Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MaxMayfield thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 1 years ago

Thank god I’m not the only one who dint like RRR..I LOVED bahubali both parts and Magadheera and Eega like no tomorrow..but RRR? Nope it just made no sense to me at many points..I was actually laughing or cringing at most points..even if it was beautiful visually..it all felt too made up..definitely not something I would watch once again

Edited by MaxMayfield - 1 years ago
ElMystique thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

@TM

Totally agree with most of your points.

This film is a game changer in the historical genre. Mani Ratnam is a genius story teller. I loved the fact that the story is driven totally on human emotions. It was a perfect balance between male and female characters. 

I would like to mention Shobita's words from an interview. She said something on the lines of Vanati is one character archetype she has never played. Now everyone who read the series feel that she is one of the weakling among all the other strong women. But I think Mani Ratnam made sure her voice is heard and her personality shines. 

Though I agree with the fact this film has a strong backing in terms of the storyline which is well written. It is often difficult to execute it as people always have their own imagination. To live upto it is an uphill task. I am sure there are many cinematic depictions of Mahabharatha but not every one can justify it.  Similarly, here I am sure everyone who read the story has been smitten with Vanthiyathevan or others and have a picture etched in their mind. 

To actually capture the essence of all the characters especially in terms of the way the audience percieves them is the key. I guess Mani Ratnam's brilliance and experience shows here. 

RRR and PS-1 cannot be compared as they are two diffrent genres. PS-1 and Baahubali are somewhat on similar lines. Yet Baahubali is an original story so we can cut some slack there. In terms of Box Office I guess Mani Ratnam has an edge being experienced over S.S.  Rajamouli or the KGF director. Besides he said that he had this film planned for about three decades. 

I think SSR and SLB's method of film making is more spontaneous and pro intuition instead of "plan and follow". I guess that is why it takes them more time. Mani Ratnam on contrary seems to focus on simplicity of human emotions despite them being larger than life. 

I am glad they made this film at a low budget and in record time. I am sure other directors can take a leaf from Mani Ratnam's book especially in the post-Pandemic era. Especially SS Rajamouli as he seems to have fallen into these PR games instead of focusing on his strengths.

Edited by ElMystique - 1 years ago
ElMystique thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: PD_forums

I agree he promoted the movie as alluri Sita Rama Raj and another patriotic hero movie. I really thought he is going to show their sacrifice and their story but atleast he just used their names and changed story as his own style which i really didnot like it. 

I am biased towards alluri Sita Rama Raj whose story i read and saw in movies. maybe that is the reasons i was never able to warmup to RRR movie.

@Bold Me too!

The publicity gimmicks were horrendous. I expected so much for RRR to turn out to be a so called Tom and Jerry with VFX. 

colossial2015 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

PSI is a South Indian movie with little hype among people from other region. Most people do not care for this chola period drama. It's not a blockbuster in the country when this movie not popular among people from North, East and West India.

Plus this is not even a Hindi movie in first place.

Lord_Voldemort thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 9
Originally posted by: ElMystique

@TM

Totally agree with most of your points.

This film is a game changer in the historical genre. Mani Ratnam is a genius story teller. I loved the fact that the story is driven totally on human emotions. It was a perfect balance between male and female characters. 

I would like to mention Shobita's words from an interview. She said something on the lines of Vanati is one character archetype she has never played. Now everyone who read the series feel that she is one of the weakling among all the other strong women. But I think Mani Ratnam made sure her voice is heard and her personality shines. 

Though I agree with the fact this film has a strong backing in terms of the storyline which is well written. It is often difficult to execute it as people always have their own imagination. To live upto it is an uphill task. I am sure there are many cinematic depictions of Mahabharatha but not every one can justify it.  Similarly, here I am sure everyone who read the story has been smitten with Vanthiyathevan or others and have a picture etched in their mind. 

To actually capture the essence of all the characters especially in terms of the way the audience percieves them is the key. I guess Mani Ratnam's brilliance and experience shows here. 

RRR and PS-1 cannot be compared as they are two diffrent genres. PS-1 and Baahubali are somewhat on similar lines. Yet Baahubali is an original story so we can cut some slack there. In terms of Box Office I guess Mani Ratnam has an edge being experienced over S.S.  Rajamouli or the KGF director. Besides he said that he had this film planned for about three decades. 

I think SSR and SLB's method of film making is more spontaneous and pro intuition instead of "plan and follow". I guess that is why it takes them more time. Mani Ratnam on contrary seems to focus on simplicity of human emotions despite them being larger than life. 

I am glad they made this film at a low budget and in record time. I am sure other directors can take a leaf from Mani Ratnam's book especially in the post-Pandemic era. Especially SS Rajamouli as he seems to have fallen into these PR games instead of focusing on his strengths.

Agree with most of your points but I don’t understand how Bahubali is an original story and why we should cut some slack? (I actually enjoyed Bahubali 2 btw). It had enough references from Ponniyin Selvan and Lion King. It should be treated like any other film IMO.

arnavfluffy thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

I am so happy to see the success of the film

It has all my fav

Mani Ratnam Ar rahman

Aishwarya Rai History good acting and of course chiyan vikram

1t1svat1t1s thumbnail

A Tamil movie made for the Tamil audiences has made so much money while the Hindi movies made for the so called Pan India audiences are crumbling down like a pack of cards, indeed Mani Ratnam is a masterful Director who knew how to keep his movie within a certain budget but still churn out a masterpiece!

JodhaBai thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Mani is such a good guy and I love all of his films so I'm so happy for him.   

Sense9 thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 5 Thumbnail + 2

I am happy this movie is doing well. This historical/period genre needs to be explored more by modern day Indian cinema.

I haven’t been able to watch it in a hall (haven’t watch any movie in hall during and post covid 😬) but reading the 1st book meanwhile.

Joannna thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Agree with most of you all. The success of PS 1 is commendable because it didn’t have the high octane war scenes and beautiful picturesque songs and focused on dialogue. 

PS 1 is primarily a Tamil movie .

I feel they should have sent lazy Ash 🙈 everywhere in the north and made her promote the movie . In north people weren’t that aware of this movie. But I feel PS 2 will do great business in Hindi belt too coz by then many people would have watched the 1 at part on OTT. 

Same happened with KGF too. KGF 1 wasn’t a huge hit in north but there was so much craze for 2 part coz public loved it on digital. 

Edited by Joannna - 1 years ago