Arhi SS: Tewari & Sons, No. 23, Chandni Chowk (THREAD I) - Page 58

Posted: 9 years ago
Originally posted by YellowBoots

How time flies when you have a fanfic update to post πŸ˜†
I just got back home from work a couple of hours back. What do I do for a living, you ask? Yes, my work is pretty shady, my mom and our apartment watchman, both will concede πŸ˜›
I have actually written the next chapter, but it still needs to be proofed and cleaned up. But, since they say write drunk, edit sober, I am going to sleep now and will post in the morning-ish. Pucca. Sorry again. I usually manage my time well, except like never.

LOL, Radhika, even your notes are interesting and full of mystery to read just like your story.πŸ˜†

I just got back home from work a couple of hours back. What do I do for a living, you ask? Yes, my work is pretty shady, my mom and our apartment watchman, both will concede πŸ˜›
I have actually written the next chapter, but it still needs to be proofed and cleaned up. But, since they say write drunk, edit sober, I am going to sleep now and will post in the morning-ish. Pucca. Sorry again. I usually manage my time well, except like never.

Are you working for RAW / CBI? πŸ˜†
Originally posted by jduke

Are you working for RAW / CBI? πŸ˜†

Or maybe secret service agent of the US government stationed in India???  πŸ˜†

even your notes are interesting Radhika.. no worries..sleep comes first..we will wait..
btw Jay and Kavi have already guessed what you might be doing for living..I second them
Will be waiting for a garma garam update with my breakfast! 
Its morning already and I am hooked to this story ;)
Should I res ????

πŸ˜›
waiting for the update... Guess I will find it by morning..
Now its morning in my sheher too!
Where is my update? 

Chapter 5: Yeh Duniya Pittal Di

It was only half past five in the morning when she raised the shutters of Tewari & Sons. She was wearing a phiran, a Kashmiri coat like kurta to keep herself warm as the cold-wave in the city continued unabated. Preeto had gifted the phiran to her some years ago. It was  purple in colour with intricately embroidered flowers in half-white. Khushi loved wearing it. For one she could wear her oldest clothes underneath it and secondly it was this giant, shapeless, loose-fitted box-like thing which was very comforting. When Preeto had gifted it to her, Khushi had returned home and worn it immediately. When she went to show it to Baba and Maa at Gupta Mithai, the radio was in the middle of classics-hour and it was playing, Meri Jaan Balle Balle from the film Kashmir Ki Kali. Baba had christened her Kashmir Ki Kali then, a name that stayed with her through that winter. Of course, that coincidence never repeated itself. 

As was habit, Khushi turned on the radio as soon as she entered Tewari & Sons. Sometimes even before the light was switched on, she would turn the radio on. It was difficult to be alone with only her thoughts for any longer than necessary. All the shops played the radio on their little boomboxes. Though, every bylane of Chandni Chowk would have one enterprising teen who would sell CDs that would be loaded with the latest songs for thirty rupees a piece. On the counter Khushi found the latest one that Faisal Bhaii had bought last week. The cover said Baby Doll Remix. Khushi put the CD into a drawer that had several other similarly complied ones including; Dard-e-Disco Remix, Pyaar Ka Dard Hai Meetha Remix, Dil Hai Toh Dard Hoga Remix, Dard-E-Dil Remix, Dard-E-Jigar Remix and her favourite Mard Ko Bhi Dard Hota Hai Remix. Khushi was grateful that Faisal Bhaii had finally moved beyond the many hues of dard. Inspite of this alternative available, most of the shops played the radio, where music interrupted chirpy radio jockeys. Thankfully, it was too early in the morning for the radio jockeys to annoy her, so she listened to a Kabir Bhajan as she lit the lamp and folded her hands in prayer to Goddess Lakshmi. Bhakti Mein Shakti, a mellifluous voice announced after each song. Khushi, could do with some shakti today.

Normally, Tewari & Sons began work at half past seven and opened to the public by nine in the morning. Unless of course there were orders, in which case they began work earlier. It was Preeto's Godbharai this evening and she had asked Khushi if Tewari & Sons could provide the sweets for the function. She had called Khushi the other day to make this request.

"Khushi, I would love if you could provide the sweets for my Godbharai, but you have to charge me exactly what you would charge anyone else. No discount-shiscount. The only thing is you have to deliver it too. Add the taxi charges to the cost."

