Part 4 - pg 10

Part 5 - pg 12

Part 6 - pg 14

Part 7 - pg 16

Part 8 - pg 18

Part 9 - pg 21

Part 10 - pg 22

Epilogue - pg 26

A month had passed since Anuj had let his decision known to her, and they had not spoken much since then. They would come and go from the house without acknowledging each other, and they rarely spoke to each other when they were at home. They would prepare their meals separately and spend their evenings in their respective rooms, almost as if they were strangers.

Anuj was preparing for an important meeting with the board of directors. He wanted an update on the restaurant expansion project. He called up Mayank, who was the lead for that project.

Anuj: Hi, Mayank. Sorry to bother you when you are on paternal leave, but can you please give me an update on where we're at with our restaurant expansion?

Mayank: Yes, sir. We've made significant progress on the project since our last meeting. We've finalized the location and secured the necessary permits and licenses. (Baby cries in the background)

Anuj: That's great news. Where are we planning to open our next branch?

Mayank: New Delhi, Sir.

Anuj stopped flipping the pages of the file.

Mayank: All we have to do is sign the agreement with the landowner and then we can get on with the job.

Anuj: You have done an excellent job till now. I will oversee this project from now onwards, please enjoy your paternal leave.

Anuj had to leave for Delhi to finalize the deal, and he was happy at the prospect of seeing his little munchkin again. Despite the distance between them, he had always cherished the memories he had of his daughter and hoped that someday he would meet her again. After landing in Delhi, he wanted to call Maaya, to let her know that he is in town for 3 days and would like to meet Choti. He was so lost in thoughts that he didn't even realize that he had accidentally dialed a number on his phone.

As the phone rang, he was still lost in his thoughts, not paying attention to the ringing sound. But as the ringing persisted, he finally snapped out of his thoughts and looked at his phone. It was Maaya's call.

Anuj: Hi, Maaya.

Maaya: Hey Anuj, what a surprise. How are you?

Anuj: I am doing good. How are you? How is Choti?

Maaya: We both are fine. You tell me. To what do I owe the pleasure of this call?

Anuj: Actually, I am in town for three days. So, I was hoping if I could meet Choti.

Maaya: Sure. Let me know what time suits you.

Anuj: Tomorrow, I have a client meeting. Can we meet in the evening? Wherever you say.

Maaya: Sure thing. There's a famous children's park on Park Street. Let's meet there.

Anuj: Done. Let's meet tomorrow.

The next day, Anuj's meeting went smoothly. He was about to board the taxi when he received a call from Maaya.

Maaya: Anuj, how did your meeting go?

Anuj: It went well. I will reach within twenty minutes.

Maaya: Actually, I called you to say that Choti is not feeling well. We won't be able to meet you today. I wanted to inform you earlier, but since you had a meeting, I waited till it was over.

Anuj: What happened? She is fine, right?

Maaya: She is having a little fever and I had to call the doctor. It seems to be a minor viral infection. He prescribed some medicine and asked me to keep an eye on her. But he said that there's nothing to worry about, as it's a common cold that will go away in a few days.

Anuj: Maaya, Can I meet choti now? Only if you are okay with me coming to your home.

Maaya thought for a while and decided to let him meet Choti.

Maaya: Okay, I am texting you my address.

Anuj hurried over to meet his little princess. As soon as he boarded the taxi, it started raining heavily.

Maaya was preparing porridge for Choti when the doorbell rang. She opened the door and found Anuj standing with a big bag.

Maaya: You're looking a little damp. Did you get caught in the rain? Come inside.

Anuj: Yeah, I did. Thanks for letting me come to your place. I have brought some gifts for Choti. (He hands over the bag to Maaya)

Maaya: Do you want to borrow a towel?

Anuj: I'm fine, just a little damp. I'll dry off soon enough.

Maaya: Cool. AndtThis was not needed, Anuj. (Pointing to the bag)

Anuj: (Gave a smile) Where is she?

Maaya: She is sleeping inside.

Anuj went inside and sat beside Choti. Anuj started caressing her head. Maaya came with a bowl of porridge to feed her. As Maaya, tried to wake her up, her hand touched Anuj's hand. Anuj immediately apologized and moved back. As soon as Choti woke up, she was surprised to see Anuj.

Choti: Papa, you are here.

Anuj: Yes beta, I missed you, so I came to meet you.

Choti: You didn't miss me before.

Anuj: I always missed you, my little princess. Sorry, your papa was a little busy with work.

