Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Taify thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Also, I do not thikn Kajol was offered kal ho na ho.... karan only discussed the movie with her.

Blood_Sacrifice thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Rhimjhimsawan

It really blows my mind. In HDDCS Aish's beauty plays such an integral role. SLB's heroines are all about looks (minus Black). No amount of make up would've made kajol look like what his heroines looked like. I have a hard time believing Kajol was meant to play any of those roles. Maybe KANK. But even then Abhi and Kajol would've been a weird combo. Or was she meant for PZ's role?

Neither Nandini nor Parvati was meant to be beautiful. Parvati was the servant's daughter, someone from the extremely low socioeconomic background. If Paro was described as beautiful, it was because Devdas found her beautiful. Nothing in the book says she was beautiful.

Same for Nandini. Wasn't Nandini a middle class girl ?? Ash looked like a super-model in a middle-class get-up.

Beauty is a central part of SLB's movies ... but if he can make Ajay Devgan work (who is not even half as good looking as Kajol), why not Kajol?

Whenever a role is done by someone, audiences always think "Only he/she could have done that role." Had Kajol played them, who knows what our impression would be?

I don't like Kajol's overacting now. But she was pretty decent in the 90s, and with a director like SLB I think she might have done good ...

Blood_Sacrifice thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Fallen-Embers

Wikipedia tells me that the role of the lawyer was offered to Aishwarya, and not Zaara's. That was offered to Kajol. Besides that, Rani was always the first choice for Chalte Chalte. When she refused, it went to Aishwarya. After the drama, Rani agreed to do it. I think Rani was the best choice for CC as it needed a girl with a friendly vibe, which I don't think Aishwarya is good at.

I have a hard time believing Rani would pass up a role with SRK when she was still a struggling actress. That said, I agree Ash would have ruined CC -- Ash is only good in highly serious roles where beauty plays a big part. Her emoting was not as good back then, and CC had a lot of comedy scenes in the beginning that she would have ruined.

Fallen-Embers thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Blood_Sacrifice

I have a hard time believing Rani would pass up a role with SRK when she was still a struggling actress. That said, I agree Ash would have ruined CC -- Ash is only good in highly serious roles where beauty plays a big part. Her emoting was not as good back then, and CC had a lot of comedy scenes in the beginning that she would have ruined.

Both, SRK and Rani, have said that she was offered this role first but she didn't do it coz of date issues. Maybe that was sorted out later on. Or is it revisionism on their part? I do not know. 

I agree, Aishwarya is only good in serious roles. IDK whether beauty has to be an integral part of it or not, coz in my humble opinion, her best acting till date was in Raincoat. She didn't look exceptionally beautiful in that or anything. She looked like a regular woman. 

Maraka_Musso89 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

It really blows my mind. In HDDCS Aish's beauty plays such an integral role. SLB's heroines are all about looks (minus Black). No amount of make up would've made kajol look like what his heroines looked like. I have a hard time believing Kajol was meant to play any of those roles. Maybe KANK. But even then Abhi and Kajol would've been a weird combo. Or was she meant for PZ's role?

Everyone wanted to bank on the SRK/Kajol jodi. No one would have taken Kajol In a movie and not made her the lead. Especially if it could have made her return to films.

And Kajol is a beauty imo

Edited by Maraka_Musso89 - 3 years ago

Originally posted by: FilmiDhun

Thank god for no Ash and Bebo in Veer Zaara.😆

Ash no doubt would have looked beautiful as Zara but that's the thing. Her beauty would have overshadowed other possible reasons for Veer's love for her and made the entire thing about oh how beautiful she is . Also Preity has a much more soothing voice in comparison to Ash and I like how she brought a certain gravitas to Zara's role. Ash would have made everything cringey.

And Rani was excellent as lawyer Samiya Siddiqui. She nailed the emotional scenes without going overboard. If people are interested in seeing Kareena as a lawyer, go watch Aitraaz. 😆

Bold: That was the only reason for Veer's love anyway. He hardly knew her for a day. He even had a dialogue, "Itni khoobsurat ladki maine aaj tak nahin dekha".

