Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Meself thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 6 years ago
Two quick questions.
1.) The Rajputs initially rejected every influence of Mughals or those of different faith. For instance playing of Sitar was forbidden among the womem of Rajputana as according to them it was an unholy offspring of Persian Sitar and Hindu Veena. So when exactly did the shift in their approach began taking place? Was it during the times of Mughals or before what. And the political reason behind it. Land grants and warfare tools was anyway gifted to Rajput kings by Mughals. So how did they benefit in their association?

2.) The title of Chatrapati. Now if I am not wrong the this title was awarded to the ruler who had all major Satrapy or Chatrap under him. The Maratha Emperor's didn't have that per say. Even Shivaji Maharaj did not command all Satrapies. So was this title an anomaly or had a significance. And if it did how did it help the Maratha cause of Swarajya?

Edited: 

Who is Annapurna Bai? I have come across this name a lot many times while browsing through Marathi history.
Edited by Meself - 6 years ago
history_geek thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
This post is about

1. Tauhid (Din) i Illahi of Akbar
2. Pranamis and Mastani
3. Antiquity of Vaishnavism in Rajasthan / Krishna Worship
4. How and when did Rajputs got influenced by an alien culture.
5. Coronation of Shivaji - His title Chhatrapati.
6. Annapurana Bai, Rakma Bai
7. Triambak Rao Pethe, Hyder Ali, Peshwa Madhav Rao

Originally posted by: Meself

^^Yes went through the missed posts speedily. Though I have to re-read them in details. :)

The after leap episodes were amazing. Initially there was hitch on Karan's part but now he seems to be at ease. I found him initiating Ranveer in certain scenes but that done and dealt with. The major fact that works in his favour is his resemblance to Rudra. The casting is perfect when it comes to both Bajirao and Kashibai but unfortunately the characterisation is poor to a point it feels pathetic.

I have no issues with Kashi Bai as of now. The grown up Kashi's characterization is such a relief when compared to her younger counterpart. Contrast - First Kashi (Deepali Borkar) with this grown up Kashi. Lol.

Just see her (Kashi's) expressions. This is how a person behaves - so much pain and love was in her eyes when she saw Bajirao. This is how a 20 something young lover would be on getting a glimpse of her love. She's turning out to be the best character post leap.

The soft aspect of Bajirao in front of Kashibai is missing so much. They are unfortunately following the movie that had painted Kashibai as the abused and abandoned wife. Why again? 

I have hope. This should slowly improve. Else the audience is NOT going to like this Baji. Today's episode was a relief.

While I liked the warrior Bajirao, the man behind is lacking so much. I hope, I desperately hope that they rectify this ASAP. Next up, Mastani. I have to admit I dislike her truly. Meghna is a horrible choice and the way this character is, I don't think I will be able to like her. Why you do this Indian TV? Why I can't I enjoy a historical the way it is supposed to be.

I am willing to wait and see. The only thing which i do not want to see is "Bajirao Mastani" here, that too, so early.

Okay that was some amazing information Abhay. Its a bit baffling to know the religion that was so popularised during Akbar's time was actually a practice that too going by the name of Tauhid-e-Illahi. So it was more of a matter of faith than practice. 

Contacts with leaders of various religions, reading of their learned works, meetings with the Sufi saints and yogis gradually convinced Akbar that while there were differences of sect and creed, all religions had a number of good points which were obscured in the heat of controversy. He felt that if the good points of all religions were emphasized, an atmosphere of harmony and 'amity would prevail which would be for the good of the country.

Further, he felt that behind all the multiplicity of names and forms, there was but one God. As Badayuni observed, as a result of all the influences which were brought to bear on his Majesty, "there grew gradually as the outline of a stone, the conviction in his heart that there were some sensible men in all re1igions. If some true knowledge was thus everywhere to be found, why should truth be confined to one religion?"

Badayuni asserts that as a result of this, Akbar gradually turned away from Islam* and set up a new religion which was compounded of many existing religions - Hinduism, Christianity, Zoroastrianism, etc. {* - Badayuni has written a famous line - "Not a trace of Islam was left in him." ]

However, there is little evidence to prove that Akbar intended or actually promulgated a new religion. The word used by Abu'l Fazl and Badayuni for the so-called new path was tauhid-i-illahi which literally means "Divine Monotheism". The word Din or faith was not applied to it till 80 years later. The tauhld i-illahi was really an order of the Sufistic type. Those who were willing to join and those whom the Emperor approved were allowed to become members. Sunday was fixed as the day for initiation. The novice placed his head at the feet of the Emperor who raised him up, and gave hlm the formula, called shast in the Sufi language, which he was to repeat and concentrate upon. It is like a "Guru Mantra" which is recited by people who take some diksha / initiation from a Guru. 

This shast or guru mantra contained Akbar's favorite motto "Allah-o-Akbar" or God is great. The initiates were required to abstain from meat as far as possible and observe vegetarianism, at least in the month of their birth, give a sumptuous feast and alms on their birthday. There were no sacred books or scriptures, no priestly class, no place of worship or rituals and ceremonies, except the initiation.

Badayuni says that the members had four grades of devotion - Sacrifice of property, life, honour and religion. These, again, were like the grades a Sufi passed. Giving up religion, apparently meant giving up attachment to the narrow concepts and observances which, again, was in keeping with Sufi Ideas. Akbar did not use force nor was money used for making disciples. In fact, many leading nobles including all the great Hindu nobles except Birbal, declined to join. You know that Raja Man Singh and Bhagwan Das refused to join.

However, the 4 grades should not be confused with Tauhid-i-Illahi. Under the latter, large number of people joined as disciples or murids of the Emperor. In enrolling murids, Akbar apparently also had some political purpose too. He wanted a band of nobles who would be personally loyal to him and support him in his concept of sulh-i-kul , i.e., equal toleration of and respect to all sections irrespective of their religious beliefs. Orthodox elements like Badayuni never sympathized with nor supported such a state. 

In any case, such an order was not expected to play an important political role, as by the time the order was instituted, Akbar had consolidated his internal position, and such an artificial prop was hardly necessary. What, then, were Akbar's motives? Historians have different views in the matter, which are not fit to be discussed here.

Badayuni ascribed such a move to Akbar's head being turned by many unworthy flatterers and panegyrists who suggested to him that he was the insan-i-kamil or the "Perfect Man" of the age. It was at their instance that Akbar initiated the ceremony of pabos or kissing the floor before the sovereign, a ceremony which was previously reserved for God. {Before this, Alaudin Khilji had introduced this practice as far as i remember, but Alaudin's paibos meant kissing feet of the King, not the kissing of floor.}

There were many precedents of rulers combining temporal and spiritual powers in their person and Abul Fazl says that it was natural for people to turn to their ruler for spiritual guidance and that Akbar was well qualified to lead the people to spiritual bliss and to establish harmony among warring creeds.

Whatever may have been Akbar's motives, the tauhid-i-il1ahi virtually died with him. The practice of giving a shast to the initiates was continued for some time by Jahangir also. But soon it was discontinued. However, the habit of looking upon the king as someone having miraculous powers, so that people could be cured by the king's touch, or by his breathing upon a pot of water, continued, and even a strict ruler such as Aurangzeb could not shake off this belief.

Prannath or as he is referred to, Swami Prannath was the one who introduced Mastani into the Pranamis sect. Had no idea he is almost the man behind it. From what I had read, two festivals were of utmost importance to Pranamis, Eid and Janmashtami. Liquor, non-vegetarian and  every other intoxication was prohibited under Pranamis sect. Much like the Bhagwats of Vaishnav sect.  Thank you for sharing this here Abhay

Eid and Janmashtami being celebrated is perfectly fine, as Prannath drew his views from both the associated religions. Infact, Sri Krishna was central to his philosophy. And he was claimed to be his incarnation and Chhatral worshipped him as such. And for the Muslims he was the the last Imam Mahdi.

Putli Bai - mother of Mahatama Gandhi was a follower of the Pranami sect. As per MK Gandhi - "Pranami is a sect deriving the best of both the Quran and Gita, in search of one goal - God."

BTW, there is an interesting allegation on Mastani, that she was the one responsible for the vices of Bajirao, including drinking and adopting non vegetarian habits. Though, these are the things forbidden for Pranamis, the sect to which she belonged.

I would also add that the Pranami sect was looked down upon by the orthodox Brahmin community. They were almost considered outcasts. Some of them looked Pranammis as no different from the followers of Islam. There is an interesting reason which is given for Rana Raj Singh's refusal to entertain Prannath in his court. It is reported that just before Prannath sought a meeting with Rana Raj Singh, just before that Aurangzeb had sent a proposal to the Rana to embrace Islam. Rana Raj refused that and this was followed by Prannath's proposal. By rejecting the proposal of Prannath, Rana was demonstrating that he held his own faith (Hindu) in high regard and would not accept Islam and neither any other innovation in it (Prannamis). This was a method to safeguard one's faith in those turbulent times, like sending a message that i will accept nothing other than what i is my present religion. The fierce orthodoxy shown by the Brahmins for Prannamis can be understood to some extent using this example.

