Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

babur1527 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
Originally posted by: nikii11

Hi this FF is awesome! Filled with politics .RG is kinda clever here.
And good thing is; Ashok goes with an army to fight against Keechak in Taxila, Unlike the show which showed him as One Man Army.
Love the fact that Ashok has many supporters. Even Ujjaini army is with him. Mm I kind of like that.
Please make Ahan leave the palace somehow. She can go to Guru Ashram to learn dance ,singing or warrior skills. For a change out of that PP palace, Cause in the palace all she does is think of Ashok ,And her character gets wasted . Can you make her Asandhimitra somehow.❓ 😃

Glad you are enjoying the story.

Ahankara is technically a political prisoner in the Patliputra palace. And she is staying there willingly because she has absolute faith that Ashok will take her back to her homeland one day. Then there is her brother. And she has her fair share of enemies and rivals in Ujjain. More on that later. 😉

But until Ashok returns from Taxilla he can't do anything. Nor can she. She could attempt to escape. But in my story the Magadh guards are not a bunch of clowns. 😛

Bold: I think I laid the foundations for that in chapter 8. 😆
Edited by babur1527 - 7 years ago
-ChildOfChrist- thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Glad you're back! 😊
Mai thodi der me aake comment karti hoon

~Reserved~

~Unres~

Update ka maza agaya!

I've always wanted to see Ashok like this
Loving all this war stuff!
Hope that Ashok's reinforcements arrive soon
I wish that the CVs would've shown something like this before the leap
Anyway..keep up the great work!

*rereading now*
Edited by crazyforsarun - 7 years ago
Niki. thumbnail
Guess this Edit suits your FF right now cause the story revolves around the battle of Taxila!! 😛
Edited by nikii11 - 7 years ago
babur1527 thumbnail
Originally posted by: crazyforsarun

Glad you're back! 😊
Mai thodi der me aake comment karti hoon

~Reserved~

~Unres~

Update ka maza agaya!

I've always wanted to see Ashok like this
Loving all this war stuff!
Hope that Ashok's reinforcements arrive soon
I wish that the CVs would've shown something like this before the leap
Anyway..keep up the great work!

*rereading now*

Glad you enjoyed it. 😆

I will try to update by tomorrow.
babur1527 thumbnail
Originally posted by: nikii11

Guess this Edit suits your FF right now cause the story revolves around the battle of Taxila!! 😛

Masha Allah. Wonderful edit Nikki. Very inspiring. 👏
-ChildOfChrist- thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Credit goes to the wonderful maker Nikki!

mistofshadows thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 5
And wasn't I surprised to see this!
I really hadn't expected you to update...I understand writer's block quite well, as I am suffering from it too in case of CAS.
Glad you are over it.

And so the two situations you juxtaposed were sheer brilliance.

Sushim and RG succeed in their mission but Ashok gets surrounded. Then again, he has more betrayers to think off.

i am really interested as to how he will wiggle out of this situation. I am sure a battle is imminent and I am going to get my favourite war scenes in the next update.
Will be waiting.

Niki
babur1527 thumbnail
Thanks for reading everyone. I am sorry but the chapter isn't complete yet. Will upload it tomorrow.
tr_eta thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Will be eagerly waiting for tommorow then.,update soon
babur1527 thumbnail

Chapter 16: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/135875524

A/N: Dedicated to Niki, Ramsha, Gargi, Mac, Khushi, Nonie, Shailusri, Vidhya, Sri and Shelly. My dedicated readers and sources of inspiration.

Also Rohini, Medha, Krystal and Kaana. Old loyal CAS viewers who loved Chanakya niti just as much as me. 

And finally my bros BB and Shyam who love Dharma and PS more than me. 

Chapter 17: Ferocious Defense

The sun was high in the heavens. It's blinding glare had spread over the horizons. But on the western side Ashok could see clouds forming in the distance.

