Ponting's remarks on Gavaskar and India

insouciance thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Ponting hits back at Gavaskar

March 12, 2007 17:59 IST

Australia captain Ricky Ponting hit back at comments by former Indian skipper Sunil Gavaskar that the world champions are an unpopular and badly-behaved team.

Gavaskar wrote in an Indian newspaper column last week that Australia had been an "awesome" team over the last decade but are "awful in the way they have sometimes behaved on the field."

Ponting responded by citing Gavaskar's own brush with major controversy in a Test match against the Australians in Melbourne in 1981 when he was given out to a contentious umpiring decision.

Gavaskar ordered his opening partner Chetan Chauhan to walk off the pitch with him in protest.

"For him to go on about behaviour, not too many captains have dragged their teams off the field," Ponting told Sydney's Daily Telegraph on Monday.

"We are not going to keep everyone happy 100 percent of the time. But for some of these guys that have done it all themselves, it's pretty high and mighty for them to say that."

Ponting said Australia's unpopularity is a natural response to their success rather than their behaviour, and suggested Gavaskar should focus on trying to improve India's record in international cricket rather than criticising Australia.

"If you are really dominating teams for a long period of time, I don't think you end up having too many supporters around the place," Ponting said.

"They might want to start to look at the way they play their own cricket rather than looking at us."

http://www.rediff.com/wc2007/2007/mar/12pont.htm

And a few comments from rediff bloggers

"Gavaskar is the chairman of the ICC cricket committee not Indian coach, so his comments are to be taken on a global level rather than Indian specific. Secondly Ponting should speak on his gavaskar's comments. By pointing out Gavaskar's incidences does not make his bigger. Australian team is the best but Gavaskar is right they are the worst on field. Most of thier umpires have been cheats and players were biggest cheats (lilee) and betters
punter - ponting? and underarm episode by the chapell brothers. Lets not forget Sachin's Shoulder before wicket. Similarly Rantunga had walked out when Murali was wrongly called for throwing. Aussies are racist when it comes to sports especially cricket. They cannot see any team winning against them. They made racist remarks against the last SA team that visited. Ponting has no rights to point out SG. Above all Ponting has still not achieved what Gavaskar has done. Just look at the average of Gavaskar against the likes of Marshall, Roberts, Garner, Holding..and look at pontings average outside Australia. "

"What SMG has told is true and the bar brawler has reacted along predictable lines. Well, do two wrongs make a right?
As far as Lillee incident goes, SMG reckoned he had an inside edge and protested , Lillee aggravated the situation by charging down the track and pointing to a mark on SMG's pads ( that rules out an inside edge straight away, doesn't it?). This was followed by sledging which provoked the incident. BTW, Lillee had problems with Miandad. There were other captains who led their teams out against Australia .. they sledged Sir Viv as a "black ..." Waugh provoked Ambrose the list goes on .. of course, "Attitude" correct? Oh well they win ... means justify the ends ... "

"Question is not whether Gavaskars comments against Australia is right or wrong . Question is whether Pontings outbrust against senior player like Gavaskar is correct? This is true colours of Australians . It would have been much better had any former player of Australia come out in reponse of Gavaskars comments .
Let Rahul & team give the answer by beating them in the WC final & take the revenge of previous WC. "

"we ,indian , are in perpetual stage of praising ourseleves. Gavaskar was quite a bad sportsperson in his time. He should mind his own business instead of commenting on behaviour of other teams."

"ponting is right when he is arrogant. If you look the world cup winners, they have always won coz of their arrogance and vengeance. Either you can be submissive, do not sledge or you win...
Australian take pride in their cricket and Indians in their fantasies. Grow up India, You are not Australians...we would like you to be though...and yes Gavasakar might be the highest run getter, but he was never a match winner..same goes for his successor Tendulkar..."

"The fine art of sledging involves getting under the skin of your opponent . The Aussies do it quite often and quite effectively. But Sunny has done it wonderffully and forced Ponting to react in a very unsavoury manner. I would suggest somebody from the Indian Team preferably Dravid, Ganguly or Sehwag just takes this up and supports sunny\'s views. This will really turn the issue head on and whatever the aussies might say , this can reflect in their game against India. They just might not be their usual self.

And if anybody don\'t like all this sledging business just follow Zizou.
HEAD BUTT YOUR WAY, THERE IS NO RED CARD IN CRICKET, FINES COME AFTER THE GAME IS OVER."

