Views

Users

Frequent Posters

umi82990 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 17 years ago
Nishabd

glamsham.com editorial Send to Friend

View NISHABD Music Release - Picture GalleryDirector Ram Gopal Varma's NISHABD, which releases Friday, tells the story of an intimate and unusual relationship between an older man and his daughter's friend.

Starring Amitabh Bachchan and newcomer Jiah Khan, NISHABD is said to be based on Vladimir Nabokov's controversial novel "Lolita". While Nakobov's novel is about a 44-year-old man fantasising about a precocious 12-year-old girl, Varma's NISHABD is about a 60-year old married man's romance with an 18-year-old girl.

Amitabh plays a wildlife photographer in the film and lives with his family on a hill station. Jiah is his daughter's friend, who comes to spend her holidays with the family. The lensman's artistic vision is triggered off when he sees Jiah's youthful activities and starts capturing them in his camera. But these harmless photo sessions take an unpredictable turn when Amitabh sees Jiah playing in the water getting all wet. It changes his feelings towards her and he starts fantasizing about her.

This attraction is not one-sided as Jiah too is obsessed with him and unhesitatingly confesses her love.

View Nishabd Movie StillsWhen he tells his family about his feelings for the teenager, all hell breaks loose. His daughter is shell-shocked on hearing of her dad's romance with her friend.

Through this film, Varma tries to state that age has nothing to do with love. Attraction between two people can exist, irrespective of age.

Aftab Shivdasani, Revathi and Rukhsar also star in the film.

The novel has been twice adapted into a film - first time in 1962 by Stanley Kubrick starring James Mason as Humbert Humbert and next in 1997 by Adrian Lyne, starring Jeremy Irons and received mixed response.

It is now to be seen how the Indian audience reacts to Varma's interpretation of "Lolita"

Bubbly_Shelly thumbnail

Abhishek on 'Drona' and why he will always remain in awe of father Amitabh Bachchan...

Ram Gopal Varma once said that you were better than your dad in 'Sarkar'.

Ramu saying so has got to be the biggest joke of the century. Initially, the quality of dad's work was very daunting. But now it's just inspiring to wake up every morning and see what he's doing, and say, 'Wow!' I'm tired of sending dad messages and gifts to show my appreciation. He's getting better with every performance. I continue to be in awe. I don't think I will ever get over that.

Do you feel he needs to slow down now?

I feel his capacity for work is far beyond the normal. That's what makes him happy. And I like to see him happy.

Describe your rapport with him.

I'd say our relationship is very similar to our bond in 'Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna'. Karan has known me since childhood. He has spent loads of time with me and dad. He has incorporated a lot of that in the film. But no, I don't call dad 'dude' in real life. That's Karan's cute little innovation.

Didn't the Sexy Sam role go a bit too far?

It was just a character that he was playing! What I loved about the relationship between Sam and Rishi was the role reversal. It's the dad who seems to be the womaniser.

The son isn't upset about it because the father has always been very open about his feelings. Dad's character redeems himself in the party sequence when he confesses his loneliness.

What excited you about Goldie Behl's 'Drona'?

You mean besides the F-X effects? My mother (Jaya Bachchan is part of the cast) plays my mother in the film. Actually, we have done the Bengali film 'Desh' together earlier. I spoke a bit of Bengali in it too. My decision to do Goldie's second film (the first one was 'Bas Itna Sa Khwab Hai') isn't an emotional one. I enjoyed his second script. He's a very capable director. Goldie is family. We have changed a lot since 'Bas Itna…'. This will show in 'Drona'. We've finished shooting 60 per cent of it.

How does it feel to be considered a lucky mascot.

Lucky mascot? Wasn't I the guy who couldn't get even one straight hit? But I don't allow these dips and rises to colour my intrinsic worth. I know what I'm worth. I know how far I've to go as an actor.

You've become a favourite pin-up boy.

How do I explain it? Aditya Chopra once told me, 'Very seldom does the audience decide to like someone'. So I am just thankful and will work extra

Bubbly_Shelly thumbnail

Get this. I'm skating on thin ice, professional/personal. He's my baba, I'm his khaala (don't know why he gave me that nickname but it stuck).

There's been this robustly mutual regard methinks.. ever since he was the Bambi-eyed kid watching me interview his dad. How time zips.

The nation and more so, the media's curiosity is at its peak about his upcoming marriage to Aishwarya Rai, in my eyes the most beautiful woman in the world (after my mum, that is).

