Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

cineraria thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: MOnamy11

Every chapter I read and I want to read more :-) please I don't want MJ to be that Shyam !

MOnamy, I can't explain how happy your comments after each update make me. I have begun to wait for them every once I update. 

Regarding MJ and Shyam oops! I won't lie, all I'd say is read on. You won't be disappointed once you have every character out and clear.  
Edited by cineraria - 9 years ago
cineraria thumbnail

Originally posted by: reeshree

You write well. Waiting for the twists and deviations from the original. However, hope you retain Arnav's and Khushi's character same as in the show. I like it that Anjali is not overly religious and fasting and praying all the time. MJ as in Manohar Jha? 

Hi Reeshree, I am humbled by your comment and so glad that you are looking forward to it. And I am not going to change Arnav and Khushi's characters at all, I loved them the way they were. But I have added a few things to their backgrounds as you'll see in future updates.

PS: MJ could also be Michael Jackson. πŸ˜‰
cineraria thumbnail
Thank you srilu_123mayurisb80 and SilentShadow for your comments. πŸ˜ƒ

Chapter 8: Friend

Four days later

"Never forget," said Khushi feeling the sharpness of the kitchen knife with the tip of her index finger, "chili in fried rice and enemy in life." She picked a tomato with her left hand and holding the knife steady in the right, aimed it and plunged it with force into the tomato, twisting it in the fruit's flesh as red juice came out in spurts and spread on the cutting-table. She pulled the knife out with the same brutality and wiped with her finger, one drop of fresh juice that trickled over the knife. "What do they mean when they say, Cold Blooded Murder." she said tasting the drop of juice on her finger.

"Do you plan to murder Raizada?" said Payal stifling a yawn, "do that after you have cleaned this mess." she added pointing at the smudged table.

"Nah, I won't murder him but if I don't throw twenty five thousand in cash on his face along with the interest of my spit, you'd find my blood in the streams of Yamuna instead of water." she said brandishing the knife near her throat, "and him in jail."

"And how exactly do you plan to collect all that money, by robbing a bank?"

"C'mon babe, who robs a bank for twenty five thousand? My piss." she said waving the knife at Payal.

"Mind your tongue girl, if bua hears it you'd be at the receiving end of her piss."

"No way, that'll be enough to drown me. Yuck."

"On second thought Khushi, don't you think you are obsessed with that guy? I am sure he must have forgotten you by now." said Payal wiping the table.

"Let him but I will not, not after all the horrible things he has done to me. Not unless I have payed for the dent."

"Don't be silly, you know our financial condition, you know we are running out money." Said Payal impatiently.

"There has to be a way...yes," Khushi snapped her fingers, "job, yes a job."

"Are you crazy, we haven't come to settle here in Delhi, soon Amma-babuji will call us back and with what do you suppose I'll get a job? I haven't brought my certificates and degrees here, how do you suppose anyone can find a job without the proof of qualification and that too in a city like Delhi?"

"Woah, wait, I didn't say you should find a job. That's my problem and I will pay, not you, so I do jobs and earn, not you."

"You. You! You? Now, now get real."

"Why no?"

"The reasons are many but first being you are not even a graduate, simply twelfth pass and that too not with distinction."

"72.8% is distinction." Khushi defended herself.

"Where do you think that will take you and specially when you are none the better without certificates and mark sheets?"

Khushi's face fell for a moment as she considered for a while before she became a bout of effervescence. "I have my mark-sheets. They are in my diary, I always keep them there. Believe it or not, for now I am more educated than you." She ran to their room, pulled her suitcase from under the bed and rummaged through the items that remained in it, took out the diary and showed the marksheets to Payal, excited.

"Don't be so excited, this still isn't a guarantee that you'll get a job." said Payal.

The dining table chair screeched as Madhumati pulled it and howled, "Two lazy girls in the house, not a glass of water for the poor old grouse."

Payal hurriedly filled a glass and dashed to the hall, Khushi followed later with a jug. Madhumati drained the glass and glared at Khushi, "Dunderhead, what on earth are you doing with all the water left in my house?"

"Bua, but you always drink a jugful in one go. I saw you in Lucknow." said Khushi.

"There is water in Gomti but no water in Yamuna. No water in Delhi. And now since you are here, soon there'll be left no water, no flour, no rice in my little house. Haye re nandkissore, how much does she eat, this face of a goat, stomach of a cow, appetite of an elephant!"

"Buaji is there anything human about me?"

"No, nothing." she cried. "Seems like my troubles will end only with my end," she moaned sinking in the chair, "after your phupha passed away, his pension first became irregular and then was altogether stopped. Now my old legs are tired of running around government offices. They say, Madhumatiji file a case, but god knows how long the case would last, would I be alive then, or not."

"But bua, you had a sewing business, didn't you?"

"Arre bitiya, there were three women I employed- all left. Now-a-days everything is made in those big factories, handmade do not compete with machine-made things. All I have are the meager savings from business and then there was your phupha's land in his village which I had to sell." she said wiping a tear that trickled from a corner of her eye. "I am sorry, I didn't mean to whine in front of you children."

The girls hugged their aunt, "don't lose heart bua, we'll find a solution." 

ASR was greeted with a crisp breeze and light drizzle as he drove making the gentle ascent over the Meherauli hill. He turned off the air-conditioner for once and opened the car windows to let in some fresh morning air.

The drizzle had ceased when he reached his destination. He parked his car and got out but involuntarily left a window open. The site had been cleared of on-lookers and other people, there were only the contractor, the chief engineer, the architect, ASR and his manager. The men discussed the proposed mall for over half an hour, till a consensus was reached. Even if ASR had heard the engine of a sports car at a distance, he had chosen to ignore it.

As he walked over to his BMW, a very pink box marked 'Gift a Cake' placed on his dashboard could not be ignored. "Typical Lavanya." he sighed. A moment later the engine of a sports car was heard again, this time not at much a distance.

Her statuesque frame stepped down from the car. Wearing a short strapless sky-blue tunic ending well above her knees, showcasing her flawlessly toned skin; a slight, attractively dusky complexion. Her sculpture perfect curvaceous figure could intrigue any man at sight but not quite much, the equally well sculpted man standing ahead her while casually resting his arm at the door of his BMW. He looked at her, approaching him just with as much interest as he'd look at any random employee of his walking towards him, the only difference being, he did pay notice to her. The only thing that slightly interested him about her at that moment was see how she managed to tread on the uneven rocky terrain in a five-inch pencil heel.

"I expect," said ASR as Lavanya Kashyap threw her slender arms around his broad shoulders. "A kiss?" she said winking at him. "An explanation..., for that." he said pointing at the cake.

"Peanut-butter cake with no sugar, just what you like, for just the man I like." she said flashing a dimpled smile.

"Occasion?" he asked wryly.

"Well my ignorant Leo, it's your birthday today!" she said kissing his cheeks. ASR rolled his eyes - a sign of boredom. "I know ASR, you find birthday celebration and parties cheesy, but I had to do something on such a special date and you would not appreciate if I did so in office. So I thought of giving you a surprise here and see," she said putting her smooth curls on one side, "I even missed my hair appointment..."

