Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 1 years ago

I’m not looking for melodrama or theatrics …again you are mentioning slbs style is different to manis ….the style is not the issue here ….let’s make that clear ….

The technique is an issue …..lack of setting up characters and their dynamics on film …..and lack of emotional connect with the characters… ….I dare say the technique was also lacking with the way action sequences were shot (amateurish)….I used bajiro as an example to show that the film had put major scenes at the right places , appropriately building up to it …here the major scenes are scattered without any proper lead up to it to make it exciting …drama needs build up….

screenplay writing is stringing scenes in a sequence that makes sense, is interesting and hits the highs at the right time ….the adapted screenplay for ps1 was haphazard

You keep delving into extrapolations and explanations for the characters that are sourced from the book ….that’s all well and good but as a film which is meant to work as it’s own entity (ie for ppl who did not read the book), it didn’t invest the time or gravitas needed to establish characters….it didn’t go into these dynamics 

And it is presumed one had knowledge from the book (which very few ppl outside Tamil Nadu have read) …

u could argue they didn’t invest time in characters because of screen time limitation but that’s exactly why this fits the format of a web series not a film ….again if time is the issue, I’m sure we could have done away with a few of those unnecessary comedy track/ chase sequences/ song sequences and instead had some more of the crucial scenes ….

There’s lots of things that didn’t quite workout with the film…especially for those who didn’t read the book/aren’t from the region 

Edited by pathaka - 1 years ago
1t1svat1t1s thumbnail
Originally posted by: subhs

KGF 1 had a great openings 10cr+ tough competition to zero.

PS1 opened to 2cr with similar scale release . PS1 is a reginional hit not PAN India hit like KGF , RRR or even Pushpa

Pushpa is hit in north and average to flop in the Telugu speaking states.

myviewprem thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: capricornrcks

SLB thrives on melodrama and relishes theatrical confrontations between his principals.That's just his style. Just look at the Paro-Chandramukhi confrontation and dancing together in Dola re. I don't believe the older version or the book had that. It would have been inconceivable for Paro to come to a brothel. Just like Alia's music tuition at a brothel in Kalank.  If SLB was to do PS-1 everyone will be as volatile and emotional as Aditya Karikalan.Mani simply did something different which is equally good.

Bajirao came from a community practicing monogamy. So Kasi had some justification for her resentment. Also she's the legitimate wife and can get away with a lot. In PS-1 Aish's husband is a vassal king and courtier and hence Nandini is subservient to Kundavai, the Emperor's daughter. At the same time Kundavai, the consummate politician knows that she can't treat Nandini with the same disrespect and contrempt as before. Even in the book they are merely described as trading poisonous barbs and compared to dancing like two cobras. And Nandini (at least post the murder) never loses her temper and is meant to be a contrast to her volatile lover Aditya Karikalan. Especially in the last book.

I'd have loved a web-series too .One which takes a lot of time to explore the characters more. But OTT is still making inroads in India. Films are still the preferred option to get the story to maximum number of audience. I rather doubt they'd have minted as much money out of OTT. And all these stars wouldn't have agreed to act in a series either. Not only because of the prestige of films but also the dates.Mani , the cast and crew were fully aware that they're making a would-be-classic which will forever be etched in Tamil cinema history. They wanted to be the first and set a standard. In a few years time someone else will make it on OTT. Maybe a better version maybe not.I rather pity the poor actor they'll choose in Aish's place. The constant comparisons...

Nandini (means ash hubby) was not a vassal king. Hes treasurer of cholas like munishi is to landlord or finance minister in modern times. Hes not at all a king or royal. Like Raja Birbal or Raja todarmal both are not royal or kings. Same way nandini husband is not a real king or royal. 

Not sure why kundavai hates nandini. But nandini hates cholas may be because shes not allowed to marry aditya karikalan as shes also not a royal 

ElMystique thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Lord_Voldemort

Agree with most of your points but I don’t understand how Bahubali is an original story and why we should cut some slack? (I actually enjoyed Bahubali 2 btw). It had enough references from Ponniyin Selvan and Lion King. It should be treated like any other film IMO.