Maaya: Choti, let's eat porridge now. You have to take your medicine as well

Choti: Maa, I don't like to eat porridge. Moreover, the medicines are also bitter. (started making faces)

Anuj: (Taking Choti in his lap) Choti, to get better you have to take medicines. And my princess is a good girl, right? C'mon, now don't be stubborn and eat porridge. After you take your medicine, I will read a book to you. Anuj and Maaya feed her porridge.

Afterward, Anuj put her to bed while reading a storybook. He came out into the living room to find Maaya making coffee. He went to the balcony to check if it had stopped raining. It was still pouring heavily.

When Maaya brought Anuj coffee, she found him staring at the moon.

Maaya: Anuj, Coffee.

Maaya was about to leave.

Anuj: I finally told her.

Maaya: (Confused) Told what? And whom?

Anuj: Anupama. (He narrated the whole incident.)

Maaya: What now? Did you guys come to any conclusion?

Anuj: I'm still waiting for the day she tells me that she's done with me.

Maaya: Hmm. Are you okay?

Anuj: I guess I am. Sometimes I feel like I'm okay, and sometimes I don't. It's kind of hard to explain.

Maaya: I used to think about the right to be human. Not a family member, a friend, or a colleague but the right to be just a human being. I felt I am not qualified to be one. The right given only to people who abide by the rules of society and proudly set forth their names. The right to judge the world, criticize, be enraged, and despair. I thought I would never have those. But here I am, dreaming of a better tomorrow with my Choti. If I can move on, you definitely can. Accidents happen Anuj but that doesn't mean you stop traveling.

Anuj: (Anuj was staring at Maaya) I think you are right. Just that, sometimes I feel as if I am falling inside a bottomless pit from which I can never get out.

Maaya: Time is the best healer. Give yourself time. It may take you a year or a month or ten years. But one day, you would definitely overcome it. See, even the rain stopped after hearing my lecture.

Anuj looked at Maaya, and they both burst out laughing.

Anuj: I should leave now. Maaya, I am here for two more days. Can I meet choti for these two days?

Maaya: Sure, Anuj. You were a big help to me. I would have had a hard time feeding her porridge otherwise.

Anuj booked a cab and said goodbye. While he was on his way to the hotel, memories of the evening flooded his mind. He couldn't help but smile as he remembered the laughter and joy that filled the air.

Finally done with the 1st part. Let me know if it is too slow for you guys. I am personally a fan of slow burns.

Edited by strancho - 1 years ago
Posted: 1 years ago

I like the pace considering the background of these characters. Also, the Anuj and Maaya you have portrayed are much more sensible rather too good to be characters on any DKP show 👍🏼

I also love slow burns...there seems to be an air of authenticity about them. I also feel your writing is getting more nuanced. (Paternal leave...baby crying in the background...little things like that) 

The characters also have such a touch of  sensibility, I feel there is some reflection of your own personality there.

Do keep writing, I am liking their chemistry! 

Originally posted by strancho

A month had passed since Anuj had let his decision known to her, and they had not spoken much since then. They would come and go from the house without acknowledging each other, and they rarely spoke to each other when they were at home. They would prepare their meals separately and spend their evenings in their respective rooms, almost as if they were strangers.

Anuj was preparing for an important meeting with the board of directors. He wanted an update on the restaurant expansion project. He called up Mayank, who was the lead for that project.

Anuj: Hi, Mayank. Sorry to bother you when you are on paternal leave, but can you please give me an update on where we're at with our restaurant expansion?

Mayank: Yes, sir. We've made significant progress on the project since our last meeting. We've finalized the location and secured the necessary permits and licenses. (Baby cries in the background)

Mayank: All we have to do is sign the agreement with the landowner and then we can get on with the job.

Anuj: You have done an excellent job till now. I will oversee this project from now onwards, please enjoy your paternal leave.

Anuj had to leave for Delhi to finalize the deal, and he was happy at the prospect of seeing his little munchkin again. Despite the distance between them, he had always cherished the memories he had of his daughter and hoped that someday he would meet her again. After landing in Delhi, he wanted to call Maaya, to let her know that he is in town for 3 days and would like to meet Choti. He was so lost in thoughts that he didn't even realize that he had accidentally dialed a number on his phone.

As the phone rang, he was still lost in his thoughts, not paying attention to the ringing sound. But as the ringing persisted, he finally snapped out of his thoughts and looked at his phone. It was Maaya's call.

Maaya: We both are fine. You tell me. To what do I owe the pleasure of this call?