P.S. A question that I had been wanting to ask. The Rajputana had Karshini womenfolk, the ones who worshipped Krishna. While I agree that Vaishnav sect found a strong momentum during Mughal period how did the Karshini wing spread to later Rajputs? Especially when most of them were Shaiv? It's almost fantastic that every Rajput women was a devout Karshini. How?

This is interesting. Because, even i don't know about Karshini women. May be i don't know about them, by their name. But i will answer this question, keeping in mind that Karshini women, as per your post means those who worship Krishna. But, do tell me more about this term.

It was Brahma worship which was in vogue in Rajasthan in the early medieval times, 10th to 12th century AD. We have temples dedicated to Brahma at Pushkar, Sirohi and Banswara. As late as 15th century we have evidence of Brahma worship. After that it merged with Shiv and Vishnu, giving rise to the Tripurusha conception. Sun worship was prevalent too. Especially for those Rajput clans who called themselves Survanshi (Solar clan ), like the Guhilots of Mewar. 

Coming to Vaishnavism. It is as old as 2nd century BCE in Rajasthan. There is an inscription (called Ghosundi inscription ; kept at ARRM, Ajmer) dating to 2nd century BCE, recording the worship of Sankarshana-Balarama and Vasudev . The sculptured pillar at Mandor (Marwar) dating to 4th century AD records the scenes of Krishna lifting Goverdhan mountain and the Kaliya Naag, more such Krishna Lila scenes. We have found Terracota of baked bricks dating to Gupta period in Rajasthan recording scenes from Krishna Lila. Plethora of such antiquities are present in Bikaner and Jodhpur Museums. Huge statutues of Balrama and Revathi were discovered by Sir Cunnigham at Bharatapur, dating to Gupta period. Udaipur inscription of AD 661 records construction of a temple dedicated to Vishnu, by Queen Yashomati, the wife of Aparajit ; invoking protection by God Hari, Vishnu.

An interesting inscription from Mandor (Marwar), dating to early Pratihara period (7th century AD) was found. It contains references to Krishna playing to Radha ji and Gopis at Gokul. The line runs : "Gopi Girau Gokule sutva Radhika". Another inscription from this same place invokes Vasudeva : "Om Namo Bhagwate Vasudevaye". These are kept at Sardar Museum, Jodhpur.

Another inscription dating to almost the same period contains references to Vishnu. Infact, it contains various forms and names of Vishnu including the word Ghanshyam (referring to Krishna). Ancient Koteswar Temple contains bas reliefs depicting scenes from the Goshti Lila of Sri Krishna. In late 19th century, a sculpture of Balram with plough in hand along with his wife Revathi was unearthed from Bharatpur by Sir Cunnihgam of ASI. 

The early medieval temples at Osiyan, Kekinda, Kiradu, and Sadri (all are near the main Jodhpur town) preserve several anecdotes of Sri Krishna's life, carved in stone and adjusted in niches, or domical ceiling and panels of the outer-parts of the temples. A black stone sculpture brought from Arthuna and preserved in the Rajputana Museum, Ajmer, represents Yashoda and Krishna. Another sculpture of Putna at the Hanuman temple of Arthuna depicts Vaishanavite theme. The figures of Krishna and Gopis in Rasa-Lila pose and a Vishnu image decorating the Art Gallery of Albert Museum, Jaipur, are fine pieces, and prove the popularity of Vaishnavism, in Amber and Sambhar. A study of these sculptures and inscriptions throw an illuminating light on the growth and development of the cult of Krishna in several parts of Rajasthan in the early medieval period.

With this background it can easily be appreciated why rulers and people in Mughal period were the followers of the cult of Vishnu and Krishna. The Ekalinga inscription of 1428 A.D. refers to the construction of a temple in honour of Dwarkadhish by Rana Mokal of Mewar. According to the Sringirisi inscription he adored Narayana in the form of Varaha of Pushkar, being himself a devotee of the illustrious Narayana.

A big stone inscription dating 25th January, 1444 A.D. fixed in a wall in a temple of Krishna on a hill near tbe village of Kadiyan, about 15 miles from Udaipur records that during the reign of Maharana Kumbha a Brahman named Tila Bhatt built the temple of Krishna. The Kumbhalgarh inscription contains a description of Gadhadhara (Vishnu) whose temple at Chitorgarh is situated near the Mahalakshmi temple. This temple is generally associated with the Chaturbhuja - four handed Vishnu. Further we find a description of Kumbha Swami, now popularly known as Mira Bai temple of ChitOr, which was erected by the Rana Kumbha of Mewar in 1448 A.D.and styled after his own name. The temple was originally dedicated to god Varaha or the boar incarnation of Vishnu.

Rana Kumbha also constructed a temple of Kumbha Swami at Kumbhalgarh. Four inscriptions dated 1448 A.D. record the installation of the idols of Sridhara , Krishna, Rukmani, Rama-Lakshmana and Madhava Tulsi by Rana Kumbha at Chitor. Two inscriptions engraved on the idols of Vasudeva and Damodar, 1459 AD record that they were installed at Kumbhalgarh by the same Rana Kumbha.

Similarly, a Jaisalmer inscriplion of 1526 AD shows that King Sahasmal had the Dashavatara (10 incarnations) of Vishnu with Lakshminarayana painted in the temple of Santi Nath.

In 1532 AD, a temple of Lakshminarayana was constructed by the people at Barvasa (Dungarpur) .A brother of Maharana Pratap repaired the temple of Varaha at Pushkar and spent one lakh of rupees over it. Jahangir was mistaken in attributing its construction to Kunwar Sagar Singh (he only repaired it). It was originally constructed by King Aronoraja Chauhan (great grandfather of Prithviraja Chauhan) in the 12th century AD'41. In 1560, a temple of Dwarkanath (Krishna) was constructed there by the Queen Sajjana Bai.

In 1651 AD, Maharana Jagat Singh of Mewar constructed the temple of Jaganniith Rai at Udnipur, a remarkable structure of indigenous architectural design, at the cost of 15 lakhs of rupees. This was destroyed by Aurangzeb in 1679-80 when he was fighting Rana Raj Singh. The existing temple is amazing but no where comparable to the original wonder built by Rana Jagat Singh.

In 1622 AD, Maharawal Punji of Dungarpur constructed a huge temple of Goverdhan nath and assigned the village of Dasai for its maintanance. Rana Raj Singh of Mewar offered his assistance in getting the image of SriNathji brought from Mathura and in installing it at Ghasa and then at Sinhad (Nathdwara), during the terror of fanaticism unleashed by Aurangzeb. Similarly, the image of Dwarkadhisha was installed at Kinkroli by the liberal grants made by the rulers and nobles of Rajasthan, these two temples became the richest temples of Rajasthan.

A document of 1688 AD shows that the income from the custom duties was granted to the Varaha temple of Bundi by Maharaj Kumar Ugra Singh. At the close of our Mughal period, Maharaja Abhay Singh of Jodhpur built a portion of the 'Heroes Hall' at Mandor raised huge rock cut statues of Vaishnavite themes. Abhay Singh was a contemporary of Peshwa Bajirao. After humbling the Mughal Emperor at Delhi in 1737, there was some correspondence with Abhay Singh. I mentioned him in the second post on Bajirao (which you might have read by now).

Let us make this simple now. Since, Krishna worship was already a popular cult in Rajasthan much before arrival of Mughals, it is only natural that the ladies here were ardent devotees of Sri Krishna. Take example of Mira Bai who lived before Mughals settled here. Also, a major factor is the popularization by the Vallabhacharya who led a Krishna bhakti movement. Do you remember i had posted a farman of Akbar ? He had given some grants to Goswami Vallabhacharya Vithal Rai of Gokul allowing him to graze his cows and performing Krishna worship ? If not, then read here.

Akbar's wife Harka Bai, Maharana Pratap's wife Ajabde Punwar, Rani Durgawati of Gondwana were the disciples of this saint. This saint earlier lived in the protection of Rani Durgavati till her death in 1564 at hands of Akbar's forces. After that he came to Mathura and Akbar granted him all protection. Tansen, Birbal, Man Singh and Raja TodarMal were also his disciples.

And this also.

Two quick questions.

1.) The Rajputs initially rejected every influence of Mughals or those of different faith. For instance playing of Sitar was forbidden among the womem of Rajputana as according to them it was an unholy offspring of Persian Sitar and Hindu Veena. So when exactly did the shift in their approach began taking place? Was it during the times of Mughals or before what. And the political reason behind it. Land grants and warfare tools was anyway gifted to Rajput kings by Mughals. So how did they benefit in their association?

