Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 1 years ago

Well, it will neither help his career nor help changing minds...and the wording is rather unfortunate (to blame a "country")...it always are people who are this or that but never a whole country.

I agree that the victorian influence had changed the not-so-negative regard on queer people that existed before the colonisation (imo).

As for Ayushman's movies...there is a strange repetitive moralistic kind of feeling I got with his performances (except Andhadhun)...but that may be just a personal perception...

VimalPanMasala thumbnail
Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

India is homophobic.

But that's not why Ayushman's last 3 films failed. He can't keep doing the same shtick. 

I don't agree actually. CKA had the best chance of success but most of Ayushman's normal audience didn't go see the movie, which is why he is criticizing his audience. Anek had no hype, and the DR movie was too niche a subject and was hurt by his other 2 flops. 

S_H_Y thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Cka released very close to post pandemic 

It's a light hearted movie but doesn't have good comedy, the main character played by ayushman is unlikeable.

It is about trans but doens't really delve into detail just brush it from outside 

Songs are not that good, too much mess with loud side Punjabi characters.

Also another movie where a monologue or in this case monlogue plus Google search changes the whole world view of main character (same thing was in Ek ladki Sonam LGBT movie), which is just meh.

That said india much like world is discriminating against LGBT 

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: Taiz-Ladki

Same shit?

He is the one who chose most diverse scripts.

I didn't use that word. You did. 

I try not to use foul language, esp not for silly things like an actor who doesn't know me.

As for the topic... I think you'll find a majority disagrees with your assessment. I like the guy and hope he's successful, but Ayushman is as stuck in character as SRK is/was.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 1 years ago
Clochette thumbnail

Ayushmann is one of those actors I would like to succeed with every movie he's doing....but that's beyond my power as ONE member of the audience...

Daebak thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Yes, India is homophobic.

Yes, your recent films have been crap.

BirdieNumNum thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

i like Ayushman but i think he is wrong on Indians being homophobic. Indians might make fun of gays but it is in the same manner they make fun of biharis, punjabis, madrasis etc... - light-hearted banter that at its worst is not very tasteful but that's it. Beyond that, there is no real prejudice or dislike against gays. Prime example is KJO who inspite of his sexual proclivities is widely admired and successful. Contrast that with the ME where one would get flogged for being gay... or the west where one can get kicked out of jobs like the military for being gay and where gays are targeted by religious bigots.

Edited by BirdieNumNum - 1 years ago
Clochette thumbnail

Karan Johar is "widely admired"... I doubt that!

And openly being gay ...well, I think, you've no experience with that...

Edited by Clochette - 1 years ago
BirdieNumNum thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Clochette

Karan Johar is "widely admired"... I doubt that!

And openly being gay ...well, I think, you've no experience with that...

some knowledge is inferential. You don't have to experience it yourself to know... eg, you dont actually have to sit on the fire to know that you can burn your arse doing that, do you?๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜†

and ya, KJO is widely admired. Take BW for example. Most actors and actresses, even of the stature of SRK, try to buddy up to him. Like him or hate him, he's admired for his ability to make stars out of stardust๐Ÿ˜Ž

NautankiSaali17 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Easter Egg Contest Winner (2023) 0 Thumbnail + 7

^^ I wouldnt say KJo is widely admired. People are respectful to him purely bcoz of his status and power in the industry irrespective of his sexuality which is honestly nobody's business. 

On Topic: He is partially right, people in India and all over the world are still homophobic and transphobic to a large extent. 

Also that being said, this is not why his last 3 films failed. He tried to repeat the same formula with each movie and now the audience is bored. Thats what happened. His movies like Bala and Shubh mangal zyada savdhaan were also good subjects but failed to leave a mark coz the movie didnt hold up well. I have seen CKA and I found it very loosely handled for such a delicate topic. There were lot of unnecessary loud side characters which diluted the story many times. The whole turning point and change in his character was poorly developed. So, I blame the director and scriptwriter for that mess.

I havent seen Anek or Doctor G so cant comment on those but I know few of my friends who watched Doctor G and they said it was actually a well made movie but sadly failed. 

Edited by NautankiSaali17 - 1 years ago