"I see," said ASR cutting her short, "that I'll be wasting my next ten minutes cutting this cake with you."

"I am sorry, you are terribly busy," she said bringing out the cake and cutting a small piece herself, "but c'mon ten minutes aren't going to hurt".

"You know what Lavanya, "he said, a slight smile appearing on his lips, "you are among the very few people entitled to waste my precious ten minutes without a prior permission."

"Really Ace? she said flashing her dimples the second time as she turned to face him again, with a small piece in her hand. She adored what she saw. "Now comes that sort of half -a - smile on your lips and I fall in love with you a hundred times all over again..."

"The cake's good." he said, interrupting her as he took a very small bite from her hands.

"I am so glad you liked it." she said waiting for him to return her gesture.

"Now what?"

"Aren't you going to do the same with me, it's your birthday after all." He sliced a small piece, nonchalantly and fed her. "Happy birthday sweetheart." she said, "would you mind wasting your time taking me out tonight?"

"I was considering that."

"Great, see you in the office then." she hugged him and pecked his cheek. "Bye." she said getting back in her car.

ASR checked his phone which had been on silent mode, he hadn't been home last night. Instead had spent it working in his private penthouse atop his office. There were twenty seven missed calls from Anjali between 00.00am and 02.00 am; twenty from Lavanya, seven from Akash, six from MJ, five from Devyani, four from Manorma, three from a distant cousin, two from his solicitor- Mr. Roy, one from Aman and several others he didn't care about. He headed back for his office, there were a lot of things to work on as he was looking ahead for a major collaboration with a Russian Giant this week.       

Devyani Raizada prayed for longer than usual this morning. She made her usual offering to the deity and returned with her thali to the central hall where her daughter in law sat in the couch, reading newspaper alongside her granddaughter who was busy with her phone. "It took you long, praying for something special mom?" asked Manorma as she took the Prasad. "Yes indeed, I asked for another daughter in law."

The Laddoo fell from Manorma's hand as she stood up in shock, "All right, mother in law, I know you don't like me much but let me tell you that your son is not getting another wife. He's way past that age." she said pouting.

Devyani scowled, "And have you ever pondered over why I don't like you much, that's because even at this age, you never talk sense. I am not talking about your husband, I am talking about my grandson."

"Wrong choice of words, say grand-daughter in law, milady." retorted Manorma. It was Anjali's turn to be surprised. "Relax nanz, it's too early."

"Early? For god's sake, he's twenty eight, its just the right time, I should commence looking for a suitable girl for my sonny." said Devyani.

"Sonny's a step ahead, he believes in self-service. He already has..." Manorma blurted.

Devyani glared at her. Anjali tensed for a moment, "Mami is just kidding, aren't you mami?" she chimed in. "No, I am not. Arnav has...", "no girlfriend." spat Anjali shaking her head, pleading Manorma to keep quiet. Devyani looked suspiciously at both of them. "I hope you are not trying to hide something Anjali, in any case if Arnav already has a girl in his life, I'll be happy to take his choice into consideration. The only thing is, as far as I know your brother, choice is one thing, an amiable agreement over which is not happening easily between the two of us." 

"How am I supposed to know that your granny doesn't know what half the planet would know?" Manorma said in a loud whisper as soon as Devyani was out of earshot.

"Because she is not supposed to know about this, not unless I have asked Arnav. I am not sure whether he's serious about her as of yet." Anjali said in a hushed whisper.

"Not serious? Hasn't Arnav been dating that Kashyap girl for many months now?"

At a distance, Devyani pretended to be busy with her pet, she had caught the word that mattered in the conversation. "They think I am a fool, don't they my dear?" she said patting the animal, " a Ms Kashyap, is she?"  

"I am not joking, how long will buaji go on with no source of income?" argued Khushi as she picked up the used dishes from the dining table. Madhumati snored heavily in the adjacent room. "Think practically Khushi, how will you find a job in a new city with bare minimum academic qualification, no approach, no acquaintance, no knowledge about anything, no nothing. Zero." mourned Payal.

"Acquaintance?" said Khushi scratching her chin. "Of course, I know somebody in Delhi who can help. Why didn't the bell ring before?"

"Who? Bedi uncle? You'd work in his garage?"

"Arre no, you remember I told you about that Shyam guy who saved me from goons, he's a lawyer, he even gave me his card." Khushi scrambled to her room, Payal followed, apprehensive as ever. Khushi dragged her suitcase out again and began throwing her stuff out. "Hear it from me Khushi, I am not going to clear this mess you made here." said Payal looking at the floor. "GOT IT!" Khushi yelped holding the small white business card. "Wait, are you sure you are going to ask him for a favor?" "Haaye re nandkissore Payaliya," Khushi said mimicing her aunt's tone, "how much do you worry bitiya?". She went inside Madhumati's room where she was still snoring and clapped her hands near her aunt's ear. Madhumati stifled and turned on her other side and let out a massive snore. Khushi was relieved, her aunt wouldn't wake up for at least another hour. She returned to the dining room and picked up the ancient round-dial black landline phone. She wasn't going to pay the roaming charges by making a call from her mobile phone. Payal pinched her on her arm. "What now?" Khushi said rubbing her arm. "Be nice and courteous, don't start blabbering find me a job. First tell that you hope you are not bothering him. Okay?. "K".

She dialed the number looking from the card and heard the ring..."Hello." said the voice.

"Hello Shyamji?"

"Yes."

"Me speaking."

"Hi Me, how can I help you."

Khushi bit her tongue, "I mean, I am Khushi, you know Khushi from Lucknow..." Shyam smiled, what joy it was for the bored lawyer to hear the voice he had been so hoping to hear again for the past week. A voice that he had recognized the moment he heard it. "No, Khushi from Delhi it is." he said.

"How do you know I am in Delhi?" she asked surprised.

"Well, I believe a number beginning from 011 belongs to Delhi."

"Of course, how stupid of me. Actually Shyamji, I needed a favor. I was looking for a job, you see I can do any kind of job, all I need is a decent salary."

"All right, there is a vacant post of a watchman in my village, say, should I suggest your name?"  

"No, no, I mean a job in Delhi, I hope I am not bothering you." she said, remembering Payal's instruction.

"Please, cut the formality Khushi," he said and added on a serious note, " is there some urgency? If it is, I mean if money is what you need then please don't hesitate, I'd only be obliged to help."

"Oh no Shyamji, I wanted to earn my own. If only you could help me find a job, I don't know anyone here, you see."

"Well, I'll try my best but it will help if you could be more specific about the kind of work that would suit you. Like, something related with your interest or some skill that you have.."

"Yeah, I can cook well." she said encouraged.

Shyam hesitated, "well maybe, I won't be able to help much if you plan to work in a restaurant. Tell me anything else you could do, like your academic qualification, we could have some options then.

For the first time Khushi regretted to not have attended college. "Actually that's not very impressive, I am only a twelfth pass but with honors in commerce."

"That's not bad," he said trying to encourage, "I hope you are in possession of your marksheets, we'd need them."

