Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 1 years ago

Could be, Shub...I'm not an expert in box office matters (and generally not really interested in how much a movie did)...so, you could be right ๐Ÿ˜Š

as for the acceptance...it's about NOT accepting the term of 'Bollywood' for Hindi Cinema.

Purple5 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5

Most of the older movies used a mixture of language Hindi and Urdu together so how can one call it Hindi film industry? Even today a lot of movies use a mixture and especially songs do. Also the new movies use more English words than Hindi and these new actors canโ€™t even speak Hindi properly. 

Nishita123 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5

I agree you brought up a good point -  how about we call it Indian cinema and ask Vijay to change the name of the forum too? 

ChanChanMan thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

I always, always, always address the industry as 'the Hindi film industry'. Since I was a young girl. I hate the term Bollywood. It's derogatory, in my opinion.

wat_up thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Clochette

Jess, I don't know about the acceptance of a Salman movie as such, but I guess, as it belongs to the SpyUniverse and has dubbed versions, it will get some recognition. ๐Ÿ˜Š

I want it to get international recognition !! 

1t1svat1t1s thumbnail

I absolutely and wholeheartedly agree with this. Why canโ€™t it be Hindi Cinema? Bollywood is cringe.

Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Clochette

Do you know the meaning of "what's in a word", Saleem?

Actually, I would like that people don't give a pejorative term to something, when a neutre term is possible, too (which is).

Why shouldn't it be possible to use the term that had been used before the word "Bollywood" even existed?

Why not make people know that a Hindi movie is an Indian one in Hindi language and NOT a Bollywood one (because this term was deliberately associated to Hollywood although NOT all mainstream Hindi movies have copied from Hollywood movies, right?)

This thinking is same as Allahabad is not a good name let's change it to Prayagraj. Or, Bombay is not a good name let's change it to Mumbai.

Can such changes be effected? Yes, with a LOT of effort.

Are such changes really needed? I don't think so.

Let's agree to disagree on this!

Btw, what is German film industry called? 

Edited by Saleem-Pheku - 1 years ago
Clochette thumbnail

You're right, Purple, there often is a mix...still, Hindi is the prevalent language, especially in the movies since the time the mocking 'nick name' got a foot into the HIndi filmindustry door.

Clochette thumbnail

It's called German filmindustry, German movies, German actors/actresses, German Cinema...

Hollywood is a genuine location...it's a part of the Los Angeles area...and there indeed was a large wood once upon the time...before film studios had been built there. So, Hollywood Cinema started in Hollywood.

Bollywood has no meaning than a negative one...no wood, no location, no language, just an artificial term to mock the Hindi filmindustry.

Bombay, btw. was never an indigenious name, it's a Portuguese name for 'a good bay'. Mumbai, however, is named after Mumbadevi, the goddess, and the Marathi word for mother. I would largely prefer latter to former... it's a much older name with a more regionally specific signification. ๐Ÿ˜Š

vijay thumbnail

Originally posted by: Nishita123

I agree you brought up a good point -  how about we call it Indian cinema and ask Vijay to change the name of the forum too? 

Personally I like to keep it easy to understand and classify it with the language in which they are made.

When we redesigned the new design we wanted to move in this direction, and instead of Bollywood / Tollywood etc we wanted to go with Movie > Hindi / English or TV > Hindi / English / Marathi etc

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 1.12.17 PM.png

But we noticed many people still search Bollywood instead of Indian cinema. Probably the is this reason why many movie sites popped up using Bolly* in their name also.