Rhimjhimsawan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Blood_Sacrifice

Neither Nandini nor Parvati was meant to be beautiful. Parvati was the servant's daughter, someone from the extremely low socioeconomic background. If Paro was described as beautiful, it was because Devdas found her beautiful. Nothing in the book says she was beautiful.

Same for Nandini. Wasn't Nandini a middle class girl ?? Ash looked like a super-model in a middle-class get-up.

Beauty is a central part of SLB's movies ... but if he can make Ajay Devgan work (who is not even half as good looking as Kajol), why not Kajol?

Whenever a role is done by someone, audiences always think "Only he/she could have done that role." Had Kajol played them, who knows what our impression would be?

I don't like Kajol's overacting now. But she was pretty decent in the 90s, and with a director like SLB I think she might have done good ...

It is never touched upon whether Ajay's character is supposed to be good looking so not the same thing at all. In SLB's devdas, Paro takes a lot of pride in her beauty, in fact she is even arrogant because of it. It's touched upon more than once so it is central to who SLB's Paro is. I can't imagine the character being "written with Kajol in mind" while beauty is so important to that character sketch. There is even a line where Paro says she is more beautiful than the moon because even moon has a scar and she doesn't. 

I don't know if Nandini is meant to be beautiful or not I just know Ajay saw her once and was immediately smitten by her. Not saying Kajol hasn't done roles where heroes weren't immediately smitten by her beauty. But to me she is no where near SLB's other ladies when it comes to looks. So for a man who chooses very beautiful girls and works so hard to make them look perfect, I have a hard time imagining it was Kajol he wanted. Especially when this man is openly known for having pretty muses.

Your news can be right. Maybe he did want Kajol. I must've missed the interview where he discussed it. All I know is when Kajol was asked if she would like to be a SLB heroine she said "Yeah. Sure. No two ways about it but I don’t know if I will have the right presence of mind or perfection of posture to be a Sanjay Leela Bhansali heroine." She chose her words wisely. I feel like she is just trying to say she simply doesn't look like a SLB heroine.  

Edited by Rhimjhimsawan - 3 years ago
blUeNoSed thumbnail

Why are there suddenly so many topics about Veer Zaara and Ash? It's not like it was a great movie, not a great, super meaty role. Atleast not for Aishwarya or anything she hadnt done before. 

Maroonporsche thumbnail

It is never touched upon whether Ajay's character is supposed to be good looking so not the same thing at all. In SLB's devdas, Paro takes a lot of pride in her beauty, in fact she is even arrogant because of it. It's touched upon more than once so it is central to who SLB's Paro is. I can't imagine the character being "written with Kajol in mind" while beauty is so important to that character sketch. There is even a line where Paro says she is more beautiful than the moon because even moon has a scar and she doesn't. 

I don't know if Nandini is meant to be beautiful or not I just know Ajay saw her once and was immediately smitten by her. Not saying Kajol hasn't done roles where heroes were immediately smitten by her beauty. But to me she is no where SLB's other ladies when it comes to looks. So for a man who chooses beautiful girls and works so hard to make them look perfect, I have a hard time imagining it was Kajol he wanted. Especially when this man is openly known for having pretty muses.

Your news can be right. Maybe he did want Kajol. I must've missed the interview where he discussed it. All I know is when Kajol was asked if she would like to be a SLB heroine she said "Yeah. Sure. No two ways about it but I don’t know if I will have the right presence of mind or perfection of posture to be a Sanjay Leela Bhansali heroine." She chose her words wisely. I feel like she is just trying to say she simply doesn't look like a SLB heroine.  

Kajol in one of SLBs movies would be weird no ?😆

Just_Say_Cheese thumbnail

I have watched this movie only for first 10 minutes and last 10 minutes (veer zara) ...I want to watch but I haven't I don't know why ..someday.

Edited by Ajeeb-ladki - 3 years ago