Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 4 months ago

Originally posted by: SakZ

For an actress, pulling off bikini isn’t necessary. She can live without that. It has nothing to do with acting. 

Yeah may be has something to do with stardom. 

Except Bollywood prefers stars over actresses. Which is how Katrina is still a star today. Deepika has proven she has the acting chops in previous films, now she's leaning towards commercial success.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ria23

I think right now bollywood does not have a female superstar. Jawan and pathan collection happened because of the story line, characters and shahrukh as well. Deepika have a part but is not the reason. 

alia I believe is a good actress. But she has bot done any action/thriller movie.

Deepika movie chappak did not work only by herself. While Raazi did a good collection. 

Nevertheless, i dont believe bollywood has a female superstar who can bring audience to theatres by only doing a female centric film.

Chappak was always going to be a difficult sell because audiences like to see their superstars beautiful and attractive. Deepika with a scarred face was not going to be a selling point for the masses who have no problems watching her in Ram Leela, Happy New Year, Chennai Express, Race 2, etc. Same reason SRK in Zero was not accepted because no one wants to see him as a dwarf. Cinema is a visual medium which is why beautiful actors tend to be favored on the big screen even if others are more talented but not as drop dead gorgeous (Konkona Sen Sharma and Manoj Bajpayee). 

Alia had no physical imperfections in Raazi that would deter audiences and the subject matter was more appealing to the masses. She was playing a patriot in a spy film with some action and we know how action movies are favored today. Deepika's film involved a social issue about women which most men (based on the reaction to Animal) are not able to understand and don't want to. In fact, many of these men are part of the problem. They will not support a film that preaches to them and reminds them that their actions are responsible for women like Deepika's character. It hits too close to home for them. Look at Sadak 2's massive failure to see how Alia by herself is not a box office draw.

But I agree that Bollywood has not had a female superstar since the days of Sridevi and Madhuri. 

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: Clochette

As I can only vote, I give you my like for your post this way, RPA smiley1 smiley27 (again two movies who shouldn't be compared in the name of boxoffice success).

My vote goes to Deepika because of her screen presence combined with her good acting.

I think one can take - in the commercial part of the Hindi filmindustry - Deepika, Alia and Katrina as the most prolific stars.

At the moment, to me, Deepika is 'the number one'.

Thank you, I'm confused why the reactions have been changed to upvotes. This isn't Reddit lol.

Both films are so different in subject matter and tone that it feels really ridiculous to compare them. Not to mention, Raazi is a Dharma film so it has KJo promoting it everywhere with all his connections and money whereas Deepika's film did not have a big banner behind it, and it came out in 2020 right as the pandemic was starting. Completely different contexts.

Social media can sometimes be a good barometer of audience demand and it's quite telling that fans have been asking for a Katrina spinoff movie from the Tiger series for a while, a Zoya solo film. Deepika's Rubai was also circulating on social media to get a spinoff movie. I have not seen anyone say they wanted an Alia spy movie. And based on the box office of Tiger 3 and the delays in future films in the spyverse, I find it very hard to believe that they'll even bother with an Alia film. It's as DOA as that Priyanka, Katrina, Alia road trip movie.

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4

Agree with everything you wrote.

Looking forward for Katrina's Merry Christmas smiley1

Whom would you vote as current number one? (It's a voting thread only)

To me, it really was the impact Deepika made in Jawan that makes her stand out at the moment (and the part in the prison was on her shoulders alone).

Also Chhapaak was a bold and stunning performance (we all know that there also had been a negative campaign against Deepika at the time of the release).

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4

It's the first time, I wrote in this kind of a thread where - I guess - the voting for the actress is done by voting up posts.

I wonder if this is a new feature... is it explained anywhere?

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: Clochette

It's the first time, I wrote in this kind of a thread where - I guess - the voting for the actress is done by voting up posts.

I wonder if this is a new feature... is it explained anywhere?

I wonder if that's the reason. Other threads still have the reaction buttons so it's only this one I'm seeing where you can upvote. Good catch. 

I haven't seen anyone else mention it yet or it explained.

PardesiBabu thumbnail
Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Anniversary 2 Thumbnail

Sabko Alia jaisi ghar baite baite Karan Johar ki wajah se movies nahi milta 

Koi gadha hi hoga jo YRF ka spy universe nahi karega

Aur Katrina aur DP ka roles kisi bhi angle se flowers pots bilkul nahi the 

Katrina is YRF first female spy n best action heroine jisne Salman ko overshadow kar diya smiley14

Edited by PardesiBabu - 4 months ago
carisma2 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

Thriller Tribe

I know. And U like Jahnvi  and Sara.

You like that girl from that movie on trafficking  can't rem her name or the films name..

Kareena also has some very good movies. When she's seriously into her role she is brilliant. I love her in oh that terrorist movie, what's it called... the one with Saif. He turns out to be a terrorist and she finds out after they get married. Starts with K. 

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Already labeled Queen of 2024. There is not even another option for SRK's Queen than Deepika so why is this silly question even being asked.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/news/fans-react-to-teaser-of-shah-rukh-khan-and-deepika-padukones-new-ad-call-them-king-and-queen/articleshow/106493859.cms?from=mdr

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5344858

Also to be the #1 actress, you must have global/international appeal. Deepika is #2 after Kajol (tied with Aishwarya and Preity) with the most #1 movies internationally at 4 films (Om Shanti Om, Padmaavat, 83, and Pathaan). You-Know-Aloo has 0.

I can easily see Deepika tying with Kajol for #1 if Fighter becomes the highest grossing movie overseas which is likely since no other release this year looks very promising.