Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 1 years ago

I liked your post (and understand your reasoning), Saleem-Pheku (oh, can't tag you...will quote ... (and thanks for your nice words to me 😊)

Originally posted by: Saleem-Pheku

...The thought itself, that Bollywood sounds demeaning because it's based on Hollywood, comes from a western perspective!

Yes, one could think so, as I'm a European woman...and I also know non-South-Asian from Western countries who think likewise (but also some who think like you).

However, my wish stems from a feeling I got affirmed by Indian people of the Hindi filmindustry when I was in Mumbai and - recently - by YRF's "The Romantics".

I think, I'm romantic, too, as I Iong for the Hindi filmindustry to get more respect - also in its own country - simply because I'm a movie-lover. I grew up with German, English, French, Italian, (North- & South-) American, Danish, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Swedish (etc.) movies. I only accepted the term Hollywood because it is a genuine name.

When I got to know about Hindi Cinema through some SRK's movies first, then through watching other Hindi movies made throughout the history of Indian Cinema, I got more and more uneasy with the term "Bollywood" - especially when talking to/with other people about the movie-world I'd started to discover.

German TV (a private channel known more for it's cheap & sensationalised content) started to show Hindi films (first only SRK ones, then also others) and the term "Bollywood" was widely propagated... far too often (for my liking) causing smirks. The Hindi Cinema got stereotyped without much knowing (just because of the way people wrote or talked about) being a colourful, overemotional, laughable, VERY long, stupid and cheap Hollywood copy.

It really pained/paines me that such a superficial and DEMEANING opinion is supported by a name not respecting the Indianess  (and the variety) of this cinema.

What was Hindi Cinema called BEFORE the term Bollywood became the 'ducky' of the yellow press and entertainment pages of newspapers?

Edited by Clochette - 1 years ago
Clochette thumbnail

Carisma and D3viL, you made me smile 😊

carisma2 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: Clochette

Bless you darling. Always welcome. We have loads of smiles to give out. πŸ€—

Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

What was Hindi Cinema called BEFORE the term Bollywood became the 'ducky' of the yellow press and entertainment pages of newspapers?

To answer your query:

Meaning, I seriously dunno.πŸ€” I was brought up in the 90s, and for as long as I remember Bollywood was around.

PS: When it comes to ridicule an industry name won't help. Case in point - Bhojpuri Film Industry. Unlike Tollywood, Kollywood, etc. the industry is known by it's language's name. But but but when you see a classic like Nadiya Ke Paar and you see today's movies they produce, you'll quickly understand the movie and song quality needs to increase... not a change of name... to prevent ridicule.

Indians ridicule Hollywood a lot as well.... you really can't do much about that... β€οΈ

PPS: Unrelated. Do Sandalwood movie stars use Mysore Sandal Soap I wonder? (sorry that's a bad joke, Clochette, please ignore β˜ΊοΈ)

Clochette thumbnail

It was first called Hindustani films, then Bombay or Hindi films 😊

The name should give the possibility to see diversity in unity...like in family clans not everything is fine, not everything is bad, many nuances in between...

You're right, the change does come from within...here and in Bhojpuri Cinema...at least latter has a decent name πŸ˜‰

D3viL thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2

Cheers Clochette.. 

We have something in common? Wanna know what it is? πŸ€” 

Clochette thumbnail

Originally posted by: D3viL

Cheers Clochette.. 

We have something in common? Wanna know what it is? πŸ€” 

I'm eager to get to know 😊

D3viL thumbnail

I'm eager to get to know 😊

Don't get upset with me if I am wrong

I am brown on the outside and white on the inside ...like a πŸ₯₯ coconut .. I am an abcd .. Australian born confused desi

And you are an inverted coconut πŸ₯₯.. white on the outside and desi on the inside lololol

No?? Yes?

Can we skip formalities and be best friends now?

Clochette thumbnail

brown definitely is one of the colours inside me 😊

...and I won't get upset with you (if right or "wrong") πŸ˜‰

We also have the d, i and l in common (at least regarding my real name and your member name)...

...and sometimes, I can be a bit "devilish"...

D3viL thumbnail

brown definitely is one of the colours inside me 😊

...and I won't get upset with you (if right or "wrong") πŸ˜‰

We also have the d, i and l in common (at least regarding my real name and your member name)...

...and sometimes, I can be a bit "devilish"...

I figured your name out.. its either or 

Melinda 

Adeline 

... I think your bollywood forum name should be Adeline Ali Khan...πŸ˜†... you can be the Katrina Kaif of the forum!! What do you think your item song should be? 

... I am glad you can be d3vilish!!!!! I can be nice!πŸ˜†