What’s the deal with Sony Tv?

Maaanxo thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Is it a normal thing that Sony ends their tv show after about 100 episodes? Other channels run their shows a lot longer then that. I’ve loved a lot of shows in the past that were ended in a very rushed way bcs of low TRP. The only shows that had like a good 300 episodes or smth were KRPKAB and YUDKBH. And let’s not forget crime petrolThat show has been running since the day I was born probably. Anyway.. is this like a normal thing on Sony tv? To end shows without caring about its fanbase?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maaanxo

Is it a normal thing that Sony ends their tv show after about 100 episodes? Other channels run their shows a lot longer then that. I’ve loved a lot of shows in the past that were ended in a very rushed way bcs of low TRP. The only shows that had like a good 300 episodes or smth were KRPKAB and YUDKBH. And let’s not forget crime petrolThat show has been running since the day I was born probably. Anyway.. is this like a normal thing on Sony tv? To end shows without caring about its fanbase?

Also the fact that they don't repeat telecast their shows and when they do its at 6am 

Nah, they don't care.🥺

rubys07 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

TL;DR version: Yes.

Long version: I guess the problem with Sony is that while they at least try to bring in shows that are a little unconventional compared to its contemporaries, they keep forgetting what their USP is and fall for the TRP rat race. If you look at other channels, you'll perhaps notice that at any given point of time, most of their shows vary a lot from what is being shown on Sony, YUDKBH being a glowing example. As sad it is, shows with same old, cliché tropes and regressive themes usually end up with more ratings than these shows and Sony eventually starts obsessing over it too, hence the premature shutdowns. IPZN, Beyhadh 2, YUDKBH, EDKV, KRP are just some examples. They've been doing it for decades

Bana thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: rubys07

TL;DR version: Yes.

Long version: I guess the problem with Sony is that while they at least try to bring in shows that are a little unconventional compared to its contemporaries, they keep forgetting what their USP is and fall for the TRP rat race. If you look at other channels, you'll perhaps notice that at any given point of time, most of their shows vary a lot from what is being shown on Sony, YUDKBH being a glowing example. As sad it is, shows with same old, cliché tropes and regressive themes usually end up with more ratings than these shows and Sony eventually starts obsessing over it too, hence the premature shutdowns. IPZN, Beyhadh 2, YUDKBH, EDKV, KRP are just some examples. They've been doing it for decades

Completely agree. ‘Yeh pyar nahi toh kya hai’ is another perfect example - novel concept, novel south-Indian family setting, realistic portrayal of corporate battles, slow burn romance, dishy hero, unsolved murder, no saas-bahu no kitchen politics, no overacting drama, lovely corporate look for FL. And icing on the cake was apt hindi shayari (like ghalib) lines from the hero that just nailed the situations! I really enjoyed that show until Sony did its cruel deed & cut it off abruptly on account of trp. But I think the makers did a better job wrapping it up than IPZN.

My other fave Sony show Mere dad ki dulhan miraculously survived the lockdown but got Sony’s sudden axe some weeks later. Makers had to rush the mature romance into a shadi, suhaag raat & instant pregnancy, while nipping the younger lead’s romance in the bud & unceremoniously dumping a star new entry.

Yet folks like us who cannot stand the regressive bullshit on the other channels & cannot watch the overdose of dark shows on OTT, have no choice but to watch the Sony shows & pray hard they last!

Edited by Bana - 2 years ago
Maaanxo thumbnail

Originally posted by: Bana

Completely agree. ‘Yeh pyar nahi toh kya hai’ is another perfect example - novel concept, novel south-Indian family setting, realistic portrayal of corporate battles, slow burn romance, dishy hero, unsolved murder, no saas-bahu no kitchen politics, no overacting drama, lovely corporate look for FL. And icing on the cake was apt hindi shayari (like ghalib) lines from the hero that just nailed the situations! I really enjoyed that show until Sony did its cruel deed & cut it off abruptly on account of trp. But I think the makers did a better job wrapping it up than IPZN.

My other fave Sony show Mere dad ki dulhan miraculously survived the lockdown but got Sony’s sudden axe some weeks later. Makers had to rush the mature romance into a shadi, suhaag raat & instant pregnancy, while nipping the younger lead’s romance in the bud & unceremoniously dumping a star new entry.

Yet folks like us who cannot stand the regressive bullshit on the other channels & cannot watch the overdose of dark shows on OTT, have no choice but to watch the Sony shows & pray hard they last!

YPNTKH was one of my favorite shows honestly.. i really don’t get why the audience prefers gopi bahu over such gems but it is what it is

IshqaanFan001 thumbnail

It's not about trp race. It's about something else. When trp of any show is at the top, then many big giant companies tend 2 choose that show for giving advertisements during that time slot. These companies pay chans some huge amount for doing this. Hence, it becomes trp race eventually. But actually its race for money... Hence, sony is also obsessed with reality shows like kbc, super dancer, indian idol, etc.... Which brings more and more money for them in above mentioned manner... 

velvetscarf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: IshqaanFan001

It's not about trp race. It's about something else. When trp of any show is at the top, then many big giant companies tend 2 choose that show for giving advertisements during that time slot. These companies pay chans some huge amount for doing this. Hence, it becomes trp race eventually. But actually its race for money... Hence, sony is also obsessed with reality shows like kbc, super dancer, indian idol, etc.... Which brings more and more money for them in above mentioned manner... 

Yes TRP is just a criteria for deciding allocation of advertising. We need a better measurement system widening the criteria for recognizing popularity & number of meters. it has to be meaningful for advertisers eg online IPZN had massive popularity but couldn’t capitalize on it through lack of control & monitoring 

Alternatively sony could be part public funded for their quality fiction entertainment .. like that’s possible!