Users

Frequent Posters

Surya.Ravi thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Waiting for the next update eagerly..

Sohali19 thumbnail
Engager 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail + 2

Hi, guys. I’m sorry for missing an update yesterday. But as an apology, I’m updating a long one today. I’m sorry for not addressing your messages individually. I just want to post this in a hurry. But I PROMISE I have read and loved each and every one of them. Someone asked me what I’m watching on Netflix. Let’s see: Secret City, Money Heist and re-watching Brooklyn 99.

Note: For all those who may be unaware. SEBI stands for the Securities and Exchange Board of India which is the regulator for capital markets and securities in India. It has powers to conduct investigations, inspections and order penalties.

PART XII

The ride on the way back was spent in tensed silence but Prerna could feel the fury radiating from his body. She had tried to explain Rishabh Bajaj’s presence, but it had fallen on deaf ears. It hadn’t helped matters that Mr. Bajaj had seemed vastly amused at Anurag’s wrath, like a tiger watching a cub charge and fuss. “Take the lovers spat inside, yeah? It’s not the safest area at this time.” He’d drawled before ambling away. His taunting indifference had enraged Anurag further and he hadn’t wanted to hear any explanations. When she got home, Shivani dragged her in before she could put her bag down and animatedly told her that Nivedita Basu had received a notice from SEBI and was being investigated for securities fraud. It was on the late evening’s local news.

Prerna tried to absorb this new development as she made her way upstairs. An investigation. Another hurdle for the Basu family. That’s why Anurag had been so troubled and irritable. Her heart pounding, she wondered if the deal-maker could help this time.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

In his lair, the King eyed the developments on the large screen in silence. He flicked through his contacts and called his secretary. “Make the announcement of the acquisition public tomorrow at 9.30.am. The foyer outside the front entrance is to be partially opened to the media. Send an email to the SEBI chairman, requesting a meeting in Mumbai tomorrow evening. Don’t take no for an answer."

He fingered the rim of the glass in front of him. Water this time. He’d heard tell that it was healthier.

All the chips were falling in place.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

At 9.30 pm in the morning, Prerna tried to push past the flurry of reporters who were thronging the entrance. They were all clamoring for some big announcement. “Another business bites the dust." She thought wryly, struggling to find purchase.  It felt like near magic when Mr. Dubey reached for her through the crowd and guided her toward the front entrance. Like he had been waiting for her to appear.

“Sorry about this, Ma’am. There’s a press release and so no one is being allowed through the front entrance until after. But we’ll just have to make an exception for you, won’t we?” He said kindly.

Prerna sent him a grateful smile and ignored the furious clicking of the cameras. The spokesperson had just stepped out to deliver the happy news and she hurried past him, following Mr. Dubey inside.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Ms. Sharma, I can’t say I’m surprised to see you here today. Let me guess, you need to save your milquetoast sister-in-law from the clutches of the evil SEBI or your prince charming will die of untold grief. Have I got the gist of it?” Mr. Bajaj said insolently, reclining in his tall leather chair, wearing his three-piece conservative brown suit like second skin.

“Did you have something to do with this? The investigation?” She accused.

He laughed a full laugh at that, head tilted back.

“You give me too much credit, Ms, Sharma. I’m not nearly that clever. SEBI must have received a tip from an investor.”

Prerna slumped into the couch, tossing her bag aside, feeling overwhelmed and annoyed.

“Can you help? Nivedita's received summons, everyone at home is worried, Ma is unwell, Anurag is barely speaking to me, I’m on my period...” Prerna trailed off, embarrassed at having blurted out all the things going on in her head without a filter.

“And which of those things to do you need me to fix for you?” He asked, his eyes dancing with mirth.

“Uh. Just the investigation. Can you have it stopped? Nivedita is distraught…God, the hits just keep on coming.” She grumbled, cursing her PMS.

“Have you stopped to consider that the investigation may be warranted? That your future in-laws are not as saintly as they seem to you?”

“What do you mean? Nivi is innocent!” Prerna bristled at his insinuation.

“Hmm.” He hummed, unconvinced. “I’ll see what I can find out. No promises, though. This is a SEBI investigation. Meanwhile I require something of you as well.” He said, tapping away at his phone.

“Naturally. What is it this time?”

“Do you play chess, Ms. Sharma?”

“Just about.” She shrugged. It had been a while since she had played but on good days, she could hold her own.

“I’m quite fond of good conversations and good games. Join me?" He directed her to the far end of his cabin, the curving room widened to an alcove which had two seats around a chess board placed against large floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the main entrance of the high rise.