Khushi realised that her friend was doing this only to help her out by giving her some business. Otherwise there was no need for Preeto, who lived in Rohini, which was almost thirty kilometres away from Chandni Chowk to order sweets from Tewari & Sons. She also suspected that the reason she asked for delivery at Rohini was to ensure that Khushi showed up at the Godbharai function, because Preeto expected her to excuse herself. She would have, but now she had to carry three kilos of motichoor ladoo, two kilos of sohan halwa, three kilos of kaju katli and some artistic sweets of milk burfis moulded as diapers, teethers, crawling babies and a pregnant woman figurine. Preeto told that was the trend these days at godbharais. Why would anyone eat a diaper, even if it was made with milk, sugar and saffron, Khushi could not comprehend. She had never made artistic sweets, Baba used to be an expert at sculpting bride and groom figurines out of hot, reduced milk. Everything that Khushi learnt about mithai, she had learnt it from Baba, but some things could just not be taught. She missed Baba. And Maa. She felt so lost and alone without them. They were always her biggest support and strength. Baba was a vocal and optimistic sort, Maa, more cautious, less demonstrative, but just as loving. But they left Chandni Chowk for Lucknow, to never return. She would call them today. Perhaps Baba will finally agree to talk to her. But that was unlikely, he was still mad at her. She couldn't think about it now. For now, she needed to focus, Khushi thought and stared with concentration at the picture of a diaper that she had printed  out for reference. Since she was not sure how her diaper sweet was looking, she carved H U G G I E S into it, just in case. Surprisingly the crawling child came out rather well. The pregnant woman was going to be more challenging though. 

While Khushi worked, the radio played all kinds of religious music, finally winding up with the Azaan, perfectly coinciding with that of the nearby Jama Masjid. This had been Khushi's life for the last twenty seven years, her daybreak happened to the sounds of the masjid azaan. While Khushi did not have a point of comparison, it was often told that among all the azaans in Delhi, the Jama Masjid one was the most beautiful. If Tewari & Sons did not survive, among all the other things, she would lose Chandni Chowk forever. And that just might be her the biggest tragedy.

Payal cursed as she jumped a signal. It was Sunday morning and the Delhi roads were relatively free. She was going to her parents house for her weekly visit. Usually Sunday breakfast was with her parents, but today Arnav had decided to invite her for brunch, so she would just spend time with the parents and head to Arnav's. She had driven for barely half a kilometre that she ran into another red signal. This one said that she had to wait for hundred and sixty seconds. Payal would have jumped the signal, but there was a cop who was lurking around, whom she thankfully spotted just in time. Who would have thought that Sunday morning commute would be stressful. She turned on the radio to clam herself down.  Two enthusiastic sounding females were singing, sajje khabbe dhabbe killi oh, pattakha guddi oh. She had no clue what any of it meant, but it made her want to skip every signal and drive real fast. Preferably out of the city itself. The song had some intricate background music and bass, which is why she did not realise that her phone was ringing. By the time she did, the signal had turned green. After what seemed like the longest time she pulled into her parent's house at New Friends Colony. She picked up her phone as she got off the car and checked her missed calls list. The number was one that she did not recognise, so she decided not to return the call. Anyway, as a rule she never returned calls. If people wanted to speak to her, they would call back. 

Their housekeeper of many years Sonu, let her in. As Payal walked towards their garden, because breakfast in winters was always outdoors, Sonu followed her with list of complaints. Sonu was of the misguided opinion that she was interested in playing mediator between her parents, who were forever in the middle of some battle. One of the reasons why she had decided to move into her own place in Delhi, inspite of the fact that her parent's home and her childhood home could house a dozen more people comfortably was because she just needed to be away from her bickering parents and not have to take sides. She loved having her own place and was absolutely not looking forward to moving into Raizada House after marrying Arnav. She did not like the idea of living with Poonam and Anand Raizada, both of whom she did not like very much. Thankfully, she would be in Paris for most of summer.

She found dad sitting on the lawns, with a newspaper in hand and fourteen others placed in front of him. Normally he would have Raghu Singhal, his Man Friday to go through every edition of every newspaper to find mentions about him and his party. But on Sundays, Raghu got his day off and dad had to scan the newspapers on his own. Of course, the mostly liberal Indian media meant that dad and his Centre-right Indian National Party never got favourable press. And though her dad's politics embarrassed her, she still loved her dad and felt sorry for all the hate that came his way.

"Hey, dad! Where is mom?"

"Aa gayee ho, beta?! Mom has gone to a satsang?"

"Really? How come?"

"The party's women's wing has organised it, so I asked her to go."

"Of course. Tabhi toh sochoon. And I am assuming by asked you mean, demanded.. no coerced."

"You always take your mom's side. Both of you reap the benefits of my position, is it wrong if I expect the two of you to also do your share of work for it?"

"What benefits have I reaped?"

"Everything. Do you know how difficult it is get to a seat in St Joseph's to study Economics Honours? Your marks were rubbish and you got in only because you were Samir Singh's daughter."

"Which I only went to because you wanted me to go to Joseph's. Family tradition and all. I wanted to go to fashion school in London. Three years of life wasted, anyway."

"Chalo, that is all in the past. The Raizadas have invited you for lunch today? Anything special?"

"Brunch, not lunch. Poonam is not in town actually. Arnav hangs out most weekends with Anjali, this time they invited me. That is all."

Samir Singh folded his newspaper and picked his iPad to go through his next week's schedule. He scrolled past a few pages and handed over the iPad to her saying, "See, we have a rally on Wednesday at Aligarh. Do you think Arnav will come along too? We can use my helicopter, it will just be a day trip."

"Dad, why would Arnav of all people agree to come to one of your rallies? And besides he absolutely does not care for the politics of INP. If he were allowed to, he would write newspaper columns opposing your party policies like Arjoon Bose."

"Is that Bose going to be there at brunch too? Let him know that I was absolutely offended by his last week's op-ed piece on me, in which he referred to me as the ring-master."

"He is just an idiot. Why do you even care, dad? When is mom back, anyway? And what are you having for breakfast? Let me go and check."

"No. We are going to Chandni Chowk to one of our party workers house. His brother is opening a new AnandRams branch there. You are missing out on some good stuff."

"Thank God! I have eaten at AnandRams in CP, the food is overrated. But I didn't know our party owned that."

"Any upper caste Hindu business in this city is somehow connected to the party. So you don't think Arnav will come? His grandfather Kartikeya Raizada is from Aligarh. He was a poet, writer and intellectual. It will look good if voters realised that you are marrying into the family."

"Dad, is everything a photo-op and vote-bank to you? Besides, Arnav and I are not yet married even."

"What do you mean? What is going on? Cold feet?"

"Nothing, dad, nothing. We are not one of those type of couples."

"The type of couple who is supportive of each other?"

"By support you mean sending your wife off to some random meeting on a Sunday morning? Then, no, we are not."

"Sometimes I wonder why are you marrying him at all? I hope you at least love him."

"We are very compatible, dad. Anyway, let me go find Sonu and give him the dirty laundry."

"I don't see why you can't just live with us here. This much independence is not good. What will happen after you marry?"

Payal rolled her eyes. They had reached that part of her visit to her parent's house when they complained about her independence and unsuitability for marriage. She better leave soon. She handed over Sonu her car keys to take the dirty laundry out of the car. She had two bags full of it. Though Sonu had some boundary issues that annoyed her, he was the only person she could trust with her clothes. He understood about bleeding colours, fabrics and buttons, her clothes would always come out unscathed when she would pick them up a week later and the best part was without any tell-tale chemical or cringeworthy floral smells. Maybe she could take Sonu as part of her dowry to Raizada House. God knew she needed an ally there. Perhaps, she should actually speak with Arnav and persuade him to move out of his childhood home. But Payal knew that Arnav would not, because deep down his father's validation was the most important thing to him. In fact Payal was pretty sure that eventually Arnav will shut down Raizada Designs and focus on AR Enterprises. Poonam Raizada could do anything.

After handing over the laundry to Sonu she picked up all her mail, mostly junk, but a few magazine subscriptions. She had not changed her address to any of these places, mostly because she was too lazy to and also in a way to appease her parents that she had some connection to this home. Her dad was in the study now, going through Twitter mentions of him and INP. His party was usually mocked and meme-fide on social media. Though dad would never admit it, he actually enjoyed people trolling his fellow party politicians.

"Dad, I am leaving. Tell mom I will come on Tuesday evening. I will spend the night here so that we can leave right away from here for Saharanpur."

"Aligarh, you mean. Yesterday,  I met Prashant Sabharwal, your friend Aman's father."

"Oh."

"Prashant is one of our party-funders. You know, your mother always said that you would marry Aman because you liked him. But I knew you wouldn't. Too bad."

"And you are disappointed with that? Because lets face it, Poonam Raizada will not give one rupee to INP." 