Ashok looked down to see his infantry ready to fight. Ahead of him the line of archers stood waiting for his orders. They looked on with their hands fidgeting on their bows as Keechak's army approached the walls rapidly. Ashok spotted Keechak on his chariot, a safe distance away from the line of fire.

Ashok wasn't sure about his aptitude in regards to defending sieges. He only participated in only two siege situations. Once when he fought off the Ujjanis at Lakshagraha and the other when he fought against the Khursanies a few months ago. But they weren't actual sieges.

Acharya Akramak only taught him the basics. He knew the first wave of the soldiers were sacrificial lambs that were meant to exhaust the Dhanurdhan of the defenders.

Ashok closed his eyes and bent his head. His intention was to attack the Taxillian army at their camp and draw them away from the fort. However he did prepare some defensive measures should they fail to disperse the Taxillian army.

And the sound of screams brought a smile to Ashok's face. He opened his eyes to see Keechak's men falling into the shallow trenches and holes that were dug right before the plains that lead to the fort.

"Archers! Fire now!" Bhim Ji shouted from the other tower. And a storm of arrows rained on their enemies.

Keechak's eyes were wide with shock, his fist shaking with uncontained fury at the scene before him.

"YOU MONGRELS WILL PAY!" Keechak roared. His voice cracking with frustration. "ALL OF YOU CHARGE AT ONCE!"

"Prepare the defensive measures!" Bhim Ji shouted. Ashok spotted Rudra rushing towards the third tower. The Ujjaini archers lining up across the walls.

"Looks like I am a bit late." Rudra said with a wry smile. "Archers! Draw your bows!"

The locals at the fort were bringing pots up the ladders as Keechak's army rushed towards the fort. The defenders were all on standby as the frustrated Taxillian army rushed unimpeded towards the fort walls. As the ladders were lashed on to the walls the Magadh archers looked to each other nervously.

"Just be patient men." Ashok ordered. Bhim Ji ushered the pot carriers ahead. The locals stood by behind the archers. The Taxillians began scaling the walls.

Keechak was ordering his men to get the siege units into range. And familiar screams reached his ears. He turned around to see his men falling from the walls as they were engulfed in flames. Another rain of arrows soon followed and the first line of the Taxillian army were simply overwhelmed as the arrows decimated their bodies.

Keechak smashed his fist on the chariot rails. Before he could issue an order he heard shouts and curses from his men on the other side. To his horror Keechak saw the siege machines were sinking into the ground.

The Magadh soldiers cheered gleefully as they heard the maniacal roar from the Mahanayak of Taxilla as his forces were repelled.

The leaders of the defenders gathered as the forces regrouped.

"Sheer genius Bhim Ji." Rudra said to the Magadh Senapati.

"Plaudits are due to Rajkumar Ashok as well." Bhim Ji said with a smile. "I just set the traps on the path to the fort. Using burning wood and oil as incendiaries to repel the first wave was Rajkumar's Ashok's idea."

"It was a bit of a gamble." Ashoka said sheepishly. "We only fought off the first wave. And it's a matter of time before Keechak realizes the traps are only set on the front side of the fort."

"That is correct." Bhim Ji his smile faltering. "We need to hold them off for as long as possible. Hopefully Aadarsh is on his way back. If the cavalry can arrive in time to mount a surprise attack this siege can be easily broken."

"Devrat and the rest should have realized by now that lady Nazia and Keechak are not heading to the Hindu Kush." Ashok said nervously. "What is keeping them?"

Far away in the mountains

Devrat and the combined Magadh army were fighting off their enemies as they tried to steer away from the treacherous ravines. If they were forced into the ravine the Ashwa won't be able to move. It was just their luck that were ambushed just as they spoke of it. Clouds were forming above them. Devrat only had one thing going on in his mind.

Keechak had secured support so quickly. How?

Aadarsh had managed bring all his Ashwa into order. The initial charge of the attackers had caught the Magadh army off guard and disoriented them. But thankfully they were able to regroup before it was too late. 

