The Evolution Of TV serials and their Portrayal of ‘Indian Values’ - Page 5

Posted: 1 years ago
Originally posted by SilverBell

No Indian Tv Serials Today Only Focus On Showing Two Sisters Fighting For A Guy And Getting Married To Him Many Times

Because That's What The Indian Viewers Seem To Love

Shows Like Kumkum Kundali Bhagya Drag On For Years To Come With No End In Sight

Why?

Because The Indian Viewers Love Them

😔

This kinda thing actually doesn’t happen in reality  that often lol coz divorce procedures takes time.. there’s actually a time period lol also the scenarios that we see in ITV are way to far fetched like for example, a woman harbouring weird obsessive romantic feelings for a man whom she met at a business retreat of two days for what feels like forever 🤪 is also an exception. ITV runs on larger than life drama with lots of weird dramatic background music lol people only watch it coz they’re just bored lol and everyone just wants some juicy and big-reveals dramas lol 

Originally posted by BrhannadaArmour

You're referring to Mehandī Hai Racanevālī, and "promising" is a too generous description for a show that squandered its potential by constantly redefining every character and relationship. Yes, the first husband Mandar was declared dead and came back alive in a plot awash with coincidences, contradictions, and forgotten clues.

I only noticed Mehandī Hai Racanevālī because the actor playing Mandar was Ashok Phal Dessai, who was phenomenal as the lead on Jīva Zhālā Yeḍāpisā. As the man whom the female lead had chosen to marry after four months of courtship, in contrast to the male lead who falsely bragged that she was in sex photos with him and forced her to marry him after terrorizing her for three months, and as the beloved son/brother of seven of the supporting characters whose lives were ruined by the male lead, Mandar's return should have been dramatic, with him feeling disillusioned by his family's tragedies and the female lead feeling genuinely tempted by him and his family. Instead, it was a flop: the male lead chased Mandar with a gun, they played tug-of-war with the female lead's arms, and the family fought about who owned the female lead.

https://www.indiaforums.com/fanfiction/1763

I found the loose ends and poor characterization of Mandar's story so frustrating that I wrote a fan fiction to fix it all.

the entire narrative seems horrible 

Just a general opinion and not related to this 👆🏽particular show:

Sometimes what happens is that the audience starts to like the parallel lead more than the Male lead, so in order to shift the focus back to the solo lead, the makers divert/change the original storyline thereby destroying the creativity! It’s all politics.

I will read the fan fiction later in the day! Thanks for sharing! 👍🏼😳

Edited by NayaNehaD31 - 1 years ago

Originally posted by NayaNehaD31

This kinda thing actually doesn’t happen in reality  that often lol coz divorce procedures takes time.. there’s actually a time period lol also the scenarios that we see in ITV are way to far fetched like for example, a woman harbouring weird obsessive romantic feelings for a man whom she met at a business retreat of two days for what feels like forever 🤪 is also an exception. ITV runs on larger than life drama with lots of weird dramatic background music lol people only watch it coz they’re just bored lol and everyone just wants some juicy and big-reveals dramas lol 

Indian TV serials are regressive because the most successful producer on TV feels she has no responsibility towards society. All she cares about is TRP ratings.

An article from some social media ---

There is a serial called Yeh Hai Mohabbatein which airs on Star Plus. 

Ekta Kapoor is the producer of the serial.

The female lead of this show is shown infertile. Her name is Ishita.

After some chain of events, Ishita killed her stepson who was going to throw acid on a girl's face.

As usual the serial is running since a long time without any proper story and script. So now they decided to take a leap to get better TRP ratings.

When this serial began, they tried to show how some people in society look down upon infertile women.

Now after the leap Ishita's husband, Raman Bhalla, who once stood by her when others called her baanjh (sterile), is himself calling her baanjh and saying that she is not fit to be a woman and should remain baanjh in every life. 

He is angry because she killed his son.

Now even the most loyal fans of this serial (yes, they exist) got pissed off by the scene and started trending #endYHM (i.e. end Yeh Hai Mohabbatein) on Twitter.

And that's how I came to know about this.

