Views

Users

Frequent Posters

cineraria thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: shree10

You are even more ruthless than ASR!😑

He atleast rushed immediately to guest house to rescue KKG. Your late night is update is yet to come!!

I am the hypoglycemic ASR. I slept like an unconscious kitten at night. πŸ˜› I will update in 10-20 minutes. 
cineraria thumbnail

Chapter 19: Trapped

A mother's affections can never be partial with her children, but can the same be said as regards a grandmother? If Devyani Raizada often found her affections rather inclined towards the children of her deceased daughter, one would be quick to point that these affections were indeed rooted in her deep concern for the two. Although Devyani had time and again manifested her disapproval of her son and his marrying the girl of his choice, namely Manorma, she was in no doubt that their son Akash had received excellent upbringing of which she never failed to take the credit for.

She knew she'd never have to worry about Akash for being the youngest of the three notwithstanding, Akash was much more sorted than his elder cousins, at least on emotional grounds. He had unfailingly assumed the role of a peacemaker, whether it was a tussle between his grandmother and mother or any problem in general, unless it involved Arnav. Devyani trusted Akash for his actions.

On the other hand was Anjali, the eldest of the three - the princess of the family. A shadow of her mother, Anjali was an epitome of grace. She replicated the same placidity of disposition and magnanimity, characteristic of her mother. Every time Anjali smiled, Devyani saw her daughter smile through her, every time Anjali spoke, the family saw Ratna speak through her, but Anjali had inherited much more than she ought to from her mother, the precious daughter of the Raizadas had too much to endure. She had been subject to the cruel vagaries of fate, much of Anjali's teenage and twenties had been a complete mess, and her crippled leg could not have done more to add to her insecurities. Had she not met her husband three years back, she would have been pretty much the same without the emotional support he had given to her life. Devyani felt like the most content woman in the world to see her grandchild settled, but it was her daughter's son, Arnav, who wouldn't deign to give her similar contentment.

Even as a little child, Arnav had been difficult and irascible, his growing years had only turned him more rebellious, yet in his presence was an assurance, that he was somebody to be depended upon. It was after Devyani's husband, Pratap Singh Raizada died of a cardiac arrest seven years back, that Arnav had taken the responsibility of the family and that he had carried out with efficiency till date. So much so that he didn't even deem it necessary to consult his grandmother before taking decisions; dominating he had always been but in the past few months, Arnav had conveniently overruled Devyani and the family had backed him. This was perforce, to Devyani's dislike, not that she had any ego issues with him, but it were his expedient and often rash ways that aroused her concern. And it was to this attitude of his and her years of experience that she was highly skeptic upon the knowledge of him being involved with a girl. The fact that all the others in the family, apparently, knew about his affair and that it was somehow being kept secret from her prompted her to draw conclusions, which for that matter, weren't in favor of her grandson.

"Hello? May I speak to Ms Lavanya Kasyap?" Devyani inquired over phone.

"Yes, that's me. Who is this?" replied a drowsily reluctant voice.

"I am Arnav's Nani." said Deyani sternly, not quite liking the tone of the girl.

The phone almost fell from Lavanya's grip, why on Earth would ASR's grandmother call her? Arnav never really talked much about his family, although Lavanya knew Akash well and had a fleeting acquaintance with Anjali and her husband whom she had met a couple of times, but Nani...?

"Are you listening to me?"

"Yes Naniji..."

"I need to meet you, at my residence in twenty minutes. Don't tell Arnav anything about this. Do you follow?" said Devyani sounding like a military official.

"Only twenty minutes?"

"Yes, you have any problem with that?"

"N..no, as you wish Naniji."

From La's point of view...

For the love of ASR poor La now meets lady ASR. She calls me, spits an order to be present in front of her in twenty minutes, for what, she gives no explanation and on top of it, lays the condition of don't you dare tell this to ASR, so very typical ASRish behavior. Are domineering streaks a regular occurrence in the Raizada family? Jeez, Akash and Anjali seemed to suggest otherwise...