Shunga stood on the precipice observing the proceedings with his bow ready on his left arm. He grunted with frustration and pain. Pain that was inflicted by his Mahanayak for his failure. Frustration at fact that yet another ambush was failing. He pull his bowstring and aimed towards the Acharya that has been a thorn ever since he stepped foot into Taxilla.

Saroj hurled his spear at the archer that was aiming for Devrat. The spear missed but the archer was thrown off the precipice. Saroj drew his sword as a spear thrust towards his neck. With a flash he parried the spear. He turned towards his enemy and charged at him.

Devrat could see the path leading back to their base. But it was going to take some doing to fight through. Something flashed in the corner of his eyes. He instinctively leaped back to dodge a slash aimed at his neck. Devrat could feel the wind of the blade blowing off the beads of sweat around his throat.

Devrat looked up to see his opponent. He gave him a wry grin upon recognizing who it was.

"Nayak." Devrat said to his former compatriot. "You seem to be doing well."

Nayak didn't say anything. Instead he growled and charged at Devrat. Devrat deftly spun around and evaded Nayak once again.

"You are holding back old friend." Devrat taunted. "What's wrong? I thought it was a duty to serve your Swami."

Nayak's eyes contorted with rage. He leapt up swing the blade with a terrifying roar.

Devrat simply smirked and raised his own sword to meet Nayak's blade. The two blades clashed as thunder struck above them in the clouds.

In Patliputra

A storm was raging in the capital of Magadh. A stream of people were heading towards the Patliputra palace to seek shelter from the rising water and the lighting strikes.

The royals and the acharyas had sheltered themselves on the throne room. Outside the crowd was increasing steadily. The whole palace was buzzing.

Bindusar sat on the throne as he discussed with the soldiers the possible measures they could take should the storm last into the night.

"Double the guards around the prisons." Bindusar ordered his Mahamatya. "Our prisons still contain the Khurasani soldiers we captured. And Sudheshan. So we must remain on guard."

Khalnatak nervously nodded as the Brahmins murmured.

Siyamak was pacing nearby, his hands fidgeting nervously. He spotted Subhao and Vasunandan talking to the students of the Rajkiya Vidyale.

"We need to ensure that the food supplies remain dry." Vasunandan said to the youths before him.

"Therefore, we will be assisting the soldiers to secure the store rooms and sheds. Is that clear?" Subaho finished.

"Why do we have to do it?" One of the students grumbled.

"Because it is our responsibility." Subhao said proudly.

"How is it our responsibility?" Another asked. Subhao's eye twitched.

"Listen." They all turned to see Siyamak. "We need to assist the soldiers wherever we can. Right now they are setting up accommodations for the Praja. They need men at the sheds. If we don't stand guard, people might start looting."

"Why would they loot?" A diminutive royal asked.

"Why wouldn't they?" Siyamak retorted irritably. "They will get hungry. The palace doesn't have enough food for all of us. And the storm has ruined all the supplies in the city. So we have to rationalize. People can be unruly when their stomachs are empty."

There was a murmur of general agreement.

"Alright then." Subhao said cheerfully. "Let's go."

As Subhao lead the students out of the court Vasunandan nudged Subhao's side with his elbow.

"Keep it up. Ashok will be proud of you." Vasunandan winked. "Maybe he will set you up with Rajkumari Nalini."

"Shut up." Subhao snapped.

Behind Bindusar, partitioned by the curtains Dharma, Subrasi and Ahankara were seated together with Charumitra and Helena on the other side. Charumitra throwing dark looks at Dharma who stared blankly into the curtains.

"What's wrong Rani Dharma?" Subrasi asked. Dharma didn't say anything.

"Rani Dharma?" Ahankara patted her shoulder. Dharma shook her head and moved closer to Subrasi.

"My heart feels like it's going to explode." Dharma said in a low voice.

"The storm is not that bad." Subrasi said looking around. "Everything seems to be under control."

