Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

fatimarahaman thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
My dear Hema ,I am deeply touched by  your kind words!❀️Thank you from the bottom of my heart for boosting my confidence to write.πŸ€— That really means a lot!! Your looking forward to reading to reading my FF forum,that's is such a huge, huge compliment,coming from a brilliant writer like you.!! I am definitely looking into it.Hema, you are such a sweet and kind person!πŸ˜ƒ You are right your FF is also unique in the sense it has built a interactive online community( online family like Madhu said) where there  is so much warmth and Aapna pan and it has been indeed a very special experience! But please do consider writing a novel in the future,even your mom will be happy.😊 Thank you for the Eid wishes also.β€οΈπŸ€—
_.serendipity._ thumbnail

Originally posted by: tikit

Hema, i do know that online interacting is definitely good and a community sort of thing is build up but both the things have their own charms. In todays times online community is a good thing but writing a novel is a good option too. I actually think that as os on fifty shades os sahir would be a good thing so hema, why don't you write one shade of him and then people can take turn to write one or more shades of sahir which will be interesting to see and then it can be turned into a novel combining all aspects of it.

If you do write a novel do notify me.

Ps. Really eager to read the last chapter of ff but sad too as it wiill be your last chapter of this season.

Thanks for all the encouragement Eshita! πŸ€— And your idea sounds great. I would not be having much time on my hands, but you should definitely go for it! πŸ˜ƒ

Originally posted by: fatimarahaman

My dear Hema ,I am deeply touched by  your kind words!❀️Thank you from the bottom of my heart for boosting my confidence to write.πŸ€— That really means a lot!! Your looking forward to reading to reading my FF forum,that's is such a huge, huge compliment,coming from a brilliant writer like you.!! I am definitely looking into it.Hema, you are such a sweet and kind person!πŸ˜ƒ You are right your FF is also unique in the sense it has built a interactive online community( online family like Madhu said) where there  is so much warmth and Aapna pan and it has been indeed a very special experience! But please do consider writing a novel in the future,even your mom will be happy.😊 Thank you for the Eid wishes also.β€οΈπŸ€—

Aww, you are too kind! I cannot thank you enough  πŸ€— I am so glad that you will be posting your stories as well. Even though I will not be around much, I will make it a point to log on to read your writings! SO excited!
And "apnapan" is the perfect word to describe what this space has grown to become β€οΈ

Ek Khoobsurat Safar ka Aghaaz

(Thanks to Fatima for this perfect title and BornThisWay for the banner)

Arzoo's heart was soaring, laughing, dancing in the rhythm of the raindrops splattering over the car windows. She watched, in lazy fascination, as the drops of water turned into indolent rivulets that meandered across the fogged glass. Everything, even the most commonplace of things, had been suffused with an unprecedented radiance - everything was artistic, magical, Sahir-like.

Sahir was smiling too. She could see his face crinkling up slightly out of the corner of her eyes. They had not spoken much since they had entered his car, but she strongly felt as though their silences were singing to each other, reminiscing happily about the moments they had shared, about their dreams and many unspoken promises to each other.

She stole a surreptitious glance at the knot in her dupatta, and felt herself blush once again as she remembered how his eyes had misted over with emotion when he had told her that he loved her, as she remembered how he had held her hand against his throbbing chest and taken a step towards her... how he had gently brought his face closer to hers, and lowered his eyes until they came to rest on her lips.

There had been an undeniable softness interwoven with the intensity of his gaze, a gentle insistence, which had pulled her towards him, melting away all her inhibitions into a blissfully light-headed blur. The tenderness of the yearning with which his warm breaths had mingled with hers had made her feel needed and cherished in a way that she had never felt before, causing the tiniest of tears to leak out of the corner of her eye. And slowly, he had leaned in, nuzzled his lips lightly along the side of her cheek, and placed, at the spot where the teardrop was resting, a lingering, soft, whisper-like kiss filled with all the sweetness of the world.