"No need to be cocky, beta. All I am saying is that nowadays young people marry for love. It is important, you know? Humaare zamaane mein choice utna nahi hua karta tha."

"God, dad! I only came to say bye, yeh kya topic lekar aap baith gaye ho. And no, I never liked Aman. Why would mom even think that? Aman was an idiot and a coward. I could never be with a man like that."

She kissed her dad on his cheek and left before he could get another word in.

"Wednesday rally mein sari pehan na hain," she heard her dad shout from the distance. She groaned and ran out of the house, knocking down a few potted plants on the way. Sonu was never going to agree to be part of her dowry she thought as she drove off.

"Phew, your dad asks so many difficult questions, Jhalli," Arjoon said as he kicked off his shoes and plonked himself on the divan in the living room. They were just back after a brunch and a lot of conversation at Raizada House.

"Dad is a lawyer by training, so he can't help it. What did he ask you anyway?" Anjali said as she somewhat distractedly looked at her phone-screen.

"Stuff. Father of the bride stuff. A bit late if you ask me," Arjoon said, now flipping through channels while it played on mute.

"Apparently Arnav and Aakash are meeting today," Anjali said, handing over a cup of green tea to Arjoon.

"So?"

"It is the strangest thing, Jun. I think it has something to do with Khushi."

"I have to meet this Khushi. All you Raizadas are way too obsessed with her. And it makes me feel rather sorry for her."

"I am not obsessed with her. Really, Jun."

"Do you suppose Arnav and Aakash would get into a brawl at the club over Khushi. I can already see the headline: South Delhi Cousins get into a brawl over a girl."

"What rubbish! Arnav and Aakash are perfectly reasonable sorts. Drunken brawls was more my thing.. when I was younger, of course. Besides Arnav is engaged."

"Ah, Ms Payal Samir Singh. Arnav and Payal are the worst couple ever."

What do you mean?"

"They are so.. I don't know.. cold. Even your parents have a little more heat going between them."

"Eww. Not everyone is as horny as you."

"Speaking of horny..'

"No. I have macro economic theory answer sheets to grade."

"I like how you use economics as such an effective contraceptive."

As Anjali at grading the papers she wondered if she should speak to Arnav about Payal. It was true that they had absolutely no chemistry between them and yet seemed all set for the wedding. Payal and Arnav in fact rather vehemently argued about the number of guests at the wedding. So, both of them had every intention to go ahead. But she knew that Arnav did not like any meddling, so she needed to find some other way to reach him and that to do so quickly. She was lost in her thoughts when Jun walked into the study with his laptop.

"Jhalli, what is Khushi's last name, again?

"Why? What happened?"

"I am going to google her."

"And you were saying that we Raizadas are obsessed with her. Khushi Gupta. I think there is a Kumari as her middle name."

"Is she still a Kumari?"

"Are you asking me about her virginity? Because that is crass, Mr Bose."

"Good god woman! No. I mean, is she still single? She must be 27/28. Don't girls from middle class families have a lot of pressure to marry."

"I have no idea."

"Oh my God! Khushi is so badass," Jun exclaimed looking at his laptop screen. What had her husband discovered, she wondered.

"Show me, also, show me, also," she said impatiently.

"Look at this video, Khushi Kumari Gupta, she catches cobras with bare hands," Jun said, placing the laptop in front of her.

"Jun, very funny. That is some seven-year-old girl. Not our Khushi."

"I know."

"Will you please leave and watch some sport and see your favourite team have their ass handed to them."

After throwing a mock hurt expression her way, he left. He reached the living room and turned up the volume of the TV and an excited commentator was chatting away. Anjali picked up her phone and turned on the radio. They were playing some godawful song. Anjali decided that for every three awful songs that the radio would play, one student would be given a C. It seemed only fair.

Arnav was at Payal's apartment. He had come over to her house after brunch at Raizada House. They needed to prune the wedding guest-list and if they did it at Raizada House every person was offering them their opinion. They were having a difficult time as is, with only the two of their opinions, it was not possible to handle any more. 

"Arnav, do you want to move out of Raizada House?"

"No. Do you?"

"Well I haven't moved in yet."

"I mean, do you not want to stay in my parent's house."

"I don't want to stay in my own's parent's house."

"What are you saying? Do you want us to live separately?"

"Is that on the table?"

"It is not, Payal. I assumed you were fine with living with my parents. But we can discuss this."

"No, it is pointless to discuss something that we know will anyway end only one way. It is a waste of both of our times."