Well! All historical stories have more or less similar story lines. War and revenge are two key aspects. I meant Baahubali 2 actually. The difference is for  PS-1 the book sort of provides an insight into the aesthetics of the era. Whereas in case of Baahubali (both 1 and 2) every detail from set, characters, subjects, arms, war equipment and for that matter jwellery was thought out in detail. If you observe the jwellery was pretty rudimentary with basic geometric shapes. So were the weapons, the war equipment and warfare was planned in a unique way. If you look at the chariot of Bhallaladeva or other aspects such as the equipment Amarendra designs for fetching water. Most importantly, they have developed an entire language the Khiliki. I am sure there are inspirations from historic books but a lot of thought process also went into it. 

The songs were made to give a fairy tale feel to the audience and every frame spoke of royalty at its best. It was not just the sets but the effort to complement everything was totally worth it IMO. 

Mugda thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Home

• HOME
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • TV
  • ROOMS
  • LIFESTYLE
  • FASHION
  • KOREAN
  • TECH
  • MORE

Home

> Entertainment

> Box Office

> 

Box Office: Mani Ratnam's Ponniyin Selvan (Hindi) jumps by astonishing 100 percent on 2nd Saturday

Ponniyin Selvan is a success story in Hindi while it is a gigantic blockbuster in Tamil language.

Advertisement

By Rishil Jogani  Mumbai Updated on Oct 10, 2022 02:15 PM IST 1.3M reads

Mani Ratnam, Chiyaan Vikram

Ponniyin Selvan trends very well in Hindi, after slow start.

Mani Ratnam's Ponniyin Selvan, based on Kalki's novel of the same name, is a periodical epic film which boasts of an ensemble cast of Karthi, Chiyaan Vikram, Trisha Krishnan, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Jayam Ravi. The film opened to excellent figures in the southern states while it opened fairly for its Hindi version. The film mustered an opening of around Rs. 1.85 crore nett on its first day in Hindi, which isn't too bad given that the film lacked face value to drive the film in the north and that it was solely dependent on scale and execution.

The film rallied well over the weekend with good, healthy growth on Saturday and Sunday. The film dropped only by 30 percent on Monday when compared to Friday and then grew on the day before Dussehra and the Dussehra day. It held its ground, braved new releases and is now again on a hot run. Ponniyin Selvan (Hindi) added another Rs. 1.50 crore on Day 9 and that takes its tally to Rs. 16.50 crore. The lifetime total looks to edge past the Rs. 25 crore mark. The efficient filmmaking of Mani Ratnam has ensured table profits for the makers, before the release of the second part. Simultaneously shooting for both part 1 and 2 shows the director's clarity of thought and vision.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Advertisement

The Day wise Hindi nett collections of Ponniyin Selvan are as follows:-

Ponniyin Selvan (Hindi)

Day 1 - Rs. 1.85 crore
Day 2 - Rs. 2.50 crore
Day 3 - Rs. 3.25 crore
Day 4 - Rs. 1.40 crore
Day 5 - Rs. 1.75 crore
Day 6 - Rs. 2.50 crore
Day 7 - Rs. 1 crore
Day 8 - Rs. 75 lakh
Day 9 - Rs. 1.50 crore
Total: Rs. Rs. 16.50 crore

Ponniyin Selvan is doing terrific business in its Tamil language and is trending phenomenally too. The film is set to breach Rs. 225 crore gross in the Tamil states, in its lifetime run, to becoming the highest grossing film in Tamil Nadu for the Tamil Language. The overseas business has been excellent and based on the collections and trend, it will do in excess of 15 million dollars.

