Criticism vs Bashing!!!

Posted: 17 years ago
.Edited by ani11 - 14 years ago
I have nothing against criticism, i welcome criticism in any idea/plans how else would you be able to provide the best if everyone just agrees with your ideas?
I know sometimes people don't take well to criticism.
For someone to point out all the negatives aspects of ones argument with the intention to deflate the whole side of the argument - i would regard as bashing. I often see people do this when quoting an argument and commenting on each part. [edit] There's also the normal kind of bashing where someone resorts to commenting on your personal nature to get their point across. This is definitely bashing and unacceptable to resort to such levels to 'win' an argument.
Criticism i would regard as pointing out simple flaws in the idea rather than the whole idea. You can say the idea can work unless you change this or that rather than this and that is wrong with it - it just won't work! In such things an open-mind is required.
These are just my views on criticism and bashing.Edited by Inasense - 17 years ago
Good point.

Bashing is simply crucifying a person and her character for the simple reason of coming up with an opinion or idea. Criticism is dessecting the dea without passing judgement on the character of the person who opined it.

For me. Black is a bad movie, but if I criticise Bansali or Bachchan sr or Rani personally for messing it up, then I am attacking them for reasons other than my dislike of the content of the film. On the other hand, if I dissect the movie completely based on it's content, then that is criticism.

Many a times posting our opinion openly on a subject is construed as bashing by others. I would like to take an example of Sanjay Dutt's verdict thread which was made a GA. Members there had different opinion. The fans of the actor were supporting him blindly whereas others were posting unbiased opinion but still it was construed as bashing by his fans. I wonder why even a sardonic humour about one's favourite actor or show or subject is construed as bashing by the fans.

Where do we draw the line? Is it possible to keep everyone happy? The answer is NO.

Shouldn't fans respect other's opinion and not brand it as insulting and demeaning as long as we post our POV being within the limits of this forum's decorum.

In my opinion it is not always possible to make everyone happy so as long as one doesn't resort to personal attacks criticism is fine. A criticism becomes bashing when one attacks another personally for posting a different POV.

Originally posted by Minnie

For me. Black is a bad movie, but if I criticise Bansali or Bachchan sr or Rani personally for messing it up, then I am attacking them for reasons other than my dislike of the content of the film. On the other hand, if I dissect the movie completely based on it's content, then that is criticism.

But how can you dissect Black without pointing out it's poor direction, poor storyline or poor acting by the lead characters? A movie can go wrong only if the direction or actors or storyline was poor.

If you point out flaws in one actor or the direction then that is constructive criticism for you but it is contsrued as bashing by the fans.

Originally posted by Maya_M

But how can you dissect Black without pointing out it's poor direction, poor storyline or poor acting by the lead characters? A movie can go wrong only if the direction or actors or storyline was poor.

If you point out flaws in one actor or the direction then that is constructive criticism for you but it is contsrued as bashing by the fans.

My thoughts exactly. 👏 Sometimes when we analyse a person's POV or performance or whatever it is not meant to be taken personally. Criticsm is when we point out what we think is wrong, why it's wrong and how that can be rectified or in other words when we have a definite positive goal in our mind. Bashing is when we simply degrade something/ someone just because we don't like it, without giving any definite reason and definitely without any positive goal.

Edited by souro - 17 years ago
Its really doesnt make sense to differentiate the two. perfect criticisms can be made to look like bashings...saying that a "pig stinks" would not be clear is more offensive to the pig or an animal activist... Unless there is a clear mature understanding you can only have debates with Mod's interference..... where simple innocuous words are termed as bashing....calling americans lack culture is bashing...(?)...there is a veri fine line.. I think bashing is just extreme incessant criticism which may not be wrong... 😊 Its like this criticism with 2-3 sentences is criticism but with 20-30 sentences is bashing... 😆 Edited by qwertyesque - 17 years ago