Because this is what Ekta Kapoor tweeted in reply to those tweets.

“For once I'll say it, my friends! Instead of hash tagging #endYHM stop watching it! All stories will not go as you wish as an audience! I love my TV audience, I value your opinion but our creatives work with ratings and TV norms! This is for all show fan groups! Love and respect always.”

She is the most successful producer on Indian TV! 

Originally posted by Viswasruti

Indian TV serials are regressive because the most successful producer on TV feels she has no responsibility towards society. All she cares about is TRP ratings.

After some chain of events, Ishita killed her stepson who was going to throw acid on a girl's face.

As usual the serial is running since a long time without any proper story and script. So now they decided to take a leap to get better TRP ratings.

When this serial began, they tried to show how some people in society look down upon infertile women.

Now after the leap Ishita's husband, Raman Bhalla, who once stood by her when others called her baanjh (sterile), is himself calling her baanjh and saying that she is not fit to be a woman and should remain baanjh in every life. 

Now even the most loyal fans of this serial (yes, they exist) got pissed off by the scene and started trending #endYHM (i.e. end Yeh Hai Mohabbatein) on Twitter.

“For once I'll say it, my friends! Instead of hash tagging #endYHM stop watching it! All stories will not go as you wish as an audience! I love my TV audience, I value your opinion but our creatives work with ratings and TV norms! This is for all show fan groups! Love and respect always.”

Yes this one is hysterical  🤪 Almost all the shows———-- next level 🤪 i have no words to describe the absurdity 

What is wrong with Indian TV serials ? 

Media survey revealed that these are the main reasons! 

1. Reallity & logic

It's awful for Indian TV industry that their content is extremely regressive!

2 . They lack of creativity and a fresh script! 

This is one of the most popular shows of Star Plus ! And the whole episode of that day was on just this story.

One mother-in-law gave her daughter-in-law a saree on Diwali . She didn't like that Saree at all and was making faces ….. She liked the saree given to other daughter-in-law of her own home .then she went to kitchen and due to jealousy put lots of salt in the sweet kheer made by that other daughter-in-law

I was like what ? ? ? Who does so ? Yupp this was only the story of that episode in whole 30 min .

How can we even expect them to grow as actors with such rotten scripts?

3 . Concept of Illogical Vamps

Two women fighting for one man ! They take more than 1 year to decide who is the wife of that man ! The decision is still pending …🤪

The own sister who was lost for last 25 years now came to her and wants to take her husband!

The worst thing ever as per me - portraying the own family members as Vamp ! Especially the Mother in law and an evil daughter-in-law !

Saas - bahu : don't you think this is just creating a hype of nonsense among such beautiful relationship , which can be like a mother and daughter !

Just living in home and cooking can give hundreds of scripts to our television industry?? 

4 . The reality shows -

I don't think most of them are really real ! And just the same sad stories continue for months. Even if something is real then also giving the whole focus on her story not on her singing …

The cross dressers and body-shaming in the name of Comedy …

Producing comedy on someone being less beautiful and fat, isn't it body-shaming ?

5 . Look at these pictures once

These are few scenes of a popular serial , and the girl in this as a lead is just 15 years !

The intimate scenes that too ok if its some teen romance shows but .

Portraying as an ideal bahu ideal wife and a mother of one baby , with sindoor and mangalsootra , to a child not even 18 + Is there lack of girls in TV for this role ?

6 . Again the assassination of Reality

Edited by Viswasruti - 1 years ago

What is wrong with Indian TV serials ? 

Media survey revealed that these are the main reasons! 

1. Reallity & logic

It's awful for Indian TV industry that their content is extremely regressive!

2 . They lack of creativity and a fresh script! 

This is one of the most popular shows of Star Plus ! And the whole episode of that day was on just this story.

One mother-in-law gave her daughter-in-law a saree on Diwali . She didn't like that Saree at all and was making faces ….. She liked the saree given to other daughter-in-law of her own home .then she went to kitchen and due to jealousy put lots of salt in the sweet kheer made by that other daughter-in-law

I was like what ? ? ? Who does so ? Yupp this was only the story of that episode in whole 30 min .