Overcome with shyness, she had buried herself in his embrace, and with a smile in his tone as he rested his head against hers, he had repeated that he loved her. His love for her was no secret. He had proven it to her in countless ways. Yet, to hear him say those three words, with such unaffected sincerity, such simplicity had caused a warm wave of happiness to wash over her, submerging her, soaking into every pore of her being.

And the same happiness glowed within her then, as she remembered the smallest of sensations that were snuggled within that moment.

Suddenly, the car stopped. The rain had stopped too. They had reached her apartment. And suddenly, without warning, a swirl of sickening fears churned in the pit of her stomach. She felt the colour drain from her face, and every part of her body turned to ice, as a painful chill rushed down her spine.

"Arzoo?" Sahir enquired, concerned.

And she realised that those moments of unbridled, carefree joy had been stolen moments after all. Like the rainbow shimmers that whirled in the translucent soap bubbles that she liked to play with as a child, her escapes into the reveries of a perfect, painless world, were ultimately transient, doomed to burst into millions of tiny droplets, at the slightest touch from the jagged edges of reality. Reality...

Reality was the apartment waiting for her upstairs... the broken doors of her bedroom and bathroom, the stench of Shiraz's cigarettes, the echoes of his snores in the bed where he had lain, the plate he had eaten in, his clothes and other possessions, the things he had touched, the things he had said, the things he had done. Upon leaving the police station, she had gone directly to Sahir's apartment, and it was only now that she would be going to hers. To her reality, which lay in the memories that would never cease to haunt her, even as Sahir continued to strive to create a new world for her.

She turned to look at Sahir and shook her head, smilingly, as she said, "I will see you tomorrow. Good night, Sahir."

"I will drop you to your door," he replied, unconvinced. He was Sahir after all. He could read through her attempts to shield away her pain, to feign normalcy in the face of the turmoil brewing within her. She began to brush away his concerns, but he had made up his mind.

A part of her rejoiced with gratitude that she had found in him such unwavering support, that she had been blessed with somebody who would always understand her and stand by her.

But for the most part, she felt her insides wring with guilt. After so long, she had seen him smile wholeheartedly. And there she was, after the beautiful moments they had shared - back to making everything about herself and her never-ending troubles. He would comfort her, she would be comforted. As usual. And once again, she would become so caught up in the quagmires of her past, that she would lose sight of Sahir, of his pain, his needs, his wishes. She hated that she felt like a burden on him, fettering away his chances for true, wholesome happiness. She loved him so much... with a kind of desperation, almost... a burning desperation to give him everything of the best, to bring all the world's joys at his feet. But ironically, she was the one who stood in the way of what she ached for.

She took a deep breath and steadied herself. They had reached the door of her apartment. She thought back to the glorious moment where he had beaten up Shiraz at the police station so that she could conjure a heartfelt smile, and turned to him.

"Thanks," she said, as brightly as she could. But even she knew that she sounded overly cheery.

"Won't you invite me inside?" he asked, with a knowing tone lacing his words.

Defeated, she opened the door to the rancid odour of Shiraz's cigarettes. Sahir walked around the apartment, wordlessly inspecting every nook and corner, and Arzoo followed him, powerlessly. He saw the broken doors, he saw the ropes in the bathroom, he saw the broken glasses, the things that had been flung around, her ripped clothes that were scattered on the bedroom floor, the belt that had been used to whip her. It was all there, an open book.

When he turned to look at her, there were helpless tears erupting in his eyes, welling up in red pools of raw fury. A storm was raging within him, imploding in his veins, causing his entire body to quake.

"You stayed with him so that he would not hurt me," he mumbled hoarsely, sounding disgusted with himself. As if it was his fault.

Arzoo smiled weakly as she snaked her hands around his waist and pulled herself into his embrace, gripping the back of his shaking shoulders with fierce protectiveness, as she whispered, "It's over, it's okay. You rescued me, remember?"

