Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Meerkat thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: Ssanjinika

Thanks, GN! I know you don't have too many Hindi dialogues in your chapters. Actually, I notice you have them only when mami makes an appearance :)

Chapter 28 - Sheesh, she chose chocolate fudge instead of sevai kulfi?!! Damn!! No matter what, you don't give up on your kulfi, Kirti!!

Between Pride and Prejudice and North and South, how can one choose? One speaks of a glitzy, glamourous divide while the other showcases a downright gritty and stark one. The emotion in both is all too real though. 

I loved the banter between Prasanna and Bilap. They know that the divide is there and have acknowledged it and then moved past it. It was wonderful to see Bilap so in terms with his circumstances. It is a part of his life. He doesn't wear it like a shield nor is he prickly about it as his sister. Maybe going to a school where he did not stand out because of his social and economic background had a lot do with it. Kirti is definitely a prickly pear. 

Hi, I hope you and your son are doing well. The other day's response must have come across as really clipped. I was low on time. So now,

Your comment the other day resonated with me. Long back, I used to have lot of Hindi dialogues and then a friend pointed out that if I wanted to reach a wider audience, I'd have to cut it down. But sometimes, you think jokes in your mother tongue and then comes the dilemma of true translation. Fortunately, reading a lot has helped bridge that gap. So, when you pointed out, I was like did I start doing that all over again?๐Ÿ˜† Since, I don't spend that much time (read none at all) in editing, there are high chances of getting carried away while writing and the same text reaching the readers as well. Like the part where Nishit and Kirti have a discussion on class divide, Kirti comes home blabbers some big philosophy to her Dadi. I may pass it off as her being drained out/in a haze/ or just emotional voicing out her real emotions. When in reality, it's just lazy writing/ poor editing. ๐Ÿ˜† Could have said the same thing in much better way. Then I think, let's enjoy such digression from perfectionism from time to time. This is a story that write regularly, one for Nishit and Kirti don't leave my mind; second, luckily I have found some really good interactive readers. So, I think if I sit too long with a chapter, I will again revert to my doubting/deleting/writing again/trying too hard ways so let me just go with the flow and just enjoy telling the story. Long rant over. ๐Ÿ˜†

Now your comment, I agree with what you pointed out. He went to school and didn't have encounters that would dent his confidence. Also, Kirti has had setbacks in her life both educational and professional; She carries the weight of her family, the world all on her shoulders and judges herself harshly. That also translates into her outlook at life and people in general.

Meerkat thumbnail

Originally posted by: canapoem

When Kirti introduced Prasanna as Didi and Nishit as uncle to Sibin, Nishit mentions right that how come his sister is didi while he is uncle. 

I guess our need to box people into categories in so engraved in our desi genes. 

I had forgotten about this! Right, the desi culture!

Meerkat thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ssanjinika

Kirti and Bilap have a wonderful relationship. I love their interactions. 

The Manoj Bhaiyaa/uncle story was funny and just a tad sad. How easily we put people into a box? In our society especially. Arey, shaadi ho gayi or ek bacha ho gaya then it's aunty/uncle. Silver hair, then it's dada/dadi. 

I recently watched an old Korean movie where an eighteen-year-old gets married and immediately all the kids in her neighborhood start calling her 'ajjuma' which is like aunty rather than the 'unnie' or didi she was till the day before. It was portrayed to bring out the humor but it so resonated with me just as this chapter did. 

Lily/Lalan is an interesting character. I loved how you portrayed Bilap as the conservative guy with preconceived and somewhat rigid notions about 'God' given things and Kirti as the girl who was more open. 

I think I have watched this one. It was Little Bride or something.

p4peppa thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Arshi67

Paraphrasing Faiz, "Aur bhi raunaqein hai zamane mein mohabbat ke siva, Raahatein aur bhi hain vasl ki raahat ke siva" 

This reminds me of another phase of my childhood. My sister was very good in writing poetry ( kavitayein) . I  had/ have zilch interest in anything related to poetry. But I was a pucca copycat. So I started reading Ghalib and Faiz ( rajkamal prakashan). Wiould copy good urdu words and then make shayree out of rhyming them ๐Ÿ˜€. 

