excellent antagonists...a challenge for heroes

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 months ago

The thread about SRK's role in Darr ("KKKKKKiran!!!!") made me think how much a strong antagonist (character design/acting) can be a challenge to the traditional hero in a movie...so much that the hero gets 'overshadowed' by the antagonist and shapes the memory of the movie.

When I wrote in BI's thread, I also thought of John Abraham in Pathaan, who - rightly - got praise for his role as Jim.

The writers (Siddharth for the story & Shridhar Raghavan for the screenplay & Abbas Tyrewala for the dialogues) did a good job in showing the trauma responsible for Jim's cynical and nihilistic attitude still showing a kind of affection for Pathaan and regret that a friendship was out of question. (Both, John and SRK played the respective scenes 'to a T'). They made even sure that the motivation for Jim to get hostile was rendered more intensely than the motivation of the antagonist in Main Hoon Naa (of which Tyrewala was a writer, too).

Tyrewala, btw, was also writer in War, Bang Bang, Munnabhai, Maqbol and Asoka (among others).

Shridhar, btw, was also writer of War, the Night manager & C.I.D., Bluffmaster and Khakee (among others).

Other strong antagonists you came across (so that the 'place' of the hero was challenged in the film)?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

blue-ice.1 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 5

How do you know all this??❤️😲...So much detail.....👍🏼

BinKuchKahe. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Amrish Puri in Mr India - He overshadowed everyone in the film. I wanted to see more of his character.

Edited by BinKuchKahe. - 11 months ago
Clochette thumbnail

Dear, nothing special...Internet... 😊

Clochette thumbnail

Mogambo was an excellent villain, indeed!!! He rightfully became iconic in Hindi Cinema 😊

Blueberry94 thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Gabbar in sholey. PC in aitraaz.  Akshaye khanna and kumar in race and ajnabee. Rs in padmavaat. HR in dhoom2.  Aish in ps 1&2 the names which came at the top of my.head. dp and kat in race a bit grey shade and obvo saif in.omkara.

Edited by Blueberry94 - 11 months ago
SlowlyDrifting thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 8

Gabbar from Sholey movie is the baap of all 😆

SlowlyDrifting thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: Blueberry94

Gabbar in sholey. PC in aitraaz.  Akshaye khanna and kumar in race and ajnabee. Rs in padmavaat. HR in dhoom2.  Aish in ps 1&2 the names which came at the top of my.head. dp and kat in race a bit grey shade and obvo saif in.omkara.

Great minds think alike 😂😉

Blueberry94 thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: SlowlyDrifting

Great minds think alike 😂😉

🤣

Clochette thumbnail

Originally posted by: Blueberry94

Great collection!

Yes! Sholay, Padmavaat, Dhoom and Omkara had very strong antagonists/villains...Gabbar (like Mogambo) has become an iconic villain of Hindi Cinema, too.

I didn't watch Ponniyin Selvan yet (only read about), but yes for Priyanka in Aitraaz (one of the best female villains I've watched).