Posted: 1 years ago

I still wonder why people stick to a demeaning name that neither represents the language nor a location, here in the forum and in India, too. You all write Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Punjabi etc ...it's extremely rare or doesn't happen at all, that I read here names like Kollywood, Tollywood, Mollywood, Gollywood, Pollywood,and/or Sandalwood.instead of language or region.

So, why stick to Bollywood, when Hindi is easy to write?

How hope for respect for Hindi movies when they all are called Bollywood movies. Already the sound of this word is ridiculous.

What do you think? I'm really interested how you feel about this term.

Amitabh avoids using this word and calls it disrespectful.

And I agree. These woods sound wannabe and like some cheap copy of Hollywood.

We do not need to use their terms.

I would prefer Indian cinema or referring by region or language such as Hindi cinema or Kannada or Tamil, Punjabi, Bengali etc.

The term Bollywood kind of irks me.

It irks even people from the filmindustry and nevertheless, it is used by many of them ... constantly. although they could easily say Hindi cinema, Hindi film, Hindi filmindustry... and MUMBAI isn't Bombay anymore! Will they not even there, where it is easily possible, shed the Western command???!!!

Edited by Clochette - 1 years ago

When I saw this title I thought it had todo with our Bollywood as itโ€™s a nick name given 

Originally posted by Clochette

I still wonder why people stick to a demeaning name that neither represents the language nor a location, here in the forum and in India, too. You all write Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Punjabi etc ...it's extremely rare or doesn't happen at all, that I read here names like Kollywood, Tollywood, Mollywood, Gollywood, Pollywood,and/or Sandalwood.instead of language or region.

So, why stick to Bollywood, when Hindi is easy to write?

How hope for respect for Hindi movies when they all are called Bollywood movies. Already the sound of this word is ridiculous.

What do you think? I'm really interested how you feel about this term.

itโ€™s Indians who divided things and use wood in their titles. Though Punjabi cinema does not maybe because itโ€™s small.  

Edit: Is pollywood referring to Punjabi cinema. I have never heard that term used. I only heard wood being used in north and south cinema. 

Edited by wat_up - 1 years ago

Letโ€™s not debate 

Letโ€™s just go from here 

letโ€™s refer to it as Hindi film industry, if others do thatโ€™s good. If others donโ€™t I donโ€™t know what to say 

That's because of impact of imperialism.

Okay, then first we should ask Vijay to change the name of this forum.๐Ÿ˜†

Ek pracheen showman bolke gayela hai "What's in a name?..."

Kya fark padta?

Itna effort aur energy kaiku daalne ka rename vename karne mein?

Hindi film industry bol sakte... phir bhi Bollywood naam jayenga nahin....

@Clochette - Does it really matter to the quality of movies produced? Hollywoodiyas can make whatever they want with this name... they can keep thinking it sounds cringey... but do we really have to care about THAT? Also, u might already know this, but it comes from Bombay (former name of Mumbai).

PS: Gormint ko name change karna padenga agar seriously enforce karna ho... but hum sab ka time aur effort waste honga bas aur kuchh nahin...

when this industry itself is a copy paste by copying most films from either west or international cinema and stealing most songs from the neighboring country then no harm in a copy cat name Bollywood, infect it suits given the scenario. 

Edited by shubh.shubh - 1 years ago