"That is not very fair, Payal. Honestly, I don't think mom and dad will like it much that in addition to not being involved in the business, I also leave home."

"You are right. I am being emo and weird today."

"Everything, okay?"

"Yes, dad messed up with my head this morning. By the way I should warn you, he might call you. He wants to show you off to his voters in Saharanpur? Sorry, Aligarh."

"Haha. Funny. My grandfather was from Aligarh. Well loved poet, in fact."

"Exactly."

"Well, my grandfather's poetry was exactly against people like your dad. So, it is not the best use of his legacy, I reckon. Anyway, I should get going now. Need to finish some work before I meet Aakash later."

Arnav expected Payal to subject him to at least a few questions. Anjali Di had been relentless during lunch. Jeeju and NK had joined in the fun. Even dad gave him an odd, curious look. He knew that Aakash and he were not that close, but he didn't realise that it was this stark to be a conversation highlight among his friends and family. But Payal did not ask anything. She looked very moody and distracted today.  Was it just her conversation with her dad, or was it more he wondered. Maybe there were some bridal nerves at play here. Her phone rang for the third time in an hour and she ignored it.

"Someone really wants to reach you. Why not pick it up?"

"It is not a number I recognise. So, it can't be important. Plus, it is Sunday and I don't want some inefficient guy who is working over the weekend to ruin my day."

Arnav smiled. This was more the Payal he knew. They would now meet only next weekend. If her mood was still dark, he will speak to her. She probably needed a little space now. Between her family for breakfast, his family for brunch and an unidentified number, it was probably too much people contact in a day for Payal, he thought wryly as he drove home. He checked his cellphone, it was five, he could get a couple of hours of work done before he left to meet Aakash. He turned on the radio and they were doing a RD Burman special. It was a good ride back home.

"Khushi Kumari Gupta, my jaan, kitni patli ho gayi ho," Preeto exclaimed, pulling her into a giant squishy hug.

"Utni patli bhi nahin hoon," Khushi said making a face and then smiling at her friend. It was true, pregnant women did have a glow and looked absolutely beautiful. Her husband, Gagandeep Sidhu, gave her a hand with the sweets and asked someone to bring her a glass of water. Gagandeep now ran a lucrative vegetable home-delivery business in the area. He was one of those boys who went to MBA school and got a high-paying job. After a mild argument with his boss, he quit and decided to do his own thing. Hearing his mother constantly complain about having to battle her arthritis and back pain to buy vegetables, he decided to begin  a small business. Soon after Mobile Subzi really caught on and now had kiosks in multiple parts of the city. Preeto met Gagandeep at the Khalsa College Festival and it was love at first sight. Ginny as he was called, was a nice person and Khushi was happy for her friend. They had been married for three and a half years. Preeto who was on maternity leave now, worked with an analytics firm in Gurgaon. After she left Alchemy the way she did, Khushi had not thought that she will be in touch with anyone from college. But Preeto had stuck on and in fact, both she and Ginny, helped her a lot all through the last few years.

"Acha bata, how much money do I owe you for the mithai. Take the money from Ginny now itself," Preeto said, grabbing her one hand and leading her to the bedroom, away from the noisy guests who had now begun to arrive for the ritual.

"I will take the money, Preeto, fikar mat kar. Now you just relax. How are you feeling? You look tired," she said, making her friend sit down on the bed.

"I am fine. Women get pregnant all the time. Not a big deal. But Ginny is driving me mad with his concern and hovering. Can we talk about something other than my enormous stomach. Tu bata life mein kya chal haha hai. Aajkal kuch bata thi hi nahi."

"Wohi gheesa petaa. Oh, my friend Lavanya is getting married."

"Lavanya? Jo Joseph's mein padti thi? Jo ajeeb si thi."

"Do you find any person not ajeeb? Yes, the same girl. She suddenly called me out of the blue and has invited me to her wedding. We haven't spoken or met in years."

"Haan, tumhaare New Horizons walleh sab ajeeb hi they. Are you going for the wedding?"

"Lavanya calls me every day asking me to come. We couldn't meet because both of us are busy. Aakash also says I should go. There is a cocktail party tomorrow, which I won't go for. But day after there is sangeet and wedding two days after. Will go for those."

"Of course, Jeejaji ne keh diya toh, maan na hi padega."

"Aakash is not your Jeejaji, Preeto."