This is a very tricky question. I will attempt answering this. First, it was not aversion of Rajputs to the faith of those people. It was an aversion to those people themselves. The root can be traced back to the times of Chauhan Rajputs as they were the first ones who had faced these invaders in 11th - 12th centuries. If you go through their accounts, a lot of bitterness is found. There are references to these Chauhan Rajputs fighting battles with the Turks coming from Ghazna in 1079 AD, 1095 AD, 1112 AD, 1140 AD. The inscriptions call them Turushka (Turk), Matanga (barbaric), Mlechhas (barbaric, a demeaning phrase) , Asura (demons), etc names. The barbarity which those invaders brought with them made them unpopular here. Battles were fought here also, but it was not a practice to attack cows, temples, etc on a regular basis. A certain degree of battle code was followed. But there are inscriptions which tell that those invaders indulged in attacking temples, cows etc. And yes, it wasn't only about money. It was a pure wave of fanaticism. To give you an idea, i will give a few examples :

The Siwalik Pillar Inscription praises King Vigraharaja IV (C. 1160 AD uncle of Prithviraj Chauhan) for having made Aryavarta a real Aryavarta,  by the repeated destruction of the Mlechchhas. The inscription can be read from the books (i will send the text in PM if you need). The inscriptions smell of a ruler inspired by the love of his faith and a relentless hatred of the those Mlechchhas who come from Ghazni ; and the anti-Muslim spirit pervades the famous Sanskrit drama which he wrote, called - LalitaVigharaja wherein the hero, who is none else than Vigraharaja IV himself is represented as saying that he cared little for his life, if he could not protect the Brahmanas, sacred places and the temples of Hindu gods from destruction at the hands of the Hammira, the Amir of Ghazna.

According to the PrithvirajaVijay composed during reign of Prithviraj Chauhan - The first Chauhan was born to free the sacred soil of Pushkar (Pushkar was a famous pilgrimage center of 11th - 12th century) from the ill doings of the Matangas (referrinng to Muslim invaders). In simple terms, this text says Chauhans originated to exterminate the scourage of Mlechchas. Prithviraja II and Prithviraja III (Prithviraj Chauhan) were regarded as incarnations of Rama in it, because their mission was believed to have been the destruction of the Asuras, meaning by this term, of course, the Muslim invaders from the northwest. Their poet Jayanaka even goes so far as to call these invaders from Ghazna "demons in human form whose destruction had been vowed by Prithviraja Chauhan". Firishta's statement that in the Second battle of Tarain (1192 AD) "the Rajput princes, to the number of 150 who had assembled in the camp of Prithviraja, having sworn by the water of the Holy Ganga, that they would conquer their enemies or die martyrs to their faith'" again tells the same story of the Chauhans' love of their religion and determination, if necessary, to die for it. In fact, a careful perusal of the epigraphic and literary sources of the period, whether Hindu or Muslim, would give the same picture. There is an event mentioned by a chronicler of Sultanate era, in Tabaqat i Nasiri, which says, in the Ajmer Palace of Prithviraj Chauhan, there was a painting which depicted Muslim soldiers being trampled under pigs. Something like this is mentioned. Why i am telling this is to give the extent of animosity. Our modern school history books tell nothing about this, keeping in mind the need to maintain "good relations" between communities. However, those times were terrible. If one really wants to understand this issue, then knowing at least some parts like these were needed. Hence i wrote.

This early period when these invaders had just arrived was the most brutal and fanaticism of highest degree. They fading of their bigotry happened very slowly with time. In such a situation, we can not expect that the two of them would intermingle. They clashed. Only Alaudin Khilji was able to subjugate the entire Rajputana from 1296 to 1316 AD. See the time difference : 1192 to 1316. The intervening period was nothing but continuous clashes. Hence no possibility of any assimilation. Little assimilation took place by the help of the Sufis who came along with the invaders and settled down. Using their influence they converted few people to Islam. This is the little bit of cross cultural exchange which we can say happened.

After death of Alaudin (1316) : Mewar and Jodhpur rose again from the scratch. And, remained independent throughout till reign of Akbar (1556-1605). Mewar, in fact, retained its independence even during this time. The assimilation whatever happened started from time of Akbar. Continued by Jahangir, Shah Jahan and to an extent by Aurangzeb, at least till 1679-80. Approx. for 100 years this cultural exchange happened.

One should think, why this peace was attained by Akbar, and not by any one else before him. A reason is : Akbar allowed them to rule in their kingdom, the only requirement was to accept Akbar as their head. Akbar was advised by his father Humayun to cultivate peaceful relations with the Rajputs (zamindar class) and the Afghans, as these 2 groups held the key to success in India.

From the Rajput point of view too, this was a win win situation. Let us look at their condition. They were sitting at the mouth of North West India. Since AD 1000 they have been at war continuously with one invader or the other. Despite this, they were able to maintain their identity / preserve their culture, else whatever came in the way of these "Holy Warriors" was vanquished. They started from Arab land and none was able to withstand them till they reached here in India. But this took a great toll on the Rajputs. Who wants continuous wars ? It is quite human and natural, that a person thinks about peace. The offer of Akbar was a good bet. So, the reason was political as well as economic as this brought prosperity too. Now instead of fighting the same resources can be used for building, improving condition of state.  This association with Akbar gave them peace and no more wars. However, some kingdoms were still not ready to give up their ancient rivalry with these "invaders" and the lead was taken up by Mewar. They had their own reasons. We all know, they were the only ones who fought till their end.

There is also a school of thought among our historians who say that the peace which Akbar brought to these Rajputs who joined him resulted in destruction of the Rajputs. Reason being : For the Rajputs of that time, war was a sport. When peace was brought, wars were no longer fought and this resulted in the rusting og their martial valor for which they were known. If you read history of Rajasthan, you will get to know that they had special time in a year reserved for wars. The time after the Dusshera was reserved for fighting wars !! Now, all that old system was disturbed as peace was brought.

I hope i was able to give some kind of idea about how things worked. By the way, i did not understand this : "
Land grants and warfare tools was anyway gifted to Rajput kings by Mughals." Land Grants and Warfare Tools ?

2.) The title of Chatrapati. Now if I am not wrong the this title was awarded to the ruler who had all major Satrapy or Chatrap under him. The Maratha Emperor's didn't have that per say. Even Shivaji Maharaj did not command all Satrapies. So was this title an anomaly or had a significance. And if it did how did it help the Maratha cause of Swarajya?

Coronation of Shivaji:

The concept of Chatrapati, as Shivaji envisaged was very different from above assertion , and was associated with the Hindu psyche.

Borrowing from the words of a great historian - "Man is fond not only of work and achievement, but of exhibition and demonstration as well. By performing a splendid coronation ceremony in the old orthodox fashion, which had long been in abeyance for the Hindu nation, Shivaji revived the ancient custom and proclaimed the restoration of full Hindu sovereignty at least over one corner of India."

The ceremony consists of the erection of a throne and its formal occupation after a ritual bath and the sprinkling of holy waters accompanied by Vedic incantations. This was considered to be an excellent method for Shivaji's novel experiment of attracting public attention and confirming his ideal in the Indian imagination. Most of the Maratha nobles had the long established tradition of being addressed as "Rajas," but this did not mean actual kingship. Nor were there any Maratha kings of old who had celebrated the coronation ceremony since the days of the ancient Guptas. After long and deep deliberation with his counsellors, Shivaji conceived the plan of impressing not only on the Hindu but on the Muslim and Christian Powers of India as well, that the Marathas were now masters of their legitimate home, that the religious persecution of the past would no longer be tolerated and that full religious liberty for all was the essence of the new State.

The title of the Chhatrapati for the Maratha king was specially borrowed from Sanskrit works to convey this meaning. At the same time Shivaji by this ceremony dealt a  deathblow to the notion that he was a jagirdar of the Bijapur State and as such its bond servant, or that he was a mere plunderer. There were still some Maratha nobles who could not conceive an independent position and who hugged the idea that they were vassals of Bijapur. Such notions were to be forever shattered : once an independent kingdom is formally proclaimed, the king could exercise the inherent right of levying taxes, of dealing with other Powers on terms of equality and prove that he was no longer to be looked upon as a mere upstart. There was also a prevalent notion even among hisown clansmen that there no longer existed any Kshatriyas of ancient tradition and that there could now be no Kshatriya king after the great Parashuram had annihilated that caste.

It is also clear that the rise of the Bhonsles created much jealousy among the other Maratha families which had once been their equals in social status. These men consoled themselves by refusing to adhere to Shivaji as his servants, bragged of their being loyal subjects of Aurangzeb or of Adil Shah and sneered at Shivaji as an upstart rebel and usurper. It was necessary to rectify his position in their eyes. A formal coronation alone could show them that he was a king and therefore their superior and enable him to treat on equal terms with the rulers of Bijapur and Golkonda.