How can we even expect them to grow as actors with such rotten scripts?

3 . Concept of Illogical Vamps

Two women fighting for one man ! They take more than 1 year to decide who is the wife of that man ! The decision is still pending …🤪

The own sister who was lost for last 25 years now came to her and wants to take her husband!

The worst thing ever as per me - portraying the own family members as Vamp ! Especially the Mother in law and an evil daughter-in-law !

Saas - bahu : don't you think this is just creating a hype of nonsense among such beautiful relationship , which can be like a mother and daughter !

Just living in home and cooking can give hundreds of scripts to our television industry?? 

4 . The reality shows -

I don't think most of them are really real ! And just the same sad stories continue for months. Even if something is real then also giving the whole focus on her story not on her singing …

The cross dressers and body-shaming in the name of Comedy …

Producing comedy on someone being less beautiful and fat, isn't it body-shaming ?

5 . Look at these pictures once

These are few scenes of a popular serial , and the girl in this as a lead is just 15 years !

The intimate scenes that too ok if its some teen romance shows but .

Portraying as an ideal bahu ideal wife and a mother of one baby , with sindoor and mangalsootra , to a child not even 18 + Is there lack of girls in TV for this role ?

6 . Again the assassination of Reality

Lol i have read this before lol—- what a review loved it.. thanks for sharing! 🤗

the first one was so controversial on so many levels ! 

also this review missed the hysterical scene where a woman accidentally choked herself after she got slapped by another woman lol 🤣🤣🤣🤣 next level—-

Here’s another one lol and it’s a recent one lol— a watermelon baby lol🤪 
The list goes on and on lol

Originally posted by NayaNehaD31

Haha That's True This Never Happens In Real Life

Only In Tv Serials.

@ blue

This line sums it all.

Unfortunately, audience like to see the females of the show being called names and degraded.

I think the only way to overcome this will be to have 100-150 episodes max, as it will then have a beginning, middle and end to it.

The reason those 80's-90's serials were considered as good and today's ones are relative crap essentially boils down to three things.

1) TV was predominantly an upper and upper middle class phenomenon in the 80's and 90's; but that bunch really doesn't watch ITV these days.

2) So, ITV today caters to the lowest common denominator, and making it even worse is the TRP system, which is super flawed in the way the rankings are calculated. I don't think anyone of us here know even one person whose house the TRP meters are installed. In Mumbai, one meter essentially speaks for the viewing habits of 10k folks. 🤡

3) ITV shows today run for 5-6 days a week, and in some cases, all seven days too! 🤪  If you're strictly sticking to logical content, there's only so much you can show in such a scenario before folks get bored. So writers go to the illogical, negative route to keep the drama quotient high (jail/hospital/kidnapping/court- see Anil Nagpal for Ekta's KKB/KDB/BL shows as an example)

Edited by aekiel - 1 years ago

Originally posted by Srijeeta06

@ blue

This line sums it all.

Unfortunately, audience like to see the females of the show being called names and degraded.

I think the only way to overcome this will be to have 100-150 episodes max, as it will then have a beginning, middle and end to it.

Well said. ❤️ The narrative should come to a logical conclusion at the appropriate point.

The production house's reputation is damaged by stretching out the shows with pointless dramas.

To keep their viewership intact, they began introducing multi-stage marriages and further SR postponements, with these pointless prolongation to make the show more fascinating. 

India’s first television drama was Hum Log (Hindi) which aired in 1984-85 and concluded with 154 episodes. 

Some of the popular longest running serials with episodes more than 1000 episodes were Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi (Hindi), Char Divas Sasuche (Marathi), Abhishekam (Telugu). Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah (Hindi) (2008- to present) is the longest-running TV show in India. These dramas or serials deal with issues in families due to a patriarchal ideology. 

A 2007 study on cable channels showed that the dramas decreased the acceptability of domestic violence toward women and the preference for a male child over a daughter. With the increased participation of women in household decision-making, we have a long way to go to embed an ethical conscience in people through Indian TV serials.

Many viewers argue that Indian TV serials are too long, pathetic and worse and have a meaningless ending to character and story arcs.