Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago
Ok...this is for people who think every aspect of Indian culture is great, need no change and they will stick to every custom that was there in India in the olden times. Please raise your hands and promise that the next time one of your parents or your teacher visits you, you'll wash their feet with your own hands and then drink that water as was the custom earlier.

Originally posted by: souro

Ok...this is for people who think every aspect of Indian culture is great, need no change and they will stick to every custom that was there in India in the olden times. Please raise your hands and promise that the next time one of your parents or your teacher visits you, you'll wash their feet with your own hands and then drink that water as was the custom earlier.

dont u think we r going off the track? the topic is abt bolywood potrays the wrong image of NRI's

and ya to answer ur sacarsm i have said in every post of mine indian culture was not perfect nor is western all cultures have their own pros and cons and indians have adapted to all culture mingled with them and moved ahead.

and am proud to be an indian and i knw that my culture is unique and praise worthy

ani11 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
.Edited by ani11 - 14 years ago
ani11 thumbnail
sowmyaa thumbnail
Both the culture has great values that we can adopt. West has lot of things that we can learn and so does India. I personally love the way Indians take care of their parents at old age, the way they are considered as family unlike west where we one need to set up a date to meet family. In West I like the way they teach their kids to be independent and give them their space needed in life.

I think Ani has not started the topic to degrade West or put Indian values to pedestal. I think she just wants to discuss the cultre shown in bollywood movies and if that truly reflects NRIs. May be it does, maybe it does not. Please debate with your points rather than taking it personal and trying to justify which culture is best and which is not. Edited by sowmyaa - 17 years ago
IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: sowmyaa

Both the culture has great values that we can adopt. West has lot of things that we can learn and so does India. I personally love the way Indians take care of their parents at old age, the way they are considered as family unlike west where we one need to set up a date to meet family. In West I like the way they teach their kids to be independent and give them their space needed in life.

I think Ani has not started the topic to degrade West or put Indian values to pedestal. I think she just wants to discuss the cultre shown in bollywood movies and if that truly reflects NRIs. May be it does, maybe it does not. 

I agree with Sowmyaa Di!!Once in a bluemoon I agree with Sowmyaa Di😊.BTW I thought all NRI's in this forum are like the characters in Karan Johar's good films.

Sowmyaa Di - Kajol in K3G.

Infact I thougt somany Hritiks and Abhisheks of Karan Johar films are here. If the people are not like that ayyo!!! what am I doing here?? Sorry for spamming!!!

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: souro

The point is you have no right to question anyone if they want to do it..I hope you understand that....part of the debate...

Almost every aspect of Indian culture is great....and compared to teh west which is visibly impoverished in these matters....Watch Simpsons to understand these sarcastic overtones..although a cartoon it reflects on the amrican culture quite a bit..through its creative sarcasm..

But dont forget pseudo-transformers have corrupted the aspects of indian culture over decades and so there is a posiblity of impurities still showing up once in a while..

souro thumbnail

Originally posted by: ani11

I don't understand why this touching the feet thing is being distorted like that.

U guys need to go and read the opening post and tell me where have i suggested that the people who do not touch the feet do not respect their elders.I would like to EDIT that right away.

It was JUST AN EXAMPLE to tell u that that is the way we do it.Would'nt i teach my kids what i have learned from my parents.What was so wrong in that statement that it is being distorted and misinterpreted by everyone.

Souro can u do the honors,please tell me where am i wrong in that statement i made about touching the feet.

As far as ur question is concerned ,yes i will touch the feet of elders and teachers when i meet them but who washes the feet and drinks that water ,i don't know.

There are good and bad points in every culture same goes for Indian culure too.That is not the point.I wanted to know if the depiction of the NRIs is correct in the Bollywood movies.

Ani the post of mine has nothing to do with your original post. Infact I had no problem with your post, it only seemed to honestly question 'why the Hindi films portray the NRIs in a  way that is most probably not true and whether it's right or not'. What I have problem with is the way some people jump to the conclusion that western culture is 'loose' at the drop of a hat. The westerners are living with their culture however li'l or great that maybe, why should we say that it has no values.

I apologize for offending you but the post was not directed at you.

ani11 thumbnail
souro thumbnail

Originally posted by: sandya_rao7

dont u think we r going off the track? the topic is abt bolywood potrays the wrong image of NRI's

and ya to answer ur sacarsm i have said in every post of mine indian culture was not perfect nor is western all cultures have their own pros and cons and indians have adapted to all culture mingled with them and moved ahead.

and am proud to be an indian and i knw that my culture is unique and praise worthy

Yes, I agree this is off topic but the point is that this thread started off topic and stayed that way. Don't you think, that we had a tad bit more western bashing than is necessary. Even before in one thread an overtly glorified picture of touching the feet by Indians was presented as a logical proof that Indian culture is better than Western culture. They're content with their culture and we're happy following ours, so how can we say that ours is better and term their's as loose at every given oppurtunity, have we tried living their kind of life. If it is to be established that which culture is better then the debate should be with an Westerner as in a white and not an NRI. To run aground someone's culture when that party is absent and so unable to defend is futile and is in no way a Herculean task. Give me one minute and I'll shred the Japanese culture to bits, and who'll oppose me??