His arms hung limply by his sides for a few minutes, before he slowly wrapped them around her frame. And together, clinging to each other as one would to life itself, they sobbed soundlessly, for each other. She felt herself succumb to waves of overwhelming relief as she realised just how much she needed him, how much courage she derived from his mere presence. With him by her side, the nightmares embedded in every inch of the apartment no longer gloated at her, basking in their former invincibility. They were the past, but Sahir was the present, the future, everything. She breathed in his warm musky scent deeply, until it seemed to seep in through her bones, until she felt herself melt into it.

"You won't stay here, at least not for tonight," he said, when they eventually broke apart, "Please pack your things."

"Sahir," she protested, "You don't have to worry about me. I'm okay. I felt uneasy in the car earlier... about having to face... all this. I had... forgotten. But I feel much better now. Really. I just need to clear the mess, and... I'll be okay."

To be honest, she really was not sure that she would be okay once he left. But she tried to force in her words every semblance of confidence that was required to convince him.

He let out a short exasperated sigh.

"You're so stubborn," he muttered, his jaw tightening with barely suppressed irritation, "Now if you could just quit channeling your inner Jhansi ki rani for a minute, that would be great."

"Wh-what?" Arzoo spluttered out, unable to contain a giggle. For some reason, the way his lips thinned and his chin quivered when he was annoyed made him look irresistibly cute, like a petulant child.

"Yes, Jhansi ki rani!" came the affirmation, "You won't become small if you allowed yourself to stay at my place tonight."

"Which reminds me," he added, his tone softening to a concerned whisper, "You wouldn't have applied any ointment to your... bruises, right?"

She shook her head, as her face broke into an indulgent grin. The mention of her bruises should have reminded her of how humiliated Shiraz had made her feel, but all she saw was the adorable expression of exasperation etched on Sahir's face. It felt nice, for a change, to let go and allow herself to be looked after, without worrying about seeming dependent and vulnerable. This was Sahir after all - the one person with whom she felt entirely, undeniably safe.

"I have some ointment at my place," he said, "Pack your things, please. And Zaki is also there, so this way you will get to spend more time with him before he leaves for Delhi."

"Yes, Mr Chaudhary," she replied, trying to sound weary, but chuckling secretly as she made her way to get her bags.

"That's better. Oh and suno, I love you."

It was a good thing that she had her back turned to him, because inevitably, Arzoo blushed... yet again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Scroll down for more)

Edited by _.serendipity._ - 8 years ago

It felt to Arzoo as though she had only slept for a few minutes, when sunlight came streaming onto her face. Eyes still closed, she soaked in the warmth and hopes trickling through the rays of light. The bed felt unfamiliar at first, and then she remembered that she was in Sahir's apartment. Zaki was sleeping in the guest bedroom when they had arrived the previous night, and Sahir had insisted that she sleep in his bed, while he took the couch.

She let out a sigh of contentment as she thought of Sahir. She wanted to wake up and go to him, but her entire body ached with fatigue from all those nights of relentless insomnia. She pulled the covers onto her eyes to shield them from the burning light and felt herself drift away and free fall into the upsurge of another beautiful dream.

Right before her mind dwindled away into blissful oblivion, she thought she heard someone draw the curtains shut, after which she felt a small kiss on the top of her head. Although, she figured, it could well have been part of the dream.

When she awoke next, it was to the sound of voices that seemed to be bickering with one another. It took her some time before she recognized them as Sahir and Zaki's.

"You're hopeless," Zaki was saying, "I told you to get her flowers. How on earth did you manage to understand that to mean a frikkin' bird?"

"Flowers wither away after a few days," Sahir's voice replied, "I thought that a companion is the best gift."

"Dude, I am the undisputed king of romance. All the girls swoon over me. I am the most reliable person when it comes to dating advice. And I'm telling you, bhai, there is nothing even remotely romantic about that bird. You might as well get her a hammer. It will never die, I assure you."

"Guys, what's going on?" Arzoo asked groggily, stifling a yawn, as she stumbled into the living room, still unsteady on her feet. She blinked at the wall clock. It was almost noon.

"Arzoo," Sahir said, his voice trailing away uncertainly, "I got you a gift."

