Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

VirginiaPlath thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 5 months ago

Zoya Akhtar blames media for nepotism, says it’s ‘heartbreaking’ to see more than half the Archies cast ignored: ‘Sorry, it’s your problem’

Zoya Akhtar and Reema Kagti said that it is the media's fault that star-kids are highlighted in the film industry, because outsiders in the same position are often ignored.

• By: Entertainment Desk
  • November 14, 2023 09:58 ISTsuhana khan, khushi kapoor agastya nanda archiesSuhana Khan, Agastya Nanda and Khushi Kapoor in The Archies song Va Va Voom.

Listen to this article

Director Zoya Akhtar suggested that the media is being hypocritical about the nepotism debate in the film industry, because it chooses to focus on star-kids even when others can be highlighted. Citing her upcoming film The Archies as an example, Zoya pointed out that most of the attention has gone to the three celebrity star-kids on the roster – Agastya Nanda, Suhana Khan and Khushi Kapoor – and not the four other newcomers. She didn’t, however, admit that this wouldn’t have happened if she hadn’t cast them in the first place, in the central roles no less.

MOST READ

1Tiger 3 box office collection Day 2 early reports: Salman Khan film will aim to go on an overdrive with more than Rs 80 cr all-India nett

2Tiger 3 box office collection day 1: Salman Khan gets biggest opening of his career as film braves Diwali day to record Rs 94 cr earning

See More

An adaptation of the popular comic book series, The Archies also features Mihir Ahuja, Vedang Raina, Aditi ‘Dot’ Saigal and Yuvraj Menda. Together, the seven actors play the famous gang of teenagers from the comics. In an interview with Film Companion, Zoya and her longtime creative partner Reema Kagti were asked to honestly address the casting of the three star-kids, and they said that they simply chose the best performers for the roles. “This is my fifth film, this is not my first rodeo. You’ve seen my work, and I cast to what I think will work for the film, and will work for when you’re doing a theatrical for your budget. You have to balance it out. This was a Netflix film, I had no pressure. I could’ve cast anybody, and honestly, I didn’t need to do anything for once,” she said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Holding a mirror up to the media, she continued, “What I find fascinating is this, there were seven kids on that poster. Netflix and Tiger Baby put seven kids on that poster, and the media only spoke about three, and then turns around and tells us about nepotism. Actually, you’re the one not giving the other four attention. You robbed their moment, that’s just heartbreaking to see. You took away their moment, I’m sorry, it’s your problem.” Reema chimed in, “I’ve had a lot of people say to me, ‘You’ve cast these star-kids’, and I tell them, ‘We had seven kids in the trailer, do you know the other four’s names? Did you bother to look at them?’ Because we are very excited about them. What happened was actually quite sad about the other four, and for the three (star-kids).”

smiley36

Maroonporsche thumbnail

What about when she said films that shouldn’t have been made get sequels. 

Sounds like her and her brothers entire existence smiley36

MaebyFunke thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Lol these nepo orchestrators always carry a bargaining chip. So she cast non-nepos, so are we to applaud this as a great deed. She's simply doing her job, not filling a diversity requirement. The three principal characters Archie, Betty and Veronica are filled by nepos. The other kids were hardly there in the trailer. The focus has stayed on the leads alone. You don't see interviews of other kids with the exception of Vedang, perhaps. 

As our estemeed member MostlyHarmless coined, Hack-tar is at her truest here. smiley36

Daebak thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Chitt bhi meri, patt bhi merismiley36

Joannna thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Atleast own the fact that she has cast nepo kids. Why become so defensive ?

sev.puri thumbnail
Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

I can only speak about the trailer, but no one stood out to me per se. Nepo or non nepo (but maybe that was Zoya’s plan all along)

Maharani69 thumbnail
Engager 4 Thumbnail Anniversary 7 Thumbnail + 6

Zoya bro, do I look like a gas stove to you!!?

SakZ thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

I agree with her. 👍🏼

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4

Although I haven't watch the trailer, I also think that it is thought as an ensemble cast...and good journalistic reporting should respect all of them equally.

In this case, it's really the media (social, too) who focus on the star-kids.

I bet, not many even did research work about Vedang Raina, Mihir Ahuja, Aditi Saigal and Yuvraj Menda.

When the movie has released and been watched, there is still ample time to focus on the performances.

I guess, Vedang has already got attention and Mihir already is known as a good actor. Aditi (Dot) seems to be an interestingly creative artist and Yuvraj is interested in fashion.

From the teaser (long time ago) I had a good impression of their dynamic.

However, I really wondered what Zoya was gaining by taking so much time with the release....

Edited by Clochette - 5 months ago