"Yes I am."

"Did you ever go to a university, however short the period."

"Yes I did, to Lucknow University, I dropped out last year but I have my admission letter."

"Not being intrusive, but could I ask the reason why you opted out?"

"Simple, I realized Bcom wasn't what I wanted to do in my life. You know, when you don't feel like you belonged somewhere. It just wasn't me. It was so irritating."

Shyam felt his heart racing at her words."I admire you. Anyway, you can still find a clerical job. All we need is your marksheets, certificates if any and most importantly a strong worded application. If you want, I can write that for you."

"Thank you so much, but I think my sister can do that for me. Just tell me what all should it have."

"Ideally it should include a few details about you, your qualification and a copy of proof for the same. Also your field if interest, your achievements if any, your particular skills and job experience if any. Although cooking and commerce don't go well together, is there something you are exceptional at, apart from that."

Khushi knew she was exceptionally good at lying but she was not going to tell him that. "I bagged the first prize in inter-college racing tournament." she said proudly.

"That's good but I mean, any subject you are good at."

"of course, Maths." she said smiling at her mark sheet, the only subject in which she scored 90 plus in both years. "I am average at accounting."

"Great, I know just the job for you, in an inventory, you know, keeping account for supply of goods."

"Hey I have experience with that, actually I took care of the store, the ration, milk, ghee, sugar everything at our Satvik Mishthan Bhandar. In fact I remembered the figures so well that you could wake me up and 2 in night and I could tell you."

"That's great, you have the right job experience but remember to call it sweet mart instead of mishthan bhandar in your application."

"Done but how will you get the papers? I am not allowed to move out of my house."

"If you aren't allowed to move out of your house how do you suppose you'd work outside?"

"I'll convince my aunt by then, you see, I am under her house-arrest!"

"Where do you live?"

"Lakshmi Nagar, first street to the right after the signal."

This was an extreme case of coincidence for the lawyer. "That is barely a kilometer from my office. I could come over.."

"Oh no, not tomorrow, I'll need at least a day to convince bua. But wait, I have your address on the card, I can post them. The post office is five steps away, I can manage that...and listen thank you so much for all this."

"Hey, in the days of inflation, thanks is not enough. I'd ask you for a treat once you have appointment letter in your hands."

"Sure."

The line kept on playing in his mind as he fell on his bunk, 'You know, when you don't feel like you belonged somewhere', so there were still some people in this world who did just what their heart told them to, he thought. Some really lucky people who took such risks in their lives not caring for consequences. Could he do the same? That would be the beginning of an all new chapter in the lawyer's life. Shyam smiled to himself, was he falling in love with her? Or he already had? Whatever be the case, it was still too early to say... 

She walked but could barely find her way in the darkness. Why was his world so dark, she wondered. She sensed a faint light coming from a distance whose intensity increased gradually as she walked towards it, so did the intensity of sounds of people, which she followed. Soon she could see the stairs, she climbed up and her heart jumped up when she saw him. Peering at the gallery, he took no notice of her. She couldn't deny that he was breathtaking in a dark brown three piece suit, so dark that its color seemed to dissolve with the surroundings. She clutched her tote bag slinging on her shoulder, "Arnav Singh Raizada," she called out his name, "what now?" he asked wryly. "Have your money" she said unzipping her bag and flung a big bundle of notes at him, "twenty five thousand", she said but was disappointed to see that not a single note hit his face. He stood dumbfounded. She flung another bundle of notes at him, "fifty thousand" she yelled and climbed a stool kept at her side and began emptying her bag's contents over his head, "One lac". He became furious, "What the hell are you doing, you are spoiling my hair. You know how expensive my hair is? If I had to put a price to your entire life...", "Oh shut up!" She got down the stool. The crowd in the gallery clapped. She bowed, "Myself Khushi Kumari Gupta from Lucknow."   SPLASH! Khushi jerked up on the bed and stared foolishly at her sister who had a tumbler in her hand". "Who exactly doesn't know your name and address in this house Khushi?" "Duh, dream." Khushi said rubbing her wet forehead. "Morning dream! Jiji an early morning dream, I can't wait till it comes true."

"Early morning?" Payal thrust the alarm clock in her sister's hand. 9:15 it showed. "Now get up and wash yourself, or bua rains from the tap in place of water."

"With thunder and lightning." she said getting down from her bed.

MOnamy11 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Wonderful update :-) Loved khushi & payals convoy !
kondhili thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
I came across this FF and decided to have a go and read it. 
Well to be very honest i found the first 4 chapter very similar to the show and i had half a mind to stop reading but it was the way you wrote which compelled me to read the story further. 

I am going to hold on to your promise that in the coming updates this story will deviate slightly from the show. 
U definitely have a flair for writing i am looking forward to reading this story.

Can't wait for the new twists and turns to unfold. 
Could you please pm me when u update? Thanks

P.S: Its a pain to navigate through all the pages to find where the updates are...why don't u incorporate an index on the first page, just a suggestion.
cineraria thumbnail
Hi kondhili, first of all thanks for the suggestion of Index, I have incorporated it in the Prologue now. Albeit I am a Newbie and hence am not allowed to post links, for now I am giving the page number with the chapter number. Once I can post links, I'll give direct page links. πŸ˜ƒ

I am going to hold on to your promise that in the coming updates this story will deviate slightly from the show. 

As I had mentioned before, I had begun writing AHF for friends who had no idea what IPK was and made fun of my passionate monomania for the show 😭. So to begin with, I took the same plot line, scenes, incidents, etc with minor tweaks. There are a few added characters like Shyam's brother who was mentioned in the fifth chapter, he'd be mentioned again later with his Mallik connection. AHF will definitely deviate from the original plot but later. Frankly after quite a number of updates, but till then you'd find many stories from character's lives which weren't part of the show but are here as precursors for many things to happen later. I hope with that I have made my position quite clear. Thank you so much for your views. They mean a lot, no, A LOT to me.
And I'd surely send you a PM. 
Downhill thumbnail
simply superb
loved it.
cineraria thumbnail

Hola people, I did the laziest possible editing, given that  this chapter required some badly. Hope you like it. Chapter 10 coming shortly.                           

Chapter 9: Letter

Necessity often yields adventure entailing plain novelty of experience and freedom. Freedom that is a man's dearest accomplice. Khushi felt this freedom the moment she stepped out of her aunt's house with a yellow envelop that contained all that deemed necessary for applying for a particular job in a certain inventory. The very same moment she realized she could not survive without this freedom.

A black crow croaked in its raucous voice, why would it not, it was free to do that. Khushi walked to the post-office. It was a Thursday, her aunt would take longer than usual in the bath, there was just enough time for her to get a few things done.

"Sir, could you please deliver this as soon as possible?" she said giving the envelop to the postmaster sitting behind the window. The man read the address written over the envelop through thick glasses kept on his nose. He looked up at her a little confused, " In all my years of service, I haven't seen somebody sending an urgent letter by post to an address which is in the radius of a kilometer." he said.

"Lucky you. You saw it today." she said grinning. The post master re-read the addressee's name, "Hmm, Shyam babu, that lawyer? I know this chap, very nice fellow".