To cut to the chase, I'm at his neatnik office in Juhu. On the stairs, I pass by Boss Bachchan feeling oh-I'd-like-tochat-with-him.. but what to do?..I have another job to perform. How wonderful, it would have been if a KM Jr was doing an AB Jr q and a. Aaah, never mind that silly story of my life.

Abhishek Bachchan is across a desk, I've organised my mutinous back in the sit-right posture, I escalate an eyebrow at the much-photographed headband keeping Junior's long hairlocks in a semblance of order..to ask..

What's with that hair-ishtyle Baba?

Hopefully, it's there only till April for Drona. You think I like maintaining my hair like this? It's quite cumbersome. I was shooting for Shaad's (Ali) Jhoom Barabar Jhoom, with long hair and a moustache. Goldie saw it, liked it and wanted me to keep it longer..so.

You look more in shape after the kilos you put on for Guru.

Not entirely. I'd gone right till 91 kg.. now I'm 84 kg, must lose five more.

How did you sustain the look for different age spans of Guru?

It was shot chronologically from start to finish in three months, that helped to sustain the physical aspect. It was challenging.

What do actors mean by challenging?

Anything that's a cakewalk isn't satisfying. Like you wouldn't be doing this interview if it wasn't challenging..like you have to match wits with the person you're interviewing.

Actually Mani sir (Ratnam) was planning quite another film.. on the life of a criminal in Manchester. He faces adversities, redeems himself.. halfway through the script he felt it wasn't what he wanted to make.

So Mani sir switched to a veiled biography of Dhirubhai Ambani?

This wasn't mentioned to me ever.

But every character in the film was drawn from Mr Ambani's life.

That's your perception.

Anyone who has seen Guru will tell you that.

Then it's their perception. But no, there was no intention to make a biopic. Perhaps certain characteristics were drawn from various people which Mani sir always does.

Hello, didn't you have a role model?

Khaala, no. To be honest I have often drawn inspiration from reallife people. I've never admitted this but the Lallan of Yuva was inspired by Amar Singhji, his confidence, and some of his mannerisms. And if you really must know, in Guru I was totally inspired by my dear friend and former producer Vashu Bhagnani.

Excuse me, say that again.

Yes absolutely, I drew from the way Vashuji smiles, laughs, loves to keep serving food and drinks, always sprightly, on-the-go, eager..someone who can't sit or stand still. I hope he doesn't get upset if he reads this.

Huh? He should feel flattered.

I hope he does.

Vashu Bhagnani doesn't wear pinstriped suits. Dhirubhai Ambani did.

(Sombrely) Mr Ambani was never given to me as a reference point.

How did the Ambanis react to the film?

They loved it.

No talks on the similarities?

Anilji said he enjoyed the film..so did Tina aunty..but then she could have been biased, she's been fond of me ever since I was a kid.

That last soliloquy in Guru, how was that one shot done?

In six different ways and speeds. It was rehearsed for a day, shot in a day. It had to be done in one take for the fluidity of the performance.

Would you term the Guru performance as your career-best?

I can't be a judge of this. I've done 30 films to date..each one of them has been special. Guru has collected Rs 60 crore gross domestic..it has got glowing reviews from critics who have more knowledge about cinema than I do..what more could an actor want?

Money.

It comes and goes. As long as I can go to bed every night peacefully.

You could get a better bed.

Not possible..I sleep on the ground because of my bad back.

What does acting mean to you?

I don't want to know. Or else, it'll cease to be magical.

What does love mean to you?

Very clever, khaala. I don't know much about love.

That'll make a super heading.. "I don't know much about love." Come on, every one knows what love is. Even I do.

(Pause) Love is absolutely unconditional.

Not bad. And hello, why has Sanjay Gadhvi, the director of Dhoom, been badmouthing you?

Has he?

Now you're acting.

Have I ever lied to you? I've been travelling, I haven't read his statements. See, he's entitled to his opinions. Maybe I'll have to work harder for him next time..if there's a next time.

Weren't you totally subverted in Dhoom 2?

The first Dhoom was my first success, ACP Jai Dixit and Ali had to be a part of the sequel. In any case, Dhoom has been about villains. John Abraham was tremendous in the first part, the next one had to be bigger and badder the way it is in the Superman and Batman series.

I knew what was happening..no matter..it was terrific to work with my childhood friends Hrithik and Uday..and of course Bipasha Basu and Aishwarya Rai.

Who? Say that again..you mean Ash.

Aishwarya Rai.

There has been talk that you're playing a superhero in Drona to upstage Krrish?

I don't know where such stories start from. We're not catering to each other, we're making films for the audience. Krrish was outstanding. In fact, I'm a die-hard fan of Rakesh Roshanji's films right from Khudgarz, he has that special magical quality which was once a hallmark of Manmohan Desai.