The higher minds of Maharashtra too had begun to look up to Shivaji as the champion of Hinduism and wished to see the Hindu race elevated to the full stature of its political growth by the formal assertion of his position as an independent king. They longed for the Hindu Swaraj (rule by natives) and that implied a Hindu Chatrapati. (Quoting Sabhasad)

On 6th June, 1674  the coronation itself took place. Rising very early in the morning Shivaji prepared himself by bathing in the water brought from the Holy Ganga, amidst  ceremonies intended to avert evil, worshipped his household gods, and adored the feet of Balam Bhatta his family priest, Gaga Bhatta, and other eminent Brahmans, who all received gifts of ornaments and cloth.

The essential parts of a Hindu king's coronation are washing him (abhishekam) and holding the royal umbrella over his head (chhatra-dhaaran.) Clad in a pure white robe, and decked with garlands of flowers, scented essence, and gold ornaments, Shivaji walked to the place appointed for the bath. Here he sat down on a gold-plated stool, two feet square and two feet high. The queen consort, Soyra Bai, occupied a seat on his left with the hem of her robe knotted up with his, in sign of her being his equal partner in this world and the next (saha-dharmini), as the Hindu sacred law names the wife. The heir-apparent Sambhaji sat down close behind. Then the eight ministers of his cabinet (astha-pradhian), who stood ready at the eight points of the horizon with gold jugs full of the water of the Ganga and other holy rivers, emptied them over the heads of the king, queen and crown-prince, amidst the chanting of hymns and the joyous music o( the band. Sixteen pure-robed Brahmin wives each with live lamps laid on a gold tray, waved the lights round his head to scare away evil influences.

You see, everything was done in a traditonal Hinud style. Shivaji had especially got priests from Banaras to do every ceremony in the ancient Hindu practices which had long been forgotten for centuries. He wanted to remove the centuries of decay. Finally he took the title of Chhatrapati (the one over whose head the royal umbrella (chhatra) rests).

Edited: 
Who is Annapurna Bai? I have come across this name a lot many times while browsing through Marathi history.

She was the second wife of Chimaji Appa. His first wife, Rakma Bai, whom he married in 1716, died after giving birth to their son Sadashiv Bhau (the Maratha commander in chief who sacrificed himself at the ill fated battle field of Panipat, 14th January 1761) on 4th/5th August 1730. Rakma Bai died on 31st August / 1st September 1730. Chimaji married Annapurna Bai on 9th December 1730.

Rakhmabai belonged to Guhagar in Dapoli district of Konkan where her father held the position of Mukaddam ( headman ). Her father Visaji Krishna Pethe , was given an inam in Kiwale , in the Taluka of Haveli province of Poona, by  Chatrapati Shahuji on 17th November 1722. Visaji Krishna  was the Kamavisdar of Khandesh and after his death in 1728 Trimbakrao Pethe succeeded to his post .

Rakma Bai was the sister of Triambak Rao Pethe, the famous Maratha general, who is known for inflicting a crushing defeat on Hyder Ali (father of Tipu Sultan) on 5th March 1771. This was not a single event. He had humbled Hyder Ali on a number of occasions for one year again and again, Hyder lost almost 10,000 men fighting Triambak Rao. This ever dependent man was known as "Trimbak Mama". Even Peshwa Madhav Rao called him by this name. After defeat in March 1771, Hyder Ali retreated to Srirangapatnam. He was followed by Triambak Mama here too. The siege continued. It continued till June 1772. The battle almost ended when Triambak was called by Peshwa Madhav Rao back to Pune, citing some emergency. Hence, Triambak signed a treaty with Hyder but made the best possible deal. Hyder paid jewelery worth 6 lakhs and cash of 31 lakh rupees to purchase peace. In addition to this, he agreed to pay 19 lakh rupees as annual payment for 3 years to the Peshwa. He also surrendered his territory till South of river Krishna to the Peshwa. It was the dream of Peshwa Madhav Rao to compeletely crush Hyder Ali. But emergency forced him to call Triambak Rao back and this dream remained unfulfilled.

Triambak Rao died a hero's death in 1774. As per Chhatrapti's proclamation of 17th February 1773, this aged Maratha stalwart was sent to fight Raghunath Rao, and protect Peshwa Narayana Rao's young widow - Ganga Bai at Purandhar after the young Peshwa was murdered. He was deceived by Raghunath Rao who had called Pethe for settling the matter peacefully but suddenly launched his artillery on the slender forces of Pethe on 26th March 1774. Fighting desperately in this moment, he suffered heavy injuries and was badly wounded. He was captured. Exactly a week later he died.

I digressed from the main topic of Annapurana Bai and then from Rakma Bai to Triambak Rao Pethe. But wars, fights, weapons excite me. Went with the flow.

I have written this post in a hurry without editing. So ignore minor errors and repetition of points.

The.Lannister thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
^^^
That was a terrific description of Shivaji's coronation, Abhay👏 I could easily picture everything as if it were happening right in front of me  Shivaji took what was his unapologetically & I see his coronation as a sign of that. A Hindu country,  ruled by a Hindu who became King with Hindu customs & took up a Hindu title. How lucky must have been the people who got to see this coronation with their own eyes. The Marathi show did a good job with the coronation scene😳
anonee thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
@ History Geek
As always appreciate your post and willingness to share your knowledge.

This post of yours and the word "Mlecha" that was used to describe the barbaric invaders - I found to be very interesting.

Shri Jayadeva Goswami - a Vaishnavite Saint of the 11th Century who composed the beautiful Dashavatara Stotra mentions that the Kalki Avatar of Lord Vishnu is to destroy the Mlechas or wicked barbarian humans.  Kalki avatar incidentally is portrays the Lord on a horse with a sword.  This of course would be the literal meaning of the stanza.  The deeper metaphysical meaning in my opinion is that by our bhakti we invoke the Lord within and by His grace we use the sword of discrimination to annihilate the evil forces in our mind

mleccha-nivaha-nidhane kalayasi karavalam
dhumaketum iva kim api karalam
kesava dhrita-kalki-sarira jaya jagadisa hare!

Meself thumbnail
Woah! My mind is all set to explode with the details. This is simply brilliant. Especially the way you described Shivaji Maharaj's coronation. What a grand sight it must have been. A man who gave zero damn about what his enemies would think, all he cared for was the cause of Swarajya. Lucky are those who saw this man in flesh. Damn! Why was I born so late?😆

By land grants I meant, the land given out as gift and on which the state did not impose any tax. And if I am not wrong wouldn't this disturb the treasury for revenue generated by taxing land formed the bulk of money the treasury housed. Warfare tools included everything from beasts of burdens to infantry. This is why I wasn't able to place the rivalry and alliance of Rajputs and Mughals well. The exchange of such war luxuries was almost constant among the two dynasties. The reaping of profits was certainly high when these forces were in alliance, given both war and peace situations were sorted more or less. So the shift of policies of Rajputs must have had a clinical and political approach to it. What was the trigger behind the same? As far as Akbar is concerned then he had a very flexible approach which proved to be the biggest aid for expanding his empire pan India. But there has to be a trigger or a calamatic incident for the gradual shift among the Rajputana and their policies. As you pointed out there was a wave of fanatism and bigotry when the invaders finally descended in India. Obviously it would have taken a more than just bilateral talks for the age old wound a to dry and heal. So again what was that because even before advent of Mughals there wasn't much resistance among Rajputana for the so called Malecha, it was only undiluted hatered.

Also another quick one. What's the difference between Chauth and Sardeshmukhi taxes?

P.S. Here in Bihar "Malecha" means a person who hasn't had a bath for days.🤣
Meself thumbnail
Karshini are the devotees of Krishna. The term, I believe, first appears in Mahabharat. Abhimanyu is called as Abhimanyu Karshini because he was son of Draupadi (also known as Krishnaa) and nephew of Krishna. Later on this term developed as followers of Krishna. The Bhagwats in North and Alavar in South are basically Karshinis. The tales and saga are pretty similar with changes in name. Like in North in we have Radha and in South there is Andal. 

Now the reason behind my question was that Rajputs were usually from the Shaiv or Shakth tradition. But among them the women folk were devout Karshini. Be it Meerabai, Harkha Bai, Ajabde, Jagat Gosain and so on. I wanted to know if this was a simple co-incidence or carries a solid reason behind it. For example many indologist believe that the Dashavatar tale of Vishnu came into revered existence because of the constant invasion by foreign elements. The tale of a savior destined to save the mankind was a almost a surreal hope during that atmosphere. This is why I ask, was the Rajputana influenced by such thinking and had Karshinis among them or was it simple co-incidence?
history_geek thumbnail

Detailed Description of Shivaji's Coronation

Originally posted by: The.Lannister

^^^

That was a terrific description of Shivaji's coronation, Abhay👏 I could easily picture everything as if it were happening right in front of me  Shivaji took what was his unapologetically & I see his coronation as a sign of that. A Hindu country,  ruled by a Hindu who became King with Hindu customs & took up a Hindu title. How lucky must have been the people who got to see this coronation with their own eyes. The Marathi show did a good job with the coronation scene😳

:)

That was nothing compared to the actual detailed description we have. I haven't watched the Marathi show, and i think there is no Hindi version available. But, if the coronation episode is present on YouTube, then please give the link. I will check the coronation scenes.