"That he is." Khushi could not have agreed more. The postmaster thought for a moment and then called out, "Chottu", a thin boy, aged around sixteen appeared and lightly whistled looking at the Khushi. Khushi could not suppress a giggle. "Chottu, run fast and deliver this to Shyam babu who sits near the civil court." said the postmaster. "Is it yours?" The boy asked Khushi as he took the envelop. She nodded. "In ten seconds." he said winking at her and vanished the next moment. Khushi thanked the postmaster and quickened her steps towards home. She stopped in front of Bedi's garage which was facing Madhumati's house. Happy Singh, Bedi's oldest employee appeared. "How can I help you Khushiji?"

"Where do I get a new sim from? I needed a Delhi number." she said. He considered for a moment and went inside and came out a couple of moments later with a small white envelop. "I had got myself a new sim a week back Khushiji, but Bediji gave me his, so this is not being used. If you don't mind you can have this." he said smiling brightly. "Oh no, what if you need it later?" "Not at all Khushiji, I won't need it, I am sure." he said, the smile never leaving his face. "Thank you so much Happyji."

"Butterfly, why are you sticking around the phone like a sticky house-fly?" Madhumati rang her siren in the middle of the day, putting her niece in a fix.

"B..b..b..buaji, hunting."

Bewildered at the answer, Madhumati grabbed her head, "Hunting, hunting what Nandkissore?"

"Mice. I saw a mouse, big fat mouse under the table." said Khushi rounding her eyes. She had to be around the phone, what if Shyam rang and bua picked it up?

"Sanakadevi, there were 200 mice in your store at Gomti Sadan, did you ever hunt down a single? Why ye give a sample of your brain every day?" 

"Khushi...come here." Payal called from the kitchen.

"Mad girl, it may take him a week to find an empty post for you. He's not calling you today." said Payal as Khushi ambulated about the kitchen. "Last time when I was so tensed was when my tenth board result came out." Khushi said as she took out a bowl and filled it with sugar. "Are you going to...?" Payal looked at her sister in disbelief. "Me doing tension." pronounced Khushi munching on a mouthful of sugar!

Akash Singh Raizada shifted nervously in a Herman Miller chair inside his brother's cabin, chewing a lollypop. He tried to focus on his presentation, had he made any significant mistake? He had spent last four days and nights working on it and had even consulted his Wharton University notes on advanced marketing techniques. All he had hoped for was, his brother to point out the shortcomings in the conference room itself, give suggestions or opinionate and spare him for rest of the day. But no, ASR had ditched any expression throughout the presentation or in case he had not, his expressions remained inscrutable for Akash. All he had said was to wait for him in his cabin after the board members had dispersed. For god's sake he was his brother, Akash pacified himself but then when it came to criticism ASR had a tendency to forget that the former was his brother. Akash remained forever in awe of his elder cousin. Although Arnav never expressed his wish for Akash following his footsteps, Manorma had always wanted her son to be like Arnav. Akash had to look up to him for everything henceforth.

As soon as he saw him through the glass, climbing the stairs, he shot up from the chair and dumped his lollypop into what anybody could confuse with a potted Marginata but was in fact a state of art trash can.

ASR entered a couple of moments later, stopped at the door and slightly shook his head. "Its creepy." he said in a barely audible whisper and walked up to a cut shelf in the opposite wall. He pressed a small button on the wall. Two inconspicuous nozzles in the false ceiling sprayed controlled amounts of room freshener. "Can you explain why my cabin smells like a strawberry flavored candy bar?" he said casting a disgusted look at his brother. Akash grinned sheepishly. "How did you find my presentation?" he asked plainly.

"Good," said ASR as he seated himself in his Herman Millar Embody, "you could present it at a guest lecture in your University." Akash stared at him blankly. "And that's all it was like- too theoretical." he added.

"You mean it wouldn't work?" asked Akash.

"I didn't say that. You always liked marketing, didn't you?"

"I loved it."      

"You liked it because your University educated you about the reasons to like it. Your presentation displayed how well educated you are on the subject; education, which is not learning."

"About time I realized that." muttered Akash.

"You know what Akash, the day I left the Harvard, I left it. Not because I think I spent my years there in vain, but because I knew it wasn't enough to make me what I am. Entrepreneurs are not made at Universities, they are either born or made through experiences. If I asked you, you'd give me a list of reasons to like marketing but I'd give you one practical reason for why I dislike it. And that is because I don't like to lie.

"But all of marketing is not about a lie." Akash defended.

"Not damned lies maybe, but statistical lies. About creating a widely excepted illusion and when it comes to illusion it was ironic to bring real time statistics into that. You may leave now." He ended abruptly.

Akash fidgeted with the pen in his hand for a while, was idealism a myth in their business? He wondered and then rose from his seat lazily. His hand was on the handle when his brother spoke up, "I am considering putting a No-Candy bar sign along with the No-smoking one in this office." making Akash swear loudly.

At 9:15 the following morning, the ancient black landline rang finally. Khushi leapt to it and placed it down after two minutes. Payal looked at her questioningly. "Sharma Aunty asking about water-supply." said a dejected Khushi. The phone rang again at 10:30, this time she picked up with a reduced excitement. "Hello?"

"Somebody is lucky today." said a voice.

"Who is it?"

"public memory is short indeed."

"Oh, Shyamji...sorry...any news." she whispered.

"Umm, Just that I have your appointment letter in my hands, how do you wish to receive it?"

Khushi leapt up in joy, "I'll come, when are you free?"

"Seems like you have convinced your aunt."

"Of course." Khushi lied.

"I have no hearings today, so I am free, you say about your convenience."

"I'll call you then. We can meet at the market near your court."

"Sure."

"Haaye re Nandkissore, whose phone is it?" asked Madhumati from the kitchen.

"Wrong number buaji." Khushi said keeping the receiver down.

"You talk that long to a wrong number?"

"There was a confusion, the guy was looking for some Madhumati Sharma..." she lied again and then saw Payal. "Jiji...done." she nodded her head vigorously.

"Why didn't you ask him to post, idiot, how will you go now?" whispered Payal.

"What if Buaji received the post? I can't stick to the door the entire day, no, there has to be another way." said Khushi.

Half an hour later...

Payal stared outside from the window, "such a nice whether today, I am sure it will rain."

"Rain?" Madhumati squinted through her glasses, looking up at the clear blue sky. There was no trace of a cloud.

"Yes, I have a feeling it will rain. Oh, how I wish to go out today bua." Madhumati scratched her chin, "Arre bitiya, it's the first time you wished to move out. I will take you out with me." Madhumati closed her eyes expecting to hear a loud 'I will also come' from her younger niece. She didn't hear anything. Khushi sat quietly in a chair, pretending to wipe a flower pot. "Did you hear Sanakadevi, I was taking Payaliya out with me. "she said staring at Khushi.

"Great, you guys go, I have a headache." she said looking up. Madhumati blinked. "Sanakadevi saying no for outing? You were ready to roam even when you were half dead with jaundice." she exclaimed.

