Posted: 10 days ago

Helllooo, all you avid readers and bookworms! smiley31

We know there's nothing more comforting than burying your nose in a good book and forgetting about the real world for a while. 

And the deep, deep sense of  joy and satisfaction that you experience after you've finished one? Incomparable. 

But what's even more satisfying is showing your appreciation by sharing your thoughts with other book lovers and letting them know what you liked/ disliked about a book, quoting passages that touched you or got you screaming and crying or just giggling uncontrollably (without giving away too many spoilers!). Because, let's be real, no book can leave you untouched, right? Even if wasn't exactly what you bargained for?

We're creating this space for you to share your book reviews and recommendations. 

The format given below is a suggestion for posting your reviews/ recommendations to ensure uniformity is maintained and potential readers are able to refer to key points in the review easily. 

Book Title:

Author:

Year published: 

Genre/s:

Tropes (if applicable):

Probable Triggers:

Maturity rating (General audience/ teens/ Adult):

Your personal rating (out of 5):

Synopsis (a short spoiler-free blurb):

Review (What you enjoyed/disliked about the book. Try to keep it as spoiler-free as possible): 

Edited by LizzieBennet - 10 days ago

Book Title: It happened one summer (The Bellinger sisters #1)

Author: Tessa Bailey

Year published: 2021

Genre/s: Romance, romantic comedy, contemporary M/F romance

Tropes (if applicable): Opposites attract (small towner/big city girl, grumpy/ sunshine), Fish out of water, second chance romance (MMC is a widower)

Probable Triggers: Explicit sex scenes 

Maturity rating (General audience/ teens/ Adult): Adult

Rating (out of 5): 4

Synopsis (a short spoiler-free blurb):

Piper Bellinger is a rich, spoilt girl whose selfish, hedonistic existence leads to a night in prison following which she's given an ultimatum by her step-father: He's gonna cut her off & she has to spend 3 months in the small fishing town her bio-dad was from, and try to make something of the bar he's left her. Westport is like nothing Piper has ever experienced, and men like Brendan Taggart even less - hot though he may be, he's still a small townie and a fisherman to boot. The town is also full of memories of her late father whom she never knew. Piper knows Brendan is trouble, and fights her growing feelings for him, given that his job will take him away into the treacherous ocean where she lost her father. She then has to make a choice if she really wants to go back to LA to the glitter and glamour she's used to, or stay in this small, little town that has ensnared her heart in more ways than one.

Review (What you enjoyed/disliked about the book. Try to keep it as spoiler-free as possible): 

The MCs are both very likeable - a rarity for me in romances! Piper is modeled after Schitt's Creek's Alexis Rose (a character I love) and you can see shades of Alexis in Piper - even if they may come across as self-absorbed and superficial, they both have good hearts. They both need a lesson in self-awareness and the town and the relationships they form help them do that. 

Brendan- ahh what do I say about this wonderful man? He's so smitten and wears his heart on his sleeve and will do anything for his girl. What I liked about them both is how quickly they admit their mistakes and see what they did wrong themselves without having any big moment of epiphany. They also don't hold their mistakes over one another. In short, there's no groveling - something that I dislike in romances. smiley36 I also really like the relationship between Piper and Hannah (her younger sister) and look forward to reading the next book in the series which is Hannah and Fox's story. Fox is one of Brendan's crew and is introduced in this book. I also love Hannah's taste in music and her obsession with vinyls which mirrors my own!

I must admit the first couple of chapters made me almost give up on this book, it did not feel like Tessa's usual writing style. But once the action picks up in Westport, it really gets going. 

I also hear this book has gotten a movie deal which has me excited & hope they pick actors with good chemistry to play Piper and Brendan. 

Spoiler: 'Recharging station' is my new favorite term! 

Edited by LizzieBennet - 10 days ago

Originally posted by LizzieBennet

Tropes (if applicable): Opposites attract (small towner/big city girl, grumpy/ sunshine), Fish out of water, second chance romance (MMC is a widower)

Piper Bellinger is a rich, spoilt girl whose selfish, hedonistic existence leads to a night in prison following which she's given an ultimatum by her step-father: He's gonna cut her off & she has to spend 3 months in the small fishing town her bio-dad was from, and try to make something of the bar he's left her. Westport is like nothing Piper has ever experienced, and men like Brendan Taggart even less - hot though he may be, he's still a small townie and a fisherman to boot. The town is also full of memories of her late father whom she never knew. Piper knows Brendan is trouble, and fights her growing feelings for him, given that his job will take him away into the treacherous ocean where she lost her father. She then has to make a choice if she really wants to go back to LA to the glitter and glamour she's used to, or stay in this small, little town that has ensnared her heart in more ways than one.