"It's not that. I have a bad feeling that Ashok is in grave danger." Dharma said worriedly. Ahankara's stomach churned. Her messenger still waited nearby. Samrat Bindusar had declined Ahankara's offer to call for soldiers. Understandably so, with Patliputra so short of soldiers it wasn't prudent. To call an army from another Kingdom in such a situation was asking for trouble, especially so as her people were on the brink of rebellion. From what Archarya Radhagupt had told her, things were very tense in Ujjain.  Acharya Rudra's words couldn't have much effect to placate their grievances. There were even rumors of another royal family taking the throne. And they have not heard from Acharya Radhagupt ever since he departed for Tosali. Ahankara dug her nails into her palm. Things seemed to be only getting worse and worse.

Back at the Fort...

Keechak had reorganized his besieging army into 5 divisions. He realized that the ground on the sides and the rear of the fort were solid enough for his siege engines. He ordered his soldiers to mount another attack to draw the fire of the archers away as they moved the siege engines into position.

Ashok saw the armies of his enemy lining up. A grim expression set on his face. He expected it. Keechak was a Kshatriya King. He was the former Maha Yoddha of Magadh. He was trained by Acharya Chanakya and his Pitamha, Chandragupt Maurya. He was seasoned warrior. He knew how to fight. He knew how to lead battles. The difference between them weighed on Ashok's mind like a heavy mountain on his shoulders. It wasn't going to be easy. But Ashok had the support of soldiers. He steeled his resolve and ignored his doubts.

"God is with the righteous. Dharm will prevail over Adharm no matter what." Ashok shouted as his soldiers readied to battle. "Har har Mahadev!" Ashok bellowed. His army responded with reverberating roars.

"Archers get ready!" Bhim Ji shouted. The combined army prepared to fire as their enemies approached them from all sides.

"Steady!" Rudra warned. "Do not waste your shots men!"

"FIRE NOW." Ashok roared as the maximum targets came into range. The sky above the Taxillian army darkened once more as arrows rained on them.

"Men take cover!" Bhim Ji shouted as finally the Taxillian archers had gotten into range to fire back. Casualties were heavier on the Taxillian army. But the fight was a long way to go. Ashok's throat went dry as the overwhelming numbers drew closer and closer. The archers fired relentlessly. But the Taxillian army also charged ahead with the same determination. Their numbers were starting to show its effect.

Ashok spotted Balgovind amongst the locals supplying the archers with arrows for their quivers. Ashok called him. Balgovind rushed towards him.

"Mitra." Ashok said quietly. "You remember the passages they showed to us?"

Balgovind nodded. Two nights ago Ashok took Balgovind with the sentries of the fort. They showed the entrance to an underground passage that lead to the forest. It was a set of long winding mazes that lead to various destinations.

"Here. Take this." Ashok said handing him a pouch that contained a map of the maze and the Mauryan Mudra. "If the worst comes to worst, I want you to escape with as many as possible."

"But Rajkumar-" Balgovind began.

"Listen." Ashok snapped. "We have to prepare for every possibility."

Balgovind gulped and nodded. A young brahmin and a few other locals stopped before Ashok. They were the first prisoners that Ashok set free after liberating the fort.

"We are not abandoning you Rajkumar Ashok." the Brahmin said determinedly. "Win, lose or die. We do it alongside you."

"Dhadhich." Ashok said trying to not let the despair in his mind show. "I have to protect you all. It is my duty to do so."
"Yes." A wily youth said from the side. "And it is our duty to protect you. You are our Prince."

"Rajkumar Ashok." said another from Dhadich's side. "If anyone needs to survive. It's you."

"But Gautam-" Ashok said as he heard the ladders smashing against the wall.

"You have risked your life for us Rajkumar Ashok. The fact that you are thinking of our safety before yours only reinforces our loyalty and our faith in you." Gautam said with a smile. "Your life is more precious than commoners like us. You are the symbol of hope. You will free us from the tyranny of Keechak."

