Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

JalebiJane thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Sisters,

There will be two episodes this Thursday, so keep an eye out for Episode 20 and 21 later today.

JalebiJane thumbnail

EPISODE 20: PRECAP*

“Tell me what you brought me here for,” she demanded.

Raghav glanced at his wrist-watch. “In two minutes. Once he brings the coffee. I don’t wish to be interrupted.”

Almost at the heel of his words, they were interrupted. 

Not by the arrival of cappuccinos but the arrival of Sulochana.

“Pallavi?” Sulochana approached, with Rahul’s mother, Asha Aunty, in tow. 

*I've decided to start posting episode precaps to generate some excitement. hehe 

Endless_sky thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 4

Just started following the show and came across this FF. Wonderful storytelling done by you. Love your writing, characterization, and plot. 

JalebiJane thumbnail

Originally posted by: Endless_sky

Just started following the show and came across this FF. Wonderful storytelling done by you. Love your writing, characterization, and plot. 

Thank you, Sister.

You have a lot of fun viewing and fun reading ahead of you :-)

Timesfly thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

waiting for your update ....

JalebiJane thumbnail

APRIL 22, 2021

EPISODE 20

Koffee Kahani was a space which might have been conjured up from a book lover’s fantasy. It was a combined café and bookshop with grand painted ceilings. The café was located on the mezzanine floor which gave a bird’s eye view of the bustling bookshop below. 

It was a mere three-minute walk from Deshmukh Saree Emporium. 

Pallavi was astonished that she had scootered past these arched doors daily for the past year and never once been curious what was within. I suppose that is a testament to what the state of Pallavi’s distracted mind had been since Mandhar’s disappearance. 

Nay! Wait, Sisters! 

We must be more precise in our language now. We must call things by their proper names. Mandhar’s disappearance was a misnomer. Should we call it Mandhar’s abscondment? Desertion? Defection? Or my favourite—decampment. For that word accurately describes what an army does once they have extracted all valuable resources from a territory. 

Mandhar had taken everything of value and marched on.

I suppose it should not have surprised Pallavi that at the sight of Raghav Rao, the staff speedily cleared away the best table on the mezzanine floor, and a young man led them to it. It surprised her even less that Raghav presumed to order for her. She ought to have objected on principle alone—but she couldn’t help but admire his command. 

As soon as they were seated, the young man said he would return with menus. But Raghav stopped him. They didn’t need menus. Three cappuccinos. Two served immediately. One in a take-away cup to be prepared not now but in thirty minutes. He withdrew a rather substantial note and tucked it into the young man’s shirt pocket. “Ikkada. This will take care of the bill—and keep the rest for yourself. For yourself. Not your manager. Ardham ayyinda?”

The young man gave a toothy smile and ran off. 

She must have given Raghav a look which prompted him to say, “The manager takes their tips while they do all the running around. It’s wrong.”

Pallavi said, “You order before you see the menu. You pay before you receive the product. You tip before you experience the service. I suppose you also put the cart before the horse?”

“I believe in efficiency,” Raghav replied, and leaning forward, added, “something you should learn—that is, unless it is your intention to destroy your business before the end of this quarter.”

Pallavi bristled at the truth of his words. “You worry about your business; I’ll worry about mine.”

“You are my business,” Raghav shot back. 

Pallavi was preparing a response to this statement when she recollected that she was not on a coffee date—she was here to learn what Krishna had meant when she said, ‘Mr Rao says he now owns our shop!’

“Tell me what Krishna meant,” she demanded.

Raghav glanced at his wrist-watch. “In four minutes. Once he brings the coffee. I don’t like to be interrupted once I begin something.”

“Pallavi?” Sulochana approached, with Rahul’s mother, Asha, in tow. 

Kaku’s voice was mellifluous. Not the snide tones heard all day long at Deshmukh Niwas. She was using her beauty queen voice—because her daughter’s future mother-in-law was present—and because of the presence of a gentlemen whose net worth she was now measuring with her eyes.

Pallavi came to her feet to greet Asha Aunty. And Raghav also rose to pay his respects to the ladies.

“You are Mr Rao of Jayati Jewellers, aren’t you?” Sulochana smiled. Without waiting for a reply, she turned to Asha and said, “What a coincidence! Weren’t we just now discussing wedding jewellery?” Then turning back to Raghav, she said, “Oh, forgive me! Let me introduce myself. I’m Sulochana Deshmukh—Pallavi’s aunty—and this is Mrs Asha Chetty—they are in the aluminum business—my daughter, Mansi, is betrothed to her son Rahul.”

Raghav greeted them. He said all the right things one says to aunties. But Pallavi’s mind was too disturbed to appreciate that he could rise to the occasion. 

She was wondering how she would explain at home what she was doing having coffee with Raghav Rao. For there were two things Pallavi was certain of: Sulochana would try to get a discount on Mansi’s wedding jewellery before this chance meeting ended—and when Sulochana reached home, she would paint a picture of how she discovered Pallavi and Raghav on an intimate date. 

Oh, Sulochana was too sophisticated to demand an explanation from Pallavi now. This was a case of: Wait till I see you at home!

The young man—their server—brought their order just then. Raghav made another fine display of manners and invited the ladies to join them. Sulochana looked about for an empty chair, but Asha declined for them both and said they had an appointment scheduled with a wedding planner.