Wait I don't get this, I am ASR's girlfriend then why the hell should I not tell him that his granny wants to see me? I pick my phone and keep it back, forget it La, Nani seemed quite scary already, don't do anything to piss her off.

I stare at my reflection in the mirror, time for some reality bites La, my hair needs to be fixed, my makeup doesn't look good and my dress! Holy shit! My pretty electric blue mini tube dress and all the oomph it suggests, I have a feeling nani may not admire me in this with my strapless attire giving a sneak peek of my cleavage and all. I try to stretch it down to cover a little more of my thighs, does it help? Negative. Hell, I know, some old Indian women have a habit of being extremely judgmental, especially when it comes to what a girl wears, but what can I possibly do in darn twenty minutes? I can barely manage to reach the Raizada Mansion, forget changing into something a little more decent. And anyway, is there any point in projecting myself as someone I am not, I'll be myself. La is the best anyway, so there I am casting myself a last look in the mirror, I look damn pretty but damn worried. It's plausible that she is calling me to talk about mine and ASR's relationship which is kind of weird for my grand mom won't even give a damn to whom I sleep with, or would she?

I have no idea, I just know that this entire grand mom thingy is making me stressed. I grab my bag and make a call to Pam, informing her that I would be out for a while so that she may take up all that needs to be done in the office in my absence. I light up a cigarette as I approach my car, smoking really helps in beating my stress, and it's one of the things for which I'll be forever indebted to my parents.         

The funny thing is that it's the first time I am going to RM, it's like I have been to ASR's farmhouse, his penthouse and we have spent some memorable nights together but I have never been to his house. More funnily we both like it this way, minimum interference you see. I don't really understand the part in me which perhaps dreams of being his forever...duh! 

^^^^

Devyani Raizada spent these minutes wondering what she'd ask her, she wanted to make sure whether this girl was even worth considering as a potential daughter in law of the Raizada family. She was glad that that both Anjali and Manorma had gone to visit the Ashram for some charity work, she did not want their unwanted assistance in this regard.

Lavanya stepped down her car and dropped the cigarette, crushing it under her heals. She had seen the mansion before but never closer than this. As she neared it, a guard came running towards her, "Stop ma'am, show your ID first." he said.

"My ID, why? Do you have any idea who am I?" she yelled.

"No ma'am. We have strict orders from the boss, please cooperate."

"Call your boss, tell him it's Lavanya Kashyap here, and mind you, he won't be happy to know that you stopped me."

"Sorry ma'am I can't he's not home."

"Then call whoever is at home, I am surprised Mrs. Raizada hadn't informed you about me already." The guard dialed the number reluctantly, "Hello, Ma'am there is one Ms. Kashyap here, says you called her. Did you?"

"Send her."

"You may go in, sorry for the inconvenience." said the security guard not really meaning the 'sorry'.

"F**k off." she said storming towards the entrance.

Although Lavanya had popped in some mint before the servant opened the door, it was her luck that Devyani Raizada could smell smoke from half a kilometer. The servant who gawked at her as if she were from some alien planet guided her through the exquisitely crafted drawing room to the lounge, where Devyani sat on couch pretending to read a magazine. She sprang from her position as soon as the smoker entered the room, her eyes widening, "You smoke!" she exclaimed without caring to look at the girl. "You just smoked! I know, you did, tell me." Devyani cried shaking her head. Lavanya felt her legs trembling, what was so wrong in smoking? Both her parents did.

"Y...yes, I did." she whispered.

It was then, that Devyani noticed her clothing and the Samaj Seva Sangh member turned to face away from the 'shameful' sight of the obscenely scant attire of the girl. There was no word spoken between the women for a while. Devyani sat back in the couch without offering Lavanya a seat. Lavanya followed quietly and sat in an armchair opposite to Devyani. "Nice interior." she said trying to start a conversation.

"Your parents have no objections with you dressing like that?" Devyani asked flatly.

"No, why would they object?"she asked confusedly.

"How long have you known Arnav?"

"You mean how long have we been seeing each other? Well five months." Devyani scowled. Lavanya shifted uncomfortably. "Where do you belong to, I mean where were you brought up your family..."

