Users

Frequent Posters

Maroonporsche thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

unsophisticated is harsh 

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4

Well, basically it's probably because of lack of education and the cherished patriarchy...something that takes time to get changed...

"unsophisticated" hasn't only a negative connotation...it can also mean simple in tastes or genuine or sincere or uncomplicated...all this isn't negative per se, I think

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

He's right or was right...

Indian movies in general and BW movies in particular for the most part - up until the last century at least - were nothing but screen version of nautanki (by that I mean the street shows performed in the olden days with simpke story lines and exaggeration cz they had no props like speaker, lighting etc) anyway

As someone said India is a country living in various centuries at the same time

So they have to cater to everybody's needs esp the masses who are the repeat audience anyway

And BW always lacked originality and creativity.., In their defense they produce movies and songs in larger numbers like factories, it's more like production not creation 

Edited by BettyA1 - 1 years ago
TotalBetty thumbnail

Nargis criticized him for "peddling India's poverty" through his movies

Is that why his Appu triology is loved so much in the wesr cz that's how westerners love to see India...

I watched Pather Panchali once and I didn't  'get' it at all... was in early teens then maybe I should watch it again

Loved his 'Shatranj ke Khiladi' though...

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: BettyA1

Nargis criticized him for "peddling India's poverty" through his movies

Is that why his Appu triology is loved so much in the wesr cz that's how westerners love to see India...

I watched Pather Panchali once and I didn't  'get' it at all... was in early teens then maybe I should watch it again

Loved his 'Shatranj ke Khiladi' though...

All the west wants is the poverty movies tho.

TotalBetty thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maroonporsche

All the west wants is the poverty movies tho.

But now they like RRR too

atominis thumbnail

Not true. Given the kind of shitty, chippad films and serials that work, I do agree when he says Indian audience is unsophisticated.

Not just Indian but whole South Asian audience is as he described

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: atominis

Not true. Given the kind of shitty, chippad films and serials that work, I do agree when he says Indian audience is unsophisticated.

Not just Indian but whole South Asian audience is as he described

Well I feel his holy ness is just insulting people who didnt watch his films 

atominis thumbnail

Funny that Nargis accused him of selling poverty while she herself did Mother India which is her most iconic film.

Has she not played poor villager or street kid roles? Her Raj Kapoor was also mostly playing poor guy roles.

Anyway, I do agree Indian audience likes mostly commercial drama or fluffy stuff, masala, candy floss and lacks understanding of finer nuances of craft, technical finesse, story telling.

Even likes of Ramanand Sagar and BR Chopra received threat letters from over zealous lot threatening them against showing controversial portions like cheerharan of Draupadi or banishment of Sita and her agnipariksha - way before episodes went on air. So Ray's comments on lack of creative freedom and Indians always ready to take offense are also true.