NRIs-Their potrayal in Bollywood movies .

Posted: 17 years ago
.Edited by ani11 - 14 years ago
Excellent topic Anita. πŸ‘
I've always almost shaken my head in sheer disgust and denial while watching Karan Johar, Chopra etc. movies showing NRI protagonists. But then their movies based on Indian background are far from realities as well. Their main goal is to entertain at any cost. Gone are days when majority of sucessfull movies truly reflected upon the culture and society they were made in.
Originally posted by ani11

We all know that a lot of Bollywood movies now a days have their characterss based in US or UK or some other country.

Often these characters are shown to be westernised with no respect for elders basically lacking in our indian culture and values.

What do the NRIs think about this?

Do you think that the Bollywood movies potray us the way we really are or is it an exaggeration?

I know that we Indians living outside India make a conscious effort to preserve our culture and pass it on to the next generation.I make sure that my kids touch the feet and say namaste to all the elders in the family because that is the part of my culture and the place where I come from and I am sure the other Indians also do make an effort to teach their kids what their culture is.

For example the way Kareena Kapoor's character in KKKG was ,do u think it was a correct potrayal of an Indian girl living in UK?

Want to know the views of u guys especially NRIs.😊

See its easier to break than to make, in this case traditional values... most NRI's realize they still can survive if the just throw away all traditional values... so its easier to accept western values and put down indian tradition whereas in india, even in adversity or westernization a large percentage of people uphold these values so these isolated nri's become butt of all humor... regarding Kareena in KKKG its way too much exaggerated... and hardly realistic...😊

For example the way Kareena Kapoor's character in KKKG was ,do u think it was a correct potrayal of an Indian girl living in UK?

Since I'm not a NRI I won't give my views. πŸ˜› πŸ˜‰ This part just reminded me of a review that I read of K3G by one of the users of IMDb. I'm quoting a part of it:

"...The films weaknesses (and there are many) start off first of all with the odiously conceited Kareena Kapoor, who in spite of the costume designer's self-proclaimed "sophisticated" wardrobe looks and acts like a cheap tramp throughout the film (note to Bollywood costume designers: in England and America the only women who dress in skin-tight cleavage-revealing sequined mini-dresses when they go to the mall are PRO*****TES. Get it right!).....

.....The third weakness (and Hrithik/Kareena fans will disagree) was all the disco look-at-Hrithik's-muscles look-at-Kareena-shake-her-butt dances. I fast forwarded them after a few minutes. Tasteless and boring, IMO. Hrithik is not a bad actor, he is more than just a bulging-biceped pretty boy, but you'd never know it from these scenes. Also, again, the fact that all the NRI women in the film are dressed like h**kers is just WRONG...." - dmul53

Edited by souro - 17 years ago
Were the Indians in India realistic in K3G??

Poo (kareena) was just one of the annoying screen fillers for rolling crowds inside the theaters.

Since you criticize WESTERNIZATION yet again, 🀒 can you please cite 5 examples of people in UK / America that seriously lack respect for elders and hence are trashy/ lowly comapared to great Indians? If that is all you see around you, perhaps finding a better neighbourhood is what I suggest.  I have yet to come across a cultureless white person (not speaking of white trash, because trash comes in all colors and browns are not too far behind)and yes, MOST of my colleagues and friends are white (some relatives too).  If you are labeling lack of rsepect for elders as a WESTERN trait 🀒🀒, I can tell you real names of actual people in India doing the same, treating their parents / in laws like garbage.  

Several Bollywood movies are far from reality and the characters in them rarely speak of any community.

Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
Character that Kareena portrayed in K3G was not of NRI but KJI - K Johar's mind resident Indian...Totaly fictitious.

Want to know the views of u guys especially NRIs.😊

Ani excellent topic.  My 2 cents and personal experience.

Kareena's characher in K3G was of a few Typical Uppar Class Rich airhead of Indian Origin not of an NRI.  No Offense meant😳

Edited by Dabulls23 - 17 years ago
Originally posted by Dabulls23

Ani excellent topic.  My 2 cents and personal experience.

Kareena's characher in K3G was of a few Typical Uppar Class Rich airhead of Indian Origin not of an NRI.  No Offense meant😳

I completely second that.