Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: reeps

Okay, I have to say something...... Though I didn't like/agree with you views on 'working women' and some other topic on women, .... I got to say that your chain of thought is really good (esp. when it comes to talking of India, and how it can progress)..... intelligent mind.... just wanted to know if you are all talk or do you participate in govt. and are making/bringing about some change in the country.... am sure India will benefit if you actively take part in bringing the change, that is if you are not already doing so.😊

Ok, I am done praising you.😆

Persy

Reeps you quoted three of us at once, so it'll be a li'l helpful if you can clarify which one of us you meant.😊

mermaid_QT thumbnail
LOL souro, I was wondering about that too.. 😆
MNMS thumbnail
constructive criticism is a method of self-improvement.

But criticism[sarcastic ones] is a politically correct term of bashing 😆 😉
mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: MNMS

constructive criticism is a method of self-improvement.

But criticism[sarcastic ones] is a politically correct term of bashing 😆 😉

😆😆 funny..  so many interpretations suiting everyone's convenienece.. 😉
Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Maya_M

But how can you dissect Black without pointing out it's poor direction, poor storyline or poor acting by the lead characters? A movie can go wrong only if the direction or actors or storyline was poor.

If you point out flaws in one actor or the direction then that is constructive criticism for you but it is contsrued as bashing by the fans.

Maya I can

I can criticise Bansali's bad direction in this particular movie. But I don't have to say 'oh what a rotten director Bansali is !' or 'Bansali is such a crap'.....that is bashing.

This film is one of Rani's worst acting efforts, and that is strictly my opinion, but if I go on to say she is such a horrible actress, does not know how to act.....in short, dissecting Rani rather than her acting in THIS movie or the character, then it would be bashing. For criticism, I need to stay focussed on the subject, not the persons involved in it. And the focus here would be on the performances of the individuals involved related strictly to the film, and not their personal life or generalising anything.

Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

Its really doesnt make sense to differentiate the two. perfect criticisms can be made to look like bashings...saying that a "pig stinks" would not be clear is more offensive to the pig or an animal activist... Unless there is a clear mature understanding you can only have debates with Mod's interference..... where simple innocuous words are termed as bashing....calling americans lack culture is bashing...(?)...there is a veri fine line.. I think bashing is just extreme incessant criticism which may not be wrong... 😊 Its like this criticism with 2-3 sentences is criticism but with 20-30 sentences is bashing... 😆

Yes, generalising a whole group of people by demeaning their way of life reeks of superiority complex and would be bashing. Instead pointing out the aspects which could do with improvement without demeaning the americans in general would be criticism.

Example: Their ready acceptance of pre marital sex especially in the teens can be criticised, but for that their 'whole' culture cannot be demeaned becuase their culture also has many aspects which the other cultures could learn from, for example, their discipline, their integrity, their practical approach to life's problems and their desire to surmount difficulties no matter what etc etc.

Originally posted by: Minnie

Maya I can

I can criticise Bansali's bad direction in this particular movie. But I don't have to say 'oh what a rotten director Bansali is !' or 'Bansali is such a crap'.....that is bashing.

This film is one of Rani's worst acting efforts, and that is strictly my opinion, but if I go on to say she is such a horrible actress, does not know how to act.....in short, dissecting Rani rather than her acting in THIS movie or the character, then it would be bashing. For criticism, I need to stay focussed on the subject, not the persons involved in it. And the focus here would be on the performances of the individuals involved related strictly to the film, and not their personal life or generalising anything.

Minnie, That is exactly what I meant. In the previous post you mentioned that you can dissect the film without criticising Bansali or Rani or Big B and I was wondering how is it possible. This reply clears my doubt. It is impossible to not criticize lead actor's performance or direction or the story when we dissect a film.

When you dissect Rani's acting it is also like dissecting Rani, the actress which means that she failed to do her job well. But Rani Fans and the ones who love Black would take offense to our critiquing Rani and if there is ever a debate like that then it would be termed as Rani bashing by them. The example I gave was Sanjay Dutt's verdict GA where many gave unbiased opinion about his verdict but his fans just blamed everything on media and Indian judiciary.

In short what I mean is that it depends upon each person's perspective. People are going to term a counterattack as bashing or criticism but as long as we don't use offensive words or get too personal and follow a basic decorum it should be fine.

mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: Minnie

Yes, generalising a whole group of people by demeaning their way of life reeks of superiority complex and would be bashing. Instead pointing out the aspects which could do with improvement without demeaning the americans in general would be criticism.

Example: Their ready acceptance of pre marital sex especially in the teens can be criticised, but for that their 'whole' culture cannot be demeaned becuase their culture also has many aspects which the other cultures could learn from, for example, their discipline, their integrity, their practical approach to life's problems and their desire to surmount difficulties no matter what etc etc.

👏👏👏  I completely agree. 
persistence thumbnail
[quote]Reeps you quoted three of us at once, so it'll be a li'l helpful if you can clarify which one of us you meant. [/quote]

Oh, my bad! It was meant for you, souro. 😃 😆 Edited by reeps - 17 years ago
mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maya_M

Minnie, That is exactly what I meant. In the previous post you mentioned that you can dissect the film without criticising Bansali or Rani or Big B and I was wondering how is it possible. This reply clears my doubt. It is impossible to not criticize lead actor's performance or direction or the story when we dissect a film.

When you dissect Rani's acting it is also like dissecting Rani, the actress which means that she failed to do her job well. But Rani Fans and the ones who love Black would take offense to our critiquing Rani and if there is ever a debate like that then it would be termed as Rani bashing by them. The example I gave was Sanjay Dutt's verdict GA where many gave unbiased opinion about his verdict but his fans just blamed everything on media and Indian judiciary.

In short what I mean is that it depends upon each person's perspective. People are going to term a counterattack as bashing or criticism but as long as we don't use offensive words or get too personal and follow a basic decorum it should be fine.

As I agree with both of you here, I think the one who made a generalized opening statement should realize it as bashing and expect a bit of bashing from the other side in return instead of making a big deal out of it.  As Maya summed up, decorum of forum is utmost important, but yet one can be receptive of Karma rule of what goes around comes around.. and both sides should end the matter there if it gets offensive IMO.
BB forum in IF was amazing in terms of so many contestants being supported by so many individuals.  Yes, there was stepping on tows every now and then, but it was a fun forum at all times..  again, this could be just my opinion.  Not everyone was poltically correct, but just more TOLERANT..
Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago