Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: Maya_M

There were and still are directors like Satyajit Ray, Adoor Gopalakrishnan and more recently a pseudo-director Deepa Mehta who portray India only with all its negativity and win accolades in the west. That is not real India either but one facet of it.

Maya I'd like to know why you hold this view about Satyajit Ray. In the Superpower thread also someone mentioned that leave it to Indian directors like Satyajit Ray to show the world a negative image of India. Don't think that I'm trying to defend Satyajit Ray because he's a bengali but because I've seen many of his films. I think your idea is based on what you've seen in 'Pather Panchali' but I didn't see anything negative shown in that. Would like to know why you felt this about Satyajit Ray.

Originally posted by: souro

Ok...this is for people who think every aspect of Indian culture is great, need no change and they will stick to every custom that was there in India in the olden times. Please raise your hands and promise that the next time one of your parents or your teacher visits you, you'll wash their feet with your own hands and then drink that water as was the custom earlier.

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜† WOW. I am wondering what was Ram Mohan Roy thinking when he brought renaissance in Bengal by abolishing Sati and various practices associated with our ancient culture. He should have known better. πŸ˜‰

Maya I'd like to know why you hold this view about Satyajit Ray. In the Superpower thread also someone mentioned that leave it to Indian directors like Satyajit Ray to show the world a negative image of India. Don't think that I'm trying to defend Satyajit Ray because he's a bengali but because I've seen many of his films. I think your idea is based on what you've seen in 'Pather Panchali' but I didn't see anything negative shown in that. Would like to know why you felt this about Satyajit Ray.

Soumya, My reasons are somewhat similar to what I wrote for Deepa Mehta. Not just for Satyajit Ray but also for Adoor GopalaKrishnan. I will edit and comment here in detail later.😊

Yes, I agree this is off topic but the point is that this thread started off topic and stayed that way. Don't you think, that we had a tad bit more western bashing than is necessary. Even before in one thread an overtly glorified picture of touching the feet by Indians was presented as a logical proof that Indian culture is better than Western culture.it is becoz we have  respect for elders and we agree to whtevre they say touching feet shows this ideology abt indian. therfore our culture is better.They're content with their culture and we're happy following ours, so how can we say that ours is better and term their's as loose at every given oppurtunity, i have no prob with their culture till they dont abuse mine or ridicule it they can do whtever they like but i have prob with mainly their practices like premarital sex live in relations etc.have we tried living their kind of life.we have a lot of their values lingled in ours but something which is not right is not be it indian or western. If it is to be established that which culture is better then the debate should be with an Westerner as in a white and not an NRI. To run aground someone's culture when that party is absent and so unable to defend is futile and is in no way a Herculean task. Give me one minute and I'll shred the Japanese culture to bits, and who'll oppose me??

wht with west showing ridiculing indians with naked chilren villages black people ,people not having enough to eat.even they show a wrong image abt us. wont u oppose that?

souro thumbnail

Originally posted by: sandya_rao7

wht with west showing ridiculing indians with naked chilren villages black people ,people not having enough to eat.even they show a wrong image abt us. wont u oppose that?

I've already opposed that here itself if you remember. But in this case it's the Indian directors who show NRI girls dressed as tramps, which is so so wrong too.

Edited by souro - 17 years ago

I've already opposed that here itself if you remember. But in this case it's the Indian directors who show NRI girls dressed as tramps, which is so so wrong too.

Aren't we taking cinema too seriously. In most NRI films for every Poo there is a Simran too😳. These characters are fictional and directors never claimed it be a facet of any society be it Indian or Western.

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Yes, I agree this is off topic but the point is that this thread started off topic and stayed that way. Don't you think, that we had a tad bit more western bashing than is necessary. Even before in one thread an overtly glorified picture of touching the feet by Indians was presented as a logical proof that Indian culture is better than Western culture. They're content with their culture and we're happy following ours, so how can we say that ours is better and term their's as loose at every given oppurtunity, have we tried living their kind of life. If it is to be established that which culture is better then the debate should be with an Westerner as in a white and not an NRI. To run aground someone's culture when that party is absent and so unable to defend is futile and is in no way a Herculean task. Give me one minute and I'll shred the Japanese culture to bits, and who'll oppose me??

πŸ˜†πŸ˜† as ridiculous as it gets..πŸ˜†

souro thumbnail

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

πŸ˜†πŸ˜† as ridiculous as it gets..πŸ˜†

Qwerty will you please care to explain as to what is so ridiculous?? πŸ˜•

Edited by souro - 17 years ago
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Qwerty will you please care to explain as to what is so ridiculous?? πŸ˜•

Its just a realization souro that unless the domain of debate is well-defined, besides getting an occasional intelligent rebuttal, one could be wallowing is absurd misinterpretations coming across as rebuttals..πŸ˜†.Even without going into any details I can say that whoever said the first 10 of those bold words above wouldnt have meant it the way it got interpreted...but its fun to know how people interpret...πŸ˜†.. thats what made me laugh

Wesstern culture is just a facade...nobody knows it more than an oxymoron.. and here "Western" means predominantly american.. europe still has some traces of tradition and culture...😊

Edited by qwertyesque - 17 years ago
ani11 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
.Edited by ani11 - 14 years ago