"That was long time back buaji, I have changed." Madhumati stared at Payal and then at Khushi and repeated the exercise several times. Had they swapped personalities, or what? "We can leave Khushi if she doesn't want to bua." said Payal eagerly.

"Wait, if you promise not to eat much, I have no problems in taking you out Khusee." said Madhumati thoughtfully.

"No buaji, seriously I don wanna go out."

"Okay, then bolt the door behind and take rest while we are out." Khushi nodded.

Strange, wondered Madhumati. Something was not right...as she and Payal went outdoors. Khushi saw them leave through the window. "Yes. "she exclaimed and dialed the number..."hello Shyamji, can we meet now?"

Khushi's eyes stopped at the vaguely familiar symbol which formed the watermark of the paper that confirmed her appointment to the clerical post at an inventory. The name AR group of industries also seemed to ring a bell, but which bell she couldn't make out. She wondered if it was simply her insanity. "Thank you very much Shyamji, your treat is due." she smiled at the lawyer.

"Well that I'll have when you receive your first salary cheque. For now, what about me treating you with a cup of tea? They serve an excellent tea across the street."

"Oh no, I was in a hurry.."

"Oh c'mon, one cup of tea won't take long."

"No Shyamji I have some urgent work, gotta run." she said and hurried her steps in the opposite direction.

At a distance...

"Arre Payaliya, come bitiya, we'll have the best gol-gappas of dilli. The round, spicy, gappu-gappu ones made near the civil court.

Payal began sweating in nervousness.

"No bua, not civil court, not gol gappas, they are very unhygienic. No way, I am not going...I mean we are not going near the civil court." Payal protested.

"Haaye re Nandkissore, look at these girls now-a-days, they say golgappa is unhealthy. Arre bitiya, tens of golgappas disappeared inside my mouth at one go when I was your age. Do I look unhealthy?" she said literally dragging her niece.

Payal prayed that it be Khushi who spots them first.

Madhumati's rotund, drum like figure was never hard to spot. Khushi stopped in her tracks, made an about-turn and raced back towards Shyam. "You said about the tea across the street?" she blurted.

"But you said you had to go..."

"Changed my mind. Let's have tea. Now." she said already on a run for the next street.

Her eyes wandered madly, searching around for the familiar figure of her aunt and sister.

"Are you looking for someone or something?" said Shyam observing her unease.

"No. Not at all. No. Why would I? I was just lookin around. I love crowded places. Nice tea anyways." she babbled while rapidly slurping her tea.

"Would you like to have a samosa?"

"No thank you."

"Are you sure? I am going to have one, my lunch you see,"he grinned.

"Gone." Khushi gasped spotting her aunt again.

"Whats gone?" asked Shyam, confused.

"Nothin. I said go on, go on, have your samosa."

Shyam turned to the stall, "one samosa please" he said and saw Khushi crouching behind a board of an STD PCO. "Hey what are you doing?"

"Enjoying the sun." she replied.

Madhumati was now just across the street; very much visible, very much audible. Khushi's heart pounded noisily in her chest.

She jumped out of her hiding, grabbed the samosa from Shyam's plate and stuffed it in her mouth.

Madhumati saw her back. She slapped her forehead. The long braid and the blue kurti were unmistakably of her niece. "I knew it", she growled, "I knew Sanakadevi was up to something, but who is this man she is flirting with?"

Payal went pale.

Madhumati thumped in her direction, caught hold of the girl's braid and turned her," you wretched liar..."

"What are you doing auntyji, are you blind?" screamed the girl whom Madhumati realized was not her niece.

"Huh? sorry...b...bitiya, I just said that you had very nice hair, just like my niece. Hehehehe. Sorry." said Madhumati as sweetly as she could. She even batted her eyelashes.

"You are a little weird." chuckled Shyam as he saw her gobbling the hot samosa.

"I love being weird, you stand out in a crowd."

"That you certainly do."

"Listen, Shyamji, thanks again for everything...gotta run now." she said and slipped away, relieved to find her aunt still engaged in altercation with a girl who wore an attire similar to her. Some days are just lucky. Khushi hurried her steps, in order to avoid another encounter she'd have to take a longer route home.

Payal moved deliberately slow, wishing Khushi had reached home before they did. They approached the door, Madhumati rang the bell thrice. No answer.

"She could be asleep bua." Payal reasoned.

Khushi threw her bag in through the window and tried to climb. Her palms were slippery due to sweat, she managed to drop inside in the third attempt. Madhumati had her hand pasted on the doorbell by then. Khushi scrambled towards the door.

"What took you so long?" the aunt demanded.

Khushi stifled a yawn. "I was sleeping."

"You numbskull, dunderheaded clod", bellowed Madhumati, "now you want to do a job?"

Khushi nodded a yes.

"And where will this job come from?" said Madhumati dancing her eye brows.

"I ...I have it...already bua. Shyamji got me."

Madhumati widened her eyes, looked up at the ceiling and back at Khushi, "Re Syam, re Ghansyam, Radhesyam, I prayed Syamji all my life," she said pointing her finger at the ceiling," but he was unable to help my business, and now you say he got you a job. Mad girl, God doesn't hear you that easy."

"Bua, I am not talking about the Shyamji who lives in sky, I am talking about the one who lives here in Delhi."

Madhumati stared at her.

When earthquake is inevitable, all you hope is that it is low on the Richter scale. Khushi narrated the carefully worked out story to her aunt, giving details only where necessary.

The girls tried for an hour, but the aunt couldn't be convinced. There was only one way left now...

Madhumati took one huge sip of her evening tea and spat it. "What is this Nandkissore?" she blared.

"Tea buaji." said Payal meekly.

"but where is the sugar, you put it in your mouth instead of my cup?"

"In here." said Khushi walking out from the kitchen, dangling an empty container in front of her aunt." There was...four grains of sugar," she tapped her fingers on the table, "came black ants and the grains were gone."

Payal went back to the kitchen and returned with an empty vessel, "No milk either."

"Just imagine bua, what will happen when the last of our savings would be gone in milk and sugar?" said Khushi rounding her eyes. Madhumati felt the pocket in her kurti, she took out a small napkin in which were wrapped a few notes of worth hundred and a lot of jiggling coins.

Inane reveries came easily to a few members of the Gupta family. Madhumati's world became black and white; she saw her hungry niece crying for dinner. God knew she could bear to see anything but her niece hungry like that! "Bua," began Payal, "soon there'll be three helpless women with no pension and a FLOP sewing business, add to your declining health..."

"Stop it." screamed Madhumati, "look I can't let this nuisance have more nuisances in her life. Aye Khusee, stop burbling like a municipality tap, if you so wish to work then go and ask your babuji, if he says yes, I will have no problems. Let him say that if anything goes wrong with you, it won't be my responsibility. If you agree to that, go ahead do what you feel like. Go to hell, go to anywhere you like. Now call your father."

At Gomti Sadan...

"Sasi babu, please don't do this, don't pay me, I'll work for free, please babu I can't leave you alone like this.." said Lallan, one of Shashi Gupta's oldest employees.