"London." said Lavanya, "and I spent most of my childhood there."

"Then...how did you come to India? I mean your parents must have left London"

"No, I moved to Delhi, five months back...alone."

Devyani raised her eyebrows, "you live in this city all alone?"

"Yeah, no big deal, I am used to living alone, I was in Milan before I moved to Delhi."

"And your parents are in London? They are not afraid..."

"Mom's in Chicago and Dad's in Birmingham." she said interrupting the older woman. She didn't want to talk about this anymore.

"They are not together?" Devyani asked quietly.

"No, they separated when I was twelve." she muttered in a dejected undertone, leaving me swaying like a pendulum between them, she thought but didn't say. She hadn't foreseen that her meeting with Devyani Raizada would lead her to this; well, there are many things that we can't foresee or imagine happening, but they do...like one that was happening in another part of the city.

The world moved like it always did, Delhi busted with activity like it always did, but in an abandoned corner of the city, braving the dungeons of darkness sat she, crouched against a wall, curled up like a child. Her fearful eyes looked at the naked wires that sparked now and then, they crackled, the wind hissed. She knew it was raining outside for she could see the water seeping in the wall whose half done plaster chipped. She jolted every time a huge chunk of ceiling fell crashing against the floor. Hunger growled menacingly in her empty stomach, thirst tormented her parched throat, tears itched against her cheeks and she was retch. Day changed to twilight, twilight changed to night, she sat, in the same position wondering how long would the remaining portion of the ceiling sustain.

Khushi had prayed for long, prayed to her Devi Maiyya, prayed to her parents, was there no one in the world who could rescue her from this hell? She could have collapsed any time amidst the perils of her surroundings, but there was one thing that kept her going. One force in her that was stronger than any of the natural and manmade forces acting against her summed, it was the force of anger, fury, wrath of the magnitude that she had never felt before. How would she have, had anyone ever tried to take her life before? If Arnav Singh Raizada came in front of her. At this moment. She would have. By all means. Killed him.

He had been sullen throughout the day, throughout the three back to back meetings. Many had been at the receiving end of his scathing temper, the latest being the blank faced peon standing in front of him.

"Where the hell is Ms. Kashyap?" he demanded.

"Sir she is out."

"Is the calendar ready?"

"I am not informed sir."

"By what time would she be back?"

"She didn't say sir."

"How much does my company pay you?"

"Sir?"

"Is there anything you know?"

"Sir..."he stammered.

"Get out."

She stood at the door, waiting for the peon to get out, once he did, she came in, looking miffed, "ASR..."

He shot her a disapproving glance, "Where were you?"

"At your home."

"What?"

"Your Nani called me."

"And you didn't deem it necessary to inform me?" he snapped angrily.

"She told me not to."

"Why did she call you?"

"For interrogation" she sniffed. "I think ASR she needs to speak to you, about...us." ASR rolled his eyes.

The clock struck eleven at night, at Lakshmi Nagar was a household whose life had been consumed in lethal anxiety. A very pale Payal dumped the lock on the table, "I'll go to Khushi's office bua." Madhumati sat with her palms joined in prayer facing the old calendar with Lord Krishna's picture on it. She threw Payal a worried glance. "You know where the office is?" she asked her niece.

"I think Shyamji does. I'll wait for him." said Payal, cracking her knuckles in nervousness. She bit her lips ten times in ten seconds and tried Khushi's number for the hundredth time that day. Silence.

'The number you have dialed is currently unavailable.' said the mechanical voice. She slammed the receiver down, "What does unavailable mean? Khushi uses that number, it could be switch off, out of reach, but not unavailable." she cried.

Madhumati shook her head, "Let her come home today, I'll tell her to leave this job, I can't bear all this everyday. What kind of work is this Payaliya, Nandkissore I will not let my child go there again..."

The lawyer came back retiring from his day at work, the women were too occupied to even notice him. "What happened, is Khushi late again?"

Tears of apprehension began draining from Payal's eyes, "Khushi calls me six times a day, she hasn't called even once since morning, let's go to her office. You know where it is, don't you?" she stuttered.