Listen I want to go back to Ash if I may.

Aishwarya you mean..she's a friend, she's my fiance.

How did you propose to her?

Evidently successfully. Khaala you're not going to trap me.

Tell me about the special moment just before proposing marriage to her.

Wonderful try khaala..but that will always be between her and me.

Are you in love?

Obviously. Stop sparring with me. What's within my heart and house doesn't have to go outside.

Chalo, can I ask you why you're not in Rakeysh Mehra's Delhi 6?

Unfortunately, I had committed the winter months to Goldie for Drona. Rakeysh is a buddy, we're looking at two projects to do together. Actually, I was to do my first film with him — Samjhauta Express. But then he opted for Aks.

Didn't he offer you Rang de Basanti?

Yes, he did, it was called Paint it Yellow then. I was incapable of understanding all the nuances of the film at that time. I do regret not doing it, that's life.

Aha, listen I want to go back to Ash if I may.

Stop it khaala.

Can't. Listen I want to go back..

For me Aishwarya is real.

Hmm. Fine, are you planning to do films together?

Yes Ram Gopal Varma's Sarkar 2.

And the Dharma production directed by Tarun Mansukhani and another by Rohan Sippy?

Yes..we hope to start on Tarun's film in June.

Will you allow Ash to continue acting?

Who am I to stop anyone from acting? Why is there a huge debate on this? I'm the son of an actor, my mother is an actor. Get it?

Aren't you a bit pampered?

I think I'm loved, not pampered.

A bit of a kid?

For you maybe. There's a child in everyone, there should be.

How do you feel about getting married?

Fine, okay.

What about that penthouse on Bandra, Carter Road, that's being built for you?

Oof, that's not my house please ..it's my chacha's house. I'm very happy staying with my parents.. thanks.. now khaala stop!

Bubbly_Shelly thumbnail

Readers' Choice: Abhishek's Best Movies!

Abhishek Bachchan turned 30 on February 5, 2006. For this, the first of Rediff's special series on the star, they asked readers to rate his best performance to date. From the flood of responses, here are the 10 films that made it.

Bluffmaster

If Sarkar proved he was an intense actor, and Naach showed he could dance, Bluffmaster proved he was Amitabh's son. Playing a cool dude who cons people, he also gave singing a try. And came out on top.

Bunty Aur Babli

Here, he played a conman. Even though the script was weak, the movie did well because of the actors -- Abhishek, Rani Mukerji, Amitabh Bachchan and, of course, Aishwarya Rai's Kajra Re. It is why the number of Abhishek's female fans suddenly increased.

Dus

The movie where most of Abhishek's female fans must have cried because of the sad ending. The song Dus bahane became a huge hit though. He plays a secret agent for an anti-terrorist outfit, while still managing to look really cute and charming.

Sarkar

The first film starring father and son. It was a big challenge for him, but the smaller B came up with a commendable performance. He played a sophisticated don and won audiences over.

Phir Milenge

Abhishek plays a lawyer in this film 'inspired' by Philadelphia. Although you can't compare his role to Denzel Washington's in the Hollywood original, he held his own. It was also his first movie with Salman Khan and Shilpa Shetty.

Yuva

One of Abhishek's best performances, according to our readers. Even though there are better actors like Ajay Devgan and Viveik Oberoi, Abhishek stole the show as Lallan. He plays a spoilt and exploited youth stuck in the political system. Mani Ratnam was the first director to tap into his storehouse of talent.

Naach

It was a flop, but helped Abhishek develop as an actor. He played a struggling actor who makes it big but can't forget his ladylove. And yes, he matched Antara Mali's steps perfectly.

Dhoom

A total guy-flick with bikes racing all over. Abhishek played a police inspector tackling bank robberies taking place across the city. The film belonged to the entire cast or, to be more specific, to John Abraham.

Kuch Naa Kaho

Although it had Aishwarya and Abhishek, it flopped, possibly on account of the subject. Aishwarya chooses Abhishek over husband Arbaaz Khan, who hasn't enquired about her in seven years. The songs were well-received though, especially Baat meri sun lo toh zara and Tujhe aaj maine jo dekha.

Refugee

This was his first movie, and he played an orphan who helps people cross the India-Pakistan border. It wasn't a bad performance for a debut, but people expected more simply because this was the Big B's son. Hrithik's debut Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai was released that same year, so the comparisons were many.

umi82990 thumbnail
umi82990 thumbnail
umi82990 thumbnail
umi82990 thumbnail