Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 1 years ago

Birdie, I agree that SOME "knowledge is inferential" ... it depends (like so many things/experiences).

I still bet that Karan isn't "widely admired" (which doesn't lessen the power he has in the Hindi filmindustry). I think, there was a time when he was admired but (imo) he destroyed this image through his powerplays and also through his KWK-clangers.

Basically, what is he? A (still closeted) gay filmmaker with two kids through surrogacy, a loooot of connections and certain aspirations...with a production house that wants to be as prominent as YRF and a production departement that he's built as a "talent pool".

I respect Karan for his work but in no way for his shenanigans.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: blue-ice.1

'Our country is homophobic' says Ayushmann Khurrana as he talks about the failure of his previous three films

Ayushmann Khurrana is one of the actors from Bollywood that are capable enough to keep the audience interested in the movie just by their presence. The film fraternity almost always has high expectations from his releases.

However, in the previous two years, Ayushmann Khurrana has appeared in three major releases and all three of them failed to make a mark at the box office. Ayushmann even speaks about the failure of his romantic comedy film ‘ Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui ’ (2021) and names the reason for its disappointing performance to the ‘country’ by calling it ‘homophobic’. Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui only managed to earn a little over ₹40 crores from its worldwide box office collections.

In a recent discussion Ayushmann spoke about his previous and what led to their failure, “In fact, my last three films, including an LGBTQ film (Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui), really don’t do well commercially because, unfortunately, our country is homophobic. Then there was Anek, a docudrama that was a very niche in terms of the tone of the film. Doctor G was an A-rated film, and given the kind of certification it got, the film did decently well in theatres. For a while, that was my learning for making a film.”

He further added, “If I stop taking risks, I will be conventional. I have always been unconventional, and I make those choices. I will be taking them in the future as well, regardless of success or failure".

Ayushmann is planning to treat his one more time before we move on from this year. His upcoming film ‘ An Action Hero’, which is directed by Anirudh Iyer, who has previously worked as an assistant to the director Anand L Rai on his films ‘Tanu Weds Manu Returns’ (2015) and ‘Zero’ (2018).

The film’s script is written by Neeraj Yadav, and it will also feature actor Jaideep Ahlawat alongside Ayushmann Khurrana. Malaika Arora is also going to feature with her dance number and Akshay Kumar will also make a special appearance in the movie.

https://mirchi.in/stories/celebrity/our-country-is-homophobic-says-ayushmann-khurrana-as-he-talks-about-the-failure-of-his-previous-three-films/95581215

He needs to go make better movies

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Blame the public for your incompetence, huh

That's what 'Bros' creator did too, when his gay rom com failed miserably at BO, he blamed the viewers' homophobia

And HW used to make fun of gays too, for decades actually,  BW started it in the 21st century maybe

Edited by BettyA1 - 1 years ago
Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Maroonporsche

He needs to go make better movies

I wouldn't say better but others...he somehow typecasts himself, I feel.

TotalBetty thumbnail

Ayush Khurr doesn't need to lose heart

There are many such stories to tell

Like the transgender teen who beat many biological females to win a local Miss America pageant 

The trans athlete who was 72nd in male swimming competition, but finished 1st in female swimming, after transitioning 

There are many inspiring stories to tell

Am sure audience will come around

theBoyWonder thumbnail
Easter Egg Contest Winner (2023) 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 6 Thumbnail + 4

why was a cis woman playing a trans woman? why did they not cast a trans woman for that role. was that the makers and ayushman being transphobic?

Edited by theBoyWonder - 1 years ago
diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

This is not true.

There is a trend these days to claim India has always been this virtuous and accepting country until *wink, wink* the *others* arrived. If such talk is to be believed, India was woker than woke back in the Iron Age. Feminism, wide acceptance of LGBTQ etc. 

Dharmshastra acknowledged existence of homosexuality.

EXISTENCE is different from ACCEPTANCE.

Dharmashastra also fined homosexuality.

Manu Smriti considered homosexuality a pollution and has recommended penance.

Arthashastra fined only certain types of homosexuality. But it also recommended fining some types of heterosexuality, so Chanakya was an equal opportunity finer. 

Mahabharata has Shikhandi treated miserably because of sex/gender. To the point that the homophobe Bheeshma refused to admit it was Shikhandi who defeated him, not Arjuna, but Mahabharata itself has the likes of Krishna and Satyaki admitting Shikhandi killed Bheeshma. Not become a reason. Actively killed. Shikhandi felled Bheeshma, without which act Pandavas would not have won. And what's his place in history? To begin with, he was robbed of his birthright as heir, chased out of home, mocked as a woman. He continues to be mocked to this day. 

Arjun was cursed to be trans woman, key word is cursed. Ie, it was considered a curse. 

Homophobia has existed in India from ancient times just as it existed in the rest of the world. 

These are good points. But I still think it's a bit of a grey area. And relatively, ancient India (or rather Hinduism in general) still has been a lot more inclusive and diverse, than other cultures, where even the 'existence' of alternate sexuality is challenged.

If that wasn't the case, then there wouldn't have been age-old temples in India with Transgender or gender-fluid gods OR things like Kamasutra where same-sex relations are recognized.

Shiva's Ardhnareshwar form is good example of gender-fluid deity.

Shikhandi is complicated. Within the Mahabharat story, he/she is ill-treated, but that is supposed to be an analogy of struggles faced by the community in modern society.

But for readers of the epic, Shikhandi's role in Pandava's victory is TOTALLY acknowledged.

I am not trying make a political point of centuries old 'laws' and customs, but it is a bit of stretch to label

whole of ancient India as "homophobic".  Things are not so black and white.

diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Strictly my opinion but, Rajkumar Rao's Badhai Do was a FAR better film than Ayushman's Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui and Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan.

Yet it failed, but I don't see Rajkumar Rao cribbing out it.

I liked Vaani in CKA but the film became a mess in the 2nd half. SMZS was mess throughout.

Ayushman should just focus on his craft, rather than playing the blame game.

Yes, India has a long way to go but making statements like these don't help anyone's case.

TotalBetty thumbnail

Originally posted by: theBoyWonder

why was a cis woman playing a trans woman? why did they not cast a trans woman for that role. was that the makers and ayushman being transphobic?

That's a good point

Come to think of it, there are no trans actors in BW 

Are there any openly gay/lesbian actors in BW? 

rckRadhe thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail IPL 2023 Participants 1 Thumbnail + 5

AK has to be REALISTIC on what the Indian public would accept AT THE MOVIES.

A good BOX OFFICE is a bit of luck too. 👍🏼