Till then, read this and try to feel that moment. Writing it as i have read, unadulterated...

Only a Kshatriya could be legally crowned as king and claim the homage of Hindu subjects. The Bhonsles were popularly known to be neither Kshatriyas nor of any other twice-born caste, but mere tillers of the soil, as Shivaji's great grandfather was still remembered to have been. The Brahmans of all parts of India would attend and bless the coronation of Shivaji, only if he could be authoritatively declared a Kshatriya.

It was, therefore, necessary first to secure the support of a pandit, whose reputation for scholarship would silence all opposition to the views he might propound. Such a man was found in Bishweshwar, nicknamed Gaga Bhatta, of Benares, the greatest Sanskrit theologian then alive, a master of the 4 Vedas, the 6 philosophies, and all the scriptures of the Hindus, and popularly known as the Brahma-deva and Vyas of the age.

After holding out for some time, he became compliant, accepted the Bhonsle's theory as fabricated by the clever secretary Betlaji Avji and other agents of Shiva, and declared that that Raja was a Kshatriya of the purest breed, descended in unbroken line from the Maharanas of Udaipur, the sole representatives of the solar line of Lord Ramachandra. His audacious but courtierly ethnological theory was rewarded with a huge fee, and he was entreated to visit Maharashtra and officiate as high priest at the coronation of Shivaji. He agreed, and on his arrival was welcomed like a crowned head, Shivaji and all his officers advancing many miles from Satara to receive him on the way.

Preparations for coronation :

The preparations took many months. There was no unbroken tradition about the exact ceremonies and paraphernalia required at the coronation of an independent Hindu sovereign. The Sanskrit epics and political treatises were ransacked by a syndicate of pandits to find out the orthodox ancient precedents on these points, and agents were sent to learn the practice of the Rajas of Udaipur and Jaipur.

Invitations had been sent to learned Brahmans of every part of India ; the report of the coming ceremony had attracted others. 11,000 Brahmans, making 50,000 souls with their wives and children, were assembled at Raigarh and fed with sweets for 4 months at the Rajah's expense.

Chitnis Bakkhar asserts, and we can readily believe it, that the greatest forethought and organising power were shown by Shivaji in providing for the comfort of the numerous guests Brahmans, nobles, local magnates of the realm, agents of other States, foreign merchants and visitors, and poor cousins, who had flocked to the ceremony. Nothing went amiss ; there was no disorder, no deficiency, no shouting or bustle in catering to this lakh of men women and children.

The daily religious ceremonies and consultations with the Brahmans left Shiva no time to attend to other business, as the English envoy, Henry Oxinden, found to his chagrin. Shivaji began by bowng to his Guru Ramdas Swami and his mother Jija Bai and receiving their blessings. The unhappy discarded first wife of Shahji, now verging on 80, had forgotten her husband's neglect in the love and devotion of her son, and rejoiced to see, before she closed her eyes, that he had reached the summit of human greatness as the crowned king of the land of his birth, an irresistible conqueror, and a strong defender of the faith which was the solace of her life. She was feeling that glory in the glory of her victorious son. A kind providence seemed to have prolonged her life only to enable her to witness the scene of his coronation, for she died twelve days after it.

Close your eyes. Imagine the scene as described above. How it would have been ?

Puja and purification by Shivaji :

Then he set out on a round of worship at the most famous shrines of the land. Chiplun was visited early in May, 1674, and after adoring Lord Parashuram in the great temple there, he returned to Raigarh on the 12th. Four days afterwards he again issued forth to worship the Bhavani goddess he had installed at Pratapgarh, as the ancient Bhavani of Tuljapur was beyond his reach. To this image he presented an umbrella of pure gold, weighing one and a quarter maunds, (worth about Rs. 56,000) and many other costly gifts.

Returning to Raigarh in the afternoon of the 21st, he plunged into devotion there. Under the guidance of his family priest, Balam Bhatta, (the son of Prabhakar Bhatta Upadhyay), he adored Mahadev, Bhavani and other local deities for many days in succession.

But one great defect had to be removed before his coronation could take place. He had to be publicly purified (bathed) and "made a Kshatriya." On 28th May he performed penance for his ancestors' and his own sin of omission in not having observed the Kshatriya rites so long, and was invested by Gaga Bhatta with the sacred thread, the distinctive badge of the twice-born ones like the "pure" Kshatriyas of Northern India. The next step was to teach him the mantra (sacred verses) and initiate him into the rules of the Kshatriyas. Shivaji very logically demanded that all the Vedic verses appropriate to the initiation and coronation of a true Hindu king should be chanted in his hearing, because the Kshatriyas being one of the holy "twice-born" ones, he as an admitted Kshatriya was entitled to use the Vedic mantras equally with the Brahmans. At this there was a mutiny among the assembled Brahmans, who asserted that there was no true Kshatriya in the modern age and that the Brahmans were the only twice-born ones now surviving ! Even Gaga Bhatta was cowed by the general opposition and evidently dropped the Vedic chant and initiated Shivaji only in a modified form of the life of the twice-born, instead of putting him at par with the Brahmans in this respect. This purification and its sequel, the investiture with the sacred thread, were performed with "great ceremony ;" a vast amount of money was distributed among the Brahmans, Gaga Bhatta alone getting 7000 huns and the crowd 17,000.

Next day, Shivaji made atonement for the sins, deliberate or accidental, committed in his own lifetime. He was separately weighed against each of the 7 metals
gold,
silver,
copper,
zinc,
tin,
lead, and
iron,
as well as very fine linen, camphor, salt, nails (sic), nutmegs, and other spices, butter, sugar, fruits and all sorts of eatables (betel-leaves and country wine being among them.) All these metals and other articles to the weight of his body, together with a lakh of hun more, were distributed after the coronation to the assembled Brahmans.

But even this failed to satisfy them. 2 of the learned Brahmans pointed out that Shivaji, in the course of his raids, had burnt cities "involving the death of Brahmans, cows, women & children."

He could be cleansed of this sin for a price. It was not necessary for him to pay compensation to the surviving relatives of the men and women who had perished in his sack of Surat or Karinja. It would be enough if he put money into the pockets of the Brahmans of Konkan and Desh. The price demanded for this 'pardon' was 'only' Rs. 8,000, and Shivaji could not have refused to pay this trifle.

Scene of Shivaji's Coronation :

All his disqualifications having been thus removed with gold, the actual coronation was now begun. The 5th of June was the eve of the grand ceremony. It had to be spent in self-restraint and mortification of the flesh, like the night of vigil preceding knighthood in the age of chivalry. Shivaji bathed in water brought from the holy Ganges, and gave Gaga Bhatta 5,000 hun and the other great Brahmans a 100 gold-pieces each. The day was probably spent in fasting.

Next day (6th June, 1674) came the coronation itself. Rising very early in the morning, Shivaji prepared himself by bathing amidst ceremonies intended to avert evil, worshipped his household gods, and adored the feet of his family priest. Gaga Bhatta, and other eminent Brahmans, who all received gifts of ornaments and cloth.

The essential parts of a Hindu king's coronation are washing him (abhishekam) and holding the royal umbrella over his head {chhatra-dhaaran.) Clad in a pure white robe, wearing garlands of flowers, scented essence, and gold ornaments, Shiva walked to the place appointed for the bath. Here he sat down on a gold-plated stool, two feet square and two feet high. The queen-consort, Soyra Bai, occupied a seat on his left with her robe knotted up with his, in sign of her being his equal partner in this world and the next (saha-dharmini), as the Hindu sacred law lays down. The heir-apparent Sambhaji sat down close behind. Then the eight ministers of his cabinet {ashta-pradhan), who stood ready at the eight points of the horizon with gold jugs full of the water of the Holy Ganga and other holy rivers, emptied them over the heads of the king queen and crown-prince, amidst the chanting of hymns and the joyous music of the band. Sixteen pure-robed Brahman wives each with five lamps laid on a gold tray, waved the lights round his head to scare away evil influences.

Then Shivaji changed his dress for a robe of royal scarlet, richly embroidered with gold, put on sparkling gems and gold ornaments, a necklace, a garland of flowers, and a turban adorned with strings and tassels of pearls, worshipped his sword shield bow and arrows, and again bowed to his elders and Brahmans. Then, at the auspicious moment selected by the astrologers, he entered the throne-room.

