In the latest edition of Celebrity In The Spotlight, BollyCurry has chosen to shine the light on an actress who is well known to all the fans of Indian cinema. Not only is she a phenomenal actress, but she is also grace personified when she dances. We are, of course, talking about the one and only Madhuri Dixit Nene.
Born in 1967, Madhuri Dixit-Nene, as she has been known after marriage, hardly looks her 48 years of age. A leading
She made her debut in 1984, with the film Abodh, but received wider public recognition with Tezaab four years later. Dixit-Nene went on to establish herself as a force to reckon with and an actress here to stay, with films such as Ram Lakhan (1989), Parinda (1989), Dil (1990), Saajan (1991), Beta (1992), Khalnayak (1993), Hum Aapke Hain Koun...! (1994), Raja (1995) and Dil Toh Pagal Hai (1997). Films such as Anjaan (1994), Mrityudand (1997), Pukar (2000), Lajja (2001) and Devdas (2002) garnered her much acclaim from the critics as well.
Dixit took a sabbatical from films starting in 2002 to shift her focus to her marital life and raise her children. After 5 long years, she finally made her comeback in 2007 with the dance-heavy Aaja Nachle, proving to the world that she was still light on her feet and a charismatic persona on the screen. She later starred in the 2014 dramas Dedh Ishqiya and Gulaab Gang.
Besides acting in films, Dixit has been a judge for four seasons of the dance reality show Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa. She has also participated in several stage shows, and engaged in philanthropic activities. In 2014, she was appointed the UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador in India.
- She has been dancing since the age of 3, and is trained as a professional kathak dancer.
- Tezaab was her first hit at the box office, four years after her first acting role in Bollywood. It also led to her first nomination for the Filmfare Best Actress Award.
- Her first Filmfare Best Actress Award was won in 1990 for the super-hit Dil.
- She is married to Dr. Shriram Madhav Nene, an American cardiovascular surgeon with whom she has two children.
- She has been nominated for 16 Filmfare Awards, and won 5 of them.
Writer: Aradhna K.