Coincidently, during Farmers' protest, I was reminded of Faiz sahab's ' darbare watan mai jab ik din'. 

Edited by p4peppa - 3 years ago
p4peppa thumbnail

'Men, they think they own us or something'. But that is true. Right to own your body : choose a piercing, cut your hair short, go bald. Can we do that? If women start owning their body and their self, not only India, patriarchy anywhere won't have a space to hide. But let's get back to reality...... If husband/ partner does the dishes or takes care of kids.... We should be thankful to them for sharing our work. And if they allow us to cut our hair, that means they are quite modern.

Meerkat thumbnail

Originally posted by: p4peppa

This reminds me of another phase of my childhood. My sister was very good in writing poetry ( kavitayein) . I  had/ have zilch interest in anything related to poetry. But I was a pucca copycat. So I started reading Ghalib and Faiz ( rajkamal prakashan). Will copy good urdu words and then make shayree out of rhyming them ๐Ÿ˜€. 

Coincidently, during Farmers' protest, I was reminded of Faiz' sahab's ' darbare watan mai jab ik din'. 

You were so cute! I had a phase of writing kavitayein too. But, it was all very silly, made to rhyme forcefully. I thought I was bad but then I read my sibling's O thou wind, thou give us electricity, O thou water, thou give us hydroelectricity... I sighed in relief. The worst poetry should go to him surely. ๐Ÿ˜†

So the banks were on a strike for teh last four days protesting privatization. Obviously not covered by the mainstream godi media.

The same people out on streets who in the safety of their walls must have doubted the nationality of those who were/are out on streets before them.

Someone aptly quoted Rahat Indori ji , 'Lagegi aag toh aayenge ghar kayi zad mein, yahan pe sirf hamara makan thodi hai...'

Meerkat thumbnail

'Men, they think they own us or something'. But that is true. Right to own your body : choose a piercing, cut your hair short, go bald. Can we do that? If women start owning their body and their self, not only India, patriarchy anywhere won't have a space to hide. But let's get back to reality...... If husband/ partner does the dishes or takes care of kids.... We should be thankful to them for sharing our work. And if they allow us to cut our hair, that means they are quite modern.

What a coincidence! Was reading something along these lines. Men need to be dictated/ reminded like child their responsibilities. Do the dishes, your turn. You did the dishes, oh thank you so much. You're such a darling!

kizh72 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

You forgot ripped jeans๐Ÿ˜† we were after all ruled by the Amreekans for 200 years

One doesnโ€™t know whether to laugh or bang your head on the nearest wall

p4peppa thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ginnosuke_Nohar

So the banks were on a strike for teh last four days protesting privatization. Obviously not covered by the mainstream godi media.

The same people out on streets who in the safety of their walls must have doubted the nationality of those who were/are out on streets before them.

We are living in very very scary times. Regimes before this were also cruel and tyrannical, but the support of blindfold public for this govt. is what scares me. Hitler came to power by playing the economic superiority of jews in depression era. We all know what feeds present govt.. This isn't even about muslims anymore. Punjabis became khalistanis, In Haryana it was jaats vs 35 biradri in 2015... Disha Ravi..... Being called out  Christian, as if being a protesting Christian makes you automatically anti national.  Students became tukde tukde gang... 

And this tactics is an electoral winner. 

p4peppa thumbnail

Originally posted by: kizh72

You forgot ripped jeans๐Ÿ˜† we were after all ruled by the Amreekans for 200 years

One doesnโ€™t know whether to laugh or bang your head on the nearest wall

Such pearls and gems are strewn throughout our sanskaari politicial spectrum. All the sanskaars are for women only, men have a duty to leer, molest and debase women's dignity.....