Her heavy eyelids parted sluggishly to reveal a majestic grey parrot perched on Sahir's arm, nibbling at his watch. It was instantly endearing, with its little red tail, its bright eyes, and what distinctly felt like a mischievous smile in the curvature of its beak. 

"Wow," she gasped, beaming at him happily, "I love it! Thank you so, so much! It's really beautiful."

"It's a she," Sahir said, more confidently this time, as he raised his eyebrows at Zaki triumphantly.

"Seriously?" the self-proclaimed king of romance responded, shaking his head in disbelief, "Girls like parrots? I don't get it. What's wrong with you, Arzoo?"

Arzoo erupted joyfully in peals of hearty laughter, as she intoned, "Kuch kuch hota hai, Zaki, tum nahin samjhoge!"

And, she was struck once again by how, despite everything that had happened, she was still the same Arzoo, and he was the same Zaki. The ones who had endless cups of cutting chai between (and during) classes and spoke in dialogues and songs from Hindi movies.

She looked at Sahir. He was all smiles, and his eyes were twinkling as he gazed at her. She could tell that he was possibly even happier than she was, at the fact that laughter had blossomed back into her life. She tried to convey through her eyes that none of it would have been possible without him. Without him, she would still have been feigning happiness and secretly craving for respite.

But of course, Zaki had to butt in, singing in his choicest nasal tone, "Aankhon hi aankhon mein, ishaara ho gaya, khade khade jeene ka sahaara mil gayaaa..."

Which obviously earned him a well-aimed punch on the shoulder from Arzoo, as she giggled, "You just wait, Zaki ke bacche! When it's your turn, I will tease you to death."

Deep inside, she felt a burst of gratitude overwhelm her, as she remembered how Zaki had teased her on her return from the police station, and how his playful shenanigans had led to her realising the reason why Sahir was distancing himself from her. If it were not for him, she would have probably remained confused and hurt, and Sahir would have continued to ache in stoic silence. But understandably, as a matter of principle, she could not let that annoying little monkey know how utterly brilliant he had been. She shook herself out of her thoughts.

"Yes," Sahir had piped in, "Wait till Samaira gets here."

"Who's Samaira?" Arzoo said, "Wait a second. You have a girlfriend, and you told Sahir, but not me?"

"No, no, Arzoo," Sahir quipped, his voice dripping with saracasm, "It's not like Zaki has changed sides, and is on my side now!"

"Careful, bhai," Zaki said, "I know that look. When her mouth opens wide like that, it means she is about to hit you."

"Shut up," she retorted, "Who's this Samaira?"

"You know Samaira, yaar! Samaira Rehman? She was in college with us, remember? She's settled in Chicago now, so we hooked up again."

"Samaira Rehman? I don't like her," Arzoo said flatly.

"Come on, you don't like any of my girlfriends," Zaki pouted.

"Because you have terrible taste. Seriously, she's a total bimbo and she's kind of mean as well. What do you even see in her? Is it the evil curls?"

"What on earth are evil curls?" Zaki chuckled, "You're just saying that because she's hot and you're jealous. But you are my Jahanaara, the queen of my world! You will always be the most beautiful person to me."

"Stop buttering me up," Arzoo snapped, "This discussion is not over, young man."

"But for now," she added, smiling at the parrot which was now clawing her way up her arm, "We need a name for this little one."

"Samaira..." Zaki sighed dreamily, just to annoy her. Arzoo ignored him, as well as all his other subsequent suggestions which included Crime Master Gogo, Godrej... and even Bakri for some utterly unfathomable reason.

They eventually settled on 'Asharfi', which Arzoo felt was perfect, because she truly was a most precious gift.

(Scroll down for more) 

Arzoo looked up from her notes as a flutter of wings made its way into the room. Zaki had gone out to visit a friend, Sahir was preparing for the hearing of one of his upcoming cases, and she had sat herself down at his desk to study. Asharfi, of course, was flying around the apartment, exploring the different rooms, tilting her head side to side curiously when she came across a new object. She seemed very happy to be out of the cage that she had been confined to, and occasionally let out what sounded suspiciously like a high-pitched cackle.

