Ayushman: I can’t really see myself in a typical commercial potboiler

JackSparrowcraz thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 months ago

“I think in every era there has been space for every kind of character, every kind of actor. In the tens (2010s) there was a definite void for an actor who was also a character, especially, around the time Vicky Donor happened (2012). The protagonist was there in an unconventional film which did commercially well. Ranbir Kapoor had just made his debut. At the time there was this void of actors in their 20s as most of them were in their 30s and 40s. When Ranbir made his debut, I was like, ‘Yeah to aa gaya, ab mein kya karunga? (He’s come now, what will I do?)’ Then Ranveer Singh came into the industry in 2010/11 and again it made me think…’Yeh bhi aa gaya ab mein kya karunga? (now he’s also come, what will I do now?)’ I had no option but to take the unconventional path and fortunately, it worked for me. I was an anchor on television, and Shoojit Sircar saw something in me (for Vicky Donor). I didn’t even audition for that film, and it all started there.”

The actor then opened up about how he cannot see himself in a “typical commercial potboiler” and gets a “trip in my head” by taking risks.

“My entire career is made of risks. I just cannot not take risks. I can’t really see myself in a typical commercial potboiler… I don’t know, I’ve always been an unconventional actor, so I had to always take risks. The only trip in life is to do something that is out-of-the-box and novel and probably the first attempt in Hindi cinema. Throughout my filmography it’s been the norm that it should be one of a kind film. It’s that trip in my head, I guess. I don’t know about the outcome of the film but I only think about how it should be engaging and entertaining but the number one priority is that it should be the first step towards that direction.”