r the first and very relatable means to understand the culture..there r many other references to show South was always part of Bharat Varsha. Even in spoken language they use this term till date.

There is a place in TN called Tenkasi which literally means Kashi of South. 

IMO this isn't a topic of debate at all