"No Lallan, it isn't rightful of me to keep you, knowing well that I am not in a condition to pay my workers. You have a family to support Lallan, go find yourself another job. I am sure you'll get it soon enough."

"You think it's right for me to leave you on your own in these hard times? No babuji, I cannot forget all that you have done for me during my hard time." said the tearful worker.

"Then do me one favor Lallan, please leave. I'll call you back when I'll need you, okay?"

Lallan began to weep. Mr. Gupta placed his hand on his shoulder, "After every dark night, follows a bright day. Our dark nights wouldn't last forever. Soon we'd see sunshine, go now beta."

Lallan looked at the shop with longing in his tearful eyes. The shutter and the frames of the photos of Hindu gods were still broken from the assault. He left his employer's premise.

Shashi Gupta walked home slowly. He was tired from the day's work. He was tired of wait, tired of giving hopes when he himself couldn't see any. His loans had to be repaid but the small shop had lost most of its customers in the past week. If the besmirching video of his daughter wasn't enough, there were the self-proclaimed guardians of the society, ironically the ones who in fact are the real threat, who came with iron sticks and chains on the very same day as his daughters had left. They severely injured the workers on the shop, threw on the road the vessels full of milk and oil, threw the freshly prepared sweets, tried to blacken the face of the owner. By the time the police reached, Shashi Gupta's little shop was ramshackle. The man lost all his customers for a week. He now couldn't afford to keep his valuable workers. Only one remained to sustain the shop.

He entered his house and went straight to his room, opened a drawer and took out the file that had caused him to lose all his night's sleep. The shop was not the end of Gupta's troubles. He was not sure whether he indeed believed that there would ever be a bright day. He opened the file, this was something about which he even hadn't intimated his wife. The Government notice stated that he'd have to vacate Gomti Sadan in 10 days as the property would be utilized in Urban Land Development- a phrase often used to camouflage the capitalistic favoritism by most governments. It was obvious that the property seized from the locals would be transferred to some rich builder who intended to construct luxury homes for those who could afford living in them. The locals would be given a compensation (though insufficient) on production of appropriate documents pertaining to ownership.

Shashi Gupta had been looking for the registry since the day he got the notice. But was it possible to obtain the papers of a property that his ancestors had owned since the pre-independence era and which was the only piece of land he could call his own? He had tried all his sources, consulted a lawyer and visited the Patwari from his native village who couldn't have said more to dishearten him when he told him about a piece of land that was given to his great grandfather on lease for ten years. The property had somehow remained with the family for all these years but now Mr. Gupta had no chance of retaining it.

The telephone in the next room rang, bringing him back. "Must be Payal or Khushi." said an excited Garima. Shashi gupta picked up the phone, composing himself, "hello?"

"Babuji...". after the general greetings in which none of them conveyed the actual troubles they were going through, Khushi finally came to her point. She briefed her father about his sister's poor finances and how she intended to help her. After a moment of deep thought, said Mr. Gupta, "Go ahead my child, I know you can do it. Help your bua."

"Thank you so much babuji." she rang in shrill excitement.

Mrs. Garima Gupta was greatly disappointed with her husband's decision. "Why did you say yes? I could have allowed if it were Payal, but Khushi? You know she's still a child. She isn't mature enough to handle the problems and pressures..."

"Garima", he said interrupting her, "I know what I have done. Khushi may have her weaknesses but that doesn't mean she isn't bright. I have faith in my child's capabilities."  

*****              Edited by cineraria - 9 years ago
cineraria thumbnail

And here comes the next. I guess I can hurry the updates with the filler chapters.                          

Chapter 10: Job

The stage for Delhi rains was set. Loud and roguish winds announced the arrival of monsoon as dense clouds enwrapped the morning sky. Khushi heard it's joyful thunder just as she rang the temple bells. A soft misty smoke of the incense rose from the deity's feet that filled her senses with awe as always. She knew she was early, it was only half past seven and the office began at nine but that gave her enough time to hear the morning prayers. She had chosen her favorite orange coloured kurti with golden designs that matched with her sneakers. The three laddoos that Madhumati made for her felt so good in her stomach.

As she came out, she saw a little beggar girl with no arms crying on the steps. Khushi felt her purse and took out most of the coins she had. In the process her bag dropped on the ground and a white envelope fell out. Before she could see, a gust of wind blew it away. Khushi lifted her bag, gave the coins to the girl and left.

Vladislav Baryshnikov, owner of Moda Baryshnicovs, Russia - The Russian fashion giant, called ASR on his mobile phone, to express his deep regret over not being able to join him in India where the two companies would witness their major collaboration. Baryshnicov's health was on a decline since he was diagnosed of leukemia and he intended to send his immediate successor Stanislav Agafonov, the first non-Baryshnicov to take over the Baryshnikov business after the former retired. Vladislav held deep admiration for his young Indian counter-part and maintained 'equals should deal with equals' and thus was apologetic that ASR will have to sign the deal with his junior (at least in position) Agafonov. ASR, on the other hand considered everything apart from the signed deal not worth a tinker's damn. He was relieved that he'd be free of the formality of showing Baryshnikov around the city. Baryshnikov concluded the call by giving his sincere compliment to his Indian counterpart, saying that he could see AR as one of the biggest fashion houses of the world in near future.

ASR however, despite of being unwilling at first, decided to receive his Russian guests at the airport personally instead of sending for his manager - an extraordinary gesture when it came to him.

Stanislav Agafonov disembarked the private jet along with his subordinates Yegor Vetrov and Illarion Barkov.

"Dobro pozhalovat'v India (Welcome to India.)" ASR enunciated Russian with such perfection that took Agafonov by a surprise.

"Moy boss must haf' spoken to you on phone." Agafonov said in a heavily accented English.

"Yes we did. I am informed about his health and I wish he recovers soon. " said ASR mechanically. "Meet my manager Aman Mathur, he'd be taking you to our guest house, I hope you take pleasure in your stay here."

Stanislav Agafonov delighted in his captious self. His father had imbibed in him, a strong sense to find fault. He wasn't convinced when his superior had said 'byt' uvereny, net oshibki' regarding their Indian partners. Nothing could be perfect, was Agafonov's belief ; Neudovletvorennost' (excessively critical), was what his superior called him. So far, the Indian hospitality impressed him, although it wasn't something he'd admit to himself.

The inventory wasn't like what Khushi had imagined it to be. It was larger and with a huge number of cartons towards her left. There was the same familiar symbol of AR on the right wall, this time only a lot more familiar but still she couldn't recollect, exactly where she had seen it. The man sitting at the desk was busy talking with another one standing. "Excuse me," she said, "I am Khushi Kumari Gupta, I got appointed for the post of..."

"Show me your appointment letter please." said the sitting man interrupting her. Khushi opened her bag and rummaged through its contents. She went pale, she couldn't see the white envelope. The man became impatient after a while, "tell me, do you have the appointment or no?". "I had it, I can't find it." she said and pulled out one item after other from her bag, an idol (tiny) of goddess Durga, tit-bits, a jar of Chyavanprash, a comb, some berries which she didn't take out and a ...tiny key, it was the same key that Arnav Singh Raizada had thrown away at the dargaha, she still had it on herself although she couldn't figure out why. Did she intend to keep it as a souvenir, reminding her that she had once met such a man?