Prerna took her seat, chewing over his odd bargains. Food? Home Tour? Chess? What went on in that head of his, she wondered. 

“Have you always had a liking for music?” Mr. Bajaj asked, indicating for her to begin with her white pawn.  

“Huh-uh. Dance too. I was trained in kathak. My father was very fond of the performing arts. We used to spend hours listening to live versions of Ghulam Ali’s ghazals."

“And your sister?”  He inquired offhandedly, moving his black soldier forward.

“Not really, she’s never had the patience  to sit still and learn something. I used to spent hours at a time trying to teach her a raag or even the alphabet.” She laughed at the memory.

“It’s always the younger ones. Do you enjoy reading?” He pressed, watching her closely. She was about to tell him to shut up with the twenty questions and let her concentrate on the game when the door to the cabin swung open and an attendant stepped through.

“Sir, the hot water bag and tea.”  

“Ah, yes. Leave them here, Raveesh. Send those couriers out and book an aisle seat for me for the evening flight. Thank you, that'll be all.” Mr. Bajaj waited for the attendant to leave before handing her the hot compress.

“For your cramps.” He said, pouring the tea, sounding not even slightly uncomfortable addressing an issue most men avoided like the plague. 

Prerna stared at him in sheer amazement, taking both the items gratefully.

“Thank you so much.  This is so kind of you. I don’t know what to say-”

“Say you’ll answer the question.” He said, dismissing her appreciation.

“I do read a bit. Mostly fiction. It’s nice to escape into a fantasy story and forget your problems for a while.”

“Good.” He said, his knight making a foray into the battlefield. “What about after college? Want to leave this old, tired city?

“Nope.” Prerna looked up from the chessboard immediately. “Never. I love Calcutta. Couldn’t see myself living anywhere else. I’d like to travel and see the world, certainly. But this is home.”

She thought she caught a glimmer of triumph in his eyes at her words.

“So what do you do when you’re not making deals?” She asked Mr. Bajaj, wanting to even the scales. 

“Besides ruining the love lives of unsuspecting young women?” He jested, deftly knocking out her bishop.

“Besides that,” Prerna said, smiling in spite of herself.

“It’s your turn, Ms. Sharma.”

“You haven’t answered my question. I can keep a secret.” She wanted something from him. A slice of whatever lay underneath the tailored mask. A corner piece of a puzzle.

“I like my privacy. It has nothing to do with you.” He said matter-of-factly.

“Right.” God forbid the King actually get a reputation for being open and honest. 

Prerna realized he was going for her other knight and blocked him. “Let’s start with something easy. What kind of movies do you like?” She tried again.

Mr. Bajaj looked up and watched her for several seconds, as if assessing something. Returning back that stare, Prerna felt a familiar nervous flutter in a stomach. Like she’d walked into a fine-spun web.

“Animated movies. I like those a lot. Wall-E, Toy Story, Zootopia, you name it."

“Nooo! Ha! You don’t look like someone who would sit through Finding Nemo.” Prerna snorted in disbelief.

“And you don’t look like the kind of girl that makes deals with bad men. So, what your point?”

He had her there.

“Which one is your favorite?” She dug further.

He levelled her with an annoyed look, then leaned back and gave her his full attention. Having this man’s full attention was like catching a jaguar’s eye, Prerna thought. All you wanted to do was pet the creature, but as soon as it turns its gaze on you, you realize it’s going to for your throat.

“Tell me, Ms. Sharma, why the sudden curiosity? You interested?  he asked, his mouth curving upwards, voice soft like velvet.

“What? No, I—” Prerna began, feeling flustered.

“Do you know which piece is the most powerful on the chessboard, Ms. Sharma?” Mr. Bajaj abruptly veering  the conversation.

“The queen.” she said, wondering what that had to do with anything.

“Yeah. The queen. But that wasn’t always the case.  When the Arabs brought chess to Spain in the 8th century, the queen was a weak figure, able to move only one step at a time.  It was in 1475, when Isabella was crowned Queen of Castile, that the chess piece earned its relevance. It was under her, the present rules of chess were established, in which the Queen moves in all directions on the board. Queen Isabella was at the time the most powerful woman in all of Europe and along with her husband, they ruled as equals over Spain.”

“She sounds like quite the woman.” Prerna said, taking out his bishop. “Your turn.”

"Indeed it is." Mr. Bajaj sat back, a knowing smile playing on his lips, his dimples peeking out at her. “ "But, I’m afraid, I’m going to have end our match midway. I have a few things to finish before my flight." He stood up, buttoning his jacket, looking out the window, at the front entrance. “I trust you know your way out by now?”