The hall of coronation was decorated with the 32 emblematic figures prescribed by Hindu usage and various auspicious plants. Overhead an awning of cloth of gold was spread, with strings of pearls hanging down in festoons. The floor was covered with velvet. In the centre was placed a "magnificent throne," constructed after months of continuous labour in a manner worthy of a king. Even if we reject Sabhasad's statement that it contained 32 maunds of gold (worth 14 lakhs of Rupees), we must accept the English observer's report that it was ''rich and stately." The base was evidently coated with gold plate, and so also were the eight pillars standing at the eight angles, which were further richly embellished with gems and diamonds. They supported a canopy of the richest gold embroidery from which strings of pearls were suspended in tassels and festoons, interspersed with dazzling gems. The coverings of the royal seat were a grotesque combination of ancient Hindu asceticism and modern Mughal luxury : tiger skin below and velvet on the top !

On the two sides of the throne, various emblems of royalty and government were hung from gilded lance-heads. On the right hand stood two large fish-heads of gold with very big teeth, and on the left several horses' tails (the insignia of royalty among the Turks) and a pair of gold scales, evenly balanced (the emblem of justice) on a very costly lance-head. All these were copied from the Mughal Court. At the palace gate were placed on either hand pitchers full of water covered with bunches of leaves, and also two young elephants and two beautiful horses, with gold bridles and rich trappings. These latter were auspicious tokens according to Hindu ideas.

As Shivaji mounted the throne, small lotuses of gold set with jewels, and various other flowers made of gold and silver were showered among the assembled throng. Sixteen Brahman married women again performed the auspicious waving of lamps round the newly enthroned monarch. The Brahmans lifted up their voices in chanting holy verses and blessing the king, who bowed to them in return. The crowd set up deafening shouts of "Victory, victory unto Shiva-raje ! " All the instruments began to play and the musicians to sing at once. By previous arrangement the artillery of every fort in the kingdom fired salvoes of all their guns exactly at this time. The arch-pontiff Gaga Bhatta advanced, held the royal sun-shade of cloth of gold fringed with pearls over his head, and hailed him as Shivaji Chhatrapati, or Shivaji the paramount sovereign!

The Brahmans stepped forward and poured their blessings on his head. The Rajah gave away vast sums of money and gifts of every kind to them and to the assembled beggars and general public. "He performed the sixteen varieties of great alms- giving {maha-daan prescribed in the sacred books of the Hindus. Then the ministers advanced to the throne and made their obeisance, and received from his hands robes of honour, letters of appointment, and large gifts of money, horses, elephants, jewels, cloth, and eirms. Sanskrit titles were ordered to be used in future to designate their offices, and the Persian titles hitherto current were abolished."

The crown-prince Sambhaji, the high-priest Gaga Bhatta, and the prime-minister Moro Trimbak Pingle, were seated on an eminence a little lower than the throne. The other ministers stood in two rows on the right and left of the throne. All other courtiers and visitors stood according to their ranks at proper places in a respectful attitude.

By this time it was eight o'clock in the morning. The English ambassador, Henry Oxinden, was now presented by Naroji Pant. He bowed from a distance, and his interpreter Narayan Shenvi held up a diamond ring as an offering from the English to the Rajah. Shivaji took notice of the strangers and ordered them to come to the foot of the throne, invested them with robes of honour, and then sent them back.

Street procession at Raigarh :

When the presentations were over, Shivaji descended from his throne, mounted his best horse, decked with gorgeous trappings, and rode to the palace-yard. There he mounted the finest elephant in his stable, dressed out most splendidly for the occasion, and then rode through the streets of the capital in full military procession, girt round by his ministers and generals, with the two royal banners, zari-pataka and Bhagwe-jhande (saffron flag), borne aloft on two elephants walking in the Van, while the generals and regiments of troops followed with their respective flags, artillery and band. The citizens had decorated their houses and roads in a manner worthy of the occasion. The housewives waved lighted lamps round him and showered fried rice, flowers, holy grass, etc , on his head. After visiting the various temples on Raigarh hill and offering adoration with presents at each, he returned to the palace.

On the 7th began a general distribution of gifts to all the assembled envoys and Brahmans and of alms to the beggars, which lasted twelve days, during which the people were also fed at the king's expense. The more distinguished pandits and sannyasis were not included in this alms-giving, as the men got only 3 to 5 Rupees and the women and children a Rupee or two each.

Probably the day after the coronation the monsoon burst, the rains set in, and the weather continued wet for some time, to the intense discomfort of the assembled crowd. On the 8th, Shivaji took a fourth wife without any state or ceremony.

This was evidently a renewal of his marriage with a 3rd wife with a sacred thread. The marriage was celebrated with [Vedic] mantras, and it shall not be wrong in supposing that Shivaji made these late marriages in order to assert publicly his right as a 'twice-born' to hear Vedic mantras.

After the coronation was safely over, Jija Bai died on 18th June, in the fulness of years and happiness, leaving to her son her personal property worth 25 lakhs of hun, "some say more." When the period of mourning for her was over, Shivaji sat on the throne a second time, to celebrate his purification after her funeral.

Cost of the Coronation :

The total cost of the coronation, including the sums distributed in gifts and alms, is put down by Sabhasad at the incredible figure of one crore and 42 lakhs of hun. The Dutch merchant Abraham Le Feber, writing from Vingurla only four months after the event, quotes the popular report that "this ceremony and distribution of largess cost 150,000 pagodas." He evidently means the money spent in the 12 days' general alms-giving from the 7th to the 18th, and not the special gifts to the ministers and other officers, Brahmans and priests. But even when all these are taken into account, together with the price of the throne and ornaments made for the occasion and the cost of feeding the assemblage, the total expenditure cannot be put higher than 10 lakhs of hun or fifty lakhs of Rupees.

Manzz thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
😃  😃  Thank  You    😃  😃

😃 😃  😳  😳 😃 😃 😳  Whole Lot Of History And Detailed Information There  ! ! 😉 😆  😳 😃 Interestingt  ! !  😳 😃  😉 😆 

😃 😳     😃  😃 😃
history_geek thumbnail

Last Days of Mastani
Role of Nana Saheb, Chimaji and Bajirao

Earlier, I had decided in favor of not touching the topic of Mastani. Though, i would like to write a few things which i think should be opened up. Below, facts are in bullets separated from personal opinion / extra info given in brackets.

- A letter of Baba Fadnis* written in 1736, states there was no distinction in the status of KashiBai and Mastani. Can be read in the 18th Volume of the published Peshwa Dafter Archives. It is placed as Letter number 12.

{ * - Baba Fadnis was the father of the veteran Nana Phadnis (the last Maratha statesman and 'hero' of the First Anglo-Maratha War, 1775-82). Baba Fadnis was the son of Balaji Mahadev Fadnis who accompanied Balaji Vishwanath and Bajirao during the Mughal-Maratha skirmish during rescue of Yesu Bai. He died fighting in 1719 in that campaign at Delhi. } 3 generations of great men.

- Things were fine till 1739, the actual problem started with the decision for the thread and marriage ceremonies, the preparations for which were to be decided in 1739*.  Bajirao was already into an "unwelcome" lifestyle for a long time, which was resented by the priestly class. But, the priests got a chance ONLY NOW to express their displeasure when they were asked to officiate in the thread / marriage ceremonies.

{* - Actual ceremonies took place in February 1740 when Bajirao, Chimaji, Malhar Rao Holkar and others were fighting Nasir Jung in the battlefield. Exact dates are given in my blog which i shared in the second thread. Link }

Let us go a little back into 1739 to understand the things a little better.

- Bajirao had returned to Pune, completely well and fine on 27th July 1739. He was contemplating attacking Nadir Shah but since Chimaji was busy at Vasai and could not come to aid Bajirao, hence Bajirao kept waiting for Chimaji*. Meanwhile, Nadir Shah looted Delhi and returned back before Bajirao could do anything. So, he also returned back to Pune in July 1739.

