Which actress has the best box office draw currently?

FatalFlaw thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 months ago

Opening day figures can certainly reveal a lot about a star's box office pull, but it's also influenced by other factors like promotions, release dates, and more. In my opinion, Alia has consistently proven herself. She's delivered strong opening numbers with films like Udta Punjab, Raazi, and Gangu Bai without relying on any major co-stars. Kareena holds the record for the biggest box office opening among female actors, she also has Udta Punjab and Ki and Ka that opened strongly. Deepika's box office pull is somewhat uncertain as she tends to shy away from solo movies. Chhapaak and Piku didn't have very strong opening day figures. Katrina, on the other hand, hasn't starred in a movie in years that didn't rely on big names, and the one with Sidharth Malhotra didn't perform well. Can you think of anyone else who can attract a substantial opening day audience? Rani,maybe? 

Edited by FatalFlaw - 5 months ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Diya_Abhilasha thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Superstar and queen of Bollywood Mrs Alia Bhatt Kapoor smiley16

HearMeRoar thumbnail

As the main lead? Alia

As the female lead. Deepika. To be clear, Alia as female lead way down the line as box office draw.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 5 months ago
MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Does anybody except Alia and Deepika even have a draw? 

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: MostlyHarmIess

Does anybody except Alia and Deepika even have a draw? 

would you count Katrina when/if this next film is successful?

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Maroonporsche

would you count Katrina when/if this next film is successful?

If she can make a few films post Tiger 3 work. 

I do think a hypothetical Tiger 3 without Katrina would make way less than a Tiger 3 with Katrina, but I don't know if she has the same kind of pull outside the franchise. You can see it in the marketing too. She is not at the front and center of it, as she used to be in 2011-2014ish.

FatalFlaw thumbnail

How can you tell how much credit to give the actress in a movie where a big male lead stars alongside her? How do you determine her contribution? For example, would Dabang or Om Shanti Om have earned more if they had Aishwarya Rai or Katrina Kaif in the lead role at that time? 🤔 Do the Tiger movies really need Katrina Kaif, or could any other fit and toned actress have achieved similar box office numbers? It's all a bit perplexing. You can attribute the success of Veere Di Wedding to Kareena Kapoor, but then Laal Singh Chaddha with Aamir Khan earned less than 10 crores on the first day. Should she be equally blamed?

These box office figures can be quite ambiguous.

NoraSM thumbnail

None has any box office draw

People are going for movies not actors (Majority) that's why a Ranbir Kapoor movie ( Shamshera is a disaster in July and a Ranbir Kapoor movie Brahmastra gives highest non holiday opening in September

If Alia had a pull then she would have released her movie Darlings in theaters but she chose to release it on Netflix, which producer would mind extra income guaranteed by presence of a star in it? 

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4

As my choice of movies to watch at the theatre depends on my interest in the movie (+ the screening in my area), I don't ponder about the box-office-draw.

Tiger is screened on Sunday in eleven theatres with a one-way-drive between half-an-hour and more than one hour, but on Saturday and Monday it's only one theatre quite far away and Tuesday no cinema in my area (I don't know for the following days yet). So, if something hinders me to go on Sunday, I might not have another chance.

Box-office-draw isn't my priority for a movie smiley1

Edited by Clochette - 5 months ago
FatalFlaw thumbnail

Originally posted by: NoraSM

None has any box office draw

People are going for movies not actors (Majority) that's why a Ranbir Kapoor movie ( Shamshera is a disaster in July and a Ranbir Kapoor movie Brahmastra gives highest non holiday opening in September

If Alia had a pull then she would have released her movie Darlings in theaters but she chose to release it on Netflix, which producer would mind extra income guaranteed by presence of a star in it? 

I sort of agree with the first part. I think no one, including the Khans, can guarantee a 100% big opening. Even someone like Aamir, who has opened multiple films with 50 plus openings, opened his last film with less than 10 crores? Unbelievable.

As for the Bold part, I think the producers can't release their films in theaters if Netflix has already bought them. Netflix also pulled Glass Onion out of the theater, which was a sure-shot blockbuster.They have acquired many prestigious films to retain their subscribers. Producing Indian films and buying them is to broaden their net.