Arzoo glanced at the time; it was nearly six. She had not even realised that she had been studying for hours on end. Now that she was slowly being freed from all the pain that had been swamping her, shackling her to her past, her dreams appeared to have inched closer to her reach. Hope had begun to dawn upon her once again, filling her with an abundance of enthusiasm and energy.

That being said, a chai break was definitely in order. She made her way out of the room to go and see what Sahir was up to, and found that the dining table looked like it had been ravaged by a hurricane.

"Ya Allah!" she exclaimed, "What is this, Sahir? Your papers are everywhere."

Sahir stopped pacing across the room, and looked at her, seeming slightly disoriented, in the way that he usually did when his thoughts were interrupted.

"What?" he replied, "No, no, no. Don't touch anything. I have organized everything in a way that makes sense. I need everything to stay exactly as it is."

"Fine," she rolled her eyes, "I am making myself some tea. You want coffee?"

"Oh yes," he beamed, "I definitely need a break. Thanks!"

A few minutes later, they took their mugs and made their way to the rooftop of the block of flats. It was dusty and grimy and had a distinctly unfinished feel to it, but it was oddly perfect.

They leaned on the ledge, and looked at the jumble of shapes assembled haphazardly into buildings, pointing out to each other the seemingly mundane signs of life scattered among them - the potted plants, the clothes lines, the satellite dishes, and other people, who, like them, were outside in their terraces or rooftops, taking in the chaotic scenery.

A pale pink hue was washing over the sky as the sun began to hover closer to the horizon. It filled Arzoo with an inexplicable sense of nostalgia. Many things had changed. Some painful times had ended, there had been new beginnings filled with promise. But there were still memories that pulled at her heartstrings, memories she wished had not become so distant. And she knew that Sahir felt the same, even if he was not usually as vocal about his feelings.

She turned towards him, "I've been meaning to apologise to you."

"For what?" 

"I wasn't there with you when your Ammi ... at the time of her funeral, I mean. I left you all alone in a time when... I'm really sorry."

His eyes welled with helpless tears as he said, "You don't have to apologise. I understand... I just... I just wish I had introduced her to you. She would have been so happy. Her last words were that I should find myself a companion, a humsafar. I wish she could see that I did find you after all."

"She knows," Arzoo said, grasping his hand tightly, "She knows everything. She lives within you, and always will."

Sahir choked back a sob. "You really think so?" he asked in a strangled voice, his eyes displaying a most heartwrenching sense of yearning.

She nodded silently, fighting to contain her tears.

"You miss your parents too, don't you?" he said softly, rubbing his thumb over her knuckles.

Arzoo looked away, as tears dropped from her eyes treacherously, and her body began to rack with violent sobs.

Sahir threw his arm around her, and gently pulled her towards him, comfortingly, as he reminded her of what she had said once, "It's not easy to leave the people that we love, right?"

"Going back is not easy either," she whispered, finally voicing out the thoughts that had been too painful for her to even acknowledge, "To face the distrust and anger in their eyes... To see that I am nothing but a disappointment to them, a reason for them to hang their heads in shame. It would break my heart, again. I don't have the strength..."

And she broke down completely, to the point where even the air seemed to burn through her lungs, suffocating her... because, surely, in the face of such vicious torment, death could only be a welcome respite. She could have tolerated their anger, but their rejection shattered her in a way that caused her to question everything she had once believed to be true... to be central to her very existence.

For a long time, Sahir said nothing and simply held her against him, strongly. She closed her eyes and gradually felt her sobs lessen as her body relaxed in the soothing warmth of his embrace. It was her little heaven, her little haven... amidst all the pain, the one place where somehow, miraculously, everything felt right. She breathed deeply and felt as though the world around them began to dissolve away, as though the clocks stopped ticking, allowing them a few instants of solace. A few instants of temporary solace.