With this you might think, Sisters, that alas Sulochana was not going to have her opportunity to ask for a jewellery discount—but then you would be grossly underestimating the woman.  

“Mr Rao,” she asked, with her award-winning pageant smile, “I’ve heard Jayati Jewellers hosts parties at the showroom for the best families of Hyderabad to enjoy an exclusive bridal shopping evening. Could I be so forward as to inveigle an invitation for my sweet Mansi?” 

“No,” Raghav said.

“Oh!” Sulochana gasped, never having been denied anything by a member of the male sex.

Raghav let that land and said, “No, Aunty. You are mistaken. These events are not held at our showrooms but at our workshop outside the city. People seem to enjoy meeting the designers and artisans. We also invite related vendors to set up pop-up shops.”

“How lovely!” Sulochana cried out, exchanging smiles with Asha.

He continued, “And we don’t distinguish between families. All brides are equal to Jayati Jewellers. I believe there is one planned for this weekend. Miss Deshmukh has my direct line—” he indicated Pallavi “—text me your guest list. I’ll forward it to our bridal division and they will have the invitations delivered. But time is of the essence.”

Sulochana promised, “I’ll have Mansi do it this very afternoon. There will not be very many on our list. Our small family and the Chettys, of course.”

Pallavi was pleased when the final goodbyes and thankyous were being spoken. As long as Sulochana remained, she somehow felt unsafe. 

The ladies bid them to enjoy their coffee and moved away—but then Sulochana turned back, catching Raghav as he was just folding back into his seat.

He straightened once again.

Sulochana said, “Excuse me, Mr Rao, I just feel I ought to say that there is only one Miss Deshmukh in our family. And that is my lovely daughter, Mansi. Pallavi should by right of marriage enjoy the same title as myself—Mrs Deshmukh—as she is the widow of my nephew, Mandhar Deshmukh. I am very particular about proper forms of address, you see.” 

Dropping this information, Sulochana gave another beaming smile—this one directly to Pallavi—waved her painted fingertips and departed.

Pallavi felt her face flush with colour. She felt as though she had been caught out in a secret. Though, of course, she had not consciously hid the reality of her status from anyone.

She felt Raghav’s eyes on her, as she focused on lifting her cup to her lips. 

And in those few seconds of sipping the coffee, she gathered herself. Why should she feel exposed? She was what she was. And then immediately, she realized Sulochana was entirely wrong. 

She was not Mandhar’s widow. She was not Mrs Deshmukh. Not even Miss Deshmukh. 

She was Pallavi Sawant.

If only she had had the liberty to tell Kaku that. But, of course, she could not. She had promised Aayi last night that the truth of Mandhar would remain between them until the time was right.

“So Deshmukh Saree Emporium is your husband’s family’s shop and you have been running it since your husband died?” Raghav asked.

She nodded. 

“How long have you been a widow?”

“Just over a year,” she replied. 

How despicable it was to be free of Mandhar now—yet still forced to speak lies.

He lifted his cup but did not drink from it. He seemed to be arranging his thoughts.

“Your husband must have been a young man when he died,” he stated. 

This was a statement. It required no reply. Yet, again she nodded. 

She hated this sensation. Why must she agree to be interrogated about Mandhar? Raghav was not a friend whom she owed answers to. 

Indeed, he was a hostile stranger. 

She was not a grieving widow and wouldn’t pretend to be.

“How did he die?” Raghav asked.

She returned her cup to the saucer with some energy so it clattered.

Meeting his eyes, she said flatly, “I poisoned him.”

There was a moment of nothing but silence, and then he took a sip from his cup. She could see his lips held a smile.

“If you need to go to the bathroom, I suggest you either finish your coffee or take your cup with you. Best not to risk leaving it unattended with me,” she added, turning her face away from him to look out over the mezzanine balcony to the bookshop below.

Edited by JalebiJane - 3 years ago
Timesfly thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Coffee Kahani--- my kid of hangout place..... a good cup of coffee and a great book to read... aahhhhh

Another amazing update... 

Sulochana Kaku .... SMH....how cunningly she revealed Pallavi's marital status..

and I fell off the chair reading:

She met his eyes and said flatly, “I poisoned him.”🤣😃 how cheeky this girl is....

hapc thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

So the widow reveal was early here, Sulochana kaku is another breed altogether. She met his eyes and said flatly, “I poisoned him.” Loved this. Feels like the first time Pallavi was so sharp with her reply. Looking forward to the next part today. Double update days are the best days.

hapc thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: JalebiJane

EPISODE 20: PRECAP*

“Tell me what you brought me here for,” she demanded.

Raghav glanced at his wrist-watch. “In two minutes. Once he brings the coffee. I don’t wish to be interrupted.”

“Pallavi?” Sulochana approached, with Rahul’s mother, Asha Aunty, in tow. 

*I've decided to start posting episode precaps to generate some excitement. hehe 

Yayyy precaps!! Thank you so much. I unfortunately read this one after the episode but now I can’t wait for the precap of episode 21. 

AnjuRish thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Sassy that pallu is ...the talk never really happened

I liked how Raghav said all brides are equal..

He seems to have the smartness to rise to the occasion ..a trait of a good business man