Anuj: Actually, I am in town for three days. So, I was hoping if I could meet Choti.

Anuj: Tomorrow, I have a client meeting. Can we meet in the evening? Wherever you say.

Maaya: Sure thing. There's a famous children's park on Park Street. Let's meet there.

The next day, Anuj's meeting went smoothly. He was about to board the taxi when he received a call from Maaya.

Maaya: Actually, I called you to say that Choti is not feeling well. We won't be able to meet you today. I wanted to inform you earlier, but since you had a meeting, I waited till it was over.

Maaya: She is having a little fever and I had to call the doctor. It seems to be a minor viral infection. He prescribed some medicine and asked me to keep an eye on her. But he said that there's nothing to worry about, as it's a common cold that will go away in a few days.

Anuj: Maaya, Can I meet choti now? Only if you are okay with me coming to your home.

Anuj hurried over to meet his little princess. As soon as he boarded the taxi, it started raining heavily.

Maaya was preparing porridge for Choti when the doorbell rang. She opened the door and found Anuj standing with a big bag.

Maaya: You're looking a little damp. Did you get caught in the rain? Come inside.

Anuj: Yeah, I did. Thanks for letting me come to your place. I have brought some gifts for Choti. (He hands over the bag to Maaya)

Anuj went inside and sat beside Choti. Anuj started caressing her head. Maaya came with a bowl of porridge to feed her. As Maaya, tried to wake her up, her hand touched Anuj's hand. Anuj immediately apologized and moved back. As soon as Choti woke up, she was surprised to see Anuj.

Anuj: I always missed you, my little princess. Sorry, your papa was a little busy with work.

Choti: Maa, I don't like to eat porridge. Moreover, the medicines are also bitter. (started making faces)

Anuj: (Taking Choti in his lap) Choti, to get better you have to take medicines. And my princess is a good girl, right? C'mon, now don't be stubborn and eat porridge. After you take your medicine, I will read a book to you. Anuj and Maaya feed her porridge.

Afterward, Anuj put her to bed while reading a storybook. He came out into the living room to find Maaya making coffee. He went to the balcony to check if it had stopped raining. It was still pouring heavily.

Anuj: I guess I am. Sometimes I feel like I'm okay, and sometimes I don't. It's kind of hard to explain.

Maaya: I used to think about the right to be human. Not a family member, a friend, or a colleague but the right to be just a human being. I felt I am not qualified to be one. The right given only to people who abide by the rules of society and proudly set forth their names. The right to judge the world, criticize, be enraged, and despair. I thought I would never have those. But here I am, dreaming of a better tomorrow with my Choti. If I can move on, you definitely can. Accidents happen Anuj but that doesn't mean you stop traveling.

Anuj: (Anuj was staring at Maaya) I think you are right. Just that, sometimes I feel as if I am falling inside a bottomless pit from which I can never get out.

Maaya: Time is the best healer. Give yourself time. It may take you a year or a month or ten years. But one day, you would definitely overcome it. See, even the rain stopped after hearing my lecture.

Anuj: I should leave now. Maaya, I am here for two more days. Can I meet choti for these two days?

Maaya: Sure, Anuj. You were a big help to me. I would have had a hard time feeding her porridge otherwise.

Anuj booked a cab and said goodbye. While he was on his way to the hotel, memories of the evening flooded his mind. He couldn't help but smile as he remembered the laughter and joy that filled the air.

Finally done with the 1st part. Let me know if it is too slow for you guys. I am personally a fan of slow burns.

I love it.👏🥰

Oh, my little heart is melting slowly just like a candle melting slowly to the flame.

Slow burn, fast burn, I don't care, I just know that it's in the hands of Pompy, so it's bound to be beautiful.

My heart filled with relief as I felt how the joy and the sound of his own laughter must have felt to Anuj after having stopped laughing and being happy for so long. That last moment has all my heart. You are gifted Pompy. Do write more and keep them coming❤️

Originally posted by strancho

Slow burns are  always my favourite 🙈

And you wrote so beautifully next part please ☺️

The pace is perfect. ❤️The small details(paternity leave) touched my heart. MAAya is ❤️

P.S.: Shameless Deviji is still living at KM.😆

Originally posted by MOTHERHOOD

The pace is perfect. ❤️The small details(paternity leave) touched my heart. MAAya is ❤️

P.S.: Shameless Deviji is still living at KM.😆

I seriously don't know what to do with her 🤣

Lovely read! ❤️ I like this Anuj who is willing to move on without Anupama