"I...I have lost the letter." she gasped.

"Then I can't help you." said the man. Khushi felt like screaming. How could it be? She remembered putting the white envelop carefully in her bag. The man who was standing looked thoughtfully at the tensed girl. "Is it you, who were recommended by Shyam babu?" he asked her. "Yes, yes." she replied.

"I see then, miss you should go to the main office and meet Lavanya madam." said the sitting man.

"Where is it?"

"Connaught Place, anyone can guide you where AR designs is at CP."

"How far is it from here?"

"thirty minutes by road, eight minutes by metro."

At the elaborate front entrance of the sprawling office tower, Khushi hesitated before stepping on the spotless white marble. The door-mat was four steps into the entrance and the sole of her sneakers were dirty with wet mud. For a moment she thought whether she should remove her shoes and then walk inside, like in a temple, the only difference being the floor here was cleaner than any temple's floor she had seen. "I don't have all the time in the world miss, decide fast you want to step in or not." said an impatient uniformed man holding a standing mop. She stepped in quickly and the man began mopping the already ultra clean floor. She rubbed her shoes vigorously at the doormat and noticed the symbol of AR once again on the glass doors that opened on their own as she approached them.

Khushi looked around wide eyed. She had never thought an office could be so grand and so beautiful. The amount of money the owner (whoever he/ she/ it was) she wondered, wasted simply on the office decor, could have fed all of Delhi's below poverty line population for an year. The floor here was pure granite. She saw men and a few women, all dressed in formals, mostly black. Their shoes were polished to the extent that she could see her face in them. She walked over to the reception. "Yes, how can I help you?" a smart looking woman, wearing a full-sleeved white shirt and a black kilt asked her. Her hair were tied in a bun, not even a single strand was out of place. "Urr, could I meet Lavanya ma'am."

"Ms. Lavanya Kashyap?" said the receptionist looking strangely at her. "Well her office is in the west side, you see that gate on the right?" Khushi looked in the direction where she pointed and saw another large glass door, "go straight in and ask for her at the reception there."

"Thanks." she said and headed for the door, a moment later ASR entered, dressed impeccably as usual in a black suit. Albeit the murmur among the staff members was barely audible previously, the sudden silence that seized the room as soon as the boss entered was palpable. Khushi did notice it, but didn't turn to see who caused it. She entered a corridor through the door and walked till she found herself in a hall, smaller than the previous one. To her relief, people talked rather freely in this part of the office. There were women and a few men- a demographic reversal from the previous. They were not dressed in formals, men sported T shirts, a couple of men even appeared to be queer and women...looking at them, the three laddoos in her stomach didn't feel nice anymore. Most of them came under the category of scantily clad for Khushi. From strapless blouses, off-shoulders, miniskirts and other forms of skimpy clothing, surprisingly none of them looked vulgar. They carried their attire with grace showing of their admirable figures. Khushi wondered how many times a month or week did they get a body wax.

"God Sim, why don't you give your poor hair some air?" said a girl wearing a white frock to the receptionist. Khushi walked towards them, "Excuse me, can I see Ms. La..." The girl in white turned to face her and shrieked, "ouch, sorry darling but I can't excuse you for this fancy dress." she said lifting a tiny pom-pom hanging from Khushi's sleeve. "No I said can I meet Ms. Lavanya Kashyap."

"Baby, there are only two kinds of people who come here, one who want to meet La, others who want to be La, now you tell me, do have an appointment with her?"

"No."

"Then wait till I fix one for you."

Khushi sat, about an hour passed. She kept on looking around. She didn't see any bulbs or tube lights, the light seemed to be coming from somewhere behind the ceiling, she couldn't be sure. The only thing she was sure about was that she didn't like this place however glamorous it seemed. "Have you fixed my appointment?"

"She isn't available yet."

Lavanya Kashyap stormed in through the door, the very next moment. "Pam, I need to see you in my cabin. Now." she cried hoarse. The girl in white ran after her, "what 'appened doll." Khushi stood up, "Is that her?" she asked the receptionist. "Yup." Sim replied. "Look i can' wait no longer." she said and followed the two women. "Hey, wait..." cried the receptionist from behind.

"God, La why did you have sea food when you are allergic to it?" cried Pam.

"It's just a mild allergy, I won't die of it Pam, I can have it a thousand times for ASR, he loves it. Now do something, this rash is burning." Pam hurriedly took out a tube of a topical cream and applied it the rash, "oh doll, aren't you just crazy for him." she said.

Khushi barged into the room, "Lavanya ma'am I have been..." she began.

"Who the hell is she, Pam?" Lavanya whined, "please take her out of here, now."

"But I came here to meet you, it's urgent." Khushi protested. "See her later dear." said Pam dragging Khushi out of the door. Khushi grumbled and sat again in her old place. Twenty minutes later a tall, pretty girl appeared at the door. "Pia Malhotra, right?" the receptionist chirped. The girl nodded. "La's cabin is to the right, she's been waiting for you, you are her new assistant, aren't you?" The girl nodded again and walked towards Lavanya's room. "Hey wait, you are in queue, I came before you." Khushi interjected. The receptionist got up from her chair, "look miss, be seated, she has an appointment, and please stop moving around with your colorful self like that, it makes me feel like 26th January's celebrations are taking place at AR instead of Raj Marg." Khushi opened her mouth to protest when all at once the room went silent. "ASR" Sim gasped. He appeared momentarily at a door on the first floor, overlooking this part of the office. "Send Lavanya to my cabin, right now." Khushi was sure she had heard the voice before, she turned to see its owner but he was already gone. Maybe it was the sheer unfamiliarity of the place that his voice didn't register in her mind.

Pia Malhotra saw the opportunity. She walked to the right and then took the fleet of rounding stairs up to the first floor. She hadn't joined the office to be some Lavanya Kashyap's assistant anyway, it was just a contrivance to find her way into the sexy glass cabin of the sexy CEO.

She knocked discreetly at his door. "Lavanya where is that Mehta and Mehta file?" he said, too occupied to even look up and see who just entered his cabin. Pia moved to one of the cut shelves and found a file marked Mehta and Mehta right in front of her. All men are same, she mused, they'll fail to see things right in front of them. She kept the file on the table. "Why haven't I received the mail yet, Lavanya, I asked you to send me the Park report..." he spoke in an angry tone and looked up from his computer screen for the first time. "Who the hell are you, where's Lavanya?" he exclaimed getting up from his chair.

"I am Pia, La's new assistant." she said extending her hand. Lavanya came rushing to the room. "You called me?" she asked.

"What's going on here?" he said clearly annoyed, "I haven't received your mail on Park's report yet."

"I am working on it." she said meekly.

"You are still working on it damn it, my office doesn't run like that. Look at your new assistant, she's doing what you were supposed to do." he scolded. Pia smiled slyly, she had scored a point. Lavanya caught that. "You'd receive it soon ASR, Pia can I talk to you for a moment please."

