Rafi Re-visited: Sonu's Tribute to Rafi

*salil* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Rafi re-visited............

The legendary Mohammed Rafi performed 26,000 songs during his lifetime and now Sonu Nigam has teamed up with the City of Birmingham Symphony (CBSCO) Orchestra in a unique collaboration performing 18 of the greatest Rafi songs of all time. On June 20 the album of Rafi songs exclusively arranged for CBSO Rafi Resurrected will be released worldwide, followed by a national tour of the UK in July, with performances at the Symphony Hall Birmingham, Manchester's Apollo Theatre and the London Coliseum, home of the English National Opera.

Artistic Producer Tim Pottier listened to many recordings in search of material that could be played live on stage by a symphony orchestra. It was recorded in Mumbai and Tim tells us that most of the percussionists he worked with had played on original Rafi recordings. "It was quite remarkable. They had all known Rafi personally!"

Source:
http://www.mumbaimirror.com/net/mmpaper.aspx?page=article&contentid=20080601200806010310007706c070658&sectid=89
(second article)

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Guardian Angel thumbnail
Thanks a lot Salilbhaiya. Nice to see your post as I know you have been busy. 🤗
Kanta80 thumbnail
Here's the cover page of the CD. Can't wait for it..

Edited by Kanta80 - 15 years ago
Kanta80 thumbnail

Sonu to sing Rafi with UK orchestra
AMIT ROY
Rafi

London, June 18: Western classically trained musicians from the famed City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra (CBSO) will provide the backing in a challenging collaboration with Sonu Niigaam who will sing some of Mohammed Rafi's best-loved songs in three concerts, Rafi Resurrected, in Birmingham, Manchester and London.

The project, which has been two years in the making, has been funded to the tune of 250,000 by Saregama, whose head of operations in Europe, Amarpal Gaind, said yesterday: "People will be taking a trip down memory lane with Sonu Niigaam, who is known as the voice of Rafi."

Niigaam will be supported by a 75-piece CBSO, which has been practising from the score sheets written by its former librarian, Tim Pottier, who took the idea of the east-west collaboration to Saregama and was promptly recruited to be the arts producer for the ambitious project.

The CBSO's association with the Indian film industry began in 2004 when it gave a joint concert with A.R. Rahman. Two years ago, it gave a Rafi concert but the singers were hired locally, mostly in Birmingham.

Having listened to several hundred Rafi songs (from the 26,000 the singer is said to have recorded), Pottier has whittled down the list to about 20 that Niigaam will sing — though many Indians will be distressed because he has not included Chaudhvin Ka Chand.

"Sonu Niigaam, who is a very busy man, will arrive in Birmingham on July 13 and will then rehearse with the CBSO for the first concert," said Pottier.

He added that the CBSO would strive to recreate Indian sitar and flute sounds. However, when he had listened to the underlying scores to Rafi's music, he had been impressed with how classically western so much of it had sounded.

Three halls with possibly the best acoustics in Britain have been selected and laser technology included to enhance sound quality to near perfection. The opening concert in the Symphony Hall in Birmingham on July 15 will be followed by the second in the Manchester Apollo on July 17 and the "grand finale" at the London Coliseum on July 20.

Sony TV is recording the last concert with the aim of broadcasting it to India on July 31, which will be the 28th anniversary of Rafi's death.

Asked whether two days were sufficient for rehearsals, Pottier, who has travelled to India and worked with musicians from the Hindi film industry, said: "Sonu Niigaam knows the songs backwards."

One of the musicians from the CBSO, Charles Wall, who plays the double bass, expressed confidence that Rafi's magic would not be lost in translation. "If I had looked at just the notation, I would not have known it was from Bollywood," Wall said.

Saregama is also issuing a double CD to mark its remarkable collaboration with the CBSO.

Edited by Kanta80 - 15 years ago
*salil* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

The double CD is now available in Market. It was released on 17th June at Nehru Center, London. CDs contain following Rafi classics:

CD 1             
1. KYA HUA TERA VADA
2. BAHARO PHOOL BARSAO
3. SUHANI RAAT DHAL CHUKI
4. AN EVENING IN PARIS
5. YAAD NA JAYE BEETE DINON KI
6. AAJ MAUSAM BADA BEIMAAN HAI
7. AANE SE USKE AAYE BAHAR
8. TAARIF KAROON KYA USKI
9. DIL KE JHAROKHE MEN
10. TERI GALIYON MEIN

CD2

11. TUM JO MIL GAYE HO
12. HAM TUM SE JUDA HOKE
13. BARBAD-E-MOHABBAT KI DUA
14. MUJHE TERI MOHABBAT KA SAHARA
15. PATHAR KE SANAM
16. GULABI ANKHEN
17. YAAD NA JAYE BEETE DINON KI (instrumental)
18. BAHARO PHOOL BARSAO (instrumental)
19. SUHANI RAAT DHAL CHUKI (instrumental)
20. TERI GALIYON MEIN (instrumental)

You can listen to some sample songs here:

http://www.saregamaevents.com/album.htm

More details on the 3 concerts in UK is at:

http://www.saregamaevents.com/home.htm

and more on the spectacular venues -- Birmigham Symphony Hall, Manchester Apollo Theater and London Colisiem---

http://www.saregamaevents.com/venue.htm

Edited by *salil* - 15 years ago
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Great song selections and good recording. Still Rafi's voice is as unforgettable as ever.👏🏻👏🏻
sevak thumbnail
I feel if there is anyone tday who can do justice to raafi saab today - It's Sonu Nigam. Should be a wonderful CD.
Bananamilkshake thumbnail
Originally posted by: sevak

I feel if there is anyone tday who can do justice to raafi saab today - It's Sonu Nigam. Should be a wonderful CD.

very well said!
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

After listening to some clips, I felt so disappointed. I always thought Sonu was as close to Rafi but I was wrong.... besides a lot of things missing, the soul of the songs is missing.. he has sung it just for the heck I feel...

Rafi still remains the pristine unsurmountable.

Indradhanush thumbnail
Originally posted by: qwertyesque

After listening to some clips, I felt so disappointed. I always thought Sonu was as close to Rafi but I was wrong.... besides a lot of things missing, the soul of the songs is missing.. he has sung it just for the heck I feel...

Rafi still remains the pristine unsurmountable.

fully agree.