Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Celebs' personal choice or responsibility?

atominis thumbnail
Posted: 11 months ago

According to you, is it celebs' own choice how they lead life in public, what they say, do or wear or endorse or should they be more responsible about their stature and impact of their words, actions on public? 

Like I see Ajay, Akshay, Amitabh, Kapil Dev, SRK, Pierce Brosnan etc bashed for endorsing pan masala.

Or Rekha bashed for still expressing love for Amitabh or dressing like a bride. Or Hema bashed for her personal life choices like marrying a married man. Or Jaya bashed for being grumpy. Or Kangana swinging from feminism, liberalism to right wing nationalism - depending on whatever that suits her at any given moment.

Or many celebs were bashed for endorsing Coke, Pepsi, Thums Up when controversy broke out about these things having pesticides in them.

Celebs are bashed for their religious beliefs, totke, political beliefs, personal lives too. Ash and Amitabh were bashed for upay they did before Abhi and Ash wedding and accused of promoting superstitions in a deeply sexist and already superstitious country like India.

Kareena is bashed for marrying Saif and naming her sons Taimur and Jehangir.

Salman and Sanjay Dutt have been accused of being posterboys of toxic masculinity and being bad example for young boys. 

Swara, Richa, Naseer, Javed, Shabana, Kangana, Vivek etc have been bashed for ideologies or parties they support. 

My question is, where does it stop? Is a celeb always public property with no life or freedom of their own? Should they always keep public in mind before doing anything or choosing any film or ad? 

Deepika was shamed for choosing to do Gehraiyan as a married woman. Amitabh has been shamed for films like Nishabd, Cheeni Kum, Boom etc. Kareena was shamed for Veere di wedding 'despite being a mom and married woman'.

Where does it stop? Where do celebs and public draw the line? 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

NatkhatPyare thumbnail

IMG_20230522_083259.jpg

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Every fan would be different. I think best approach is to know their not perfect

pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

They don’t ..the world works in this crazy twisted way..even for non celebs 

They endorse healthy food - celebs ke nakhre…uff ..we just eat normal food and stay healthy ..why can’t they ?

They endorse unhealthy food - hypocrisy 

They eat whatever they want - omg she gained weight …she’s not really heroine material 

They keep a check on what they eat - omg why can’t aliaa just have sugar ..she’s soo uptight uggh 

marry for love- omg so much pda…so much overacting why can’t they be normal 

Arranged marriage - omg she just married him coz there was no other option left ..how sad

invite and hold 50 receptions for ur wedding to cover all media and colleagues - Omg itne saare function why…ameer log

Don’t invite anyone and be private - omg why can’t they just release footage why so strict ..ameer log 

Basically there is no winning because there is no logic …it’s all driven by emotions which keep changing , and so the standard keeps changing 

Blueberry94 thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Well yes sometimes they are bsshed for no reasons. Like marriage political views is their choice but endorsing gutka cigarette they re rightly called out and fairness products too but pepsi coke ads well its not a big issue as we all know its not healthy and all still even if they endorse  or not who wants to drink drink. Calling out fr pepsi coke  ad is a bit too much. But calling out fr being rude or misbehave in public i.support. but personal life choices like Political views marriage its upto their choice.

Edited by Blueberry94 - 11 months ago
atominis thumbnail

I think marriage or kids or relations are totally their choices and I do not see it irresponsible to get divorce or have breakups or marry late etc or have kids through surrogacy or stay childfree. 

However I do draw the line in cases of women like Hema and Sridevi marrying married men. I know it was their personal life but I see it as wrong example and lack of self respect and fidelity. Just me though.

I am in two minds whether Amitabh and Ash should have done those totke and remedies in public. I mean they are entitled to their beliefs but they should have done it secretly than do it in front of cameras in an already superstitious country like India.

I have read Rajinikanth stopped doing smoking scenes and cigarette style antics after criticism for inspiring generations of young kids to smoke who wanted to copy him and his style of flipping cigarette. It was his choice to do so. But he took responsibility of his impact on masses, so stopped the smoking in style scenes in films from 2000s.

I personally find some celebs like, say, Aamir to be irresponsible for promoting shady NGOs in Satyamev Jayate like Love Commandos which was recently in controversy for extorting money from runaway couples and taking money from both parents and couples to give or withhold details of couples who came to them for help. It was not a film or fiction and Aamir's team should have done more research and background check before featuring that NGO on their show.

I do not see political or religious beliefs as irresponsible. I mean Kamal Haasan being an atheist is his choice. Swara being liberal or leftist or Kangana swinging anywhere she sees power, seem to be their choices though I draw the line at hate speech Kangana indulges in on social media. 

atominis thumbnail

I am in two minds about Coke issue.

They were found to contain pesticides. So should one endorse such products? I hated Aamir and Smriti Irani doing ads for Coke to show as if it was verified and clean and safe to drink and they vouched for it being parents of young kids themselves. I wondered how much Amitabh was also paid to clean image of Cadbury after can of their hot chocolate was found to contain worms. He had also done an ad trying to show Cadbury was safe.

Are contaminated items safe? Coke was also found illegally drawing ground water and accused of water pollution as well. Aamir and co kept endorsing it still.

How fair is that for  celeb who acts like social crusader?