"Her office?" Shyam's face fell. "Did you try the office phone?"

"I did, it's not responding." she cried.

"There are two numbers, maybe the other one does." he suggested taking out a slip from his pocket, "dial this."

She dialed frantically, after multiple rings finally someone spoke, "AR headquarters, who is it?"

Payal composed herself, "I...I am y..ou, you know Khu..Khushi, I am her sister, she hasn't come home yet, Is she still in the office?"

"Ma'am this the security line, you should ask at the reception line." said the security official about to cut the line.

"Please, please, don't cut the phone, I tried the other number, nobody answers, can you please find and tell me if my sister is still there?"

"Hold on please" he said and returned after a minute, "Ma'am she is not here. ASR sir had sent her to some other place in the morning, that's what I am informed of, but I have no information where she was sent."

Payal was nearing a nervous breakdown by now, "Can you please find out" she urged.

"Ma'am I am sorry but nobody seems to know that, perhaps only the chief does."

"Can you give me his number."

"What? ASR's number? I am sorry ma'am I am not allowed to give his personal number to anyone."

"Please" Payal said reduced to sobs, "My sister is not home yet, have a heart, try to understand my situation sir... a young woman could be in danger." There was a long silence, "Okay, he's left the office, I can give you the landline number of his residence but please you understand my situation, I can't give you his mobile."

Payal grabbed a paper to note the number. The guard dictated and added, "Don't tell about the source please, okay."

Payal sank in the chair, "Shyamji I am not in a position to talk anymore, please you call his residence."

Shyam took the slip, "okay, but you first have a glass of water, Khushi will be just fine." He dialed... "Hello?" responded a woman's gentle voice from the other side, Shyam pursed his lips, "Hello?" said the voice again. He kept the receiver down.

"What happened Shyamji, why did you keep the phone down?"Payal inquired.

"I couldn't hear a thing." he replied.

Payal snatched the receiver and pressed redial... 

"What is it Nani? Why did you call Lavanya here without my knowledge?" said ASR, folding his arms, throwing brief hints of impatience and annoyance as he stood in front of his grandmother, who sat in her easy chair, calm and composed, patting her pet.

"You are smart enough to figure that for yourself." she replied.

"Right." he said letting out a frustrated sigh, "So now what? You would ask me to marry her."

"No. I would ask you to leave her and forget her." said Devyani sternly, "You have chosen a wrong girl, she's not good for you and this family."

"And who are you to decide that?" he said surlily.

"Your grandmother and you will marry a girl I chose for you." she said emphatically looking straight into his eyes.

"It's my life you are talking about, I should decide what happens in it." he rebelled.

"That's what you don't understand Arnav, this is not just your life, the entire family is affected by your actions. The daughter in law of the house should be someone who would preserve and uphold the family's culture and values, something you can't expect from that uncultured girl."

"I don't give a damn to a culture that undermines an individual's freedom of choice." Arnav argued.

"So, you will not leave her?" Devyani cried angrily. "Do you know what this leads to? A girl that you know from barely five months is more important to you than your family? I am sorry but I expected a rather responsible behavior from you Arnav, but at this moment you are just acting like your fa..."

"Don't even go there Nani." Arnav warned.

"What else do I infer from your ways? Take it from me, that girl you think you love is..."

"Did I say I love her?" he wanted to laugh at her conveniently drawn preposterous conclusion, "But I won't leave her Nani, nor will I marry her, because I DON'T believe in the institution of marriage."

Devyani stared on with incredulity at the imprudent response from her grandson. Before she could open her mouth in protest, his phone vibrated in the pocket of his trousers, he raised his hand silencing her and pulled out the phone, anything to get away from this torture. 'Mehta calling' it displayed. Much to Mehta's relief, after twenty seven missed calls, the boss finally answered.

"You are paid for handling a situation Mehta, not for calling me again and again." he chided.

"Sorry to disturb you sir, but I wouldn't have called if the situation wasn't so bad." Mehta said weighing his words.

"What is it?"

