Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

gia1602 thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

I was the one who started this post. I live in North America and yeah I do clearly get that she is very famous in Hollywood and is raking in a lot money through her various ventures. 

My observation was more related to the quality of work she was doing as an actor in India before she took off for Hollywood. She was doing some amazing roles and pulling off complex characters such as in Barfi and BM. The work she has done so far as an actor is Hollywood is nothing compared to the work she was doing in India. 

And I don't buy that she would have fallen to the periphery in B town because she was getting older. Look at actors like Susmitha Sen and Raveena Tandon who are from an even older generation and have now restarted their careers and are headlining top series. Even look at the work Shefali Shah is doing. and Kareena, Priyanka Chopra's contemporary is still doing well. 

There surely would have been a place for someone as talented as Priyanka. 

I just think there are very few well written roles written for women of colour in Hollywood and I hope Priyanka gets better quality roles than what she has done so far. 

I just feel in order to go to Hollywood, she definitely gave up on some amazing work she would have definitely gotten in India. 

Edited by gia1602 - 1 years ago
TakingAStand2 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5
Originally posted by: gia1602

I was the one who started this post. I live in North America and yeah I do clearly get that she is very famous in Hollywood and is raking in a lot money through her various ventures. 

My observation was more related to the quality of work she was doing as an actor in India before she took off for Hollywood. She was doing some amazing roles and pulling off complex characters such as in Barfi and BM. The work she has done so far as an actor is Hollywood is nothing compared to the work she was doing in India. 

And I don't buy that she would have fallen to the periphery in B town because she was getting older. Look at actors like Susmitha Sen and Raveena Tandon who are from an even older generation and have now restarted their careers and are headlining top series. Even look at the work Shefali Shah is doing. and Kareena, Priyanka Chopra's contemporary is still doing well. 

I just think there are very few well written roles written for women of colour in Hollywood and I hope Priyanka gets better quality roles than what she has done so far. 

I just feel in order to go to Hollywood, she definitely gave up on some amazing work she would have definitely gotten in India. 

I totally get what you mean, but it’s just so hard for PC to get the calibre of roles like Barfi or BM, because 1) look how long it took her in BW to get a Barfi (let’s not forget PC has so many crappy BW to her credit where she hams like every other actress😂)  2) the HW playing field is just that different though to some extent I agree skin color may play a part in her missing out on some roles but not all ( keep in mind HW is now all about diversity and they remade Bridgerton- a romance book series set in regency Britain with equal parts people of color!) 

I think PC recognizes the value of the Indian market ( if not then, atleast now) and the importantance of being visible to Indian audiences for her own businesses abd the growing market for HW movies in multiplexes. Which is why she is doing that movie with Katrina and Alia. I don’t think PC will ever fully stop doing desi movies, but y’a it’ll be fewer and farther in between. 

IAmLuvBolly thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

On a personal level, she met her husband and had her daughter, so I’m sure it has been more than worth it for her.  

On a professional level, it depends on what she really wanted out of Hollywood.  Did she just want to be reasonably famous, venture into different areas in terms of business and income, and make lots and lots of money?  Then yes because she’s doing exactly that.  But if she wanted to be known as a successful movie star, constantly work as an actress, and establish herself as one of Hollywood’s talents, then no. So far it hasn’t been worth it. I doubt anyone even remembers Quantico anymore. She’s primarily known as Nick Jonas’ wife these days. Love Again looks like poor man’s The Lake House. So unless it surprises everyone and becomes a hit then she’ll continue to be in option number 1.  

you2 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: gia1602

After doing a second lead in BM,she got no good roles.Starring with DP is like kiss of death for her female co-stars..Not one of them had a career after that.Even the ones who were top heroines like Bips,Jaqueline Fernandes..After BAH and Race 2 ..it was downhill for them.Chitrangada too after Desi Boyz..Lara after Housefull..

Edited by you2 - 1 years ago
Arshi1195 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 6

On one hand she's a massive star in India, but looking at her age it's not like sexist and ageist directors will be giving her the kinds of roles she wants. She would probably be stuck doing multi-starrers or smaller budget films. 

In Hollywood, she's known more as Nick's wife...but I think she's happier there and the good money doesn't hurt either. 

Supari_khala thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 11 Thumbnail + 7

Yes. She gets to making $$$ selling people jhadoo hair thanks to that fame. 

you2 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: Arshi1195

On one hand she's a massive star in India, but looking at her age it's not like sexist and ageist directors will be giving her the kinds of roles she wants. She would probably be stuck doing multi-starrers or smaller budget films. 

In Hollywood, she's known more as Nick's wife...but I think she's happier there and the good money doesn't hurt either. 

PC was 32 when she did BajiRao Mastani..She could have gotten good lead roles then.Most young heroines today are over 30.Alia will be 30 this year..

rckRadhe thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail IPL 2023 Participants 1 Thumbnail + 5

The move or transition was actually a lot faster than most would assume ... 

And having her daughter just a year in the making was also no easy feat. 👍🏼

Zeal17 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: Supari_khala

Yes. She gets to making $$$ selling people jhadoo hair thanks to that fame. 

Imagine 

https://twitter.com/JackomonYT/status/1608460617857527810?t=M7lcykkcl-oygpyIby_Q2g&s=19

Stone-Cold thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

I just watched the trailer for her new movie. It looks good!