So what are your views peopleπŸ˜ƒ

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Aanandaa thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Oh,cool it man😑..What arrogance???..Its really very childish of Ponting to speak like that about a veteran like that😑...But we should not be focussing too much on such comments...They are best ignored πŸ˜ƒ

If this guy has a problem with Gavaskar, why is he putting down the whole India???He needs to be answered appropriately by the Team India now...😑

luv,
Raksha😳Edited by raksha.l - 17 years ago
insouciance thumbnail
I want Aussies to lose the world cup and get totally jacked up...I dont care whether India does it or any other team,I just DONT WANT Australia to win πŸ˜†
Aanandaa thumbnail

Originally posted by: Buffie

I want Aussies to lose the world cup and get totally jacked up...I dont care whether India does it or any other team,I just DONT WANT Australia to win πŸ˜†

Bingoo...But would you be too unhappy if India does the honors???😳😳😳
Nishtha thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
thanks for sharing!
and I know one thing that Sunil Gavaskar is very shrewed man..he wants to ignite ponting's anger just before world cup so that his concentration shifts from cricket to other things as well! πŸ˜‰
and thats exactly whats happening as ponting is getting irritated πŸ˜† way to go sunny bhai! πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
insouciance thumbnail

Originally posted by: raksha.l

Bingoo...But would you be too unhappy if India does the honors???😳😳😳

Awww,I would LOVE India to trash the Aussies up...Like take sweet revenge (or now,make it an aggressive revenge😑) for what happened in Johannesburg on the 24th of March 2003(still remember the date😭).....That would infact make my year😳

Though I wouldnt mind England or SA winning either..I remember,When I was in school when the last world cup happened,I had a friend who used to root for SA,and we used to endlessly quibble..Though,unfortunately,SA never made it to the super 6 the last time around

Bottomline...Aussies need to LOSE ,get gobsmacked and devour HUMBLE PIE😑 πŸ˜‘ ...They are frigging not the BEST😑,hopw some team proves that....

darkness_123 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
I do find Australia quite arrogant and agressive on the field. Agreeed, it's a game. You need to be a lil agressive. But that's the kind of agression I see in the Pak/SL teams.... It's within their limits. It shows their concentration andjust adds a lil to the game.

Aus walk on field with that proud swagger, thinking that nothing can touch them. I would love it Aus was handed defeat on a nice big silver platter by either India/Pak/SL... That would teach them to be a little less pompous. Be a lil graceful, people. If you cant, you probably don't deserve to win. πŸ˜• Edited by darkness_123 - 17 years ago
Aanandaa thumbnail
Gavaskar-Ponting war of words continues
NDTV Correspondent

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 (New Delhi):

The war of words between Sunil Gavaskar and Australian captain Ricky Ponting has just got a little worse after Ponting launched a sarcastic and scathing attack on Gavaskar for his recent, somewhat derogatory comments on the Australian team.

Gavaskas has now responded in kind in a searing interview given to a private sports channel, clarifying his 1981 MCG walkout which Ponting had derided.

"The reason the walk-off took place was simply because I was abused by the Australians. Some day, a more hot-headed guy might actually get down and whack the one who abuses him.

"If the Australians use this kind of language in a bar, would they get away with it? There's the example of the late David Hookes," Gavaskar said.

Hookes was killed after a blow to his head during a bar brawl.

Earlier, Ponting hit out at Gavaskar who questioned the on field behaviour of the Australian cricket team.

"We all know the way he played his cricket, don't we? If he is talking about us, what about the way India have played their cricket over the last few years," said the Aussie captain.

Ponting was responding to Sunil Gavaskar's complains about Australia's poor on-field behaviour and that their recent string of failures had "gladdened the hearts" of the game's followers.
darkness_123 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Oh wow. This is getting dirty. Watch out for the mud, people. *ducks from the mud being thrown*

I think it's so childish and IMMATURE for a veteran cricket icon and the Aus team captain to indulge in such a war of the worlds. πŸ˜• πŸ˜• πŸ˜• Apna apna kaam dekho, bhai... πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Aanandaa thumbnail
I would have loved for Gavaskar to keep quite and not retaliate and leave the dirty job to somebody else...Now I am rather disappointed and surprised that such an experienced and seemingly diplomatic person, actually got down to clarifying his acts in response to some arrogant, hard headed comments... πŸ˜• Edited by raksha.l - 17 years ago