"Fine. If you say so. Acha what are you going to wear? I have this beautiful lehenga that I will probably never fit into again. It is a dark brown, with very elegant work. Take that. And for the wedding you can borrow my reception walla Banarasi.."

"Calm down, Preeto. I can't wear your wedding sari! I will wear whatever I have. Waise bhi nobody is going to notice me."

"Will that Raizada be there? You better look all hot and cool in front of him. You can borrow my kundan set, it is not very heavy and you will pull it off."

"Hot bhi aur cool bhi? Waise I met Raizada too a couple of times. So I think it is too late to convince him about my hotness and coolness."

"What? Tell me everything."

So Khushi told him about the last couple of weeks since Arnav had by chance come to Tewari & Sons. About motichoor ladoos, phone calls and even running into Anjali Raizada.

"God, Khushi. These people are back again. They are bad news. You need to stop being polite and let Arnav know that he can't pretend that nothing went wrong and that he didn't almost destroy your life."

"I don't think it was has his fault. And they didn't destroy my life. Kuch uski mummy ne kiya aur baaki kasar mein puri kar di."

"You are making excuses for him, that is all. If I were in your place, I would carry a pepper spray with me and taser him the next time I run into him."

Khushi laughed. Preeto was always dramatic, that is one quality that remained unchanged. Though Ginny had calmed her down from the girl who would whack boys in Blue Line buses, but even today, she was not above some violence if necessary. Was Arnav responsible for her having to leave Alchemy and losing both her education and sports, she wondered. In a way, yes. It was Poonam Raizada who was more directly involved. Of course, Poonam Raizada would not get her hands dirty and had only created an atmosphere that made it difficult for Khushi to continue at Alchemy. In hindsight, she had only herself to blame for not completing college then. She should have, no matter how difficult it was. 

"Why don't you go to Lucknow for a few days and spend time with your parents," Preeto said, interrupting her thoughts.

"No. I can't run away again, Preeto. I left Alchemy. I left sports. I couldn't save Gupta Mithai. I can't let Tewari & Sons shut down too. This time I have to figure something out," Khushi told her friend, who nodded and then got up from the bed and walked towards her wardrobe. 

"Here, at least wear my lehenga for that Lavanya's Sangeet. Wedding ke liye apna koi dress pehan lena. But bahut patli ho gayi ho. You will need some padding for your boobs to fit my choli."

Khushi laughed and took the designer lehenga-choli from her friend.  Though it was not her style, she suspected that her friend would not take no for an answer. 

She was very nervous about Lavanya's wedding and the possibility of running into some of her New-Ons classmates. Perhaps if she looked like another person, she would feel more confident.

Arnav was driving to Keya, for his meeting with Aaaksh when his phone rang. He normally would ignore any phone-calls while driving, but he peeped into his phone on the car dashboard to see the caller id. He was expecting Aakash to call off the meeting on some pretext. But he realised that it was not Aakash who was calling him, but it was his mother. He pulled the car to the side. If it was his mother on the phone, it was probably important.

"Hey, mom. How are things going?"

"All fine. Are things okay there. Pa is fine?"

"Yeah, sure."

Arnav told his mom about the brunch and the mini-reunion from earlier in the day. He was certain that HP would faithfully report to her how the mouse were at play when the cat was away. She might as well hear it from him first hand. Surprisingly, mom did not seem bothered by this and instead was happy that they had all met up. Something in mom's manner was not adding up lately.

"I called you tell you that it is that Kashyap's daughter's wedding the coming week. Tomorrow is a cocktail party, day after the sangeet and the wedding on Friday. Since I can't be there, I want you to go for it."

"God mom! No."

"Someone from the family needs to represent, Kashyaps are long-time business associates. I have left the invites in my office, see what suits you and attend accordingly. If nothing else, attend the wedding. Lavanya was your friend too, isn't it? I thought she would have invited you herself."

"We were not that good friends, mom. Fine, I will go and show my face there. When are you back?"

"Will know by Wednesday. Are you out somewhere?"

"Yes. On my way to meet Aakash."

"Alright then. Won't keep you. Good night."

As Arnav drove into the club, he was disconcerted by how cool his mom was. He had expected her to freak out at the mention of her nephew, or at least be a little curious, but none of it. Maybe she was going soft with age or perhaps he was being unfairly harsh on her. 

