Why was the concept of love so flawed in 90s- early 2000s BW

_symphony thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 6 months ago

Seriously why!? Being a 90s kid,  I was in my teens in late 2000s and now I  think why did i ever follow BW as an inspiration for romance/love? It kind of screwed up my teenage love life! You know in india we don’t have subjects like personality development, social grooming and sex education where feelings of liking, attraction and romance are addressed for teens. Our parents too are not equipped to talk about these topics. I still remember when my mom came to know about my first (and one sided) crush which was quite serious too, she comforted me by saying that this is a very small issue of life, and I will face so many of them in life. haha.  Like i don’t blame her she is very innocent and yes like every indian parent she too didn’t know how to navigate me through that situation, but i feel disappointed that at that time no one close to me realised the fact that I had become mature enough to understand what liking and affection means. And probably I needed to be guided through how i can make better romantic relationships. Things like how to initiate a friendship with someone you seem to like or how to express your feelings to a classmate/friend…tbh why do parents always presume that kids will learn about the difficult topics like love, friendship, sex, relationships on their own or through pop culture or through our peers when they themselves keep kids away from friends/movies etc. 

Anyways, coming back to topic, i was a complete introvert who did not have any friends to learn what dating or relationships meant and hence had to rely on pop culture only - Bollywood! Which was 10 steps behind!! Every film back then relied on ‘chance encounters’ as the base of love! Encounters where a girl or guy choose each other in their heart as soon as they see them and then start pursuing them until the other relents. And i regret thinking that all this was real even till late teens/early tweens! So many lost chances darn! 😂 

It was towards the late 2000s that films that focussed on other aspects of romance started getting more popular - Aspects like friendship or someone’s company. Aspects like camaraderie or feelings or physical attraction. Then slowly as social media took over, filmmakers thankfully started to realise that they have been showing the process of love in the wrong direction probably. Two people falling in love is no often a coincidental or heavenly occurrence… And no guy falls in love with a girl who helps a blind man cross the road lmao… In real the concept of love is flawed and humane and not divine and we have to accept it. We pursue a partner for lust, we pursue a partner because we are lonely, we pursue a partner because we are desperate and in all these pursuits, sometimes we are lucky to fall in love with the same person and luckier if they feel the same! Recently i happened to watch KANK again -  Second time since i watched it first in the theatres and i ended up disliking it again! But this time not just because of the glorification of cheating but because how it romanticises the idea of love. If your spouse behaves well with you, treats you good & loves you, it is possible that that’s not love. But the sudden surge of adrenaline and dopamine you feel with a stranger - that can be love. It’s funny-Rani and SRK are so consistently and intentionally loved by their partners but that doesn’t instigate any sparks ever and an encounter with a like minded toxic person causes flames. How mythical! I just feel so dumb to have believed these films and followed them as a rulebook of romance lol it took teenage me a while to understand that all this bullshit. They say BW doesn’t make great romances anymore..I’d say i am so glad they dont! The films we have today might lack the element of the romance saga like a kkhh or ddlj but they at-least try to be real! They at least acknowledge that liking for someone isn’t a divine intervention…its a lot of conscious effort …Effort to make yourself likeable - Physically, mentally , socially, emotionally, psychologically as well as effort to sustain the relationship once it’s made. RRKPK is the best example i would say - Such a 180 degree turn from KJo’s other films…For Rocky and Rani… Lust and attraction happens first, then physical and emotional attachment happens (The scene where Rani asks Somen to hug her and mentally compares it with Rocky’s hug, she subtly accepts that she has needs too and she cant help but be  fixated with he person who fulfils them like a pro) and when they finally put all their effort to pursue each other, love finally finds it’s grip in their hearts! This was so much better than the make believe worlds of a KKHH or DTPH. 

Edited by _symphony - 6 months ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sulu82 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Nice article. :)

By that logic,  in KKHH, Rahul's love story with Tina is real than Rahul-Anjali. Means, Rahul gets attracted towards Tina first, then he started to having attachment (physically/ emotionally) with her.  Right?

Also, same can be said about Rahul-Simran love story. first attraction, lust then Love. 

NimbuMirchi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Too difficult to read madame.

Thoda paragraphs aisa kuch rakh lete to shayad himmat kar lete padhne ki. 🤷‍♀️

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: NimbuMirchi

Too difficult to read madame.

Thoda paragraphs aisa kuch rakh lete to shayad himmat kar lete padhne ki. 🤷‍♀️

I agree 100%. But read. It's worth the effort. 

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: sulu82

Nice article. :)

By that logic,  in KKHH, Rahul's love story with Tina is real than Rahul-Anjali. Means, Rahul gets attracted towards Tina first, then he started to having attachment (physically/ emotionally) with her.  Right?

Also, same can be said about Rahul-Simran love story. first attraction, lust then Love. 

Not quite. The Rahul Simran story is of teen crush during a vacation. Literally. Simran is a teenager. They had a holiday romance. What kind of other interaction did they have before calling it love? The Yin Yang of love has to be there in mental (intellectual), emotional, and physical terms.