Ashok was touched by the loyalty of the Taxillians. He only knew them for a few days. But the fierce loyalty they showed him made Ashok's heart well with emotion. He had only rescued them from prison and now they were ready to die for him. He steeled his eyes and clenched his fists.

"We are not losing." Ashok said determinedly. "We will not lose. I promise you."

Dhadich and the rest nodded.

"I need you to organize our internal defenses." Ashok said quickly. "Our archers will be pushed back. It's only a matter of time. Arm everyone with whatever you can. And tell our engineers to prepare our catapults. We will roll them out after we drive out the enemy."

Gautam nodded. "As you command your highness. Let's go." Gautam quickly lead them away.

Balgovind thrust the pouch back into Ashok's hands. He knelt before him. Ashok was taken aback.

"I have betrayed you once Rajkumar Ashok." Balgovind said shakily. "And I swore to God that I won't betray you again. Please don't make me leave your side."

Ashok sighed. "Stand up mitra." Ashok grasped his shoulders and pulled Balgovind up. "We will win today."

Balgovind smiled. "Yes."

"Rajkumar Ashok we should prepare the infantry and pull our archers back." Bhim Ji shouted. Ashok heard the Ram battering against the gates.

"Do it!" Ashok shouted back. He threw away his bow and drew his sword. Ashok turned towards his infantry. "Protect the archers! Everyone get into position!"

The men quickly scrambled to their posts. The archers steadily pulled back. The Magadh and the Ujjaini infantry clashed with their Taxillian counterparts on the edge of the walls.

Ashok heard the crashing sound of the breaking timbers the gate was smashed way. The archers lined up in the center.

"Ready!" Rudra drew his sword. The Taxilian army began pouring through.

"FIRE NOW!" Ashok shouted and a fierce volley was unleashed on to the oncoming besiegers.

"Draw your swords!" Ashok shouted raising his sword. "Drive them out!" And with a valiant roar Ashok charged into the thick of the battle with his royal guards close by. Inspired by their Prince's bravery, the Magadh army fought back with more verve.

Rudra and Senapati Bhim carefully positioned the archers on the platforms so that they can pick their targets without too much difficulty. The Taxillian army had broken through. But the momentum was controlled the defenders. Ashok carefully drew back making sure the enemy didn't realize that he was deliberately drawing them into the fort. The archers stood by ready to fire. The two armies were at a deadlock, their shields and swords pushing against one another.

"You Magadh scum came here to die?" One of them taunted.

"We will see who dies!" Ashok shouted back. "NOW!" Ashok roared. The Taxillian locals who were waiting in hiding rushed out and attacked besiegers from the flanks. And with a violent shove the Magadh army began hacking the Taxillian army who were simply overwhelmed. The archers from their platforms fired into the oncoming army at the gates.

Ashok and his men fought on with rigor and determination. Slowly and streadily they drove their enemies out of the fort.

Keechak saw his army being beaten back from the distance. He sighed. The result was expected at this point. He knew that blindly charging into the fort will not overwhelm them. But they had served their purpose. His siege engines were in position.

"Order the men to pull back." Keechak ordered the sentry who bowed and promptly rushed off.

"What do you think Mahanand?" Keechak asked to the increasingly apprehensive Hindu chief. "Do you think I am going to win?"

"Seems unlikely." Mahanand scoffed.

"You dare doubt our Mahanayak?!" said a regally armored soldier next to Keechak.

"Bhairav!" Keechak growled, the soldier flinched. "You are talking to the Var of my Kingdom!"

"I am sorry Mahanayak." Bhairav said fearfully. Keechak relaxed. There was a calm smile on his face that was scaring Bhairav even more.

"Just wait and watch my friend." Keechak said as he raised his arm signaling the siege engines. The onagers and the catapults let loose as lighting flashed on the skies.

Hope you enjoyed it. Next update should be up by Thursday.

Chapter 18: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/136249046

Edited by babur1527 - 7 years ago