As Arnav walked into Keya, which advertised itself as a classy modern cave in the city, he realised that they had a rather strict gatekeeping policy, which was entirely superficial and understandably viewed a man walking in alone with suspicion. Thankfully, being a Raizada helped and someone whom he did not recognise, shushed the bouncer and let him in. For someone who worked in fashion, Arnav's personal style was practical and classy. Payal always complained how his fashion was not edgy enough when they went out. Thankfully Aaaksh was already there by the time he reached and was in conversation with a very attractive woman.

"Hey."

"Hi, Arnav. This is Snigdha Sawhney, they used to be our neighbours, remember? This is Arnav."

"Oh, yes, Anjali's lil brother. I remember you breaking a school project of ours by mistake once."

Arnav ordered a vodka martini for himself and was amused by the thought that he had not broken Snigdha's project by mistake. He had done it on after a dare from Anjali Di. Di surely made him do the most ridiculous things.

"So, how are you, man," Aakash asked after Snigdha finally left their table.

"Am good. Is it true that you almost won a Nobel Prize this year," Arnav asked his cousin.

"I want to know, who has started this rumour? Not the first time Iam hearing this actually."

"I have no clue. But I think Anita Chawla has something to do with. She is the most efficient dispenser of information in all of Greater Kailash at least."

"That lady was always such a trouble-maker. But why must she gossip about me, I wonder?!"

Arnav was stuck by the thought suddenly that he had given Mrs Chawla Khushi's number. He hoped that he had once again not set up Khushi for some trouble. He wondered how to broach the subject of Khushi with Aakash. He really should have thought this through before setting up a meeting.

"I think it has something to do with the fact that Mrs Chawla has a daughter over twenty-five, who is single."

"Ah, yes. She was our junior at New-Ons, Opposite Chawla. New-On-Ites were were the biggest dickheads."

Aakash was not wrong here. Anita's daughter, Juhi, was a rather plain looking girl, unlike her conventionally pretty, movie-star namesake. Divyesh was the one to christen her Opposite Chawla. And that name pretty much stuck through school. Schools were always difficult places, but at New-Ons, if you didn't fit into a certain type, it was your biggest crime. 

The club was playing some generic lounge music and therefore not as loud as the usual clubs. Arnav looked around and realised that because of a strict gatekeeping policy, the two most annoying demographic: first-time drinkers and groups comprising only of men who danced to Gingham style no matter what the music was, were not allowed in. Which was a good thing, of course.

"True that. Anyway, you are probably wondering why I suddenly wanted to meet you."

"It is about Khushi, isn't it?"

"Yeah. But.. I mean, how did you guess?"

"Khushi told me that she had run into you, then NK and Anjali Di also called me to ask about Khushi. And then you texted, it kind of all added up."

Payal was perhaps right. They were all honestly too obsessed with Khushi. He wondered what NK and Di were upto though.

"Listen, Arnav, Khushi is going through a tough time. With the business and otherwise. I am sure you don't mean harm, probably never did, but she is better off without you and the rest of the Raizadas giving her a hard time. And if maami gets a whiff of any of this.."

"What I.. my family did to Khushi was wrong. I want to make it alright. I have no intention of being cause of any more trouble for her."

"If you want to help her, it is best not to get involved. Both she and you probably work better without each other. Anyway, what do you want me to do?"

Aakash was probably right. Perhaps he should not get involved with Khushi again. Aakash was the one person who knew both the Raizadas and Khushi well.

"You are probably right, Aakash. Let bygones be. But if you think that Khushi could do with some help, let me know. I am not looking to alleviate my guilt through some kind of charity, of course. But if I can help, I would like to."

"Sure, I will let you know."

Later when Arnav drove back home, he realised that inspite of what he said to Aakash, getting a proper closure on the Khushi issue was important. He realised that Aakash was basically doing something similar to what the bouncers did at Keya, keeping away the Gangnam style dancers. He would have to do the hard work and reach out to Khushi on his own.

"Khushi!!!!! You look so lovely," Lavanya walked up to her and hugged her, "Your lehanga is so beautiful. Brown is definitely your colour."

When Khushi had got into the metro at Chandni Chowk station to head to Jor Bagh, where the Sangeet venue was she was very conscious. After a long time she had taken care to dress up well. She even managed to slap some eye make-up on, something that she had never done in life. Looking at her reflection, she felt that she was not even a person she recognised. She looked like an impersonator with her borrowed clothes and a really long wing-eyed makeup. 

