Criticism vs Bashing!!! - Page 5

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 17 years ago

@Minnie: Both of us are making the same points and trying to convey the same thing but with different perception.

mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: Minnie

Mermaid, asking your 11 year old son not to smoke is not the same as asking him not to disrespectful to elders. Both are important, but if he is taking drugs, smoking, drinking, then that goes into entirely different realm of things. There, the worries of him being harmed far outweighs the thoughts of him not having some social graces. And hence the application of Prudence automatically changes.

What right now we are discussing are social graces, where there are certain outlines in every civilisation which are adhered to. And every culture has it's own outlines to be laid out and followed and within that boundary, it is accepted.

I do not believe that in order to get a point across about things I am passionate about I need to be impolite or rude. Now a pertinent question that you raised is whether it would be argued that I, the debater, lack the passion or that I am bothered about my image as a debater.........well, yes, why not. I cannot and should not stop anyone from forming an opinion about me as a debater. If that way I fail to get my point across, then in my opinion I would be consider myself a bad debator. But others are free to form the opinion. I would argue back the best way that I know. Whether that makes me good or bad, I am sure my fellow debaters can decide.

PS: The use of first person in the above para is an example, and not a reflection of myself as a debator......😳

I agree with you and have liked all your points. 
Yet again, impolite is relative too and is a matter of perception.  Rude is more categorized and one can and should avoid that, I agree.   We are all different individuals and hence have different debate style.  I usually look for various posts made by the same person at different times, and if I see a pattern there, and the person quoting / misconstruing my posts, I either warn and choose to ignore or give some back after a fair warning.   This is a reflection of me 😳 even as a real person, whatever quality debater that makes me.. good / bad....  I  see not much wrong in that as that is who I am. When informed / proved hurtful, i never waste a minute in apologizing / lending olive branch.  Also, variety of debaters is spice of DM.  

I love your posts and thanks for sharing your views on PC, debate prudence and Passion.  It is always good to read logical reasoning.
swordfishh thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Maya_M

@Minnie: Both of us are making the same points and trying to convey the same thing but with different perception.

πŸ˜† Precisely... Just wanted to say tht!!! U guys are movin around in circles agreeing with each other...
Anyways... I enjoyed reading the debate...
persistence thumbnail

Reeps look up the IF Addict List and then let me know if you still believe I'm involved with the govt.πŸ˜† Since this discussion involves only me, it doesn't actually belong on this thread. I'll PM my responses to you. [/quote]

Looking fwd to the pm.πŸ˜ƒ

[quote] Remember something, everyone is involved in playing some part for his/ her country, however small that part maybe. If you're a person who is doing her 9-5 job you can still do your part when you do your job perfectly, resist corruption, helping others on a professional level. Doing your bit doesn't always mean to dedicate your life to social work like Medha Patkar. They are playing a bigger role than us and people will remember them for that but that doesn't mean you and I are doing nothing.😊 [/quote]

Hmm, thanks for the write-up. NO clue what evoked such a beautiful reply, but I am so glad you put it down. Made me think again, and I found myself a reason to get out of a dilemna. God sends me angels, and answers thru them every now and then.😍

[quote]One more thing, since I don't remember what all I said about working women, you can go to that thread, quote me and point out why you think that was wrong, I assure you I won't be offended or take it personally. 😊 [/quote]

Nah, it is okay! Why should I criticize when I can praise for the positives? You are entitled to your opinion, and I didn't say it was wrong .... just didn't want to digest what you had said. It sounded harsh, and seemed to overlook the other side. Anywho, doesn't matter.

I better quit talking of topics other than the post topic.πŸ˜†

Persy

Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Minnie

I do not believe that in order to get a point across about things I am passionate about I need to be impolite or rude. Now a pertinent question that you raised is whether it would be argued that I, the debater, lack the passion or that I am bothered about my image as a debater.........well, yes, why not. I cannot and should not stop anyone from forming an opinion about me as a debater. If that way I fail to get my point across, then in my opinion I would be consider myself a bad debator. But others are free to form the opinion. I would argue back the best way that I know. Whether that makes me good or bad, I am sure my fellow debaters can decide.

PS: The use of first person in the above para is an example, and not a reflection of myself as a debator......😳

Originally posted by: chatbuster

for example, would we say that Ronald Reagan's put down of Jimmy Carter with the famous "There you go again Jimmy" was not rude/ impolite? or Senator Lloyd Bentsen's remark to Dan Quayle as "You're no Jack Kennedy"? those were polite?

believe me, those lines got the point across far better than could perhaps have been accomplished otherwise.😊 

Sorry once more for messing up the post.....

you mentioned something about being polite/rude being as subjective as the original question of criticism vs bashing ( I deleted that part by mistake, i apologise).

Continuing to my point.........

Question is, do you consider it polite ? My understanding here is that you don't. Do correct me if I am wrong.

As I said, either to me or you, these above two lines are impolite but did their job. Perhaps because they were not debating like politically correct individuals but one trying to shut the other up for good πŸ˜†.

Who knows, were I Reagan, I might have employed some other means. Or maybe simply would have been the Indian I am and said 'Ei, chup !!!'