"When I went for Ammi's funeral," Sahir said, finally, "I met Pervez sa'ab, you know, the person she had married. We had a long conversation. He told me that Ammi would have liked me to make peace with... my father. He said that sometimes, when distances grow in relationships, we end up forming opinions on the other person. To deal with our hurt, we allow those opinions to become so deeply engrained in us, that we fail to realise that with time, people change, and that somewhere, deep inside, despite everything, parents are parents after all. And we can never know if there ever was a chance for reconciliation, unless someone takes the first step. I am not sure if he's right, and I am not sure if I am ready to take the first step in my case, but I... want you to know that I get it. I understand how you feel. It's not easy at all."

Arzoo smiled, and said after some time, as it gradually dawned upon her, "You know what the best thing is, Sahir? That whenever we'll feel ready - if at all - we know we won't be alone. We'll have each other to lean back on. Always."

The sky was now painted with vibrant fiery swatches of colour, as the hazy ruby orb in the distance began to dip into the horizon. Soon, the night would settle in. And after that, a new day would begin.

There you go, wonderful readers - the final chapter (for the time being, hopefully).

Two things before I leave you.

First, the chapter has no title, yet. I will insert the title suggested by the first person to comment with a chapter title. No matter what you (i.e the first person) suggest, that will be the title, even if it's something completely out of topic like "Kurti Aapa, tussi great ho." This is as much your story as it is mine, and you have every right to name this chapter as crazily as you want to πŸ˜›

(For those who are wondering if they missed something - no, Kurti Aapa is not a character in this FF).

Edit: The chapter now has a title! and it is perfect! Thanks, Fatima <3 

Thanks also to lovesick23 and Eshita for your suggestions which came just a few minutes after Fatima's. I just love that everyone had something along the lines of "beginnings" in mind! πŸ˜ƒ So in a way, even if the final chapter title is not exactly what you suggested, it kinda is? πŸ˜›

Second, the FF has a number of silent readers who never fail to "like" the updates - which I really appreciate! Some of you may not even be in the PM list (just because I've not been very organized with adding people to the PM list - sorry), and you still regularly show your appreciation for the updates, which is awesome. I know that sometimes one may not feel comfortable expressing one's views in words, and I completely understand that because as much as I am a chatterbox online, I can be extremely shy and awkward in real life. But, because this is the last chapter, I would reeeally like it if you broke the silence this one time, even if it's just by a few words. And if you're not quite sure what to say, I would love if you could just share which is your favourite chapter or moment or character in the FF. Just a few words, that's it. It would mean so much to me! But if you don't feel up to it, that's fine as well. Thanks for sticking around! 

Javeria3991 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
awesome 
can't wait to read more
fatimarahaman thumbnail
My dear Hema, what a fantastic finale to season 1.!!πŸ‘πŸ‘ I just loved it.I am going to read it slowly again and savor it.That was an awesome Eidhi!As for the title,the dialog from the serial which came to my mind was when on Arzoo's birthday ,Sahir tells Arzoo to get ready and meet him outside she asks him where are we going ?He says something like Nayi aur khubsoorat yadein jama karne. So maybe something Ek Khoobsurat Safar ka Agaaz? I will comment in detail. Thanks you so so much, my dear friend.πŸ€—
lovesick23 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
"A new beginning"
And I'm one of those irritating "i never comment and only hit like" reader's :p
This was beautiful dreamy even and your English is goals xD
tikit thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Well, the last chapter was according to me a long one but i felt like reading it again and again. How about the title - zindagi- ek nayi shuruwat which means life's new beginning. Will be commenting after reading it once more. Hema, i think you should write at least one more chapter. I know good things do come to an end but if you feel like writing one more chapter i really will be happy. Btw its a nice eidi in the form of your ff. i guess its not the end its a beginning of a new relationships as arzoo is free from the shackles of her past.

Ha ha sahir got asharfi as a gift for flowers for arzoo but arzoo was happy to see asharfi. The bickering of sahir and zaki was that of husband and wife. Too cute. Hoping to see you around in the forum. Do come back with season 2 of humsafars and just come back fast.. Happy eid to all of you out there.
Tajon thumbnail
Hema it's wonderfull ending..you are amazing writer ..thanks for pm..and once again lovely end