Just at that moment, the landline phone in the lounge rang for the second time. Manorma Raizada answered it this time.

"Hello may I speak to Mr. Raizada, please." said Payal trying hard not to break down again.

Manorma stifled a yawn, "There are three Mr. Raizadas in this mansion, two Mrs. Raizadas and one Mrs. not-Raizada anymore. I am one Mrs. Raizada, now you say, which one do you want to..."

"Arnavji" Payal uttered, "Please can I speak to Arnavji"

"Oooh Arnav...jee, Sorry...he's busy with another call, tell me, you sound worried. Makes two of us, now say who are you?"

"Ma'am I am Khushi Kumari Gupta's elder sister, she hasn't come home yet, please, let me speak to Arnavji once."

"If your Khushi is not home yet then dial God's number and pray, it's pretty late already."

Sessile for a moment, horrified in the next, with each passing moment, the growing comprehension of his folly sinking in, Arnav heard his employee with his undivided attention.

"Sir, the place had become too risky, the engineer even predicted that it would be down if not in the next three to four hours, than definitely before sunrise. And who knows, it could already be down..."

"Are all the workers safe?" ASR interjected.

"Yes, sir, fortunately we evacuated well in time, only one of them was injured, he has been hospitalized but is doing fine." A brief sense of relief was felt, but foreboding overtook the next moment, even his sense of breath. He hoped to not hear what he had just begun to fear.

"Sir, one last thing"

Arnav's heart skipped a beat, "What?"

"Some workers said they had seen a girl in the building, although I didn't see any, did you send somebody there?"

His skin lost its color, frantic fingers made her number appear, he listened to the electronic message of 'dialed number is currently unavailable.' The noise of the overwrought heart beat in his ears turned him deaf to the calls of his name by his family, he bolted towards the exit.

PS:  I know I am evil. But I'll update in a couple of hours. πŸ˜‰ 

Edited by cineraria - 9 years ago
prpk525 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Loved the update...
Your version of nani's interrogation seems better.. Or was it the same in the show..

Can't wait for the next chapter...
Jaldi karo na.. Pleej...
jg12 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Really enjoying it . This was one of my favourite part of the show so would love to read more of Arnav's emotions on how is he feeling about Khushi  at this point of time.
cineraria thumbnail

Originally posted by: prpk525

Loved the update...
Your version of nani's interrogation seems better.. Or was it the same in the show..

Can't wait for the next chapter...
Jaldi karo na.. Pleej...

I guess my take was slightly different. I don't want to portray Lavanya merely as a dumb bimbo. 

I am working on the next chapter, I'll post it in an hour or two positively. Thanks.
reeshree thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
so looking forward to read Khushi's outburst... When are we going to get that update? 
Downhill thumbnail
simply brilliant
loved it,
cineraria thumbnail

Sorry, sorry, sorry for the late update.

Chapter 20: Rescued

Arnav

It was a callous decision, a gory callous decision. When her balance had tipped over the ledge of his window, his instincts had pinged and his hand had rushed to find her, clasping it securely in his. Her taunt was still fresh in his mind and the sight of harmless paper cartons too much a lure. Throwing her down was diabolic, physical pain from the fall would be easily bearable, but the injury to her pride would be fatal and he knew it. He gave her the option and she made her choice. He had set her free, knowing that she would retract, knowing that intrepid spirit had its human limits. But she had sprung back surprising him, through the sheen of tears in her eyes he had seen her foolish determination.

She wanted to be a martyr and perverseness had roared in his veins. He made her sign the contract. The ordeal he meticulously plotted for her was to make her bow down to his insolent might, it was all a game, and he never lost. But she surprised him yet again. With each move she emerged stronger, and he, further nettled. Temper had soared this morning to savage heights, he should have known better but when had his brilliant mind stood a chance against his maniacal choler? Caution was thrown to the wind when he offhandedly consigned her to the guest house. 

He had crossed a limit and he knew it. Now the diabolism hung flaccid in an air of guilt, for the first time in years Arnav Sigh Raizada hoped. Hoped for her safety under a dangling sword of uncertainty. He cursed himself, his mindlessness, his slip in carrying out his responsibilities. His mind tried to dump the fault on one of the employees, but the insidious voice rasped, 'Khushi was my responsibility.'