Rahul-Tina were actually more matched though they, too, were very young. 

myviewprem thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

If you see films bollywood hollywood and assume thats true love and real life thats wrong 

its all imaginary 

In Maine pyar kiya you think Salman super rich will go to village become labourer and alok nath will say take Bhagyashree and marry her i permit stupidity, Salman shall be married off to a rich lady giving dhankis and hagyashree shall be married off to first unmarried man Aloknath meets 

In Kuch kuch hota hai do you really think in real life kajol will leave salman and marry a SRK at last never 

In DDLJ do you think SRK can come to remote punjab village and Kajol father will say jaa simar jee le apni zindagi never. SRK shall be beaten or killed or in jail in punjab village 

In Kabhie Kushi Kabhi Ghum do you think a hritik will try to get back SRK to family no way in real life Hrithik will be happy he has 100% dad property later on thank God SRK has left. In first place SRK will never dare marry Kajol after her dad death because he too does not want to lose AB Srs bungalow and business empire by displeasing him. He will think bhad me jae kajol if i get daddy empire i can have 1000 aishwarya rais (miss worlds) 

In Veer zara do you think SRK a indian fighter pilot a rani mukherjee will fight and free in pak court. The guy will die in jail never come out of jail 

In koi mil gaya do you think alien will ask Hrithik help they will capture Hrithik and take to their planet and experiment on him in their UFO

Reality is diff from movies or serials 

Sorry to say after seeing these movies even as 10-12 year olds we knew its all imaginary and not reality of life 

Just see around you in past gen your dad mom gen who married like maine pyar kiya or DDLJ or KKKG etc none or their story would be on paper or news. 

Do you think jack really jumped into ice cold water so rose gets a life boat to save her life in real titanic? OK may be in 1930s some real lovers may be there who may have done that. But in recent 40-50 years all are practical no one will go crazy in love.

If someone loves you its because they see some benefits of doing that, because its kalyug. Like you are rich so they want your or your dad property or you are pretty so flaunt you in front of others, or you are working and earning a lot or they have no one or the one they love has rejected them they want to show they can get better one or their parents are threatening to disinherit them if they do not marry girl etc etc long list of reasons are there why men love girls or vice versa. 

True love like romeo juliet salim anarkali majnu laila do not really exist in kalyug 

Todays romeo will not drink poison and die will juliet neither salim will risk losing next emperor post to one of his brothers and fight with dad akbar nor will majnu roam mad on streets in kalyug 

Edited by myviewprem - 6 months ago
JayaBachan thumbnail

EXCUSE ME, 

YOU HAD NO RIGHT RUINING EVERY MOVIE FOR ME AND BASICALLY TELLING ME I’M GOING TO DIE SINGLE AND UNLOVED. 

HOW DARE YOU 

NimbuMirchi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

I agree 100%. But read. It's worth the effort. 

Today is not a good day. Maaf kar bahen. 🙏

_symphony thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: myviewprem

If you see films bollywood hollywood and assume thats true love and real life thats wrong 

its all imaginary 

In Maine pyar kiya you think Salman super rich will go to village become labourer and alok nath will say take Bhagyashree and marry her i permit stupidity, Salman shall be married off to a rich lady giving dhankis and hagyashree shall be married off to first unmarried man Aloknath meets 

In Kuch kuch hota hai do you really think in real life kajol will leave salman and marry a SRK at last never 

In DDLJ do you think SRK can come to remote punjab village and Kajol father will say jaa simar jee le apni zindagi never. SRK shall be beaten or killed or in jail in punjab village 

In Kabhie Kushi Kabhi Ghum do you think a hritik will try to get back SRK to family no way in real life Hrithik will be happy he has 100% dad property later on thank God SRK has left. In first place SRK will never dare marry Kajol after her dad death because he too does not want to lose AB Srs bungalow and business empire by displeasing him. He will think bhad me jae kajol if i get daddy empire i can have 1000 aishwarya rais (miss worlds) 

In Veer zara do you think SRK a indian fighter pilot a rani mukherjee will fight and free in pak court. The guy will die in jail never come out of jail 

In koi mil gaya do you think alien will ask Hrithik help they will capture Hrithik and take to their planet and experiment on him in their UFO

Reality is diff from movies or serials 

Sorry to say after seeing these movies even as 10-12 year olds we knew its all imaginary and not reality of life 

Just see around you in past gen your dad mom gen who married like maine pyar kiya or DDLJ or KKKG etc none or their story would be on paper or news. 

Do you think jack really jumped into ice cold water so rose gets a life boat to save her life in real titanic? OK may be in 1930s some real lovers may be there who may have done that. But in recent 40-50 years all are practical no one will go crazy in love.

If someone loves you its because they see some benefits of doing that, because its kalyug. Like you are rich so they want your or your dad property or you are pretty so flaunt you in front of others, or you are working and earning a lot or they have no one or the one they love has rejected them they want to show they can get better one or their parents are threatening to disinherit them if they do not marry girl etc etc long list of reasons are there why men love girls or vice versa. 

True love like romeo juliet salim anarkali majnu laila do not really exist in kalyug 

Todays romeo will not drink poison and die will juliet neither salim will risk losing next emperor post to one of his brothers and fight with dad akbar nor will majnu roam mad on streets in kalyug 

I think in that case i was too naive at 10-12 because i did believe that shit😂 Though I don’t agree that all love relationships are for personal benefit but yes everyone wants a connection or some similarity in background/interest/goals. It’s never ki dekha aur pyaar hogaya just with looks or a good deed like bollywood always shows it.