Edited by Mugda - 1 years ago
Lord_Voldemort thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 9

Err, many non-readers watched the film and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not everyone went in expecting a Rajamouli/Bhansali film (thankfully)

To cite an example:

https://twitter.com/Maanvi2501/status/1579901247653486592

pathaka thumbnail
Originally posted by: Lord_Voldemort

Err, many non-readers watched the film and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not everyone went in expecting a Rajamouli/Bhansali film (thankfully)

To cite an example:

https://twitter.com/Maanvi2501/status/1579901247653486592

People who expect an engaging screenplay aren’t expecting baahubali 

Several twiteratti and reviewers unfamiliar with the book have also voiced concerns around random information dump without emotional context and not spending time on the characters …

the usual replies have been   to “go read the book and research” …or ”u guys need melodrama only…this film is way too sophisticated for u folk” type of arrogant comebacks 

Case in point check non Tamil reviewers in filmcompanion

Chiillii thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: pathaka

People who expect an engaging screenplay aren’t expecting baahubali 

Several twiteratti and reviewers unfamiliar with the book have also voiced concerns around random information dump without emotional context and not spending time on the characters …

the usual replies have been   to “go read the book and research” …or ”u guys need melodrama only…this film is way too sophisticated for u folk” type of arrogant comebacks 

Case in point check non Tamil reviewers in filmcompanion

The movie follows the book where the entire story is narrated as a third person account of events through Vandhiyathevan’s (Played by Karthi) eyes.

There is no background or context given to Trish Ash face off or Aditya Karikalan’s behaviour or any background of why Nandini is doing what she is doing because that is how it seems to our hero Karthi. He doesn’t know these people, he meets Aditya on the battlefield becomes his friend and then messenger and comes to Chola kingdom for the first time, where he is again tasked by Trish to take a message to Lanka. How the hell is he supposed to know the background history.

He will find out everything eventually as he is the hero. Layer by layer he will peel of the conspiracies and the charachters 

You have to watch PS2 to understand why Kundavai and Nandini hate each other, there is very much more to their animosity than just jealousy over beauty and status 

Nandini not only is not guided by greed for power there is also vengeance betrayal anguish and pursuit of convoluted sense of justice involved 

It’s like why Kattapa killed Bahubali, you have to watch PS2 to understand

Or like the GOT episode of Hold the door by Bran becoming Hodor

You have to watch part 2 to understand who the hero is and who the real villain is who is an opportunist in the story 

So whoever is asking you to read the book they may be rude but their advice is not wrong

I do feel that probably Mani should have made this a trilogy and then he did not have to skip through the minor charachters that Vandhiathevan meets on the way to reach Arulmozhi  

Edited by Chiillii - 1 years ago
capricornrcks thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

I'll give SLB credit for interesting characters. But screenplay and story are not his strong points. His screen play lets down the characters every single time.What high lows? By the time the characters are done with their temper tantrums and melodrama for all 2-3 hours, I'm left indifferent to these people to whom I was initially attached in the beginning. They lack motivation outside their so-called 'divine' love. Bajirao and Aditya Karikalan are so similar in their temper tantrums and melancholia. Both of them essentially sulk because Mommy/Sis didn't like their girl friend. But politically astute Kundavai is not shown to be a villain because she put the needs of the empire first- unlike Bajirao's mother. And Aditya Karikalan did not refuse to on war and do his damn duty like a Royal.

PS-1 is only half the story. For a proper resolution PS-2 is necessary.

And talking about action scenes, both Bajirao and PS-1 are of the same calibre. Passable.I rather found Bajirao catching arrows in his hand and climbing on the trunk of an elephant equally silly.

Also SLB's stories have all been about 2-3 characters and their dilemma. PS-1 has multiple central characters. It is impossible to devote as much time to each of them in a film. He even cut short the songs to give more time to the story. I've already enumerated the reasons in a previous post why they didn't choose to go for a web-series for their maiden effort.

pathaka thumbnail

Well, I guess that’s the art making a film franchise 

Disclosing enough information to care and invest in the characters (and hence the drama)

But withholding the right information to maintain intrigue 

That balance wasn’t there imo…

@capricorn

And yes highs and lows …building up to a crucial point :.,it’s basic screenplay writing …and I’ve already detailed how said filmmakers (slb etc) for example establish drama or payoff …

And as I already said, if there are so many characters that it’s impossible to properly etch , then that’s a limitation they have to workaround… not expect the audience to “adjust and workaround” it 

Edited by pathaka - 1 years ago