As he pressed on the race, he broke signals, dodged vehicles feverishly. Tonight served as a reminder for another emotion he had forgotten to feel in ages. Nervousness.  It hit him like a violent gust of wind, he was indeed capable of destruction. 

I pull up my car in front of the guest house. The structure looks fine from the outside and that's bit of a relief, I sprint for the entrance- a dire mess of a network of slim wooden logs, I smuggle myself into the site of wreckage. A couple of low power incandescent bulbs poorly light the place, hell, this means they didn't turn off the main switch? There is seepage in the walls, in all probability the wires are leaking current and they aren't even insulated! If something funny has happened to her... I jerk away as some bricks crash on the floor near my feet. A mesh of rusted steel rods is all that is left of the opposite wall, I move around frantically there is no sign of her. Is there a chance that she has escaped, I hope against hope? No she hasn't, why else would someone call from her house?

My eyes fall on something yellow, a huge block of plaster crashes down upon it before I reach, I make another attempt to see what it is. It seems to be a strap of cloth, I remove the debris covering it, it is unmistakably Khushi's cloth tote bag and on top of it is her broken phone..., it makes me hopeful and hopeless at the same time.

She's very much here but where? "Khushi..." I call out her name at the top of my lungs, my own voice sounds strange to my ears when it bounces back on me.

^^^^

"Khushi..." he screamed again, his voice filling the night. Upstairs she heard a faint sound of someone calling her name. Had she heard it right? She forced her eyes open, reached for the door, banged it again, "Is there anyone?" she said aloud, she couldn't get any louder, not in her present state. She grabbed a thin log of wood and opened the band tying her hair. She inserted the band in the handle and twisted the handle with the log, the broken handle let out a shrill creaky sound. She banged the door again. Maybe there was nobody down, maybe she was just dreaming. She slipped against the wall, curling again, a single shaft holding the ceiling above her head.

Arnav made it to the stairs, he called her name again, "Where the hell do I find this girl" he muttered. He saw a huge amount of debris in front of a worn out door, covering about half the doors vertical length, he turned to take another flight of stairs when a scream, a loud shrill cry of a girl ricocheted through the silence. Arnav stopped and turned, the sound definitely came from behind that door covered in debris. He crouched near it, removing the huge and heavy blocks of RCC, the dust filled his lungs, the sharp stones scratched his hands.

He pulled mightily at the jammed door, opening it in two attempts. His eyes widened, mixed feelings rippling in his heart, there she sat, her arms circling her folded legs and chin resting on her knees, his eyes darted at the ceiling, the lone shaft couldn't take its weight any longer, he lurched towards her, grabbing her hand in his, pulling her up to her feet.

Incredulity was writ large on her pale face, her long hair flying, he gaped at her for a stranded moment, but a moment's look was all he could afford before fleeing the room with her. The shaft fell and the entire ceiling came down the moment they stepped to the relative safety of the stairs. He pulled her to him, grabbing her waist, ducking her beneath him while pebbles hit his back as they skidded downstairs. Once down he let go of her waist but kept on holding on to her hand dragging her out to safety.

She jerked her hand away, out from his grip, anger consumed her, anger strengthened her. As if he had been anticipating the movement, Arnav let her go, he knew he had crossed a sensitive line this time. Wallowing in self hatred over his doings was not an option with him, he wanted her to flay him and bring him out of the misery. He closed his eyes, bracing himself to hear whatever she had to say, her words never came, the silence maddened him, "Look, I didn't know the condition here was so bad..." he offered with some honesty.

Khushi clenched her fists tight, "You didn't know? As if that is even possible...you...you maniac." she charged at him, punching her fists hard into his chest. He staggered back a couple of inches with the impact, shocked to the core of his being. Had she really punched him?

"Listen Khushi..." he opened his mouth to protest.

