MaebyFunke thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 1 years ago

What are you favourite specials? Who are your favourite stand up comedians? West or Desi, anything will do. Share clips if you can. 

I think the West has it better, with legends like Chapelle, Chris Rock, Russell Peters, Gervais etc 

In India, there is seriously dearth of good stand up comics who know the audience's pulse. Some well known names like Biswa, Kanan, Kenny, Bassi, Zakir, Rahul S, Sahil, Upmanyu, Adar, Vir das, Sorabh, Abish Matthew, Naveen etc are hit and miss. 

I've intentionally left out women comics because there is this overbearing stereotype that women are not funny, especially in a comedy set up (writing or stand up). I rage against this, but honestly the Indian stand up scene with women is so dismal that the sterotype sometimes seems true. 😆

Okay let me list the famous women comics in Indian scene off the top of my head, Sumukhi, Kaneez, Srija, Urooj, Pragati, Aditi etc etc. I just find it so hard to laugh at any of their segments even though I wanna support them so bad. 

Even the specials with all these involved like Comicstaan, Improv are a snoozefest and make me question what am I watching. 

I feel like the main reason is that there is this discord between what they joke about and what the audience wanna hear. They ape their western counterparts too much what with comedy scene in India just starting out and being limited to metropolitan areas like Bangalore and Mumbai. Comics who speak in hindi specifically elicit greater response like Zakir and Biswa. Is there something to it? 

Also, I feel Indian comics are confused what they want their routine to be like. Most do observational comedy which goes banal because every millennial has the same take these days or the jokes are lifted off from social media. Most don't have the range to keep situational and anecdotal comedy going. 

Any views? 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MochaQueen thumbnail

There's only one person that makes me laugh and tht's Rajpal Yadav

bollyqueen0 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

This stand up is one of my favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whwQqMMyRPU

MaebyFunke thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: la_Reine

There's only one person that makes me laugh and tht's Rajpal Yadav

True. The millennial crowd just doesn't do it for me. I laugh the hardest when I watch old segments of Raju Srivastav. Rajpal Yadav is a gem, he doesn't even have to say anything, just his expressions are enough 😆

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Martin Lawrence

Dave Chapelle

Chris Rock

Eddie Murphy 

MochaQueen thumbnail
Originally posted by: ohophelia

True. The millennial crowd just doesn't do it for me. I laugh the hardest when I watch old segments of Raju Srivastav. Rajpal Yadav is a gem, he doesn't even have to say anything, just his expressions are enough 😆

Rajpal and Paresh make the best duo.❤️

Mr.Abrol thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Daebak thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Kanan is my favorite. I went for his most recent show, its good. Will be up online soon. 

I love Varun Grover. Akash Gupta is good too. Some of Vir Das's stuff is good too.

It's a hit and miss with Rahul Dua, Abhishek Upmanyu, and Kenny. Sometimes they are good, other times very boring.

Among female comics, some of Urooj's stuff is good. Gurleen Pannu is also good most of the time, loved her Comicstaan sets.

Some of Bassi's sets available on YouTube are good but his latest Prime Special was sooo bad, sooo bad that I was shocked. Prime should have refused to use it.

Edited by Daebak - 1 years ago
Daebak thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7