{ * - Chimaji was commanding an army of over 75,000 Marathas and a huge sea of irregular Pindaris, during this Vasai campaign. Meanwhile, from January onwards Bajirao started collected armies to tackle Nadir Shah. He asked the Marathas from Malwa, Malhar Rao Holkar, Ranoji Schindhia and Pawar, etc to come towards North. Bajirao was already waiting at Burhanpur. He wrote at least 2 letters to Chimaji asking for a few 1000 men to handle Nadir Shah who was that time rumored to come to Deccan. Bajirao also exchanged letters with the Rajputs and a combined Rajput Maratha front was proposed to counter Nadir Shah with the ruler of Mewar sitting on the throne of Delhi (after defeating Nadir, as the Mughal Emperor was already reduced to a beggar by Nadir). All this happened in March 1739. That time, it was a complete assurity that Nadir Shah will next move towards Hindu kingdoms of Rajasthan and then to Deccan. The idea was to stop him after Delhi. The ruler of Jaipur, being nearest to Delhi, had prepared and sent his family to the safety of the hill forts of Udaipur (Mewar), in face of any imminent attack. But, finally on 1st May 1739 Nadir Shah went back taking a more northwards route touching Himalayas, as the "combined Indians" were prepared waiting for him. Mughal Empire was in shambles. Nadir Shah had ransacked everything, taking treasures from Mughals, along with a Mughal princess for his son. Chhatrapati Shahu wrote a letter to Bajirao to leave the Mughals unharmed on humanitarian grounds and not to make matters worse for them in this hour of misery. Bajirao stayed there for 2 more months and only when matters were sure of getting back to normal, returned to Pune. }

- Bajirao returned to Pune on 27th July 1739. Chimaji returned to Pune on 3rd September 1739 after winning the Fort of Vasai from the Portuguese. He was assisted by Malhar Rao Holkar and Venkat Rao* Ghorpade in this battle. Venkat Rao and Chimaji were suitably rewarded by Chhatrapati Shahu. A joyous Bajirao himself went ahead to congratulate and receive his brother Chimaji at Aundhe which was over 130 kilometres from their Shaniwarvaada in Pune.

{ * - Venkat Rao was the husband of Anu Bai, youngest daughter of Peshwa Balaji Vishwanath. }

The motive of narrating the above events was to show that Bajirao was hail and hearty and fit and agile as ever. He was not unwell and his body constitution had not taken any hit by alcohol consumption. The man was ready and eager to clash with Nadir Shah. This alone removes any kind of doubt. There was no animosity between the brothers.

- After lot of years, the entire Peshwa family was supposed to spend their time together in this monsoon of 1739. Everyone was home. Now, let us return to the topic of thread ceremony and the priestly class. They objected to Bajirao's free lifestyle and drinking / eating habits. Bajirao became a topic of public criticism. The priests were not ready to officiate at the ceremony if such a tainted man was present.

- The blame for these habits of Bajirao fell on Mastani (naturally). Trouble began for her. The Peshwa family now tried to separate Peshwa and Mastani as they thought she was responsible for all this. 18th century atmosphere was such. They could think of no other reason for the corruption in habits of Bajirao. We have no evidence to prove Mastani led him to alcoholic habits*.

{ Had this been true, then i fail to understand why nothing happened from 1729 to 1739. Neither Bajirao's body constitution had taken a hit nor was he like any other drunkard. He was into drinking for lot of years but not a 24X7 drunkard. The most probable reason for his drinking etc habits was his association with the Northern nobility who were already into drinking. Moreover, the hardships of the 18th century camp life , away the strict conduct and vegetarian mannerisms of his household, would have served as a catalyst to such habits. }

- Apart from her separation with Bajirao which was to start in November 1739, another game began. Chimaji asked Nana Saheb to start getting friendly with Mastani. To gain her trust. This happened along the same time when this objection by the priests started.

- It is also important to note the time of this development. Bajirao was already away till 27th July 1739 while Nadir Shah was in Delhi till 1st May 1739 , as i wrote above. And, this friendship phase of Nana Saheb with Mastani to gain her trust, started around June of 1739.

From the simple analysis of above dates, one thing is clear - Bajirao was NOT at Pune when all this was going on. Hence, to hold her responsible for any reason below like ( is not feasible )  -

a. She was coming in between Bajirao and Kashi Bai, hence the Peshwa family tried to separate both of them.

b. Bajirao was spending more time with Mastani, hence the Peshwa family tried to separate both of them.

c. She was responsible for alcohol consumption / meat eating habits of Bajirao, hence the Peshwa family tried to separate both of them.

None of the above were the actual or immediate reasons which could explain anything about Mastani's separation from Bajirao. Above 3 or any of the reasons to implicate Mastani would not hold merit. So, what could have been the reason of trying to change the status quo of 1729-1739 suddenly ?

Mastani was staying peacefully from 1729 to 1739. Now, what changed in 1739 (that too when Bajirao was not in Pune) that problems cropped up for Mastani , rather, she became the problem ?

I leave the topic open to you, but after a careful analysis, i can think of ONLY one reason. Remember the preparations for the thread ceremony ? The priests had refused to officiate in that ceremony IS A FACT. That they had problems with Bajirao's lifestyle IS ALSO A FACT and probably his association with a Muslim (or Pranami sect) Mastani. A Muslim or a person from the Pranami sect - the priests would view both of them in same light.

In such a circumstance, the Peshwa family figured out that the problem was Mastani. It is actually not easy to hold them wrong. They thought removal / separation of Mastani would make Bajirao disciplined as earlier. And would also placate the orthodox priests. In this chess board there was no hero and no villain.

First, Nana Saheb, on advice of Radha Bai tried to make Bajirao understand that his public behaviour like drinking, meat etc were impacting their reputation. Bajirao assured that he would mend his ways but this did not happen. Then, they tried the other method.

Nana Saheb befriends Mastani

And the foundation was lain down even when Bajirao was not at Pune in May 1739. Nana Saheb tried to befriend Mastani. This was done on orders of Nana Saheb. The plan was to keep Mastani away from Bajirao by "keeping her engaged with Nana". The details are not known to us.

Mastani knows the Plan ; pained by her name being tarnished

But Mastani came to know of this plan in August 1739 ; and sent a message to Nana Saheb saying :

"I am sincere enough and maintained friendship with you for the last 6 months. But, since the last few months i have not heard anything from you. Moreover, my name was disgraced. I (My name / reputation) was dishonored by connecting with Nana Saheb and even with Chimaji. On the Krishna Janmashtami i did a dance for the revered God. (There)

I met Tai Saheb (Kashi Bai) and she told me, she received Nana's letter. It means Tai regularly gets a letter. Have i done something wrong ?   ( Implying Why i don't get a letter or hear anything ? ) This means there was no friendship (in reality). "

Kashi Bai talks about Nana and Mastani

This was in August. It is important to keep track of the time / months. After this Mastani was called by Nana Saheb to come and meet him. She met him 3 times. One time she was asked to come alone.

After some weeks, Kashi Bai talked to Nana Saheb about Mastani. She told him that there is gossip going around that Mastani went to meet Nana Saheb late at night. People are suspecting something ( "friendship" ) is prospering between you both.

Gossip about relations of Mastani and Nana

Entire above episode was narrated by Nana Saheb to Chimaji in a letter. Nana was very eager to get rid of any stigma. He was not happy with these gossips around. So he asked Chimaji to guide him and tell what to do. Chimaji replied that Nana must continue and try to keep Mastani away from Bajirao.

Bajirao not allowed to meet Mastani

There was also a restraint on Bajirao on meeting Mastani. There are pointers which tell us that this restraint was on orders of Chimaji. Guards were placed around the area where Mastani stayed so she is not able to meet Bajirao. We have records which say that Radha Bai and Chimaji requested Bajirao to stay away from Mastani for 4 days.

And, they kept her in the home (with guards all around).

Bajirao leaves to prepare against Nasir Jung & Mastani escapes

Bajirao was unable to go against his family and bring Mastani out. Angrily, he left Pune on 1st November 1739, to prepare for the battle against Nasir Jung. Meanwhile, Mastani was in Pune only unable to leave from her house arrest. But she was able to escape from that house arrest and met Bajirao at Patas on 14th November 1739 (another record puts the date as 24th November 1739).

Nana is relieved

The escape of Mastani also cleansed Nana Saheb from all the gossip / charges of any kind of relation / association with Mastani. He wrote to Chimaji that he was relieved that Mastani has escaped from here.

Mastani is sent back

Now, on 1st December 1739, Radha Bai sent Mahadji Pant to meet Bajirao in Patas. Bajirao had a great regard for Mahadji. He persuaded Bajirao to give up drinking and also to send Mastani back to Pune. Bajirao agreed. He promised not to drink. Mastani came back to Pune.

Bajirao asks for Mastani

This, however, did not improve matters. There is a letter in the published Peshwa Daftar Archives, which state that "Bajirao became ill due to separation from Mastani".

Another letter by Nana Saheb refers to pathetic state of Bajirao, and says nothing improved.

The same letter continues to state - Only a total separation from Mastani would help Bajirao come back to normalcy. It appears that, even though, Mastani was in Pune, she was able to establish contact with Bajirao through letters.

Now, she was completely put into strict arrest thereby removing all possibilities of communication with Bajirao. Nana Saheb was at Pune and Chimaji was with Bajirao.

Chimaji writes, Bajirao has promised me he will altogether stop drinking if Mastani is united with him. However, he says, he has no faith in the promise of Bajirao. As he has made this promise earlier too.

Nana Saheb asked to place guards around Bajirao's camp to prevent him from going back to Pune to free Mastani. However, Chimaji wrote that such a step would be detrimental to their reputation. Hence, no guards were placed around Bajirao's camp. All the above events happened till 12th January 1740.