I loved the way Lallu shut the screaming morons that make for our MPs. Prudence is not always being polite you see !! πŸ˜‰

However, here my presumptous is, we talking about people who  have some idea about what a debate or a discussion means.....and not about the people in political gallery trying to gain the upper hand primarily by hook and then by crook......

Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Maya_M

πŸ˜† I guess you are right Maya.....

chatbuster thumbnail

Originally posted by: MinnieE

Sorry once more for messing up the post.....

you mentioned something about being polite/rude being as subjective as the original question of criticism vs bashing ( I deleted that part by mistake, i apologise).

Continuing to my point.........

Question is, do you consider it polite ? My understanding here is that you don't. Do correct me if I am wrong.

As I said, either to me or you, these above two lines are impolite but did their job. Perhaps because they were not debating like politically correct individuals but one trying to shut the other up for good πŸ˜†.

Who knows, were I Reagan, I might have employed some other means. Or maybe simply would have been the Indian I am and said 'Ei, chup !!!'

I loved the way Lallu shut the screaming morons that make for our MPs. Prudence is not always being polite you see !! πŸ˜‰

However, here my presumptous is, we talking about people who  have some idea about what a debate or a discussion means.....and not about the people in political gallery trying to gain the upper hand primarily by hook and then by crook......

of course, when one is debating like their lives or careers depended on it, then one is ultimately trying to score a knock-out or a win on points. that much is true.

but i dont buy into the rest of your argument- by hook or by crook. the presidential debates here in the US are very structured and there's not much opportunity for "crooked" foul play.

if you are implying that they can behave in any "hooked" manner and get away with it, then these guys know better. these politicians have media and PR advisors by the dozens who coach them on every technique and etiquette of debating. so to say that they dont have an idea of debating is far from it. in fact, if i may say so, i believe the reverse is true. they have more knowledge and wit than some of the folks i have seen elsewhereπŸ˜‰

they also know that the audience is very unforgiving here- it does not necessarily care for cheap tactics or foul means to show down the other candidate. but clever put-downs that might be construed as rude by some touchy-feely types is fine. we might actually want to use these guys as example to see what is or ought to be acceptable style for us as well.😊

Edited by chatbuster - 17 years ago
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: chatbuster

of course, when one is debating like their lives or careers depended on it, then one is ultimately trying to score a knock-out or a win on points. that much is true.

but i dont buy into the rest of your argument- by hook or by crook. the presidential debates here in the US are very structured and there's not much opportunity for "crooked" foul play.

if you are implying that they can behave in any "hooked" manner and get away with it, then these guys know better. these politicians have media and PR advisors by the dozens who coach them on every technique and etiquette of debating. so to say that they dont have an idea of debating is far from it. in fact, if i may say so, i believe the reverse is true. they have more knowledge and wit than some of the folks i have seen elsewhereπŸ˜‰

they also know that the audience is very unforgiving here- it does not necessarily care for cheap tactics or foul means to show down the other candidate. but clever put-downs that might be construed as rude by some touchy-feely types is fine. we might actually want to use these guys as example to see what is or ought to be acceptable style for us as well.😊

Sure and all that grand debate and people making intelligent choices got them a joker George Bush for presidentπŸ˜†πŸ˜†!! May be they should stop these debates for a change and get debating on how to get right candidates to debateπŸ˜†...If you are done singing your ode to the american way.. there is a point u should note,  somethings have to make sense in the end... you cant act like strait-jackted robot and expect good things to come your way with the canned thinking these guys demonstrate.... though I agree americans are veri unforgiving people and still had to get bush for second term  having killed thousands of young americans, sinking in debt... and bombing some alien country without reason...πŸ˜†.. Or is this is like those Japanese Strikes where you dont stop doing things when you go on a strike but rather end up over-doing them...πŸ˜†

Edited by qwertyesque - 17 years ago
chatbuster thumbnail

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

Sure and all that grand debate and people making intelligent choices got them a joker George Bush for presidentπŸ˜†πŸ˜†!! May be they should stop these debates for a change and get debating on how to get right candidates to debateπŸ˜†...If you are done singing your ode to the american way.. there is a point u should note,  somethings have to make sense in the end... you cant act like strait-jackted robot and expect good things to come your way with the canned thinking these guys demonstrate.... though I agree americans are veri unforgiving people and still had to get bush for second term  having killed thousands of young americans, sinking in debt... and bombing some alien country without reason...πŸ˜†.. Or is this is like those Japanese Strikes where you dont stop doing things when you go on a strike but rather end up over-doing them...πŸ˜†

haha, they've been getting jokers for the most part. πŸ˜† and we've been getting our own brand too, the guys who literally trip over themselves in parliament so that they can suck up to clinton when he's there, or who take slippers out to chuck at the next guy. now that's a circus, no?πŸ˜‰

but unfortunately all this good stuff you started me off with is totally irrelevant and off-topic IMOπŸ˜‰ topic's about bashing and criticism. my reference to these "jokers" is in the context of how they debate and present themselves on such occasions. yours is the after-math kind of thing which leads elsewhereπŸ˜‰

Edited by chatbuster - 17 years ago
mermaid_QT thumbnail
QWERTY, who americans choose to be their president has nothing to do with their culture. You are aware of who runs India right and who are elected by Indians right???
Pot cannot call kettle black when it comes to electing jokers and sick greedy humans. 😳