"Achi lag rahi ho, Bua," Aarav had said to her as she was leaving, somewhat bolstering up her confidence. In the metro, she wrapped the shawl around her head, hoping to be her usual inconspicuous self. But now that she had reached the venue, where every thing and every person was shimmering, she felt less conscious and discarded her shawl. Lavanya was wearing a turquoise lehanga, with elaborate zardosi work. She looked positively radiant. Thankfully she did not have an elaborate hairdo that often made people seem much older. 

"Congratulations, Lavanya. You look very nice. As usual."

"I am glad you came... inspite of..I mean, I am sorry I couldn't come home and invite you. Things got busy, you know. You will find the New-Ons gang there," Lavanya said pointing vaguely as her younger cousins whisked her away for some photographs.

Khushi walked into the crowd with a slight feeling of trepidation. She did not want to run into the New-Ons crowd. This business of looking hot and cool was not her thing. She spotted Karthik and Veena, who waved at her. As Lavanya had in fact predicted, Karthik and Veena did get together and were to marry next year. Aakash was of course there, checking if guests were comfortable, had something to drink and circulating. He smiled at Khushi and she waved back at him. Aakash was almost family for Lavanya and though at one time she thought that the two of them would end up together, but their equation was always platonic, almost sibling-like. Aakash was wearing a bandgala sherwani in white and a pink turban that he managed to pull off rather well. After a while Khushi realised that none of her other New-Ons classmates were around and she relaxed and enjoyed watching the beautiful men and women dance to perfectly choreographed steps.

"Khushi! Are you having a good time? Why don't you dance. God I am so exhausted. Have you met my fiance Anand? Sorry Major Anand Singh Grewal. He is that guy in the blue sherwani. He is handsome, isn't he?"

Khushi smiled at her friend who was now sitting next to her. Lavanya was just a little drunk.

"I will meet him later. How have you been otherwise?"

"Mera kya. Usual. Sab fit and fine. Tu bata. You are one mystery woman!"

"No mystery. Usual with me. I run the family shop and do some other stuff."

"See. So much mystery. By the way do you know that Karthik and Veena are getting married soon. Main na kehti thi," Lavanya whispered. 

"Yes, you said that they had too much chemistry," Khushi recalled.

"Khatarnak chemistry," Lavanya said giggling and Khushi joined in. And in that moment, the years disappeared away.

Aakash walked up to them and asked what was  so amusing.

"Kuch nahi. Koyi hot ladki milli? Anand has some hot cousins, you know," Lavanya said pointing to a group of giggling teens.

"They are all twelve, I think. Really Lavanya. Anyway, aunty is getting antsy. She wants you on the dance-floor."

Lavanya got up and dragged Khushi, insisting that she also join in. The song playing was something that went, nonsense ki night, Khushi declined.

"Looking nice, Khushi. I honestly wasn't sure you would come. But I am glad you are here," Aakash said, looking at Khushi.

"Yeah, I am glad I came too. I wasn't sure at first.. you know.. I thought it would be awkward.. but all is okay."

"I hope you plan to come for the wedding too. There are going to be thirty-two mithais. You can check out the competition."

"Maybe I should have got in touch with Lavanya before. Kam se kam Tewari & Sons would be doing better if I had got her wedding mithai order."

"Come to the wedding with business cards, you can sneakily pass them around."

"Haha. Maybe I will. But now thanks to your cousin, we are staying afloat for another couple of weeks."

"Meaning.?"

"I just catered some mithai for Arnav and Anjali. Then Arnav passed on my contact to a Mrs Anita Chawla, who placed a huge order. So another week taken care of."

"You remember that junior from school, the one who was a debating champion, Anita Chawla is her mom."

"Oh really? Juhi Chawla, her name was."

"That is not what New-On-Ites called her."

"Matlab?"

"Nothing. But be careful of Mrs Chawla, she is a dangerous lady."

"More dangerous than Poonam Raizada?"

"Khushi and Aakash, stop sitting around like this, come and dance now," this time it was Veena who was attempting to drag them. Aakash stayed firm and Veena was unable to pull him, but once Karthik came in, the two of them almost carried Khushi into the dance floor. Once on the dance floor, there was no point resisting and Khushi tried to keep up with the vigorous movements of her classmates as everyone lip-synced to, Baby Doll Mein Sone Di.

"So you are a baby doll made of gold, eh?" Aakash asked her grinning as Khushi rejoined him after managing to lose Veena and Karthik on the dance floor.

"No. But the world is surely made of brass, which does seem like gold."

"So deep, Ms Gupta, so deep."

NEXT

Edited by YellowBoots - 9 years ago