Hunger Strike by Mastani

On 13th January 1740, Nana Saheb wrote to Chimaji that Mastani has stopped taking any food and has went on a hunger strike to protest against her confinement. A confused Nana Saheb asked Chimaji to tell him the future course of action.

During this time, Bajirao was busy preparing for war against Nasir Jung. He was also busy in settling the terms of treaty of the newly captured Vasai, by Chimaji Appa.

Bajirao plans against Nasir and meets English representative

On 14th January 1740, he met the English representatiev Inchbird at Paitan, who was sent by the English President of Bombay (Stephan Law) to talk with Bajirao. Here, Bajirao gave him the list of demands which he wanted the Portuguese to fulfill. English acted as representatives of the Portugues.

From mid December to January, Bajirao and Chimaji were constantly on the move, carefully measuring their steps, and moving towards Nasir Jung at Godawari. With them were their most trusted men - Pilaji Jadhav, Malhar Rao Holkar and Ranoji Scindhia.

Clarification about Mastani

Till now, Mastani was under house arrest. She was not properly arrested. By house arrest i mean, she was confined and not allowed to have any kind of correspondence with anyone. A better word could be - restraint. Now, Chimaji and Nana Saheb were thinking to arrest her.

Shahu JI warns against harming Mastani, Wants her sent back to Bajirao, Holds her innocent

Chhatrapati Shahu ji Maharaj was consulted. He was a wise man. They wanted to know his opinion. Shahu ji's opinion was described in a letter, dated 24th (or 21st) January 1740, to Nana Saheb by his secretary Chitnis -

"The King has strongly objected to the idea of her personal restraint or forcible separation of Mastani from Bajirao. What he likes should be given back to him. The King will not tolerate any offence given to Bajirao. The evil is not present in that lady. It (His habits) can be stopped only when Bajirao himself regrets it. It is advised that no one violates the feelings of Bajirao. Under light of above mentioned things, it is advised that no one separates the thing (whom he loves) from him, or hurt her."

Most important thing is - Shahu ji did not consider Mastani responsible for any of the vices of Bajirao. (Which i believe was right.)

Nana arrests Mastani

Despite this, on 26th January 1740, Nana Saheb (with consent of Chimaji) called Mastani at some place. Upon her arrival, he arrested Mastani and put her under imprisonment. They had also explored the possibility of sending her secretly, to a distant fort, but then settled for keeping her arrested here itself.

Mastani protests ; pleads innocence; writes to Nana

Mastani, protested her imprisonment, asked for her fault and stated she was innocent and she was not going to run away to meet Bajirao. She wrote a letter to Nana Saheb -

" Saheb! You have placed guards around my palace thinking i will run away. But i promise Saheb (you) that i will not run away without asking Saheb (you). If Saheb (you) suspect that Rao Saheb (Bajirao) will come to get me freed from here by armed means, or by any other means at night, then i assure you that whatever you order me will be done."

Nana ready for attack by Bajirao

Nana Saheb and Chimaji had expected there could be some force used from the side of Mastani, during this arrest. This is clear from the letter of Nana to Chimaji where he states, the arrest was managed without usage of weapons. They had expected someone from Bajirao's behalf to foil their attempt. And, they were probably ready for such a skirmish. Fortunately, this did not happen.

Extent of Planning & Preparedness to imprison Mastani

In the same letter, Nana Saheb tells Chimaji that he will not kill Mastani, but only keep her imprisoned. The language suggests that they were ready to go to the extent of killing her. At the same time, he asks Chimaji to put guards around the camp of Bajirao to prevent him from sending escort for Mastani.

Nana Fears for Bajirao

However, Nana Saheb was afraid that the repercussions of this step on Bajirao might be so strong that, either he would himself come to get her released forcibly (by means of war) or himself attempt suicide !

Maturity shown by Bajirao despite utmost provocation

All this was done while Bajirao was away preparing for battle against Nasir Jung. Nana Sahen and Chimaji (he was with Bajirao) had expected that Bajirao would resort to armed force to get Mastani freed (evident from the letter mentioned above). It is to the credit of Bajirao that he did not take this course, which could have thrown the Maratha empire into a state of confusion and civil strife.

Mastani gives a promise

Mastani had also expected that Bajirao would resort to armed force to get her freed. She gave a promise to Nana Saheb that she would not leave her imprisonment under any circumstance, without the permission of Nana.

Climax - War with Nasir, Celebration in Pune

While Bajirao was fighting the war with Nasir Jung from 7th to 9th February, festivities were going on at Pune. Bajirao's son SadashivRao's thread ceremony was performed on 4th February 1740. Chimaji's son Sadashiv Bhau's marriage was celebrated on 7th February 1740. Shahu ji Maharaj came to greet the ocassion. During this time, Mastani was kept under imprisonment.

Detailed Account of Bajirao's victory over Nasir

I have described the affairs of how Bajirao defeated Nasir Jung and what happened after that, along with Mastani's part in a long, detailed separate blog post. It can be read on this link, it contains lot of Marathi letters scanned, with English translation :

{
Account of Victory of Peshwa Bajirao over Nasir Jung | Thread 2

IF Thread Link :
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4804485

Direct Post Link :
https://mariam-uz-zamani.blogspot.in/2017/02/victory-of-peshwa-bajirao-on-nizam-nasir-jung-and-allusions-to-mastani-chimaji-brahmendra-swami.html#.WKROWjh2m1t
}

Lets play with Dates

Actual battle was fought on 8th February 1740. Skirmishes continued for more days. Finally on 27th February 1740, Nasir Jung surrendered. Treaty was signed. Nasir Jung met Bajirao on 3rd March 1740.

After that, Chimaji and Bajirao discussed personal matters, and Bajirao left towards North on 7th March 1740 to take possessions of the estates he won from Nasir Jung. He was also in contact with his agents in the courts at Delhi and Jaipur and was planning for future course of action. There was not the slightest possibility that his end was so near.

Talks on Mastani & Ill health of Chimaji

No consensus could be reached on Mastani's issue during that above mentioned discussion from 4th to 7th March, and we find a letter dated 27th March 1740, from Chimaji to Nana Saheb, saying that Mastani should be united with Bajirao. He also told Nana Saheb that he has written to Bajirao, asking him to come to Pune soon, and also informed Bajirao about his ill-health but is yet to hear from Bajirao.

KashiBai sent to Bajirao, not Mastani

Instead, Nana Saheb sent Kashibai to Bajirao, along with his sons Janardan and Raghunath. The Peshwa's health began to worsen from 23rd April 1740. That was the first sign of his deteriorating health, as he became febrile. He had a sudden breakdown on 25th April 1740 while he was at the banks or river Narmada. On 28th April 1740, at 8:30 PM, died Bajirao !

Relation with Radha Bai and Chimaji Appa

Despite any amount of difference with them, it is on record that Bajirao never opposed them openly. He did not adopt the armed route to get Mastani released, which he was capable of doing. When asked to stay away from Mastani, though it angered him, but he still followed his mother (as we saw on 1st November 1739) and went away from Pune.

Letter to Radhabai

He was very close to both of them. This is clear from his last letter written to his mother before his death in April 1740. He writes -

" I am safe here with your blessings. Please write more often, to me and take care of myself. The climate is hot here and Janardan and Raghunath are with me. "

Concern about Chimaji

After that he writes about Chimaji Appa in the same letter. We read above that Chimaji had told Bajirao about his ill health in a letter earlier. So, Bajrao says here in this letter :

"The climate in Konkan is humid at present. Make sure that Chimaji does not go out into the open air. I know it is tempting to see ( the newly captured ) Vasai, but you ask him not to go there. Tell him to get his work done by the senior officers. Since, you are with him, you should guide him and advise him regularly about it."

Death of Chimaji

Bajirao died on 28th April 1740. Chimaji died almost 8 months after his brother, on 17th December 1740. This was due to a chest ailment with which Chimaji had suffered since childhood. Some historians identify it as tuberculosis. This ailment got worsened during the 2.5 months campaign against Nasir Jung in 1739-1740. We have references which state he suffered severe chest pain on 13th March 1740 while moving back towards Pune after victory against Nasir Jung. Then, again he took a rest of 3 days in first week of April 1740, at Pune to get some relief from the pain and also met his mother Radha Bai. Thereafter, he along with Nana Saheb engaged in a war with Sambhaji Angre. This ailment only worsened with time and finally proved fatal.

This was a quick post to give some idea about the last days of Mastani.

Link of all updates inside this thread are on Page - 1. Link : https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/139854215

Last update was on Page 30 about Mastani, Rakma Bai, Shivaji's coronation etc. Link : https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/143007792

Manzz thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
😃  😃  Aww, Thank  You    😃  😃

😃 😃  😳  😳 😃 😃 😳  Wonderful  And Detailed Information   ! ! 😉 😆  😳 😃 Interestingt  ! !  😳 😃  😉 😆 

😃 😳     😃  😃 😃