"SHUT UP ARNAV SINGH RAIZADA!" she screamed breathing the air out of her lungs, "I have heard enough, now you would listen to me. And if you can't, then better get used to it." she said severely. "Get used to the fact that just because I am poor and you are rich doesn't give you the right to speak and govern my life. Since day one you have been reminding me of my status and my standing, then get used to the fact that a girl of no status and no standing dares to tell you that not only your anger but your entire life is as baseless as this building of yours. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?" she thundered, yet again clenching her fists and slamming them onto his shoulders. He staggered back another inch, anger seared his sense again, his jaw tightened, muscles stiffened, "Khushi" he warned, she didn't heed.

"What did you think? I don't get hurt? I don't feel any pain? I have no self respect, no pride? No, Mr. Raizada, you hurt me and I FEEL THE PAIN, you wound me and I bleed for I am as much human as you are, and much more. But how would you understand, you apathetic leech of a man. My sister would have cried herself to death, but how would you understand, you are blind but to your shallow interests." she yelled, hurt and anguish seeped through every syllable she uttered. She raised her fists for the third time. Arnav seized her wrists and swung her around forcefully, pinning her against the wall. Apathetic leech of a man, rung loudly in his ears.

The color of his iris darkened, his eyes bore into her like hungry predators, his facial muscles tensing up in anger as his grip tightened around her wrists, almost stopping her blood flow, "I said, I had no idea things were in such a bad shape here." He ground his teeth in frustration.

She just realized her actions had provoked him. Again. But she did not regret, not one word of all that she had said. Yet she failed to feel the same strength she had felt before. Her predicament now stood laughing at her. In his eyes she only recognized his propensity to bring harm. What if he decided to charge on her? She was powerless in front of him, there was no way she could fight him. She stared helplessly at him, his eyes, his glare, his imposing sculpted physique, his masculine strength; it made her nervous. Nervous and afraid, coupled with exhaustion and fatigue, she began feeling dizzy.

Fresh tears that rolled down her cheeks fell over his hands, his gaze dropped at them, he felt a sharp pain in his left palm, the fate of her glass bangles in his grip was in shards. Unwittingly he was hurting her again. He released her hand when realization struck, it fell to her side, blood oozing from where the glass had scratched her skin. He remembered what they had just escaped, his mouth softened and eyes returned to their original chocolate, yet his gaze wouldn't leave her face, brushing over it's fine contours, he had never given himself the opportunity to have her this close, for this long.

In such proximity to him, in such volatile a state of her mind, the last thought ironically was of the strangely felt assurance, her heavy eyelids shut and she made no effort against it. She could not, she had used up the last bit of her energy in telling him off. Her head slipped to one side, "Khushi?" Arnav whispered softly, but she had lost consciousness. She slumped against the wall, he caught her head, fingers entwining in the silken strands of her hair, before she could fall. He took her weight over himself, "Khushi..." he whispered again ever so softly, feeling her jumping pulse with his fingers.

The clouds outside had parted, the night sky for once regaining its glorious twinkle. Full moon light evaded the darkness of the abandoned site; it was caste upon the building, permeating through the spaces in the walls that were left for windows. Her face shined in the silvery light, springing in him were new senses that vanquished completely the repulsion he had felt moments ago. Wind had blown a lock of her hair over her face, it traversed the length from her forehead till her lips. As an instinct he brushed the lock away, gently with his fingers that moved on to caress the supple softness of her cheeks damp with tears, he stroked each with such tenderness as if his touch could injure her. His action wasn't tarnished with any malice, it was never his idea to take advantage of her vulnerable state, it was simply out of curiosity and concern. He looked ahead of them, outside the window and scooped her up into his arms, carrying her out from the wreckage, out through the same mess of wooden fence over to where his car was parked. Relieved that she was safe at last, that she wasn't fighting him at last.

He placed her on the co- driving seat and reached for a water bottle, sprinkling water over her face. She moved, murmuring something unintelligible. It was then that he noticed the cut on her wrist, a little blood had dried near it, he wiped it with a tissue. He took out his phone, hoping that he had retained her address, Lakshmi Nagar wasn't too far. He found it and dialed a number, "Dr. Kapoor? Arnav here..."  