She nodded, feeling slightly put out.

“Until next time, Ms. Sharma.”

His words feeling almost like a promise.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cheers,

Sohaa

P.s: be sure to let me know if you liked this piece of the story. 

Edited by Sohali19 - 4 years ago
Sohali19 thumbnail
Engager 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail + 2

INDEX CONTINUED

Apparently I'm not allowed to post hyperlinks. That's just strange. Anyway, 

Chapter 11: page 13

Chapter 12: Page 16

Chapter 13: Page 19

Edited by Sohali19 - 4 years ago
WaqtZaya thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Most Comments (August 2021) 1 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: Sohali19

INDEX CONTINUED

Apparently I'm not allowed to post hyperlinks. That's just strange. Anyway, 

Chapter 11: page 13

Chapter 12: Page 16

because you are a newbie that's why darling. 

Update all the updates on the first page too ❤️ btw res 

PenguinBaby thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Ok let me start by first saying

Looks like your Prerna is obsessed with making deals with Mr Bajaj as the show's Prerna is obsessed with getting married LOL 

Also, what does she think of Bajaj😡jab dekho tab Chali aati hai deal karne hmph

Unnecessary frustration aside, I loved this too much!

How is Prerna feeling about Anurag now? Is she still in love with him? Feels like she thinks she's in love with him but she's quite not.

Bajaj's statement about Basus not being so saintly after all! On point. Seriously, Prerna needs to think practically for a minute. At least spread out the odds but no! Love is indeed blind. 

And she blurts out that she's chumming lolol and he gets a hot water bag for her ❤️ I want a man like that😭

I loved the kinda casual conversation they were having, Prerna was clearly in a comfortable zone around him! And they play chess and I learned new facts about the game😎 I feel so much smarter now! 

PS. Does your Bajaj have Sneha that's why he likes animation movies or he just likes them in general!

Awesome 👍♥️

Appudappu thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Finally..... I was waiting for long time.... 

Bajaj is a great listener.. She just told him that she is on her periods.. He brought her ice tea and hot water bag.... So thoughtful of him.. 

I thought there is big show down between Pre and Anu.. Nothing like that happend... Silence before the storm... 

Is there is Sneha in your story.. Bajaj's daughter???? 

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Finally! I swear it's too good for words. ⭐️

The conversation was so interesting and for once I really liked Prerna hitting back with personal questions despite Rishabh's love for privacy. 

Please update the next part soon. 😳

WaqtZaya thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Most Comments (August 2021) 1 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: SanyaEterna

Ok let me start by first saying

Looks like your Prerna is obsessed with making deals with Mr Bajaj as the show's Prerna is obsessed with getting married LOL 

Also, what does she think of Bajaj😡jab dekho tab Chali aati hai deal karne hmph

Unnecessary frustration aside, I loved this too much!

How is Prerna feeling about Anurag now? Is she still in love with him? Feels like she thinks she's in love with him but she's quite not.

Bajaj's statement about Basus not being so saintly after all! On point. Seriously, Prerna needs to think practically for a minute. At least spread out the odds but no! Love is indeed blind. 

And she blurts out that she's chumming lolol and he gets a hot water bag for her ❤️ I want a man like that😭

I loved the kinda casual conversation they were having, Prerna was clearly in a comfortable zone around him! And they play chess and I learned new facts about the game😎 I feel so much smarter now! 

PS. Does your Bajaj have Sneha that's why he likes animation movies or he just likes them in general!

Awesome 👍♥️

i dont have to say anything Sanu Mumma said it all. I will just leave this gif here 

arshi_asya thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

I repeat my words- this is fascinating. 

I can't get enough of this. I want it to be a novel that I can read in one go. Waiting for stories like this hurts, like really hurts. 

I want more and more and more. This is not enough for my huge appetite.

Until next time, take your time, enjoy & please continue to bless us with your wonderful narration. 

Links updated. Just copy-paste to first page. 

Chapter-11 https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/150865747?tid=5104298

Chapter-12 https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/150883892?tid=5104298

Edited by arshi_asya - 4 years ago
lovefk thumbnail

Umm basically so I was trying to articulate what I want to say to you but I can't be fancy, i'll be as basic as it can be YOUR WRITING IS BRILLIANT. One update at a time is just not enough! That bit about her period, PMS and the hot water bottle I'm ready to melt. I'm so intrigued by this naive Prerna though, little red riding hood just doesn't realise how much of a big bad wolf he really is! I can't wait for the reveal moment of his master plan, it'll be a treat to read as always. PLIISSSS UPDATE SOOOOOOON!!!!