Once out of his cabin, "You bitch, how dare you enter his cabin without my permission?" Lavanya said scornfully.

"But I was only assisting you."

"Don't try to be smart with me, I know very well whom you were trying to assist, get out of here now."

"But you appointed me La..."

"Screw the appointment, you are fired." Lavanya stomped off to her cabin and saw Khushi waiting outside, "God, this caricature is still here, throw her out."

"Wait a minute La," Pam chimed in, "you fired Pia, now would you hold another interview, you need a secretary, don't you?"

Lavanya considered for a moment and then it struck her. At a distance stood a confused looking girl wearing a sparkling bright orange kurti with glittering golden designs, her hair was tied in a braid and shined, revealing the amount of oil used to keep it in place. She looked like just the kind of girl who could never grab or even try to grab her boyfriend's attention. "I found her." Lavanya flashed a dimpled smile and winked. "Hey you Glitters" she said snapping her fingers at Khushi, "I am talking to you, I have a job for you, be my personal assistant, do you agree." Khushi stared blankly at the woman who made her realize recently what were the kind of girls, magazines described as 'Bombshells'. "but I got a job at the inventory..." Khushi began. "Yes or no Glitters, decide fast, opportunity knocks thy door, once." Khushi thought fast. "Y..yes." she uttered.

Khushi's juvenile spirit took fancy to have her own little desk, chair and computer reserved in the right corner, near the stairs in that confusingly large office. She took out her idol of Goddess Durga and placed it on her table, along with that she placed a couple of other items from her bag (including the small jar of Chyavanprash) on the table to make herself feel at home. Sim handed her a notepad with the emblem of AR and thin booklet of general rules, regulations and protocols to be adhered to during office hours. It also provided with a number, new employees should dial in case assistance be needed. On the first page of the booklet was a quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson - 

"Manners have been somewhat cynically defined to be a contrivance of wise men to keep fools at a distance. Fashion is shrewd to detect those who do not belong to her train, and seldom wastes her attentions."

The second page said that the office began sharp at 9:00 am but nothing was mentioned regarding when the shutters were pulled down. The employees had the luxury of a lunch break from 2:30 pm to 2:40 pm and two other recreational breaks, each of 15 minutes duration. "Only ten minutes for lunch?" asked a shocked Khushi.

"Baby, this is AR not a government office that you enjoy one hour for lunch and siesta." replied Sim.

Khushi tried to work hard. Lavanya gave too many instructions that came too fast for her. None in the western office addressed her by her real name, she had been branded 'Glitters'. Glitters skittled about this part of the building, following her boss' instructions and often got lost in her foray. She asked for directions and discovered that not many people were inclined to help. She also discovered that the office had a recreational area which consisted of a gym, two billiard tables, play stations and even an indoor golf but no indoor cricket. She wondered whether the chairman had this ingenious idea of keeping his/her/it's workforce indoors even for the measly half an hour in the name of recreation.

While she was away, ASR took a tour of the western office while Lavanya Kashyap moved around him, trying to make up for her blooper in the morning. "Look ASR, I wasn't on time, I am really sorry for that, you see I had this allergic reaction...but Park's report is ready now, hey...ASR are you listening to me, I said I am sorry."

"Yeah, I heard you." he said slightly irritated and then a table with a small idol on top of it caught his eye. "Whose stuff is that?" he asked getting a little restless.

"Oh, that's my new assistant's." she replied.

"Listen Lavanya, Agafonov will be here anytime and a captious bas***d that he is, I don't want him to have one reason to satiate his craving for some petty carping, so you make sure that everything happens the way it always does. Perfect."

"But Ace, why would anything go wrong at AR, there is simply no reason."

"I told you my gut feeling and it's a bad one." was all he said.

At precisely twelve thirty Stanislav Agafonov entered ASR's impressive commercial edifice along with his subordinates Yegor Vetrov and Illarion Barkov. The Russians were escorted to the conference hall on the first floor where all the important people from the board of directors except for Akash Singh Raizada had gathered. Only a handful of media persons were given access to the event where the agreement on collaboration was signed by both the parties. There was no celebration following the event, given Vladislav Baryshnicov's poor health but the Russians had expressed their wish to take an office tour.

Khushi had the last task on her list before lunch break, to get Lavanya's Macaroni salad from the office canteen. "Excuse me Aunty, one Macrooni salad please." she told the cafe operator.

"New here? Then know one thing, I am not your aunty, call your mum aunty, I am no aunty, I am Manju." grunted the cafe operator.

"I call my mum Amma, why should I call her aunty? Anyways gimme a macrooni salad A-U-N-T-Y." she giggled.

Manju took out a covered round dish from the refrigerator and heated it in the microwave. After a minute she handed it to Khushi. Khushi made a face looking at it. "How much for this yuck?"

"Four hundred bucks." was the reply, "you are taking this for Lavanya ma'am aren't you then I'll deduct it from her account. Go now."

"Can I ask you one thing aunty, why is everyone in such a hurry here?"

Manju didn't reply to her question. Khushi needed a cup of tea badly. She asked the price. "Fifty bucks for tea." was the reply. Khushi went away with the salad, she placed it on La's table and left the cabin. She decided to have her tea from a tea stall, if she found any outside.

While walking out on the same route she had walked in from, she noticed something which she had failed to see in the morning. In one ignored corner of the extra large hall, there was a tiny wooden temple. Something that Anjali had kept when the office was inaugurated. There was a small idol of goddess Durga and a little lamp packed in a glass cabinet. Khushi walked over to it and joined her palms. She then did something that Anjali would do whenever she came to the office, something that Lavanya Kashyap would never do. Nobody noticed her as she lit the small diya, what she forgot was to keep it back in the glass cabinet. She then sprinted out to treat herself with tea, remembering that she had only ten minutes.

During the one hour it took them to see around the office Agafonov reminded ASR several times how they never compromised on quality in Russia. Baryshnicov was known to provide his customers with the same luchshaya tkan (the best fabric) with which his own suits were tailored and he expected the same from his Indian partners. He also expressed that he hoped to see the same perfection throughout their partnership, which he witnessed today in India. As they re-entered the front office to bid the Russians a fare well, ASR assured Agafonov," Vy poluchite ne men'she, ehem ideal'nyy.(you'll get nothing less than perfect)"

ASR did not notice the girl who left through the exit a moment ago. "Y A vostorge (I am delighted)." as soon as these words left Stanislav Agafonov's mouth, the entire place buzzed with loud fire alarms. All expressions left ASR's face as he lifted his eyes up at the ceiling without lifting up his face. The very same moment a shutter in the false ceiling opened right above his head and a jet of water came rushing out, drenching the two men. Guards were alerted and within a minute the alarms and water was stopped but the men in the hall were already dripping. Aid rushed with large towels and uniformed men came with wipers to dry the floor.

"It's imperative for me to know what or who caused it." said ASR, his anger barely concealed as he wiped with his thumb the wetness on the light stubble on his chin.

N0306 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
The story is very good.. But it is running almost same as the serial.. So it gets bit boring.. But you have written well..