The small house with faded pink walls was erroneously called 'Chandan Kothi'. He pulled up in front of it, checking the house number. He cradled her head back into place that had dropped resting over his shoulder. He got out of the car, opened her door, unfastened her seatbelt and carried her to the front door that was open. Her one hand involuntarily clutching the collar of his shirt in her semi conscious state.  

Shyam had gone out to search for Khushi, Madhumati squatted in a chair, her head buried in her hands while Payal paced in the small hall, she picked up the old receiver and dialed Shyam's number again in case he found anything about Khushi when Arnav entered. Madhumati sprang from her chair, "What...what is this?" she shrieked, "what happened to her?"

Payal cried running to him, so frantic that she did not even look at the man's face, "Khushi...what has happened to her? Is she hurt? Where was she? Why is she..."

"Where is her room?" said Arnav flatly.

A horrified expression flitted across Madhumati's face, a strange young man carrying her unconscious and bruised young niece in his arms made her heart expect the worst, "Haye re nandkissore, has somebody..." she brought her hands over her mouth, shaking her head.

But ASR hardly paid any heed to the two women who badly needed an explanation, for he was never the one to explain. His eyes scanned around and found a room next to the hall, he briskly walked inside and stooped over the bed laying her on it, gently placing her head over the pillow, his eyes never leaving her face. He tried to stand but was jerked down as her hand still clutched at his collar tightly, he glanced at his collar and back at her, lightly holding her fingers to release him. Madhumati and Payal came running behind, "Wait a minute," said Payal angrily, "You are Arnav Singh Raizada, aren't you? Move away from my sister." she rushed to his side, snatching Khushi's hand from his, "I said move away from my sister, how dare you touch her?" she shrieked. Arnav turned to face her, "Aren't you going to tell what has happened to my niece?" cried Madhumati

"She's unconscious, I have called my doctor, he'll be here soon." he filled them sparsely.

Payal rubbed Khushi's hands, desperately, "What have you done to her now?" she demanded, "As if you weren't already harassing her? Thank you so much Mr. Raizada, you have done to us the greatest favor by bringing my sister home in this condition. My sister's fault was just that she was at the wrong place at a wrong time." she stood up to face him, her eyes spitting venom, "If my sister doesn't get all right in an hour, mind you Mr. Raizada I'll get you and your company sued." she thundered.

"You do what have to." was ASR's smug retort.

"And you leave."  

Madhumati didn't understand why would Payal 'sew' the man to his company and how would it harm him, perhaps her niece didn't know how to threaten, but she now had fully recognized the man. She flung her braid across her throat -a gesture she assumed to threaten, her rotund orbs glaring frighteningly at him, "Listen babua, you must be the boss, but in your office, if anything happens to my niece because of you, Madhumati swears by her Nandkissore, I will play a trumpet on that high head of yours to your grave. Now, you see that door, that's the way to go out of my house. Out now." she howled.

If Arnav Singh Raizada knew how to laugh, he would have laughed at the threat. But he didn't, he returned her scowl distastefully with equal fervor and stomped out from the room.

"Buaji I'll inform Shyamji that Khushi has come home and also ask him to get a doctor." said Payal.

Arnav came to a halt for a moment hearing the name, he chose to ignore and walked out. Before climbing down the steps of the verandah, he stopped by her window, it was as if a part of him was being left behind, he stared at her through the window for a prolonged moment. She lay there still unconscious, her aunt came over her, placing a soaked napkin on her forehead and wiped clean her wound. A glint of remorse showed in his eyes. He walked away.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: So that was it, I just hope it could meet your expectations. Tell me if it did, tell me if it didn't. I welcome both.

Edited by cineraria - 9 years ago
prpk525 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Loved it... Loved your explanation about why her hair was open.. In the show it was plaited and wen he pulled her it was open and flying just like that πŸ˜† ..
Loved it.. So wen is the next chappy coming,.
jg12 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Nice - hoped that Arnav would have stronger feelings for Khushi when he finally finds her & she faints but it seems to be only guilt /remorse.