Review (What you enjoyed/disliked about the book. Try to keep it as spoiler-free as possible): 

The MCs are both very likeable - a rarity for me in romances! Piper is modeled after Schitt's Creek's Alexis Rose (a character I love) and you can see shades of Alexis in Piper - even if they may come across as self-absorbed and superficial, they both have good hearts. They both need a lesson in self-awareness and the town and the relationships they form help them do that. 

Brendan- ahh what do I say about this wonderful man? He's so smitten and wears his heart on his sleeve and will do anything for his girl. What I liked about them both is how quickly they admit their mistakes and see what they did wrong themselves without having any big moment of epiphany. They also don't hold their mistakes over one another. In short, there's no groveling - something that I dislike in romances. smiley36 I also really like the relationship between Piper and Hannah (her younger sister) and look forward to reading the next book in the series which is Hannah and Fox's story. Fox is one of Brendan's crew and is introduced in this book. I also love Hannah's taste in music and her obsession with vinyls which mirrors my own!

I must admit the first couple of chapters made me almost give up on this book, it did not feel like Tessa's usual writing style. But once the action picks up in Westport, it really gets going. 

I also hear this book has gotten a movie deal which has me excited & hope they pick actors with good chemistry to play Piper and Brendan. 

Very interesting, will try to catch up with this one!smiley4Thank you for sharing!

Posted: 9 days ago

Can you inform me in advance when this movie is gonna release...so I can read it before watching the movie.smiley9

Posted: 9 days ago

Originally posted by la_Reine

Can you inform me in advance when this movie is gonna release...so I can read it before watching the movie.smiley9

I have no idea, I hear its in pre-production but there's been no news of the casting yet so I guess it will be long time coming. 

Posted: 8 days ago

I have no idea, I hear its in pre-production but there's been no news of the casting yet so I guess it will be long time coming. 

i know, but jab bhi pata chale, dont forget to inform mesmiley36 You can go a step further by asking me everyday "Have you started reading yet?"smiley37

Posted: 6 days ago

Book Title: Sleeping Murder

Author: Agatha Christie

Year Published: 1976

Genre: Mystery/ Suspense 

Maturity Rating: Teen

Book Rating (out of 5): 3

Synopsis: Newly married Gwenda Reed arrives in England from New Zealand to look for a house to settle down in, she's charged with the task since her husband, Giles travels a lot but they've decided to settle in England. She finally finds the perfect place in Dillmouth called Hillside and begins to renovate it. During the renovation she's struck by a sense of deja vu and has visions that unnerve her. To escape, she takes up an invitation to London to visit her husband's cousin, Raymond West, who also happens to be Miss Marple's nephew. While watching a play, The Duchess of Malfi, Gwenda hears a piece of dialogue and screams aloud, rushing out of the theatre. It's then that it becomes clear that she had been witness to a crime that occurred 18 years ago when she was a mere child.

Giles and Gwenda then begin to dig up the details, trying to find the people who may have known the victim. Gwenda faces her past too in the process. And of course they clear up the mystery with Miss Marple's help!

Review:

I'd read this book ages ago and didn't remember much of it, except a vague resemblance to another famous book, Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. After this re-read I sort of understand why my mind made that connection - it's probably the fact that the house plays such an important role in both books: Manderley and Hillside. A lot of the mystery is woven around the house, but apart from that there's really nothing the books have in common.

This one is Miss Marple's last book and was published posthumously, though Christie wrote the first draft during WW2. 

It's typical Christie but its lesser of a whodunit than I thought it would be. Probably because half-way through the book, I remembered details and knew who had done it. smiley36 But that did give me a chance to pay more attention to the writing - some punctuation conventions AC uses seem archaic now such as the use of a colon before quotes! Also the deliberate misdirection - I noted every detail and I was like Aha! I see what you're doing, Agatha! smiley36 I think Christies lose their mystique on re-reading and hence the lower rating, but I absolutely would rate this book higher if I were reading for the first time. It has all the makings of a classic Christie, but again, its far too reminiscent of Five little Pigs (another murder in retrospect), and not nearly enough potential suspects as I might have liked! smiley36 I did admire the clues she drops all through the book and how in the end, it should have been evident all along. She has that  how-could-i-not-have-seen-this-before-slap-your-forehead-in-self-reproach moment in some of the books and in others its oh-my-god-i-never-would-have-guessed-this-how-ingenious! smiley10

Edited by LizzieBennet - 6 days ago
Posted: 5 days ago

Well looks like I have a lot to catch up! smiley30smiley9

Aata hoon. 

Also- may or may not start a new AC. Kuch fix nahi hai.

Btaungi haan.